Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2024, 04:49:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228158 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  what song do you like Chinese Democracy , If The World , Shackler's Revenge?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: what song do you like Chinese Democracy , If The World , Shackler's Revenge?  (Read 6827 times)
draguns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 09:29:57 PM »

I think it's still a bit too early to include If The World. Out of the two complete official releases, I would go with Chinese Democracy
tat2d1
Opening Act

i don't give a fuck

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 09:38:47 PM »

Out of those 3, it's tough, but probably Shackler's. It's not what you'd expect from Axl, and I like that.

Once there was this rock n roll band rollin' on the streets. Time went by and it became a joke. They just needed more and more fulfilling,uh huh. Time went by, it all went up in smoke.....
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 09:45:32 PM »

For me, these three are not my "big guns."  Out of the 3 I'd have to say I dig CD the most.  ITW and SR are different sounds that I might develop a bigger appreciation for in the future.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 09:57:41 PM »

Hmmm I can't pick one because I like them all for different reasons

CD has the best lyrics and Ron's guitars during the verses are mean

Shackler's has a pretty amazing pre-chorus/chorus and the solo plus the rhythm section during the solo is insane

If The World has a really cool, melodic and mellow vibe to it.  Classy, hypnotic song
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 07:59:47 AM »

without any hesitation, shackler's revenge. too bad it's not the (first) single.
it would have surprise a lot of people. it's much more exciting to listen than
chinese democracy, an average song to me (good intro for the album, but
not a perfect single). if the world, well, is interesting because it shows another
musical direction of the band, but i'm not fond of the whole thing.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 08:07:11 AM »

Im a big fan of Chinese Democracy. I think this song rocks soo hard. And you also have to listen to it a couple of times, and it get better and better. I remember when i heard it live in Oslo. One hell of a experience! Shackler is also very very good. It has the same attitude as Chinese Democracy. And just rocks the hell out of you. If the world, i dont know yet... But i sure like it. Very different, and want to listen to it from the album to get the right sound..

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
greenhorn1
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 08:58:17 AM »

IMO...shackler's is just a poor song.  Album filler at best. 
Chinese democracy is ok it's not a bad song but there's absolutely nothing amazing about it and i'm very surprised (and disappointed) it's the first single knowing what else they have on tap.  it's too bad because most of the comments i've heard so far are in the vein of "it took X years to come up with that???"

If the world i'll withhold final judgement on but I really like the song.  It doesn't sound like anything else we know of GNR and i'd almost say that would make for a better single because it would get people curious about what the rest of the album sounds like.

I have a feeling though that Axl went with CD because it's a straightforward guitar rocker and he probably wanted to put the myths that he has been making a "techno" album to rest once and for all.

Still very excited about the album I just think it's a shame that 2 of the weakest tracks (IMO) are the first ones to hit the public.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 09:06:27 AM »

Shackler's Revenge
If The World
Chinese Democracy

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 09:15:36 AM »

Shakler'ss revenge would've been my favorite if it wasn't for the fact that the vocals are drowned by the rest of the instruments... I end up pumpin up the volume to listen to the vocals... and it hurts my ears...  Undecided

my favorite is Chidem/...but I love the groove of if the world...

all of them are good, but nothing like there was a time which is mind blowing..

I think GNR made a mistake  when they released a single without a video !

That is why metallica's getting more airplay...
There was a time with a video would've blown everyone away from the start.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Luigi
VIP

You Never Know

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 09:17:55 AM »

I like all three songs, we just need more so the GNR vibe may be well seeded. I like what I hear and the texture is great      

A Lesson Learned is Life at its Best
thomas
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 09:56:16 AM »

I like all three songs, we just need more so the GNR vibe may be well seeded. I like what I hear and the texture is great      

same here

Chinese Democracy is a rocker song and the adding stuff that bumblefoot adding to this song make it great

If The World is a nice song but not a rocker song

Shackler's Revenge is a rocker song more power to it and axl dose his best at this song

peace
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2008, 10:10:23 AM »

Shackler's
Reinaldo
Rocker

"O.K., Nevermind!"

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2008, 10:48:20 AM »

1 - Shackler's
2 - CD
3 - ITW

RIR 2001 - Porto Alegre 2010 - RIR 2011 - Rio de Janeiro 2014 & 2016 - RIR 2022
bigcash2002
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2008, 10:58:18 AM »

If the World is my favorite of the 3.  I can't wait to hear a final version on Nov. 23
audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2008, 11:08:26 AM »

1 - Shackler's revenge
2 - Chinese Democracy
3 - If The World

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
mrarkadin
Headliner

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 11:09:58 AM »

I haven't heard those other two songs yet (not into video games, or thriller movies--though I'd check the later out if it came near me). But Chinese Democracy is great. Most people on these boards have known Chinese Democracy for 7 years--and they still like it. A lot. I first heard it Jan 1 2001 and I've probably listened to the official stream 40 times.  So, for a song that was a 'weak sister' compared to the Blues and Madagascar back in '01, I think it's held up very well.

I like it as a single, too, because it is absolutely not what you'd think a single should be. Any first single that has a minute and a half intro, no hooks, no "big chorus", oddball political lyrics about masturbation etc strikes me as absolutely uncompromising. Love it or shove off.
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 11:25:04 AM »

I guess I'd say If the World, Chinese Democracy, Shackler's, though none of them blow me away.
Chinese is a rock'n tune, which is nice since rock seems pretty dead these days. Lyrics are okay, but certainly not up to par with Axl's back catalogue.
I think If The World is the most interesting of the three. It's like nothing I've heard before. I'm not in love with it, but I like it. Some impressive axe work.
I can't get over how much I hate Shackler's Revenge. It's just a bad techno pop song from hell in my opinion. Lyrically and musically does nothing for me. Only positive is Axl's voice.
In the end, it's a bit ironic as these are the 3 songs I like the least of everything I have heard, leaked and live.
If I had only heard these 3 songs, and not had the benefit of hearing the leaks and seeing them perform some new songs live, I may not even buy the new album.
The main reason being that GNR has been one of my favorite bands is Axl's lyrics could be held up to the all time greats, but these songs do not make the cut. I listen to the old material, and still to this day find something I hadn't heard, or caught before in the lyrics, especially on the Illusions. These 3 songs are very cookie cutter. Luckily for me, I've heard Better and The Blues, which dispel the notion that Axl isnt still capable of penning a good tune.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 11:38:14 PM »

Shackler's Revenge is the best of the 3 imo.  The song I first heard on youtube, so i decided to actually buy rockband2 to check it out, and now I am addicted to Rockband 2, Its one fo my favorite songs to sing on the game, the contrast between chorus / verse is incredible, Nothing against CD, but they should of maybe thought about putting out Shackler's as a B side to CD, I know they dont do alot of that anymore, but its a great song on Rockband 2, and not everyone has that game and I think its a song that both original GnR and New GnR fans can find something to like about it.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 07:19:01 AM »

There?s a final version of IF THE WORLD?

thomas
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2008, 08:35:50 AM »

There?s a final version of IF THE WORLD?

in the movie body of lies
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: