Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 01:38:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Brain about Chinese Democracy & BrainBeatz.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brain about Chinese Democracy & BrainBeatz.com  (Read 14823 times)
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2008, 10:46:32 PM »

Perhaps not in the right topic but move if feel like...

Brain on democracy.. (josh freese wrote the drums for Twat)

http://eqmag.tv/index.html?req=1&station=eqtvbrain&video=eqtv/inthestudio/eqtv_l07_braincd
That's a source!!!
Lol, Brain is the modern-day Sorum. (Except he's nowhere near as big as an asshole  yes)

Brain also has a writing credit on an officially released GnR song ok
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2008, 11:51:07 PM »

So is Axl saying Josh Freese is great technically but has no feel?

I don't think so. Did he tell you that?

CaughtMeInaComa
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2008, 12:05:17 AM »

Axl recorded things and had things Re-Recorded and Re-Recorded over and over again with different musicans.
I think we all knew that, But WOW.... to hear it from the source is fantastic!

It's all coming together now.
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2008, 12:14:37 AM »

Fucking incredible story!

Thanks BRAIN for sharing!!

Gives us a small glimpse of how particular Axl was in recording this material and why it took so long.

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2008, 12:26:41 AM »

That was great!! What a process Tongue, and I thought I wanted to be in a rock n roll band, Grin sounds like a great deal of hard work, but in the end it must be so rewarding. Wink

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2008, 12:49:56 AM »

One of the best interviews we've seen so far on the album..

So in the last week, Chris and Brain have both given a little insight into the album..  Hopefully we'll learn even more as we get closer to release and after its released.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2008, 01:34:09 AM »

I dunno, the more I think about that story, the more it sounds like they played a horrible practical joke on Brain. hihi

Haha, I like your thinking hihi

Was very intresting to watch, I sure hope Brain will still be touring with the band. peace
Does anyone else see this as the "gag order" being letup because the release is upcoming?

Yeah, as this in many ways advertise and promote a product I can see it.
BUT the real question I'm asking to myself here, is Brain didn't feel artistically frustrated or even a bit insulted to redone a work already made instead of doing himself the job ?

I don't think so.
Brain is professional, he can play everything and said so in many interviews.

He think knowing the schoolwork is just as important as having your own feel as suppliments eachother.

And also because this is his work, like any other work. I think he has written a lot of his own stuff on CD tho ok

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2008, 01:52:55 AM »

A transcription...

Drummer Brain Reveals How Chinese Democracy Was Made

by Paul Cashmere - October 17 2008

The long awaited Guns ?n Roses album has taken 15 years to be released. It will finally see the light of day in November.

Drummer Brain has revealed to EQTV how more than $300,000 was spent over a 7 month period on redoing the drum bits note for note after Josh Freese left the band and how he now has the record for the duration that a single drum kit had been set-up in a studio.

?I think I have the record for how long drums were set-up in a studio and I think it was five years that my drums were set-up at the Village Recorders in Los Angeles,? Brain said. ?It was five years and it went through three different producers. It went through Sean Beaven, Roy Thomas Baker and then I guess Axl is the producer now. Five years my drums were set-up.

Brain said his predecessor Josh Freese played on 30 songs and then left the band. Axl Rose liked Brain?s feel but wanted what had Josh played so he had Brain replicate exactly note for note everything Josh had done.

Brain says he spent 7 months putting down the drum pieces in a studio that was costing $2000 a day.

To learn the parts was a chore in itself. The drums pieces for 30 songs had to be transcribed. That job went to a guy at Sony who was handed two CDs of all of the songs and had to transcribe them note for note. ?It was every song written out note for note. Some were seven minute songs including Josh doing solos,? he said.

And remember this was a G ?n R project. The ordinary everyday studio was not good enough for ?Chinese Democracy?. ?It was recorded upstairs in an auditorium that used to be a Masonic temple. ?It had a huge bottomesque sound?.

?Chinese Democracy? will be released on November 22.

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=6580

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2008, 02:20:11 AM »

Hilarious really.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
RancidPunx
VIP

FAITH

« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2008, 02:31:52 AM »

Freese is having a baby.I doubt he wants back in.I HOPE Brain is still in.

Fernando-Remember when you said you would swap your side stage view of the band for my pit view?Well, I do and I am holding you to it in 09!
*Hell "Freud" might say that's what I need*
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2008, 02:37:03 AM »

I really like Brain I think he's the best drummer for GnR.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2008, 02:56:41 AM »

I really like Brain I think he's the best drummer for GnR.

agreed, and I like the story about how all the other band mates were watching cartoons
down stairs whilst he was slaving over the hot ovens up stairs Wink

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
veritas55
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2008, 11:15:36 AM »

Great clip -- gives some insight into just how time consuming this project was, partly because of all the re-recording of parts, with musicians coming and going.

I also can understand why the label would have been pulling there hair out regarding this project -- it does not sound like there was much concern for costs when it came to doing this album.
Sweet Black Magic
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2008, 01:13:57 PM »

First...I'm no drummer or ANY other musician, but if I were Brain I think I'd be a little insulted about being brought in to do a note for note "remake" without any input at all.  Maybe the money was just that good?  Seems like a waste of talent...
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2008, 04:05:41 PM »

First...I'm no drummer or ANY other musician, but if I were Brain I think I'd be a little insulted about being brought in to do a note for note "remake" without any input at all.  Maybe the money was just that good?  Seems like a waste of talent...

As a drummer myself... being one for over 15 years and playing in many studios/sets for artists... it pisses me off. They sometimes as to do what has been done and I either do it or not depending on the music.

For a chance to be in GN'R... I would do it in a flash. Studio drumming and concert drumming is two different things. I hate the studio. My goal is always... IN and OUT... lol.

Josh's style is usually not that simple. The drumming on CD is rather simple. It's a straight back beat rock sound... pretty standard. Any pro-drummer could do it.

I wish Josh's style shined a bit more. If you listen to his work with APC, Evanescence, or even NIN... Josh is all over the place. I love Josh. He's my biggest influece and is my favorite drummer.
Concert is different... I enjoy it. Feeding off the other musicians and crowd... Live you have more freedom. In the studio you really don't.

I don't think he felt insulted, otherwise he wouldn't of had done it. If he did... and did it anyways, well... I prefer not to say anything.   Grin
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 04:07:57 PM by Silverchair » Logged

"They don?t make ?em like Vince Neil or Tommy Lee anymore. And there sure hasn?t been another Axl Rose. " via MSNBC- 2008.

"Think For Yourself, Question Authority"

HUMOR = Negative Karma
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2008, 09:23:36 AM »

really interesting...

the one thing i do not understand though is why did they want him to record the whole song in 1 take?

homo homini lupus...
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2008, 09:32:50 AM »

really interesting...

the one thing i do not understand though is why did they want him to record the whole song in 1 take?

I don't think he meant he could only use one take for each song. I think he meant that he wasn't able to record one piece of the song, stop and do the next one and then piece it together afterwards. Im sure doing the whole song in one go makes it flow better. Im also sure he used more than one take on the songs.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 09:35:24 AM by Hillel H?tz » Logged

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2008, 09:37:58 AM »

sorry i am not a musician but thats what i meant. Why did he have to record the whole song from start to finish? I know bands that record their songs "live" in order to improvise or get a better "groove" but if u record just the drums what difference does it make if you record the whole song at once?

homo homini lupus...
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2008, 09:50:47 AM »

Freese is having a baby.I doubt he wants back in.I HOPE Brain is still in.

You mean his wife is having a baby?

Awesome video, btw
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2008, 09:51:01 AM »

even if it's only the drums that's being recorded, Im betting it still has to do with the flow. Im sure most of us wouldn't hear the difference if it was pieces put together or played all the way through, but Axl could probably hear the difference and wanted it done this way.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: