Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 07:36:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228487 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy and Welcome to the Jungle
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy and Welcome to the Jungle  (Read 3734 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« on: October 20, 2008, 10:15:42 AM »

Listening to CD the other day and now knowing its the first song off the album, it reminds me a lot of WTTJ and how it leades off AFD.  They both have that delay effect going in the intro which leads to a big build up.  Also you hear a lot of bluesy rock fills going on as well, similar to the guitar fills on WTTJ.  Also the long scream by Axl both take place in beginning of the song.  Just thought there were some similarities.  Its one of the few songs that sounds like the older GNR songs.  Its a great way to kick off the album IMO.
AC
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 11:07:30 AM »

I posted this a long time ago and got some nay sayers. I agree.

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
Killingmachine
Headliner

Guns n' Fuckin' Roses

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 11:15:26 AM »

I desagree. Welcome to the Jungle is a masterpiece, a classic song. It has a great riff, Great solo y the Axl's voice is Killer. on the other hand, Chinese Democracy its a average song.
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 11:22:24 AM »

just because axl doesn't use his high pitch voice in the song doesn't make it average. i've always thought CD would make a great first track because the intro just grabs your attention and the whole song doesn't let it go

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 11:31:07 AM »

Listening to CD the other day and now knowing its the first song off the album, it reminds me a lot of WTTJ and how it leades off AFD.  They both have that delay effect going in the intro which leads to a big build up.  Also you hear a lot of bluesy rock fills going on as well, similar to the guitar fills on WTTJ.  Also the long scream by Axl both take place in beginning of the song.  Just thought there were some similarities.  Its one of the few songs that sounds like the older GNR songs.  Its a great way to kick off the album IMO.

I'm glad you think that. I wish I could.
I think it would be a fine concert-starter, but it will never top WTTJ in its suspense, pop appeal and both musically and lyrically.

MNW

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 11:40:26 AM »

I can see the similarities, but don't think CD is on the same level as WTTJ. WTTJ is a classic, but CD is kind of blah. I do think it's got intro written all over it. The way it builds up it would probably sound out of place anywhere but the intro song.
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 11:56:37 AM »

I absolutely love Gn'R, but Welcome to the Jungle is one of the few Gn'R songs that never did that much for me (aside from the intro).  (And yes, I know I'm in the very small minority here).  Chinese Democracy does a lot more for me....  It's more accessible, it has better melodies, and the guitar work is better!

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 12:03:57 PM »

I wouldn't say the guitar work is better. Cool if it sounds better to you, but really, these guys can't hang with Slash. GNR may have some virtuosos, but Slash is a legend. CD just sounds like it's been done before, whereas WTTJ was a breath of fresh air. This of course I'm judging by the leaks and live versions, so I will revise my opinion when I hear the final version, which I'm hoping does change my mind.
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 12:05:44 PM »

Cool if it sounds better to you, but really, these guys can't hang with Slash. GNR may have some virtuosos, but Slash is a legend.

He wasn't a legend before AFD came out.   ok

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 12:09:36 PM »

Cool if it sounds better to you, but really, these guys can't hang with Slash. GNR may have some virtuosos, but Slash is a legend.

He wasn't a legend before AFD came out.   ok

Good point!

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 12:34:23 PM »

I think it would be a fine concert-starter, but it will never top WTTJ in its suspense, pop appeal and both musically and lyrically.

MNW

Guys, don't confuse me... My point was the songs have similarities to each other.  The intro with Delay, axl scream, opening track etc.  I am not saying the song is as good as WTTJ, just saying they share some common traits. 
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 12:36:36 PM »

MNW

Guys, don't confuse me... My point was the songs have similarities to each other.  The intro with Delay, axl scream, opening track etc.  I am not saying the song is as good as WTTJ, just saying they share some common traits. 

I Definitely see where you are coming from.
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 12:37:05 PM »

CD is a cool song and great starter for the album. I even think it has been overlooked and a little underrated, but it is not even in the same league as WTTJ.

WTTJ tells a story about this band when they started, their fuck you attitude, get  in your face, take no shit persona. The intro and break down. This is one of those songs that justs pumps people up when Axls says... you know where the fuck you are? and then the intro riff hits. It is just amazing live or on the radio. CD is cool but lacks the former. That does not mean its not a good song because it is. Its just not in the same arena as WTTJ.

I think Madagascar reminds me NR, DC, Estranged.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 12:42:40 PM »

Yes C.D. is the PERFECT lead off track or opener for the upcoming tour!!!

I love this song...

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 01:03:13 PM »

Yes C.D. is the PERFECT lead off track or opener for the upcoming tour!!!

I love this song...

Agreed!  Its one of my favorites of the new songs.  It fucking rocks.

And Hudson, for the 10th time, I am not saying this song is close to WTTJ.  I agree, it isn't, but has common traits.
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 01:07:18 PM »

I wouldn't say the guitar work is better. Cool if it sounds better to you, but really, these guys can't hang with Slash. GNR may have some virtuosos, but Slash is a legend. CD just sounds like it's been done before, whereas WTTJ was a breath of fresh air. This of course I'm judging by the leaks and live versions, so I will revise my opinion when I hear the final version, which I'm hoping does change my mind.

I would say the guitar playing in WTTJ is raw with a blues back bone. Technically speaking CD has the better guitar work though. And I like the better melodies. I like WTTJ but never got it like a lot of others have. I'd lived PC and Sweet Child O Mine from that album much more.

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 01:22:15 PM »

yeah I like that part when he screams "can't hold back now"

very cool great track

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 01:32:07 PM »

I would say the guitar playing in WTTJ is raw with a blues back bone. Technically speaking CD has the better guitar work though. And I like the better melodies. I like WTTJ but never got it like a lot of others have. I'd lived PC and Sweet Child O Mine from that album much more.

Good description, I guess that has a lot to do with why I like WTTJ much more. I'll take raw and bluesy over technical 7 days a week. I'm a sucker for a great guitar solo, but not just because it's hard to play. That means nothing to me. Anyone can learn how to play the guitar, but to write is another story. For instance Bumblefoots solos I saw on GNRs tours. He'd play this whacky Tom Morello sounding solo that, you know can't be easy to play, but it just sounded like noise to me. Then he took the Don't Cry solo, and put his own touch on it and it sounded amazing. 
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 01:37:52 PM »

This guitar riff is more Nirvana than Original GNR though so I don't think they have any similiarities whatsoever.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 01:38:44 PM »

Are u kidding me?

Power Chords are more technical than the riffage in WTTJ? CD is like 4 power chords the entire song.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: