Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 01:47:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228119 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How many copies must Chinese Democracy sell so that everyone will profit?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: How many copies must Chinese Democracy sell so that everyone will profit?  (Read 12918 times)
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« on: October 20, 2008, 07:30:18 AM »

We've all heard stories about how much this album has cost everyone from the record company to the promoters, Axl and everyone involved and we know Axl made a new licensing deal for his share of the back catalog to keep the weels turning.

I'm wondering what all this means. Who makes money off this album, how much and when? How much does the record company make off of each copy of CD and how many copies must be sold for everyone to come out on top? Do you think the members have royalty contracts or not?

Can someone please try to break down and explain how all this works?

If one has spent $15 mill, wouldn't you need to sell more than 3 million copies to avoid red numbers?

And last: How many copies do you think CD will sell the first year?

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 07:39:26 AM »

theres other ways of recouping the 15 million dollars then just cd sales,
as rockband 2 + body of lies has proven...
So its NOT really important if they dont get the whole 15 million (which they wont) from the cd sales.

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 07:41:57 AM »

also a BESTBUY exclusive probably earned them some scratch...And now it's probably up to BESTBUY to promote..Which doesn't cost them that much since they already have a weekly circular..Wonder if BESTBUY will be a tour sponser..
wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 07:50:03 AM »

I am sick as hell today, but I will try to give my point of view; well, first of all, it was never (and will never be confirmed) how much was spent on recording... there are many numbers floating around and it is no simple maths.

If we take simply and relatively 15m spent and than, I don't know, we also take this rumour that BB has bought 3m (lets say at 5$) it would come even. Everything sold elsewhere worldwide would be a profit, split in some way between band and record company.

There are numerous other things that management and record company might or might not take into the deal. If those 15m where spent to record 3 or 4 albums and record company has a promise that they will have a release material every year or 2 it is another pair of gloves.

I think the biggest profit to the band comes from touring and royalites of music played on different places and occasions. The biggest profit to record company comes out of record sales.

As I see Axl has decided to take more control of everything - producing, deal negotiation etc. and has surrounded himself with some experienced people I am pretty sure they have accomplished a great deal for everyone.

What's most important in my point of view is Axl's stability and will to deal with problems as they come along... there will be problems. There will be issues. I am pretty sure he has strength to fight them all now. As much as I love Robin (and even Brain) most important thing is that once the wheel starts rolling (in a month time) everything just rolls continuously ... with or without Robin or anyone else.

I am sure Axl had a hell of a time, before and after and especially after the 5th of March, but most of the things were beyond his control and there was no fucking way to get them solved... unfortunatley!

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 07:53:40 AM by velimir » Logged
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 08:11:50 AM »

A whole lot! 

In this day & age of illegal downloading and pirating, it is a bit of a tall order.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »

IWhat's most important in my point of view is Axl's stability and will to deal with problems as they come along... there will be problems. There will be issues. I am pretty sure he has strength to fight them all now. As much as I love Robin (and even Brain) most important thing is that once the wheel starts rolling (in a month time) everything just rolls continuously ... with or without Robin or anyone else.

Im sure alot of them (though not member problems) have been fought already; thats why the albums taken so long since recording
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »

If we take simply and relatively 15m spent and than, I don't know, we also take this rumour that BB has bought 3m (lets say at 5$) it would come even. Everything sold elsewhere worldwide would be a profit, split in some way between band and record company.

Is this really realistic? That they come out even only on this deal i mean? Like can it be true that BB actually payed $5 for every CD. I mean, one should think that they could have gotten them cheaper since they bought 3 million. Thats alot of records if they really bought that many.

And, doesn't it cost like $2 just to produce a single CD? And wouldn't the record company have to spend alot of cash just shipping these CD's and what about the racks and posters and all the shit that comes with a huge release like this?

I'm just curious about this whole deal and want to discuss it because well i'm intrigued by this whole ordeal. People also tell me that there is no way in hell the record company will make money off this think unless they'll recieve money from touring.

Thanks for your answer tho, the whole picture is a little clearer as of how this thing might actually work out for everyone.

Isn't it also pretty wild to think that CD will sell 3 million in the states in the first place? This whole thing has been talked about alot, but often as a joke. Is all publisity good publisety in this case?

Theis is so fuckin crazy and exciting! I can't fuckin' believe it's actually happening!

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 08:47:39 AM »

well as I said I was just over-simplifying things... it is huge and complex issue... and we have no confirmation of 15m or 3m at all ... also it was mentioned few times that BB earns money on other things not CD sales. they maybe paid even more than 5$. Look at it at the other way, as a single retailer and with some risk You can earn 15m if You sell all CD's (if the retail price is 10$), would You do it? I would...

But, it is not that simple, more of just an illustration ...
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 09:08:08 AM »

To profit?

They can profit, but it won't come on album sales alone.

Through license deals, touring, merch, and album sales, they can profit.

C.D. needs to sell at least 5-7 million for this to happen, then we can talk about profitting.

The main gross comes from album sales, and in today's world, sales are slipping.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 09:15:23 AM »

So you think that the record company is doing this just to cut the losses? I mean, 5-7 million albums... Is that really possible?

Which album sold 5-7 million lately?

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 09:22:06 AM »

NIckelback sold 6 million i think

the eagles sold 7 million exlcusiveley through walmart

taylor swift sold 4 million

so it's possible

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Giant_Robot
Rocker

I am not your standard Chicken Dinner

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 09:27:45 AM »

So you think that the record company is doing this just to cut the losses? I mean, 5-7 million albums... Is that really possible?

Which album sold 5-7 million lately?

Overtime it will easily sell that, look how well oasis comeback record sold, and it not even that good of record.
"Don't Believe the Truth has sold more than 6 million copies worldwide"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Believe_the_Truth

Thanks Giant Robot...
markreed
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 09:42:40 AM »

Offset. That's where the money is. Chinese Democracy is not an album, its part of the marketing strategy to sell product by Guns N Roses.

To sell ?40-$100 concert tickets at 10-20-50,000 tickets a night : thats a gross of up to $5,000,000 for a nights work. 100 shows like that, and there's your profit.

To sell ?20-$30 concert T-shirts. To sell old records to new fans.

To sell live DVD's and CD's. To sell singles. To sell iTunes downloads and Rock Band and Geetar Hero files.

Chinese Democracy is just one part of this.

And don't forget what Axl has said in the past : this isn't just ONE album.

There will probably be a second album 18-24 months later. And maybe a third in 2012.

GNR will tour for quite a few years as a result, probably before vanishing into hibernation in 2012-2013 to work on an album that won't come out until at least 2015.

This isn't about one record : it's about a rebirth.

"the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds ; the pessimist fears this is true"
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 09:52:46 AM »

Offset. That's where the money is. Chinese Democracy is not an album, its part of the marketing strategy to sell product by Guns N Roses.

To sell ?40-$100 concert tickets at 10-20-50,000 tickets a night : thats a gross of up to $5,000,000 for a nights work. 100 shows like that, and there's your profit.

To sell ?20-$30 concert T-shirts. To sell old records to new fans.

To sell live DVD's and CD's. To sell singles. To sell iTunes downloads and Rock Band and Geetar Hero files.

Chinese Democracy is just one part of this.

And don't forget what Axl has said in the past : this isn't just ONE album.

There will probably be a second album 18-24 months later. And maybe a third in 2012.

GNR will tour for quite a few years as a result, probably before vanishing into hibernation in 2012-2013 to work on an album that won't come out until at least 2015.

This isn't about one record : it's about a rebirth.

So you don't believe in a reunion in 09?  hihi

I see your point.

In the end the rumored $15 could be well spent money so to say.

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 09:58:14 AM »

I'm wondering what all this means. Who makes money off this album, how much and when? How much does the record company make off of each copy of CD and how many copies must be sold for everyone to come out on top? Do you think the members have royalty contracts or not?
I think the "when you'll see a profit" part is all relative to your role ... with the business people like the record company and best buy being the last to see the profits.

I would think that the band got paid up-front along with all the other people who worked on/contributed to CD over the years and that those with writing/performing credits will, by contract, see their royalties/profits instantly.     

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 10:01:27 AM »

these "15 million" should be spread on 3 records.. this album only needs to make up for 5 million and that's probably easy since they are 13.99 bucks a piece weren't they?
Jaakko
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 01:45:52 PM »

these "15 million" should be spread on 3 records.. this album only needs to make up for 5 million and that's probably easy since they are 13.99 bucks a piece weren't they?

Agreed. If Guns release more than one album, there's a very good chance everybody involved gets their money. Hey, fortunately money-issue is not our headache, there are professionals who do the maths.

I don't think Axl is personally bankrupt if Chinese Democracy won't sell X million records.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 03:34:51 PM »

Just think how much GnR got from Rockband to have a new GnR song never released, released first on their video game? I am sure that made some good money for GnR and also helped them advertise for free their new album.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 03:41:47 PM »

i dont know why so many people are focused on "Chinese Democracy" recouping recording costs....I know the "Greatest Hits" album the label threw out there has probably recouped  a good portion of it....plus I doubt the label cares too much about this ONE record recouping what was spent...having GNR on the label for the next how ever many years im sure will generate more than enough money...

P.S with more and more artists releasing music on their own I dont think it would be in the best interest of the label to nitpick about what was spent on this record....major labels are a dying breed...i wouldnt be too concerned about it...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 03:43:31 PM by Shadows7XXX » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 03:42:07 PM »

Is this really realistic? That they come out even only on this deal i mean? Like can it be true that BB actually payed $5 for every CD. I mean, one should think that they could have gotten them cheaper since they bought 3 million. Thats alot of records if they really bought that many.

And, doesn't it cost like $2 just to produce a single CD? And wouldn't the record company have to spend alot of cash just shipping these CD's and what about the racks and posters and all the shit that comes with a huge release like this?

I'm just curious about this whole deal and want to discuss it because well i'm intrigued by this whole ordeal. People also tell me that there is no way in hell the record company will make money off this think unless they'll recieve money from touring.

Thanks for your answer tho, the whole picture is a little clearer as of how this thing might actually work out for everyone.

Isn't it also pretty wild to think that CD will sell 3 million in the states in the first place? This whole thing has been talked about alot, but often as a joke. Is all publisity good publisety in this case?

Theis is so fuckin crazy and exciting! I can't fuckin' believe it's actually happening!

This is why u do an exclusive though. If Best Buy bought 3 million let's say. That's 3 million albums GNR will get money for regardless.

that is how u break even on CD and then the other two are pure profit.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: