Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 05:07:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "We're launching with a monumental campaign"
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "We're launching with a monumental campaign"  (Read 144700 times)
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #220 on: November 25, 2008, 10:52:29 AM »

CD is losing momentum fast. I do not know anyone whi has bought the CD. I have told all my friends who are casual GNR fans about it, but no one is rushing out to buy it. The local radio station never plays the song. The other day I spent hours waiting to listen to CD and when they finally played GNR they played Don't Cry this was one day before the release. Then the DJ did not even say anything about GNR or CD when the song was done.

There are no interviews by the band members or Axl, no videos, no live performances, no tour announcement, we do not even know who is in the band at this very moment. CD will sell decently because even Live Era sold well with no promotion just on the GNR name alone, but this is a waste of the most anticipated album of all time to just sit there and do nothing.

CD will fade fast off the charts with no promotion and become just another irrelevant album. And yes Axl needs to get out there and be the face of this band, this is his baby and he needs to prove to the world that this version of GNR is a bad ass band better than anything out there right now. So go out on Kimmel, Letterman, Leno, 60 min., MTV, VH1, Fuse, 20/20 with Barbra Walters, Howard Stern, Bill Oreilly, Matt Laurer, whoever and promote the shit out of this album. The world has been waiting 17 years for this and this is historical!

I think if he played on a TV show like that, I'd lose respect for him. He's Axl Rose, ya know? He's not Green Day, the Used, or Anberlin (no offense to those bands, love them all). He's bigger than that. He doesn't need to prove to anyone that he's the shit, other than playing something like the VMA's again.
mnsotapop
Rocker

Wake up, its time to dieeeeeee

« Reply #221 on: November 25, 2008, 11:05:24 AM »

CD is losing momentum fast. I do not know anyone whi has bought the CD. I have told all my friends who are casual GNR fans about it, but no one is rushing out to buy it. The local radio station never plays the song. The other day I spent hours waiting to listen to CD and when they finally played GNR they played Don't Cry this was one day before the release. Then the DJ did not even say anything about GNR or CD when the song was done.

There are no interviews by the band members or Axl, no videos, no live performances, no tour announcement, we do not even know who is in the band at this very moment. CD will sell decently because even Live Era sold well with no promotion just on the GNR name alone, but this is a waste of the most anticipated album of all time to just sit there and do nothing.

CD will fade fast off the charts with no promotion and become just another irrelevant album. And yes Axl needs to get out there and be the face of this band, this is his baby and he needs to prove to the world that this version of GNR is a bad ass band better than anything out there right now. So go out on Kimmel, Letterman, Leno, 60 min., MTV, VH1, Fuse, 20/20 with Barbra Walters, Howard Stern, Bill Oreilly, Matt Laurer, whoever and promote the shit out of this album. The world has been waiting 17 years for this and this is historical!

I think if he played on a TV show like that, I'd lose respect for him. He's Axl Rose, ya know? He's not Green Day, the Used, or Anberlin (no offense to those bands, love them all). He's bigger than that. He doesn't need to prove to anyone that he's the shit, other than playing something like the VMA's again.

I hate to burst your bubble, but this isn't 1992.  If Axl doesn't want to do "media" to move CD, thats fine, but he's not "bigger than that"

Alpine Valley, WI 5/91
Target Center, Mpls MN 1/92
Metrodome w/ Metallica, Mpls MN 9/92
Fargo Dome, Fargo ND 3/21/93
Target Center, the "Buckethead" tour
Target Center 11/13/11
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #222 on: November 25, 2008, 11:06:53 AM »

Im not saying the band has to play on every talk show  but what is wrong with them doing atleast one live performance to help support the album? What is wrong with Axl going out there and either doing a big interview or releasing one big press release?

Your last comment is particularly funny. If Axl didnt have anything to prove we wouldnt have a monstrosity of an album in CD. The guy obiviously is trying to prove something. The world will pass by the album if things dont pick up soon. And its ashame because its the best album out there.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 11:10:02 AM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #223 on: November 25, 2008, 11:10:48 AM »

yes axl doesn't have to prove himself.the proof is in the album. :love:he sure knows what he is doing.as for interviews maybe they will come still.but don't rush the guy allready.

the one an only horsey !
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #224 on: November 25, 2008, 11:13:13 AM »

I am distressed by reports that the album is not selling well, mostly anecdotal but nonetheless troubling.

If this marketing campaign were truly monumental, where is it? Are they looking for legs instead of a first week pop? Why exactly is Axl silent these past few weeks? Even a RS interview would put the band on magazine covers.

I just don't  understand this 'let the music do the talking' idea because almost every band does promotion to push an album. On Sunday's American Music Awards, there were at least six artists on stage in some capacity who had albums released or to be released in the coming weeks. I frankly am happy Axl didn't demean himself by showing up there, but the basic idea is that appearances do matter.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #225 on: November 25, 2008, 11:14:23 AM »

yes axl doesn't have to prove himself.the proof is in the album. :love:he sure knows what he is doing.as for interviews maybe they will come still.but don't rush the guy allready.
Imo, Axl does have to prove himself. Not to me, you, or the majority here but to the haters and skeptics.

Axl has taken more than enough time in releasing this album, whos rushing him? You are 100% right when you say the proof is in the album. The thing is people need to become aware of that music in the album. Interviews, videos, and good vibes can help in that process.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #226 on: November 25, 2008, 11:19:09 AM »

Axl is adopting the Appetite for Destruction marketing strategy and not the UYI strategy.
Therefore, none of us should expect the album to reach #1 until November 2009 after a few videos are made next year with the tour.

Whether or not this is a good a idea or not remains to be seen. But it likely isn't.
GNR is known now and wasn't in 1988. Thus the buying public may lose interest before it gets any back.

MNW

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
D-GenerationX
Legend

Just A Monkey In The Wrench

« Reply #227 on: November 25, 2008, 11:24:40 AM »

Of course its not a good idea, its a ridicuslous idea.

Axl claimed he hated Merck's "maybe it will just show up one day" promotional plan.  Is this much better?

I Can Finally Say I Saw Guns N' Roses Without Any Caveats, Qualifiers, Or Preambles.  And It Was GLORIOUS.  Best Concert Of My Life.
smeagol2124
Rocker

I will not go quietly

« Reply #228 on: November 25, 2008, 11:38:02 AM »

Some of you still just don't get it.  Why do you care about how promotion is being handled?  It's not your worry, it's not your art.  If those that created said art want to do things a certian way, that's their choice, not yours.

I've been on this joyride for over twenty years (ponder that!), and it's easy to see after a certain time that Axl does what he wants, and not what others want him to do.  Why is that such a tough concept for some of you to grasp? 

Some of you who are crying about this, that and the other really need to deal with your own insecurities.  Take this gift of music you've been given and enjoy it.  Quit worrying so much about how others perceive it or you.  In the end it really doesn't matter. 

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #229 on: November 25, 2008, 12:25:27 PM »

Some of you still just don't get it.  Why do you care about how promotion is being handled?  It's not your worry, it's not your art.  If those that created said art want to do things a certian way, that's their choice, not yours.

I've been on this joyride for over twenty years (ponder that!), and it's easy to see after a certain time that Axl does what he wants, and not what others want him to do.  Why is that such a tough concept for some of you to grasp? 

Some of you who are crying about this, that and the other really need to deal with your own insecurities.  Take this gift of music you've been given and enjoy it.  Quit worrying so much about how others perceive it or you.  In the end it really doesn't matter. 

We worry because we don't want the music to stop because of lackluster sales. Everyone here wants this album to succeed in a profound way and validate the time and energy the band put into this music. If it sells, then there is a mandate for more. If it doesn't, well.....

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
gonella
Opening Act

Wake up.... Try..... And Dieeeeeeeeee

« Reply #230 on: November 25, 2008, 01:03:19 PM »

Just a comment,

Remember that Axl does not talk about the release album for a long time, maybe some months(only indirect people has post something about the album or speak). Maybe, I said "Maybe", he got troubles with the GEFFEN and he was forced to release the album... and for this reason he is giving a shit for the promotion.

"Are you trying to fuck with me motherfucker.. I'll fuck you".

I know he will be fucked with himself.. but he knows that the album will sell well but not enough as the company likes.

SmileySmiley
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 01:06:30 PM by gonella » Logged
demanding_GNR_rock
Headliner

« Reply #231 on: November 25, 2008, 01:11:55 PM »

Well its here, and it 10x better than anyone had hoped, well we knew it was gonna be good but not this good. And with sales going well it looks like the music is speaking for itself which everyone hoped it would do. But i have to say it was the shittiest 'monumental campaign' ever and it had some worried (me included). Luckily it seems we dont have to worry about it anymore.
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #232 on: November 25, 2008, 01:15:21 PM »

?We?re launching with a monumental campaign developed by Gary Arnold and the Best Buy team that matches the groundbreaking sound of the album itself. Guns N? Roses fans have every reason to celebrate, for this is only the beginning.?

I call Shenanigans.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #233 on: November 25, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »

Plus one.

Group of dolts.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #234 on: November 25, 2008, 01:24:11 PM »

I still feel like this is only the beginning of something major. Of course the release of CD itself is major, but I'm talking about campaigning. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Live Era was promoted on TV bigtime AFTER it was released as far as I rememember and CD is is a much bigger release, not to mention that so much more is at stake for the record company, there's no way they're going to let a release like this go unnoticed. No fucking way. My guess is expect promotion, interviews, touring in the near future and new albums in a not so distant future. I still believe the management when they say that this is only the beginning.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #235 on: November 25, 2008, 01:49:19 PM »

they bought hella ad space on myspace.com.  every time i go to my homepage I see the ad on top.

thats how you reach people in 2008.
riotact_vancity
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #236 on: November 25, 2008, 02:04:34 PM »

...and when criticisms are mounted of the monumental campaign, with hypothetical musings as to why, they are redacted from the thread. Hmm.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #237 on: November 25, 2008, 07:51:16 PM »

My two cents...

To the people posting things like "Axl will let the music speak for itself" sure don't know what show-biz is all about.

Show business is a business and this applies to every mega STAR who happens to be involved in one way or another. Think about a blockbuster film for example, every time before a big movie release you get the BIG NAMES in all television shows and movie premieres world wide. We are talking about the likes of Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Christian Bale...those names surely are way bigger than Axl is now as far as celebritiness (just made out that word) goes. Do you think they like to sit down with at some hotel with one journalist at the time and answer the same questions for 7 straight hours??

That's their job. They do it because they are told to. And if those big names obey the rules, Axl has no other way to get around it.

Axl doesn't own the industry, sure he does things a little bit than most artists. However, he's in the music business and in this business, the artists never decide what's best for the people who PLACE their art out there. In this case, is the label who decides what the artist does to promote the album. Universal has spent $11 million, do you actually think for one second they are going to sit around and do nothing hoping that the album will sell for itself?

No chance.

Universal is probably waiting to receive the first week's numbers and will act accordingly. This CD is the most expected album in the history of music and that sure will be enough to register great numbers in the first week or two, but will probably lose some momentum soon after. I'm almost positive a huge monumental campaign is coming up.

Chinese Democracy is to music what the "Dark Night" is to film. Both pieces had tremendous expectation and anticipation long before their release. The reasons for this are obviously different, but in a way, it prompts the same reaction. We all knew the "Dark Knight" was going to top the box office the first week and I'm pretty sure Chinese Democracy will do the same. The Dark Night is also an amazing film but that would not have been enough to make this movie the second biggest film all time in the US.  When the Dark Knight premiered, didn?t you guys see the actors and director going to dozens of promotions around the world? Didn?t you see all kinds of interviews to the entire cast?? Man, I can only say I got fed up after a while. Christian Bale was everywhere.

That's exactly what will happen to GNR and Axl Rose (well, don't really know but this is what it SHOULD happen)

What I'm trying to say, in this business, a good film or album with the highest expectations is never enough. Whether the artists like it or not, they are a part of the game and Axl is no exception. He will go public when the label tells him to and I'm pretty sure this will happen in a few weeks time. Hey, this is something that goes to his (Axl) interest. The more CD's GNR sell, the more money he will get in royalties and the more money GNR will get paid to tour. It's really a numbers game.

So for those who think Axl "will let the music speak for itself" you will be surprised. Watch.

By the way, I know nothing. This is me just speculating and have no secret sources or anything.

On a side note, how awesome is Chinese Democracy?? New favorite track is Sorry  ok

Edit: I dont know if the Dark Night is a film, problably is. I was referring to "The Dark Knight" of course.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 07:56:34 PM by Ignatius » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #238 on: November 25, 2008, 07:55:54 PM »

On the surface this is a good post BUT, when u really think about it deeper, it is the wrong attitude to have.

I laugh at GNR fans that say 'Reviews" don't matter, "Album sales" don't matter. BULLSHIT!

They matter to us as fans because if CD bombs, we may never hear another note or song from Axl ever again. So it is very very important for CD to do as well as possible so we get more music and more tours etc from Axl.

So it does matter to us in that way because we want Axl to get the success he deserves.

Also, Axl always said "When there is something to talk about, I will talk but not before then"

Well, he has something to talk about now and I hope we hear something from him in the next month or so.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #239 on: November 25, 2008, 08:03:53 PM »

Axl's gonna disappear if he gets a bad review or poor sales?

Doubt it.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: