Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 09:44:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "We're launching with a monumental campaign"
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "We're launching with a monumental campaign"  (Read 144305 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #560 on: December 07, 2008, 07:17:16 PM »

So u are assuming everybody should share your point of view?

If people shared the same points of view, Message forums wouldn't exist.

Once again, how is anyone in this thread "bringing somebody down"

I haven't heard any negativity in here at all. All people are doing is pointing out the obvious and wanting answers as to why the biggest CD has been handled the way it has been handled.

nothing wrong with that.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #561 on: December 07, 2008, 09:17:27 PM »

its safe to assume that something didnt go according to plan.... and that Axl's not pleased about something.
since Merck got fired for the 12 week comment, and not setting up the promotion properly...-no video, no nothing,....

the promotion that the band ultimately recieved is on the same level with the one merck (didnt)"arranged" in 2006..

and back then, there was the MTVvma, the Harley add... and a tour going on at the same time... much more promotion, that this.

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #562 on: December 07, 2008, 09:36:53 PM »

its safe to assume that something didnt go according to plan.... and that Axl's not pleased about something.
since Merck got fired for the 12 week comment, and not setting up the promotion properly...-no video, no nothing,....

Even more reason to expect something big coming up if that's the case.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #563 on: December 07, 2008, 09:41:36 PM »

I wonder if they are going to launch something huge in the next fortnight to really cash in for christmas,
as if there going to get alot of sales which they are no doubt hoping for,
now is as good as time as any to do it.

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #564 on: December 08, 2008, 12:02:25 AM »

younggunner, if you have heard Ron play with GN'R then I have a hard time understanding how you can claim he has "a drowned out noodling sound". I went to two GN'R concerts in 2006, and on one of them I brought my sister. She is a big fan of November Rain, and when Ron came out and did the end solo for that song we both looked at each other like "holy shit!". The dude nailed it. My sis used to like Slash alot but after hearing Ron's playing on that solo she felt like he nailed it even more than Slash in old GN'R bootlegs I've shown her. So don't tell me that Ron can't attract or impress people with his playing, he is just as good as Buckethead IMO.

Never said Ron cant attract or impress people. I dont think hes as good as Bucket but if you do thats fine too. Its subjective.

Also, I think it's kind of stupid of you to say that GN'R won't do great from here on. That's a very pathetic prediction from someone who usually seems to know his GN'R stuff. I'm afraid you'll be proven wrong. GN'R will prevail regardless, Bucket or no Bucket. Seems to me you are just bitter about his departure.
Never said that either. Just saying that there best shot at the ultimate comeback is with the 02 lineup.

As I have said 1000x, Gnr will roll right along. So your preaching to the choir. I dont want gnr to fail, Im not a hater.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #565 on: December 08, 2008, 12:07:37 AM »

younggunner, if you have heard Ron play with GN'R then I have a hard time understanding how you can claim he has "a drowned out noodling sound". I went to two GN'R concerts in 2006, and on one of them I brought my sister. She is a big fan of November Rain, and when Ron came out and did the end solo for that song we both looked at each other like "holy shit!". The dude nailed it. My sis used to like Slash alot but after hearing Ron's playing on that solo she felt like he nailed it even more than Slash in old GN'R bootlegs I've shown her. So don't tell me that Ron can't attract or impress people with his playing, he is just as good as Buckethead IMO.

Never said Ron cant attract or impress people. I dont think hes as good as Bucket but if you do thats fine too. Its subjective.

Also, I think it's kind of stupid of you to say that GN'R won't do great from here on. That's a very pathetic prediction from someone who usually seems to know his GN'R stuff. I'm afraid you'll be proven wrong. GN'R will prevail regardless, Bucket or no Bucket. Seems to me you are just bitter about his departure.
Never said that either. Just saying that there best shot at the ultimate comeback is with the 02 lineup.

As I have said 1000x, Gnr will roll right along. So your preaching to the choir. I dont want gnr to fail, Im not a hater.

Younggunner, nothing wrong with anything you said.  2 of the biggest pieces of the album are no longer around.  You can move forward, sure.. but its a different band.. again.. 

I don't buy that anything "Big" is about to happen.  The album is out now.  It will sell by word of mouth and do fine.  I don't expect much more money to be pumped into this album.
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #566 on: December 08, 2008, 12:12:54 AM »

I remember Axl saying in his open letter he wanted a time so they could set up a music video, ect.  Must of changed his mind, or maybe their in the process ?

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
BKinNYC
Rocker

Worrying's a waste of my time.

« Reply #567 on: December 08, 2008, 12:32:10 AM »

I wonder if they are going to launch something huge in the next fortnight to really cash in for christmas,
as if there going to get alot of sales which they are no doubt hoping for,
now is as good as time as any to do it.

OK, I've asked this question a million times.  Not to be a dick, but what do you people expect to happen that's so "monumental?"  Do you honestly think a music video or interview is going to pump the sales way up on CD?  If so, you're in for a letdown.  Nobody in the U.S. cares about videos anymore, and after all of the reviews in pretty much every paper and magazine (both positive and negative), people have already made up their minds if they're going to buy it or not.

Do you really think an interview with Axl saying "You know, this band worked really hard blah blah blah" is going to make random people run out to Best Buy?   If so, you're dreaming.

Face it, we (myself included) want an interview because we're fans.  Deep down inside we know it'll have no affect on sales, if that's what you're concerned about.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #568 on: December 08, 2008, 12:56:04 AM »

You would STILL believe that given the somewhat "flaky"/unpredictable nature of Buckethead (not sure he wants to be a big-time rock star), Robin Finck (constantly distracted by NIN and disliked Bucket) AND Brain (close to Bucket and took time off once already)? The 2002 tour was "interesting" while it lasted- but the abrupt ending (and subsequent withdrawal from RIR '04) was not by coincidence. That would hardly be the line-up I would be "banking on" for delivering a great GN'R comeback- although it probably comes closest to the unpredictability of the old band (not necessarily a good thing).

The 06-07 line-up with Frank was professional and STILL a highly skilled outfit with great chemistry. I think that's actually what people want to see out of GN'R (i.e. chemistry, consistency and reliability) at this point in time before they buy into the whole thing. I'm not even sure the whole Axl-lead guitarist dynamic thing is all that important either- just as long as the guitarists have "the chops" to be on stage as "Guns N' Roses" (no problem for Thal or Fortus). It's the OVERALL performance from top to bottom that counts now IMHO.

If Axl can come out every night with great energy, sound incredible, and the band can play the ENTIRE catalog flawlessly behind him- including the lead guitarists- MOST rock fans will go home PSYCHED and open to going out and buying the new material IMHO. Just like they probably do after an ACDC or Metallica show. That's the name of the game when you hit your mid 40's as an artist or "act" IMHO. CONSISTENCY and RELIABILITY.... things the '02 line-up severely lacked.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #569 on: December 08, 2008, 01:06:09 AM »

Well i disagree..I really think if Axl did a interview and if they put out a video it would really help sales.......Lots of people read mags and watch TV ..I havent heard a new guns song on the radio yet..and i listen to the radio most days..
I think that guns n roses are well none for there GREAT videos.....And a new one would even help premote the new band..even if its just a live video..
I guess Axl has his reasons for not doing these things....Maybe these are on the way..Untill Axl talks we wont know why we havent got these things..
Anyway at least we have this AWESOME cd finally.. ok

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #570 on: December 08, 2008, 01:35:07 AM »

No offense but it does sometimes sound like you'd be happy with any GNR lead guitarist except Ron.
I really liked both Bucket and Robin, and i'm not putting them down, but i like Ron too, and i don't see your distinction. They're all excellent guitar players, and obviously Bucket and Ron are in a whole different league than your average player in terms of ability - so what makes one dynamic and the other not?

I really dont hate Ron or anything. I think he is very good. I just think Bucket is better personally than Ron. To me Bucket sounds better live. He has an explosive sound whereas Ron has a very drowned out noodling type sound. Idk hard to explain. Its a matter of taste I guess but I think Bucket is a great player.

As for the non music aspects, I just think the whole Bucket image and mystique is just what this band needed. Will Ron do the job? Yea, but imo he doesnt stand out musically or image wise enough like Bucket would have.

My whole point is not that GNR cant do well from here on out. They will be just fine. Im just saying I dont think they will have that "big comeback" like they could have with the other new lineup. And its not Axls fault either. You cant force people to stay in a band.

When I saw Bucket live (msg 02) his playing was sort of crisper than Ron's (hammerstein 06) was when I saw him, but I think they're both capable of doing basically anything they want with a guitar. I think Bucket has a more distinctive sound, meaning he prefers to play a certain way, whereas Ron seems to like to not play a certain way. It is a matter of taste, but to me Ron is one of a handful of people who can really properly fill Bucket's shoes, both technically and creatively. I dig their solo stuff about equally.

As for the image, I can see what you mean about Bucket standing out (obviously!), but while I think that would be partially good for the band it would also have been bad. More attention both good and bad. Axl alone could do that if he so chose. Ron is miles away from that sort of thing, but that can have it's pluses too, as he's a very likable everyman guy, fun and cool.
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #571 on: December 08, 2008, 03:06:04 AM »

I've never seen Buckethead live, but his work outside GnR impresses me a hell of a lot more than Ron's. When I saw GnR back in 2006 it was a cool show, but neither Ron nor Robin's playing actually impressed me that much.
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #572 on: December 08, 2008, 03:35:28 AM »

About the video, Rolling Stone mentioned one being in the works in their short-lived article like a month and a half ago. Anybody remember? Who knows though. I'm just saying, don't rule any of that shit out yet. Might be here sooner than you think.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #573 on: December 08, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »

About the video, Rolling Stone mentioned one being in the works in their short-lived article like a month and a half ago. Anybody remember? Who knows though. I'm just saying, don't rule any of that shit out yet. Might be here sooner than you think.

I thought it would be here a month ago, so no, it might not be...  Grin
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:27:01 PM by demo23nz » Logged
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #574 on: December 08, 2008, 06:21:46 PM »

You would STILL believe that given the somewhat "flaky"/unpredictable nature of Buckethead (not sure he wants to be a big-time rock star), Robin Finck (constantly distracted by NIN and disliked Bucket) AND Brain (close to Bucket and took time off once already)? The 2002 tour was "interesting" while it lasted- but the abrupt ending (and subsequent withdrawal from RIR '04) was not by coincidence. That would hardly be the line-up I would be "banking on" for delivering a great GN'R comeback- although it probably comes closest to the unpredictability of the old band (not necessarily a good thing).

dungbeetle pretty much answered all of that.

How? By saying Axl was MORE erratic than Buckethead in '02? So what. Irrelevant since Axl's not going anywhere. The issue is that Buckethead and Robin are perpetual threats to bolt. They could therefore single-handedly sabotage any "comeback" on their own- even if Axl's on his BEST behavior. Ron, Richard, Frank are all solid guys you can count on.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
jemin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #575 on: December 08, 2008, 07:06:34 PM »

Chris Berman just mentioned the "music of Guns N Roses" on Monday Night Countdown.  So I assume they will play some new gnr to the highlights from yesterdays games!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #576 on: December 08, 2008, 07:18:26 PM »

Chris Berman just mentioned the "music of Guns N Roses" on Monday Night Countdown.  So I assume they will play some new gnr to the highlights from yesterdays games!
Did they do anything yet?  I just tuned in.

They just played "Better" going into commercial.  Just for 15 seconds or so, but it was listed as

Better
Guns N' Roses
Chinese Democracy
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 07:30:15 PM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Josh
Headliner

« Reply #577 on: December 08, 2008, 07:29:38 PM »

Did they do anything yet?  I just tuned in.

Oh yeah!  Little riff from Better!
jemin
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #578 on: December 08, 2008, 07:30:20 PM »

They just played a bit of Better!
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #579 on: December 08, 2008, 08:13:05 PM »

I saw Ron with GnR three times during the 06 tour and November Rain was not his best by a mile, a bit too sloppy for my taste. Bucket, however, was always very sharp on this song.

He played well at MSG and Worchester, but Hammerstein was not his best show, probably had jitters.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 08:21:03 PM by killingvector » Logged

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: