Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 04:37:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "We're launching with a monumental campaign"
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "We're launching with a monumental campaign"  (Read 144671 times)
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #520 on: December 06, 2008, 05:26:57 PM »

This is what people want Axl to do: Go on Jay Leno and Jerry Springer and Ricki Lake and TV-Shop and be all like "Hi everybody! This is Axl! Grin Please buy my new record, pretty please, and if you do, I'm going to repay you the favor by talking a little about myself and my home life! Grin"

Fuck that.

Axl is probably the last rockstar on earth with true artistic integrity, and I have nothing but respect and admiration for that.

I agree. All this speculation by all these people is pure and utter bullshit. As Axl himself said in that open letter, nobody knows or could possibly fathom what all of the inner workings and problems Axls encountered while trying to get this album out. It's ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. Leave Axl alone. The album is frigging awesome. Be happy about that and content and leave the dude alone.

To me it's unbelievable that when we finally have the album any of us have been waiting for for more than a decade, some fans are still not content. I think the general GN'R fanbase outside the internet is happy though, it's just these upset internet geeks who demand that Axl should dance around on TV for them, and even then they probably wouldn't be content. Some people are never happy, and to be honest that's damn sad.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #521 on: December 06, 2008, 06:00:26 PM »

So, I don't think that'll be a problem, cause sales are already going pretty good.

#1 Rock Album on US (#3)
#1 Rock Album on iTunes
#1 Europe
#1 Americas (considering it's #1 in Brazil***, Colombia, Argentina and Canada)

And just like some posters said and I agree: everything has been planned this way. On a market p.ov. they just don't want to simply hit the top, sell tons now and quickly fall all the way down the charts. The goal is to stay on good positions as long as possible.

At the first moment let the music do the talking: it's an awesome long time expected historical album, GNR and rock fans are buying it and showing to there non fan friends who will buy too.
Then, the "where's Axl" public question. That alone can bring some atention to the band/CD.

When sales start to decrease (this or next month) maybe we'll have interview(s), video, tour annoucement, a ballad as a single (SOD or TIL), DVD... and so on. Then CD will be introduced to any kind of people still unaware of it, keeping up the sales. On a long term it will sell much more than those that sold 700,000 copies on the first week.

When they're done with CD,  in one or two years (touring on the most of that period), we'll have everything again with the second album. Same thing with the third, fourth... In other words, I think the plan Axl told on 2002 is still the same and is a very effective one.

***You don't know how much happy I was when I gave my CD to a non fan friend, and she just loved it. And even more when I went to 2 different stores here in Rio to buy it again and it was already out of stock!! Less than one week of its releasing here! On the third store I bought two copies and there were only two more left.

Well, the album will be out of the US top ten this week. No press, no video, many Best Buys are taking down the cardboard knockdown display.

It is world No. 1 but it has been a soft number 1 with only 640k units pushed. Black Ice moved over 5 million units in its first week. And those numbers were put up without Walmart's help.  Kinda puts the GnR number in perspective.

The promotional push here in the States never materialized.

As a friend of mine said on another board, this campaign has only show evidence that everyone was paid upfront.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #522 on: December 06, 2008, 06:07:37 PM »

Richard and Ron are guitar players in GUNS N' ROSES.
and very good ones. But again, imo, they arent as marketable and help establish the identiity of gnr like Bucket and or Robin could have.

You're absolutely right. Robin Finck and Buckethead are phenomenal artists and are very charismatic/attention-grabbing. Their contributions to Chinese Democracy are undeniable- and I probably have as much of a "man crush" on Robin that you have on Buckethead.  

All that said- it could be that they simply aren't the right guitarists for GN'R AT THIS POINT IN TIME. First of all- they apparently dislike each other (allegedly coming to blows before the MSG '02 concert). Meanwhile, individually, they each have issues that make them MAJOR LIABILITIES even if only one of them was/is in the band. Buckethead was/is a threat at any moment to say "Fuck this. I don't want to be a big rock star.", pack up his toys and go back to being a cult "cartoon" hero to his "Star Wars nerd" fan base (I can say that b/c I'm a Star Wars nerd too). Robin on the other hand is a liability to bail every time Trent Reznor has a fucking bowel movement.

How the hell can GN'R expect to move forward with confidence with either of these guys- much less both of them? It's too big a risk. Meanwhile- Bumblefoot and Fortus are phenomenal guitarists. One an ueber-skilled virtuoso capable of playing ANYTHING with his eyes closed and the other Izzy and Gilby rolled into one (image-wise) with far superior chops (like galaxies away IMHO). Furthermore- they are BOTH by all accounts great guys and are super-tight with the rest of the band (especially Dizzy, Tommy, Frank and Chris). Best of all- Axl got both of them onto Chinese Democracy and Bumblefoot even has some memorable solos- and will inherit (IMHO) all of Buckethead's great material live and in videos, etc. They will have more than enough opportunity to make their mark. Anyway, these guys bring the kind of stability Guns N' Roses is going to need moving forward IMHO. There's no room for fuck-ups.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Giant_Robot
Rocker

I am not your standard Chicken Dinner

« Reply #523 on: December 06, 2008, 06:19:13 PM »

This theard has turned insane per usual..... I really couldn't care if this album hits number one in the charts or not because i love this album... that what matters the most... not other peoples opinions. Also as Andy Gould keeps telling you that the music industry dead.... so why should Axl spend his time or money on a music video or talking to dicks who slagged him off the last 10 years.

So i am for no campaign the faster the industry dies the better !

Thanks Giant Robot...
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #524 on: December 06, 2008, 06:21:08 PM »

This theard has turned insane per usual..... I really couldn't care if this album hits number one in the charts or not because i love this album... that what matters the most... not other peoples opinions. Also as Andy Gould keeps telling you that the music industry dead.... so why should Axl spend his time or money on a music video or talking to dicks who slagged him off the last 10 years.

AC DC shunned iTunes in lieu of moving actual CDs. They also promoted this album with press and a tour.  . . . . . and it worked.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
TVC15
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #525 on: December 06, 2008, 06:21:20 PM »

Some of you type as if you know what G N' R's plans are for the next 16 months  hihi.

Maybe things ARE going as planned  Wink.

Wait a few more weeks  yes.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #526 on: December 06, 2008, 06:25:03 PM »

Some of you type as if you know what G N' R's plans are for the next 16 months  hihi.

I hope you are right but they will be starting this new push out of the US Top 10 and with Best Buy pulling their GnR displays. It will have to be a comeback because this album has underperformed in the market.

But its quality has exceed my expectations.

Giant_Robot
Rocker

I am not your standard Chicken Dinner

« Reply #527 on: December 06, 2008, 06:29:30 PM »

AC DC shunned iTunes in lieu of moving actual CDs. They also promoted this album with press and a tour.  . . . . . and it worked.

Well done for them ! But most of the sales were because it was there last album and tour... also wasen't there some debate weather they actually sold that many or wal mart bought aload and it counted towards the sales ?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 06:37:53 PM by AppetiteForIllusion » Logged

Thanks Giant Robot...
TVC15
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #528 on: December 06, 2008, 06:29:55 PM »

I hope you are right but they will be starting this new push out of the US Top 10 and with Best Buy pulling their GnR displays. It will have to be a comeback because this album has underperformed in the market.

I haven't visited a Best Buy in the Los Angeles area that has taken down its displays. They have actually pushed them more towards the entrance.
TVC15
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #529 on: December 06, 2008, 06:37:31 PM »

So, I don't think that'll be a problem, cause sales are already going pretty good.

#1 Rock Album on US (#3)
#1 Rock Album on iTunes
#1 Europe

And just like some posters said and I agree: everything has been planned this way. On a market p.ov. they just don't want to simply hit the top, sell tons now and quickly fall all the way down the charts. The goal is to stay on good positions as long as possible.

At the first moment let the music do the talking: it's an awesome long time expected historical album, GNR and rock fans are buying it and showing to there non fan friends who will buy too.
Then, the "where's Axl" public question. That alone can bring some atention to the band/CD.

When sales start to decrease (this or next month) maybe we'll have interview(s), video, tour annoucement, a ballad as a single (SOD or TIL), DVD... and so on. Then CD will be introduced to any kind of people still unaware of it, keeping up the sales. On a long term it will sell much more than those that sold 700,000 copies on the first week.

When they're done with CD,  in one or two years (touring on the most of that period), we'll have everything again with the second album. Same thing with the third, fourth... In other words, I think the plan Axl told on 2002 is still the same and is a very effective one.

***You don't know how much happy I was when I gave my CD to a non fan friend, and she just loved it. And even more when I went to 2 different stores here in Rio to buy it again and it was already out of stock!! Less than one week of its releasing here! On the third store I bought two copies and there were only two more left.

Well, the album will be out of the US top ten this week. No press, no video, many Best Buys are taking down the cardboard knockdown display.

It is world No. 1 but it has been a soft number 1 with only 640k units pushed. Black Ice moved over 5 million units in its first week. And those numbers were put up without Walmart's help.  Kinda puts the GnR number in perspective.

As a friend of mine said on another board, this campaign has only show evidence that everyone was paid upfront.

Britney Spears will only sell 200,000 more copies than G N' R sold during their opening week. She has spent millions of dollars promoting her mediocre album during the last few weeks and has her face on every major magazine. If G N' R would have done the same, they would have sold 700,000-900,000 albums last week. Wait a few more weeks  Wink.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #530 on: December 06, 2008, 06:50:20 PM »

I haven't visited a Best Buy in the Los Angeles area that has taken down its displays. They have actually pushed them more towards the entrance.

Picture it.

It's a beautiful Tuesday afternoon.  I am on my way to work with my partners on a project for college.

I stop in at Best Buy on Topanga to buy another LP.

Not only did they lack adequate displays, but Chinese Democracy was tucked away in the back of the music section.  To make things worse, most of the LP's were damaged in some fashion.  The edges were bent, the shrink wrap was opened etc.  It took me a while to find one in mint condition.

And one more spot they had the CD's were at the checkout counters.
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #531 on: December 06, 2008, 06:57:07 PM »

It's all part of the master plan, just wait... Axl will get this album out there to everyone without whoring himself out like most artists. He's a true rock star.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #532 on: December 06, 2008, 07:54:08 PM »

gnr have a good 2 weeks to launch the monumental campaign to cash in for the Christmas sales,
which would be cool to see

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #533 on: December 06, 2008, 08:04:51 PM »

Whats funny is, no one is slagging off on the CD.

Everyone has said CD is awesome

we are however talking about the monumental campaign.

Now ask yourself.

Are we being negative or being honest?

There is a difference.

CD is awesome, amazing, etc etc

the promotion hasn't matched the album though and I think that is unfortunate.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #534 on: December 06, 2008, 08:08:57 PM »

You talk like YOU know their plans.
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #535 on: December 06, 2008, 08:18:04 PM »

they didn't launch with a monumental anything.

the sorta just put the thing out there.

Now they may have things planned but they certainly didn't launch with a monumental campaign.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
Josh
Headliner

« Reply #536 on: December 06, 2008, 08:25:35 PM »

gnr have a good 2 weeks to launch the monumental campaign to cash in for the Christmas sales,
which would be cool to see

I can't buy the argument that they're waiting for some major Christmas push.  People are buying for Christmas now, have been for weeks.  I don't want the band out there hawking action figures and talking to Teen Beat, but good lord.  The story behind the making of this album begs to be told by someone other than disgruntled employees via the NY Times.  This album is too good not to get out there and in the hands of quality music-loving people everywhere, and that's not going to happen without promotion given that this band is 15 years removed from the spotlight. 
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #537 on: December 06, 2008, 08:32:58 PM »

#1 Rock Album on US (#3)
#1 Rock Album on iTunes
#1 Europe

AC/DC shipped 5 million and sold 1.7 million, which are still incredible numbers

GnR shipped 3 million and sold 640,000.  So AC/DC sold a higher % of the units they shipped too

As for Best Buy taking down displays, that's pretty amazing since they're the ones holding the bag right now.  It's pretty obvious that UMG has no interest whatsoever in promoting the album
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #538 on: December 06, 2008, 08:50:33 PM »

If you go to best buy's web site the GNR banner above the main music page is gone.

How long do they have the " exclusive rights"?

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 08:52:41 PM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #539 on: December 06, 2008, 09:02:45 PM »

If you go to best buy's web site the GNR banner above the main music page is gone.

How long do they have the " exclusive rights"?

6 months is what I read but that could be wrong
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: