Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 11:22:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "We're launching with a monumental campaign"
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "We're launching with a monumental campaign"  (Read 155730 times)
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #240 on: November 25, 2008, 08:06:05 PM »

Axl's gonna disappear if he gets a bad review or poor sales?

Doubt it.

word .

there are plenty of people who get bad reviews and sales on thing in the entertainment industry.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #241 on: November 25, 2008, 08:17:08 PM »

I am joining the dicussion a bit late but enjoyed reading the last page or so. 

Ignatius makes some excellent points.  I do hope to see Axl promoting the album - or otherwise communicating with the public.

My guess is that there is probably a lot of things he'd rather not address at this point (about the band... um... yeah)
What do you guys tell people who you are talking to about getting CD when they ask who is in Guns N' Roses?
so the CD / the music is sorta being handled "in a vacuum'...   being compartmentalized from the band

How do you promote a CD without key members of the band which made the music?
I'm not saying its not gonna happen - I just wanted sooooo much to see them on say a RS cover or a Guitar World feature with cover...
but how do you do this for CD when Robin (and Buckethead) are gone?  Not discounting Ron and Richard...   *sigh*  I just don't know how they're gonna go about this.

modified to add:   Once an album is out what everyone wants to know is when is the band going to tour.  That's what I've had people asking me.  And I figured - okay when Robin is back...   But...   Well, *sigh*   I don't think Axl wants to talk about this stuff yet.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 08:20:25 PM by Eva GnRAxlRosette » Logged
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #242 on: November 25, 2008, 08:21:33 PM »

BTW: The record company isn't going to try to "recoup" the price tag of this album through sales of CD alone. It's probably been, and will continue to absorb the cost through many different avenues.

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #243 on: November 25, 2008, 08:26:39 PM »

I figured the Best Buy deal knocked out most of the costs anyway as they had to pay an upfront fee I am sure for the exclusive rights.

first album in 17 years though, I just figured we'd have a little more fanfare so far. Chinese Democracy's success means a lot more than people on here are acknowledging.

If CD were to not sell well, Axl may call it a career as he seemed pretty content just relaxing and chilling with a normal life.

Its only been a few days though, so I am hoping they are just waiting for the initial hoopla to wear down and then start the campaign. It makes sense.

I just don't like when people act like CD sales don't matter, cause they do matter and yes to us as fans because I think the success of CD is going to determine a whole lot about the future of GNR.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #244 on: November 25, 2008, 08:32:05 PM »

yeah but you got to look at this as a world wide thing D.  seem like it's doing better overseas then in the states.

plus their is the touring to come and merch , ect...

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #245 on: November 25, 2008, 08:35:30 PM »

I don't see the concern.....just enjoy the album fer chrissake.

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #246 on: November 25, 2008, 08:39:44 PM »

My two cents...

To the people posting things like "Axl will let the music speak for itself" sure don't know what show-biz is all about.

Show business is a business and this applies to every mega STAR who happens to be involved in one way or another. Think about a blockbuster film for example, every time before a big movie release you get the BIG NAMES in all television shows and movie premieres world wide. We are talking about the likes of Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Christian Bale...those names surely are way bigger than Axl is now as far as celebritiness (just made out that word) goes. Do you think they like to sit down with at some hotel with one journalist at the time and answer the same questions for 7 straight hours??

That's their job. They do it because they are told to. And if those big names obey the rules, Axl has no other way to get around it.

Axl doesn't own the industry, sure he does things a little bit than most artists. However, he's in the music business and in this business, the artists never decide what's best for the people who PLACE their art out there. In this case, is the label who decides what the artist does to promote the album. Universal has spent $11 million, do you actually think for one second they are going to sit around and do nothing hoping that the album will sell for itself?

No chance.

Universal is probably waiting to receive the first week's numbers and will act accordingly. This CD is the most expected album in the history of music and that sure will be enough to register great numbers in the first week or two, but will probably lose some momentum soon after. I'm almost positive a huge monumental campaign is coming up.

Chinese Democracy is to music what the "Dark Night" is to film. Both pieces had tremendous expectation and anticipation long before their release. The reasons for this are obviously different, but in a way, it prompts the same reaction. We all knew the "Dark Knight" was going to top the box office the first week and I'm pretty sure Chinese Democracy will do the same. The Dark Night is also an amazing film but that would not have been enough to make this movie the second biggest film all time in the US.  When the Dark Knight premiered, didn?t you guys see the actors and director going to dozens of promotions around the world? Didn?t you see all kinds of interviews to the entire cast?? Man, I can only say I got fed up after a while. Christian Bale was everywhere.

That's exactly what will happen to GNR and Axl Rose (well, don't really know but this is what it SHOULD happen)

What I'm trying to say, in this business, a good film or album with the highest expectations is never enough. Whether the artists like it or not, they are a part of the game and Axl is no exception. He will go public when the label tells him to and I'm pretty sure this will happen in a few weeks time. Hey, this is something that goes to his (Axl) interest. The more CD's GNR sell, the more money he will get in royalties and the more money GNR will get paid to tour. It's really a numbers game.

So for those who think Axl "will let the music speak for itself" you will be surprised. Watch.

By the way, I know nothing. This is me just speculating and have no secret sources or anything.

On a side note, how awesome is Chinese Democracy?? New favorite track is Sorry  ok

Edit: I dont know if the Dark Night is a film, problably is. I was referring to "The Dark Knight" of course.

Of course they have to do some sort of promotion but we also have Axl's own words from a few years back to go by where he said that he will let the mucic do the talking or something like that, but as far as I remember that was in reference to his story with GN'R, and as we know, a certain song on CD speaks for itself quite well, but who knows, his opinions may have changed or they may not have, all I have to go by is what he said back then. Just pointing out that the "music will speak for itself" thing isn't entirely made up by fans.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
efish
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #247 on: November 25, 2008, 08:41:41 PM »

No matter what anyone says, it is kind of bizzare that CHINESE DEMOCRACY is actually out and we haven't heard from Axl yet.

The good news is that there is no way he will stay silent forever. When the time is right (my guess is sometime in the next 2 weeks) and he finds the right source to get his word out, whether it be a Kurt Lorder or Del James interview or whatever, we'll hear from the man.

To be honest, I'd much rather get one 'real' indepth interview.... talking about each song, what's been going on behind the scenes all these years, and plans for the future..... rather than just going on talk shows to mindlessly promote something.

Either way, when Axl does decide to step out into the spotlight, it should be awesome.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 08:43:14 PM by EFISH » Logged
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #248 on: November 25, 2008, 11:11:23 PM »

No matter what anyone says, it is kind of bizzare that CHINESE DEMOCRACY is actually out and we haven't heard from Axl yet.

The good news is that there is no way he will stay silent forever. When the time is right (my guess is sometime in the next 2 weeks) and he finds the right source to get his word out, whether it be a Kurt Lorder or Del James interview or whatever, we'll hear from the man.

To be honest, I'd much rather get one 'real' indepth interview.... talking about each song, what's been going on behind the scenes all these years, and plans for the future..... rather than just going on talk shows to mindlessly promote something.

Either way, when Axl does decide to step out into the spotlight, it should be awesome.

maybe another in-studio appearance with eddie trunck or something like that
efish
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #249 on: November 25, 2008, 11:19:42 PM »

maybe another in-studio appearance with eddie trunck or something like that

Yeah that would be great. Axl feels comfortable in that situation too. It wouldn't be any kind of massive promotion but it would deffinetly be cool for us die-hards.  peace
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #250 on: November 25, 2008, 11:58:41 PM »

does this count as promotion:

Chinese Democracy streamed more than 8.4 million times

Chinese Democracy scored a record 8.4 million streams when the album debuted on MySpace beginning midnight on Thursday, November 20 through midnight Sunday, November 23. The premiere of Chinese Democracy was the biggest promotion in MySpace's five year history, with every MySpace territory signing on to participate.

Chinese Democracy (Black Frog/Geffen Records) is available on CD and vinyl (accompanied by a free digital download of the tracks) at Best Buy and Best Buy.com in the U.S., and digitally through iTunes.

Wink
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #251 on: November 26, 2008, 12:01:56 AM »

Chinese Democracy scored a record 8.4 million streams when the album debuted on MySpace beginning midnight on Thursday, November 20 through midnight Sunday, November 23. The premiere of Chinese Democracy was the biggest promotion in MySpace's five year history, with every MySpace territory signing on to participate.

Chinese Democracy (Black Frog/Geffen Records) is available on CD and vinyl (accompanied by a free digital download of the tracks) at Best Buy and Best Buy.com in the U.S., and digitally through iTunes.

Wink

yeah, but I am probably responsible for 100 of those myself. That doesn't mean 8 million people streamed it.

U still have to get out to the masses and to the non fan. I think the Best Buy deal has definitely made it to where promotion isn't as big a deal since they probably are already paid for the CD.

Lets just be honest for  a second.

we don't give a shit about promotion, we just want that Axl interview. I know I do. I just expected maybe a video and at least a huge Axl cover story/Cover photo etc.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #252 on: November 26, 2008, 12:03:16 AM »

Wink

yeh thats good online promotion,
fantastic actually,
but Im really looking forward to seeing a music video,
where it will be all over youtube/tv/peoples ipods etc...
then the ball will start rolling for the wider general public.

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #253 on: November 26, 2008, 12:12:27 AM »

Wink

8.4 million didn't buy the album either. That statistic shows interest but whether it translates to sales is another story.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #254 on: November 26, 2008, 12:31:40 AM »

I think the real thing is gonna be the #s for world sales in 1 week, I have a feeling whatever record thts thee now will be shattered.

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #255 on: November 26, 2008, 12:55:58 AM »

What I'm trying to say, in this business, a good film or album with the highest expectations is never enough. Whether the artists like it or not, they are a part of the game and Axl is no exception. He will go public when the label tells him to and I'm pretty sure this will happen in a few weeks time. Hey, this is something that goes to his (Axl) interest. The more CD's GNR sell, the more money he will get in royalties and the more money GNR will get paid to tour. It's really a numbers game.

Great post Ignatius. I was under the impression that Axl sold his royalties (old and new material) to Sanctuary/Black Frog, etc. for around 20 million British Pounds in 2004 though. That's the potential "fly in the ointment" in all of this IMHO. We may be dealing with a situation where the great artist has created his masterpiece and is indifferent (financially) to the world reaction because he has ALREADY been compensated for his efforts. He's produced a great album that upholds the finest traditions of the band name. The rest is up to the marketing "brain trust" at Universal and Best Buy. Any failure to sell albums is THEIR failure- not Axl's. Not saying that's the case... but my suspicions will rise if Axl really does refrain from getting involved and the album quietly disappears from the charts.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #256 on: November 26, 2008, 01:03:03 AM »

Great post Ignatius. I was under the impression that Axl sold his royalties (old and new material) to Sanctuary/Black Frog, etc. for around 20 million British Pounds in 2004 though. That's the potential "fly in the ointment" in all of this IMHO. We may be dealing with a situation where the great artist has created his masterpiece and is indifferent (financially) to the world reaction because he has ALREADY been compensated for his efforts. He's produced a great album that upholds the finest traditions of the band name. The rest is up to the marketing "brain trust" at Universal and Best Buy. Any failure to sell albums is THEIR failure- not Axl's. Not saying that's the case... but my suspicions will rise if Axl really does refrain from getting involved and the album quietly disappears from the charts.

Exactly, as an artist, whether or not he gains financially, makes no difference. He'd be there promoting because he wants people to listen to the music and enjoy the work he has taken part in for years.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #257 on: November 26, 2008, 08:52:59 AM »

I think the real thing is gonna be the #s for world sales in 1 week, I have a feeling whatever record thts thee now will be shattered.

i wouldn't take that bet Undecided
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #258 on: November 26, 2008, 09:39:27 AM »

Wink

8.4 million didn't buy the album either. That statistic shows interest but whether it translates to sales is another story.

It's obviously impossible to draw a direct correlation, but a number that high (I realize it's not entirely exclusive plays from different IP addresses) should have indicated higher sales figures than the numbers that hits daily double is kicking around.  Their U.S. estimates would appear to point out that while an enormous number of people listened, they weren't impressed enough to buy the disc. 
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #259 on: November 26, 2008, 09:45:49 AM »

Wink

It's obviously impossible to draw a direct correlation, but a number that high (I realize it's not entirely exclusive plays from different IP addresses) should have indicated higher sales figures than the numbers that hits daily double is kicking around.  Their U.S. estimates would appear to point out that while an enormous number of people listened, they weren't impressed enough to buy the disc. 

I agree that it is a promising sign, but hopefully it didn't motivate people to stream for free, buy individual tracks on iTunes, and skip the album purchase. I dunno, the record industry has changed so much in the digital age and consumers have unprecedented access to music before they commit to a purchase. I hope it all pans out.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: