Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 11:15:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Everything about Chinese Democracy - the track
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 84 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everything about Chinese Democracy - the track  (Read 284879 times)
leatherebel
VIP

Facts are the enemy of truth.

« Reply #1340 on: October 23, 2008, 06:40:50 PM »

What people not very familiar with the album fail to realize is that this song is far from being meant to be a big gun. It's probably more meant to be something like an introduction to a musical journey that only gets better from there on. Imagine if they had debuted with TWAT or Prostitute. I mean, everyone would've been blown away but then can you really top that?? I think introducing CD will be a gradual process and the title track is just the beginning. It's always better to be going uphill than down, right?

The majority of the negative comments probably stem from the perception that the first single should try to live up to the album expectations as a whole and possibly top all old gn'r hits. These people are missing the point.

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
GeraldFord
« Reply #1341 on: October 23, 2008, 06:41:50 PM »

On a side note, Chris Evans thought the song 'Chin Dem' would be a better Bond theme than the actual bond theme!

But would such a rocker type song fit as the Bond theme?

"If the World" (at least from what he heard) would be the better Bond theme.
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #1342 on: October 23, 2008, 06:42:29 PM »

Thanks for that, Ian.  I always listen to Chris on the drive home but left work too early to hear that segment.  I e-mailed Chris Evans on Tue and asked him to play it but didn't know if it'd make Radio 2's playlist.  I'm so glad that they are playing it 'cos being the old fogey that I am, it's been a real struggle listening to Radio 1 again!  Off to listen to the iplayer now and e-mail Wogan!    Grin

Oh and I don't know about Bond but as soon as I heard the susurration at the beginning and haunting ending I immediately thought of Jack Bauer and 24.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1343 on: October 23, 2008, 06:44:59 PM »

True, I mean u can't really start out with a ballad

I think Shackler's would've been perfect though. that song absolutely rocks but maybe they felt it was too "oh My god" like and wanted something more modern rock sounding.

My only problem with CD being the first single is, The world hasn't heard axl sing in 14 years *we are talking casual fans here people*

When a famous legend has been away for so long, people for whatever reason want to know 2 things:

1. What they look like

2. How they sound

With CD, Axl really doesn't use a whole lot of his signature wail so some bad reviews I've read have been from uneducated idiots questioning if he still has the range. We know its ridiculous but there are truly people out there that don't know.

First singles use to be, I dont know about now, but use to be the introduction to the album and the 2nd singles are usually the big dogs.

Gonna be interesting to see what's next.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #1344 on: October 23, 2008, 06:51:39 PM »

I think introducing CD will be a gradual process and the title track is just the beginning. It's always better to be going uphill than down, right?

Axl did make it clear that he didn't want to alienate the old fans and I think the band have done a good job in combining elements of old and new in this track,  Also, I believe that choosing the title track of the album was done deliberately to ensure that the album's title lodges in the public's mind.  So, not only do you have a track that grabs you by the scruff of the neck but a name that stays with you after the initial media frenzy of the single dies down.  Great marketing.  Smiley

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1345 on: October 23, 2008, 06:56:52 PM »

I think that the pieces are starting to get together. CD is a brilliant song and I am so happy that they put it as a single. I can't wait for the fucking album.

"...It don't really matter..."
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1346 on: October 23, 2008, 07:13:12 PM »

Listening to Talking Metal episode 235.

Mark says it's Frank playing drums on the track.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #1347 on: October 23, 2008, 07:17:13 PM »

i was right Grin

franks a genius i bet he was the one who  came up with the heartbeat drumming in the intro smoking

also i'm really looking forward to hear his redition of IRS drool
djcleaver
Rocker

deep waits...

« Reply #1348 on: October 23, 2008, 07:19:28 PM »

i was right Grin

franks a genius i bet he was the one who  came up with the heartbeat drumming in the intro smoking

also i'm really looking forward to hear his redition of IRS drool

If it's anything like the live shows in 07 Frank's drumming on IRS will be awesome
Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #1349 on: October 23, 2008, 07:25:32 PM »

/jarmo

Thats insane. Frank is the best Drummer the band has ever had and really does make a difference.

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
reed2009
Headliner

« Reply #1350 on: October 23, 2008, 08:05:19 PM »

axl wants to tease the public and get them talking about him and the band again.....chinese democracy is a good solid rocker, but just think when he releases the blues, twat or prostitute as a single, then i think things will blow up again, Axl knows what he is doing and he is set to take over the world again! chinese democracy all the way  Grin Tongue peace beer

scraped
leatherebel
VIP

« Reply #1351 on: October 23, 2008, 08:31:23 PM »

/jarmo

That doesn't mean Brain is not playing on the track though.

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
leatherebel
VIP

« Reply #1352 on: October 23, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »

I think introducing CD will be a gradual process and the title track is just the beginning. It's always better to be going uphill than down, right?

Axl did make it clear that he didn't want to alienate the old fans and I think the band have done a good job in combining elements of old and new in this track,  Also, I believe that choosing the title track of the album was done deliberately to ensure that the album's title lodges in the public's mind.  So, not only do you have a track that grabs you by the scruff of the neck but a name that stays with you after the initial media frenzy of the single dies down.  Great marketing.  Smiley

I don't think it's Axl's biggest worry, if any at all, to please the mainstream public, old gn'r fans included. And he doesn't seem like a marketing/sales person either. He has always created his art with his vision in mind (rather than the fans' expectations), which is then materialized into songs that ultimately carry some sort of a message to the ones that relate and care to appreciate. He doesn't create art with the feelings and opinions of the masses in mind. Same goes to how the art is presented once it is ready. And that is why Chinese is the first single and not a proven grabber like Better or the signature voice Rhiad. It's part of how the vision/message is presented. It's the job of the managers/promoters/label to make sure the product (in whatever form the artist has left it) is a financial success.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1353 on: October 23, 2008, 09:17:44 PM »

I thought the lyrics was:

If you BEAT them enough they'll die........

FEED them enough??? Yeah I guess thats it.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #1354 on: October 23, 2008, 09:38:34 PM »

I haven't read through the entire thread, so forgive me if this has asked and answered.

Has anyone tried to interpret what the voices are saying at the beginning of the song?  I'm just a curious person Cheesy

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #1355 on: October 23, 2008, 09:40:29 PM »

/jarmo

He's wrong. Frank MAY HAVE added the drums during the intro.....
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #1356 on: October 23, 2008, 11:09:56 PM »

/jarmo

How can you say he's wrong? You personally called Frank and asked him? So yeah....I'll trust Mark over you since I dont think he would say it if he didn't get the info from Frank or a member of the band and if they say he plays on the whole thing, than he plays on the whole thing.

And Brain said that he was asked to come in and re-record all the drums for the album when Josh left, so it is very concievable that Frank did the same thing on at least a few of the tracks or all of them. But this will prolly fall on deaf ears....smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #1357 on: October 23, 2008, 11:16:03 PM »

/jarmo

Ok, If Adman say so...

mega_music
VIP

Chinese Democracy Is Coming Some Day!!!

« Reply #1358 on: October 23, 2008, 11:35:22 PM »

Don't know if it has been posted yet, but here is the latest chart ranking for Chinese  for week of 10/16 to 10/22
According to mediabase 24/7. I got the chart from www.allaccess.com, It won't allow me to copy and paste the entire chart.

From Active Rock Format

34         GUNS N' ROSES     Chinese Democracy     

From the Mainstream Rock Format

22         GUNS N' ROSES     Chinese Democracy

Not to shitty for a only day of plays. It keeps up it will be top 10 by end of the weekend.

Chinese Democracy is Coming Someday
-Trevor-
DarkKnight
Headliner

« Reply #1359 on: October 23, 2008, 11:36:29 PM »

With the mastering job they did on CD, one has to wonder how "epic" There Was a Time will sound.   beer
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 84 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: