Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 06:04:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228145 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "We're launching with a monumental campaign"
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "We're launching with a monumental campaign"  (Read 144098 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2008, 12:53:32 PM »

Not being funny but Michael Jacksons History was a monumental campaign, Oasis' Be Here Now was a monumental campaign, the only advertising I would have seen for Chinese Democracy had I not gone out of my way to find it on the internet was the full page advert in The Sun last month!
I really hope by monumental campaign they meant a prolonged campaign with many singles in the future.

I have personnally talked about the album to so many of my mates that my own campaign has seen at least 20 copys pre-ordered!!

I mean hell, I know Kayne West has an album out next week and I don't even listen to the dude, the avarage man in the street has no idea that this album is coming so soon. atleast that's my point of view outside of Radio One in the UK.

I honestly don't remember but....didn't those ad campaigns really get rolling AFTER the album was released?  Not really prior to.  I mean, sure...there was a ton of press (not paid for).  And some billboards/posters, couple newspaper/magazine splash pages....but that was just ramp up.  They got HUGE, I thought, once there was product to actually buy.

Now, that's not saying CD will be "huge" in terms of the two examples you mentioned.  But I wouldn't judge the campaign until after the album comes out.  Because, especially with CD, there is a certain amount of "out of sight, out of mind" with the product.  They can see ads, but if there's nothing to BUY, consumers are just going to forget about the product (or think: Yeah right, it'll get delayed again) and then the ad money is wasted.

IMHO, you want to get the information that there is going to BE a product out there, but you don't really want to push it down consumers throats until there is something on the shelf for them to buy. THAT'S when you hit every media source there is.  We'll see if that's the tact they take.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Axl Z
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2008, 12:59:12 PM »

In comparison to efforts from 50 Cent, Kanye West, Britney and other mainstream acts, GN'R hasn't gotten into everyone's faces about promotion. I don't think they need to.

I think credibility/art is always Axl's main concern. He could easily sell his soul to MTV, FOX and other bullshit organizations that know shit about music... they know about music business but not music.

Since day 1, Axl has knocked bands that try to be commercial. GN'R doesn't want to be commercial... commercial comes to GN'R and GN'R can pick and choose what it wants to do.

Unlike Metallica who try to pinch a penny anyway they can... GN'R is about the music. Not the money.

So am I suprised I don't hear or see a CD ad every 20 seconds?? Nope.

True, But remember this is the Music 'Business', i couldn't care less if Chinese Democracy gets to Number One in the charts or not, that means squat to me.
All I care about is getting the album and rocking out.
I've just never heard of any business plan since Michael Jacksons Invincible album where they didn't seem to want to shift copys by giving it a push. they need to recoup the costs of production somehow, Maybe they have no budget for promotion now?  Wink

2002 - Docklands Arena, London
2006 - Hammersmith Apollo, London
2006 - Wembley Arena, London
2010 - O2 Arena, London
2017 - Olympic Park, London
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2008, 01:00:36 PM »

bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch...

some people will never be happy with anything.  posters everywhere, ads on tv, ads on the radio, TWO HUGE SINGLES, official listening parties around the world, a merch box set to come... but it's never enough. 

i'm really sorry that axl didn't tap dance the album to your house and cook dinner while you listened to it, but get real.  this ad campaign is already monumental and it will only get more monumental in the last 3 days.
Black Betty
Headliner

« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2008, 01:10:05 PM »

It would really suck if some phony like Kanye West beats out Chinese in sales. He's out there beating up paparazzi now to get back in the headlines and tabloids.
Axl Z
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2008, 01:12:08 PM »

Not bitching, just saying it doesn't seem as monumental as I would have thought, I guess the mystery surrounding the album might be all it needs..

get real.  this ad campaign is already monumental and it will only get more monumental in the last 3 days.

Haven't seen anything but an advert in the paper a month ago, maybe something big will happen but outside of GN'R fans I don't think many know this is happening, I mean Be Here Now sold around 300,000 copys in its first day, wasn't the best album but that was a monumental campaign to get one-day sales like that, same could be said for films and video-games like Jurassic Park and Halo, they had monumental campaigns behind them.
I'm just saying I hope monumental meant a prolonged campaign, like what George Michael did with Older, he almost released every track off that album. in a period of time over 3 years.
I'd love to see a load of new fans at the new gigs but think it'll just be old fans there still as we're all that seems to be pre-ordering it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 01:17:27 PM by Axl Z » Logged

2010 - O2 Arena, London
Moonlight J
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2008, 01:18:58 PM »

W. Rose can tap?! Grin
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #146 on: November 18, 2008, 01:23:50 PM »

Once the album's out, word-of-mouth will spread for sure.

I am starting to wonder whether Axl's going to have any visual presence in this campaign at all though.

And there goes the challenger...
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #147 on: November 18, 2008, 01:27:46 PM »

It would really suck if some phony like Kanye West beats out Chinese in sales. He's out there beating up paparazzi now to get back in the headlines and tabloids.

it's prob gonna happen... he sells like 800,000 at least with new albums. hopefully since he's "singing" on the album and not rapping... people won't care. Also Britney is releasing an album...

"They don?t make ?em like Vince Neil or Tommy Lee anymore. And there sure hasn?t been another Axl Rose. " via MSNBC- 2008.

"Think For Yourself, Question Authority"

HUMOR = Negative Karma
demanding_GNR_rock
Headliner

« Reply #148 on: November 18, 2008, 01:29:38 PM »

Not bitching, just saying it doesn't seem as monumental as I would have thought, I guess the mystery surrounding the album might be all it needs..

get real.  this ad campaign is already monumental and it will only get more monumental in the last 3 days.

Haven't seen anything but an advert in the paper a month ago, maybe something big will happen but outside of GN'R fans I don't think many know this is happening, I mean Be Here Now sold around 300,000 copys in its first day, wasn't the best album but that was a monumental campaign to get one-day sales like that, same could be said for films and video-games like Jurassic Park and Halo, they had monumental campaigns behind them.
I'm just saying I hope monumental meant a prolonged campaign, like what George Michael did with Older, he almost released every track off that album. in a period of time over 3 years.
I'd love to see a load of new fans at the new gigs but think it'll just be old fans there still as we're all that seems to be pre-ordering it.

Love the last line, it is exactly my feelings, Its gonna be the same fans at the gigs as were at the ones 20 years ago. There has certainly in the UK being no 'monumental campaign' and as someone said earlier only those who listen to radio 1 have any idea the album is coming out. Its all well and good telling people to stop bitching and be happy that it here at last but what a shame it would be if something as monumental as CD got beaten to no1 by killers or kanye? and faded into obscurity like so many other albums and bands in the past have. Then all people will remember CD as a flop and not worth the wait. CD should be on everyones lips, every Djs play list getting major airtime and it just isnt that is not monumental!
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #149 on: November 18, 2008, 01:32:24 PM »

cd would be the number one album even if the beatles were resurrected and released a new album.  come the fuck on man... this is CHINESE DEMOCRACY, the most anticipated album of all time.  it honestly doesn't need a bit of marketing, but the truth is it's had tons!

stop being a nay-sayer.  this album will not flop beacuase the music is amazing and inspirational.  in a week, you're going to feel foolish for having these fears.
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2008, 01:33:35 PM »

Well be prepared, because it's probably going to happen.

I don't want this to be the case, but it might not even be close.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #151 on: November 18, 2008, 01:35:25 PM »

On pre-orders ALONE...it looks like it will at least be "close".  It might even be a landslide...for GnR.  We'll see.....

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GunnerOne 84
VIP

« Reply #152 on: November 18, 2008, 01:38:54 PM »

On pre-orders ALONE...it looks like it will at least be "close".  It might even be a landslide...for GnR.  We'll see.....

The last time Kanye West released an album, he sold just shy of 1,000,000 copies in the first week alone. And that was with 50 Cent going against him the same day.

I'm not knocking Axl or GNR, I'm just saying don't be shocked if they get beat.

demanding_GNR_rock
Headliner

« Reply #153 on: November 18, 2008, 01:39:59 PM »

cd would be the number one album even if the beatles were resurrected and released a new album.  come the fuck on man... this is CHINESE DEMOCRACY, the most anticipated album of all time.  it honestly doesn't need a bit of marketing, but the truth is it's had tons!

stop being a nay-sayer.  this album will not flop beacuase the music is amazing and inspirational.  in a week, you're going to feel foolish for having these fears.

ARE YOU ON CRACK!LMAO
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2008, 01:50:03 PM »

Next he'll be getting into fights with Tommy Hilfiger!... How exactly is Kanye West a phony?  Just because you don't like him?  

As for the monumental campaign?  I think some of you are looking to deep into one little word that was included into a press release for the purposes of hype.  Get over it, guys, the album is actually coming out.

Also:  Rock Band 2, Body of Lies, Dr. Pepper, Best Buy exclusive, New Website, New Myspace, 2 Singles, TV commercials (including Monday Night Football), Posters lining walls in major cities, fake "Chinese Democracy" parking tickets placed on windshields, Free single on Itunes with pre-order (plus advertising on the iTunes store front page), CD Listening parties.... and there is still 5 days until the album is released, who knows what could come after?  Music Videos? Interviews? Tour?  A year ago we had nothing.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2008, 01:56:16 PM »

The last time Kanye West released an album, he sold just shy of 1,000,000 copies in the first week alone. And that was with 50 Cent going against him the same day.

This new Kanye album doesn't seem to have nearly the hype as the last two though.  Plus CD has 2 extra days being out on Sunday.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #156 on: November 18, 2008, 02:00:29 PM »

Next he'll be getting into fights with Tommy Hilfiger!... How exactly is Kanye West a phony?  Just because you don't like him?  

As for the monumental campaign?  I think some of you are looking to deep into one little word that was included into a press release for the purposes of hype.  Get over it, guys, the album is actually coming out.

Also:  Rock Band 2, Body of Lies, Dr. Pepper, Best Buy exclusive, New Website, New Myspace, 2 Singles, TV commercials (including Monday Night Football), Posters lining walls in major cities, fake "Chinese Democracy" parking tickets placed on windshields, Free single on Itunes with pre-order (plus advertising on the iTunes store front page), CD Listening parties.... and there is still 5 days until the album is released, who knows what could come after?  Music Videos? Interviews? Tour?  A year ago we had nothing.
Thats all?  Not enough for foaming GnR fans!  rofl

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
GunnerOne 84
VIP

« Reply #157 on: November 18, 2008, 02:05:27 PM »

This new Kanye album doesn't seem to have nearly the hype as the last two though.  Plus CD has 2 extra days being out on Sunday.

It is now beating CD on iTunes.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2008, 02:09:41 PM »

Kanye & The Killers are both now coming out on Monday... but I'm confused how the charts work, wouldn't that make their first week of sales THIS week and counting only 1 or 2 days?
Axl Z
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #159 on: November 18, 2008, 02:14:34 PM »

Kanye & The Killers are both now coming out on Monday... but I'm confused how the charts work, wouldn't that make their first week of sales THIS week and counting only 1 or 2 days?

I know in the UK that pre-sale figures are added to first day sales as you shouldn't be debited effectivly for the product until this date, this means that it's going to shift a lot of copys from preorders alone on Monday here. Am unsure how this works elsewhere in the world but the UK weekly album chart isn't announced until the Sunday after Mondays releases.
For example, If it was released on Sunday here it would be chart eligiable from that very day.

2010 - O2 Arena, London
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: