Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 09:26:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Everything about Chinese Democracy - the track
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 84 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everything about Chinese Democracy - the track  (Read 285808 times)
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #1280 on: October 23, 2008, 08:26:45 AM »

Here's a larger version of that logo that came attached to Guns' 'CD' single.

http://www.dmds.com/dmds/data/upload/34481_GnRLOGO Color Cropped_big.jpg

Well thank you. That will most certainly be my desktop background when I get back home.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #1281 on: October 23, 2008, 08:35:08 AM »

Great to hear this on Radio 1, getting some "Mainstream" attention. 

You're right, I was really pleased to hear them making a big deal out of it.  I mean, I know it is to us, but I wasn't sure whether Radio 1 would consign it to the Rock Show (is it even still on?) or only play it on certain shows.  Also, I heard it on BBC 6 Music this morning and happily it wasn't censored like it was on Radio 1 yesterday - hopefully someone in the BBC has come to their senses.

XFM played it on the breakfast show this morning but Alex Zane and crew were less than positive.  Still, I'd rather it provoked strong reactions either good or bad than people just saying that it was bland or OK.  That, to me, is what GN'R was always about - being provocative and challenging people's perceptions.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
DarkFairy
VIP

« Reply #1282 on: October 23, 2008, 08:50:03 AM »

Just heard it on finnish radio!  Cheesy they'll play it again at 6pm, it's almost 4pm now  ok

oh and the dj was positive!

Helsinki 05.07.2006. Helsinki 05.06.2010. Hämeenlinna 01.07.2017. 🔜 London 29.05.2020
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #1283 on: October 23, 2008, 09:09:32 AM »

Last night driving home I was listening to k-rock. At 5:00pm the dj announced they were going to play a new song from our G&R. I heard it and was quite impressed. I guess the title of the song is Chinese Democracy (Axl is singing in a low voice. The song starts off with some synth sounds)....it is different from the 90's but it sounds like now..........congradulations Axl and the current team...........(can't wait to buy the cd)!!!!! beer
northernwave
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1284 on: October 23, 2008, 09:10:44 AM »

Great review from an influential Canadian magazine

http://www.chartattack.com/reviews/61854/guns-n-roses-single-reviewed

Since Jesus Christ and Satan didn't get together to jam on the title track of Guns N' Roses' decade-plus-in-the-making Chinese Democracy, expectations won't be met for this song. But that aside, "Chinese Democracy," which hit radio today, is a pretty rad track. Once Axl Rose's patented banshee scream kicks in over a thunderous guitar riff, all the hype and bullshit go out the window. The song features dueling Axl vocals (the high-pitched one and the low growling one from "It's So Easy"), and the redheaded one goes on angrily about something vaguely political in the verses ("Blame it on the Falun Gong/They've see the end and you can't hold on now"). The song's soaring guitars seem to build towards a killer chorus that never quite happens. Instead, there's a ripping guitar solo (some combo of Robin Finck, Buckethead and Ron Thal) that almost makes up for having nothing to sing along to. The outro is classic GN'R, but on steroids ? guitars blazing, multiple Axls screaming ? and there's just a bit too much going on. This song ain't no "Paradise City" or "Welcome To The Jungle," but it stands tall against any other GN'R rocker, and that's not something rock radio can say very often these days.
benchiefjr
« Reply #1285 on: October 23, 2008, 09:32:10 AM »

Chinese Democracy (the album) won't be as great as everyone thinks it is for how long it's taken to be made, but it will probably run for album of the year.
All I expect from it is that it will be better than anything we have now on the radio (and that isn't such a bad thing).
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1286 on: October 23, 2008, 09:42:22 AM »

Overall that was a pretty fair and good review.
Yeah I like how he says "I wanted to hate this song, I can't".  Very honest and sums up many people's views, so many people are going into this with negative views and they want to slate it, just goes to show that the songs quality can win over people, like this guy who, well wanted to be a hater, hopefully the trend continues.
I was listening to Sirius Octane 20 last night and they were doing their nightly countdown.  They were at #4 so I figured I'd listen in just in case.  The DJ, Covino I think, said that they received thousands of votes for the #1 song, Chinese Democracy.  He also said that he hadn't heard the song before but someone told him it was awful.  But he said after listening to it himself, that it rocked! 

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
XxWickeds10xX
Rocker

GNFNR

« Reply #1287 on: October 23, 2008, 09:56:03 AM »

Sirius has been playing the shit outta CD!! What an amazing feeling hearing it on the radio! I still cant believe we are finally here!! What long wait it has been....let the partying begin!!!
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #1288 on: October 23, 2008, 10:04:21 AM »

For all those wanting to show your support via Myspace:

If you go to imeem.com and listen to Chinese Democracy, you can get code to embed it into your myspace page as exampled here:

www.myspace.com/russtcb

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
neon2002
Rocker

What the hell is a hab?

« Reply #1289 on: October 23, 2008, 10:27:37 AM »

http://www.imeem.com/gunsnroses/music/ZDPzX2B2/guns_n_roses_chinese_democracy/

beer

"This Melody Inside Of Me Still Searches For Solution"
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #1290 on: October 23, 2008, 10:28:38 AM »

My cousin heard the single for the first time yesterday.  She said thought it was kind of all over the place, but said she kind of liked it.  I told her to listen to it alot and it will grow on her  ok

And then my 9 yr old said "You should hear Better!!"  I'm creating a new GNR fanatic, I'm so happy  beer

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1291 on: October 23, 2008, 10:30:02 AM »

For all those wanting to show your support via Myspace:

If you go to imeem.com and listen to Chinese Democracy, you can get code to embed it into your myspace page as exampled here:

www.myspace.com/russtcb

Very true, I just did it.  Get the code here.  A little cut and paste is all it takes.

http://www.imeem.com/gunsnroses/music/ZDPzX2B2/guns_n_roses_chinese_democracy/

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1292 on: October 23, 2008, 10:31:33 AM »

My cousin heard the single for the first time yesterday.  She said thought it was kind of all over the place, but said she kind of liked it.  I told her to listen to it alot and it will grow on her  ok

And then my 9 yr old said "You should hear Better!!"  I'm creating a new GNR fanatic, I'm so happy  beer
That's awesome.  I haven't subjected my niece or nephew to new GNR yet.  My nephew still may be a little young, but my niece is gonna be 9.  Maybe it's time.

AC
Rocker

« Reply #1293 on: October 23, 2008, 10:37:56 AM »

Listened to it last night in my studio over proper speakers (studio monitors) with my girlfriend there. She was VERY impressed. She heard the song in concert, but to her she didn't recognize it. Her first comment, "this is typical GN'R, and it rocks!"

My favourite part of the song is the right channel's rhythm guitar. I've never heard that before I got to my studio. It's good to hear a final mixed/mastered copy that really shows off the time spent in the studio (and it's well worth it).

a.

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1294 on: October 23, 2008, 10:46:27 AM »

Playing it on TODAY FM IRELAND now!!! Yay!!!

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1295 on: October 23, 2008, 10:54:41 AM »

The swedish review's headline: "Thank you and goodbye, Axl Rose." I think it's pretty self explanationary..his biggest complain is that the song is way overproduced and that there's a lack of a real chorus.

That's the same guy who made headlines last year because Keith Richards took offense to his "review" of the Rolling Stones' concert in Sweden.

That says a lot!

Edit: Ok, My mistake. That's not the same article as the one in today's paper. In the paper the track is reviewed by the same guy who angered Keith.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 11:52:37 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
DarkFairy
VIP

« Reply #1296 on: October 23, 2008, 10:57:40 AM »

The swedish review's headline: "Thank you and goodbye, Axl Rose." I think it's pretty self explanationary..his biggest complain is that the song is way overproduced and that there's a lack of a real chorus.

That's the same guy who made headlines last year because Keith Richards took offense to his "review" of the Rolling Stones' concert in Sweden.

That says a lot!

/jarmo

well Axl never did go to Sweden to find swedes with good taste, but swedes that taste good  hihi

Helsinki 05.07.2006. Helsinki 05.06.2010. Hämeenlinna 01.07.2017. 🔜 London 29.05.2020
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #1297 on: October 23, 2008, 10:58:55 AM »

im glad i dont have to upload songs from CD anymore onto my myspace page!

Of course there were the haters to be expected, but really, I think the reaction has overall been very good.   Am I seeing it right?

yeah i was listening to the new york rock station all day today they played it several times...had people call in...I called in and talked to the dj(not sure if it actually they aired it or not) but I talked to the DJ about how if Appetite never came out and that was the record that they put out this year people would still criticize it...they would rip on Jungle, Sweet Child etc...for taking so long to come out.. but the overall reaction has been positive..i heard a negative call hear and there but mostly positive...all the negatives were the typical ones you would expect..."it doesnt sound like GNR" "it took too long to come out"...but most callers said it rocked...and kept requesting it...I heard several leaks of Chinese Democracy and this was by FAR the best version...love the added vocals and guitars....

I know you were on the radio because I heard you! It was a great call.

Krock has been so positive about the song and the djs really like the song. They keep saying they are getting a ton of requests
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 11:01:56 AM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
DarkFairy
VIP

« Reply #1298 on: October 23, 2008, 11:00:59 AM »

Radio Rock will play it soon, after Paranoid and this weekend they're gonna play UYI, the whole thing, back to back  beer

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #1299 on: October 23, 2008, 11:22:04 AM »

First Listen: New Guns N' Roses Single ReviewedSPIN's Steve Kandell weighs in on the official first release from the most-delayed album EVER! By Steve Kandell 10.22.08 4:19 PM 

Axl Rose of Guns N' Roses / Photo by KMazur/WireImage.com Maybe it's the fact that I'm listening to it on my computer and not, say, in a car, that makes it feel less than real. After all, we've been here before: (alleged) tracks from the mythic, Sasquatch-like Chinese Democracy leaked last year, and we downloaded them, tentatively, straining to hear some sort of genetic connection to the Guns N' Roses we all remember and romanticize. It seemed as if this long story was going to come to an end with a whimper. And a shrug. And here we are again, only without the shady back-alley torrent-site-dealings or fear of RIAA reprisal.
"Chinese Democracy," the first single from the actually-existing Guns N' Roses album of the same name, was released today. Officially. Legally. (The album is available November 23, exclusively from Best Buy. Unless of course, it isn't.)
Once that weird shock wears off, there's the small matter of, you know, whether or not it's any good. Which is to say: Is it as bad as we all assume it's gonna be?
Answer: Kinda, but then again, not really!
Those fearing/expecting an overly synthesized, 1999-vintage techno-metal can rest easy-ish. Once the overture of muffled voices, ominous drums, and plinky Edge-ish guitar gives way to a thick, muscular four-chord riff and that Axl banshee wail, only the most stubbornly jaded will manage to suppress the goosebump reflex. The verses are double-tracked: half high-pitched Axl, half guttural, growly Axl. But then a funny thing happens before the song gets to the chorus: IT FUCKING ENDS.
Sure, there's some suitably Slashy wankery from, oh, I don't know, Bumblefuck, the guy who plays with a honey-coated beehive on his head, or whichever other guitarist is currently under contract, but it's a bit confounding that the first (official, legal) taste of the Most Anticipated Album, Like, Ever -- and from the human who wrote "Paradise City," no less -- is utterly and completely hook-free. I've listened to it 12 times in one sitting and cannot hum a bar.Then again, I was able to listen to it 12 times in one sitting. Maybe we should take our victories small, and wherever we can get them.

Will this guy get back up when Axl comes with the hooks?

Axl is a genius. I wasnt in favor of this being the first single but it def is getting a positive reaction. Imagine when the "conventional" songs are released?!

Hes setting everyone up with nice strong jabs and then bam the hooks are going to win the fight.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 84 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: