Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 01:38:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Brain about Chinese Democracy & BrainBeatz.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brain about Chinese Democracy & BrainBeatz.com  (Read 14822 times)
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2008, 04:58:20 PM »

that's pretty fucking cool. the bit about the masonic temple.. eerie. i love it  beer

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
big guns
Opening Act

Why Don't You Just...FUCK OFF

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2008, 05:26:11 PM »

So is Axl saying Josh Freese is great technically but has no feel?

It seems so.

I don't think Axl implied that.  It sounds like he just prefers Brains spin on it.
Jack49
Opening Act

Use Your Illusion

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2008, 05:38:15 PM »

Wow, that is incredible
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2008, 05:43:42 PM »

llllllllllllllol. That was the kind of story I wanted to hear about an album as mythical as this one. Too funny. Brian is a good story teller.

gnrevolution.com
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2008, 05:44:37 PM »

Of course Brain came up with his parts on every song written from 2000 to 2006 - Shackler's, Better, The General, etc. ok

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2008, 05:45:58 PM »

Of course Brain came up with his parts on every song written from 2000 to 2006 - Shackler's, Better, The General, etc. ok

the general?HuhHuh

you know/ heard something we haven't??
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 05:49:55 PM by daviebuckethead » Logged

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
ben9785
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2008, 05:51:31 PM »

the general?HuhHuh

Baz mentioned it in an interview and specifically commented on Brains' drum work on the song.
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2008, 05:58:32 PM »

the general?HuhHuh

No, but Brain (or Baz?) mentioned that he wrote the song.

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
Pine Barrens
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2008, 06:04:58 PM »

As far as the different "feel" musicians' have, just think about the new GN'R's playing the old material as the have been on the recent tours. They are playing the same songs, same chords, but you can tell when it's the old band and when it's the new band playing them.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2008, 06:16:31 PM »

Does anyone else see this as the "gag order" being letup because the release is upcoming?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 06:22:59 PM by Loaded NightraiN » Logged
ben9785
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2008, 06:25:37 PM »

I really enjoyed that, and I hope other band members and contributors would give a candid insight into their work on the album.

The thing I don't understand is how Axl and Roy expect Brain to add his own "feel" to the music when they want him to copy Josh Freese note for note to such an extent. I believe Brain and Josh are both in a similar class, they are both very versatile, solid, proficient drummers. A drummers adds their own "feel" by being given the absolute 'basis' of a song and developing on it in their own way. Think about how Robin covers Slash's solos for instance. Robin has the basis of the melody, but then he plays it with his own feel, he doesn't copy Slash note for note, and even if you don't have musical proficiency, you can hear a clear difference between the two guitarists.

Perhaps Axl and Roy only had good intentions wanting Brain to have his presence on the album also. But if they were so happy with Josh's parts they should have left them be, and allow Brain to contribute to newer songs, just like how some of Buckethead's  parts remained intact after Bumblefoot joined.
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2008, 06:47:19 PM »

like it was said before, every musician plays with his own sensibility, so it's not a problem.

BUT the real question I'm asking to myself here, is Brain didn't feel artistically frustrated or even a bit insulted to redone a work already made instead of doing himself the job ?

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
ben9785
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2008, 06:53:30 PM »

like it was said before, every musician plays with his own sensibility, so it's not a problem.

BUT the real question I'm asking to myself here, is Brain didn't feel artistically frustrated or even a bit insulted to redone a work already made instead of doing himself the job ?

Yeah, compared to his own work that he does with Buckethead for instance, I'd expect that he treated that as more of a 'session' job. I really do hope there is some new music that Brain had creative input in because he is an amazing drummer.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2008, 07:00:49 PM »

Cool video! I really hope Brain is back in the fold for future tours, videos, etc. In addition to being an incredible drummer, he, along with Stinson (complimentary re: Duff in the past) Fortus (complimentary re: Izzy and the past) and Thal (complimentary re: Slash in the past), seem to have a pretty good sense of the GN'R "history" and "tradition" (I could see Slash and Duff getting a chuckle out of the Masonic Temple aspect of the story) IMHO. I think it's cool whenever the new guys embrace the band's rich legacy and not run away from it.

Also... "Play it EXACTLY as Josh played it... but with your feel". CLASSIC AXL! peace Cool

All that matters is that it meant something to Axl... and he no doubt knew what he was looking for once he heard it from Brain. smoking
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 07:06:11 PM by MaoAxl » Logged

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2008, 07:34:55 PM »

Perhaps not in the right topic but move if feel like...

Brain on democracy.. (josh freese wrote the drums for Twat)

http://eqmag.tv/index.html?req=1&station=eqtvbrain&video=eqtv/inthestudio/eqtv_l07_braincd
That's a source!!!
Lol, Brain is the modern-day Sorum. (Except he's nowhere near as big as an asshole  yes)

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2008, 08:15:28 PM »

Good to see what Brain has to say...

A few unsettling things, "i'm not getting paid enough for this", and the fact he's not even sure who the producer is

But some cool things: "epic, now this is led zeppelin", "this is GNR, we cant do this in the same studio as everyone else"
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2008, 10:03:56 PM »

Thanks I really enjoyed that!   ok

As for adding 'feel', to me this means how hard the notes are played, accenting notes, and of course the drum set up and sound. I do believe two drummers can play the same rhythm and make it sound completely diffrent. Listen to the way John Bonham played the simplest of beats, he made them sound so sweet

I really enjoyed Freese's drumming on OMG and CITR, and I would be happy to see Brain or Josh in the band. They're in a class of their own

Here today...ready to rock
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2008, 10:34:32 PM »

Good to see what Brain has to say...

A few unsettling things, "i'm not getting paid enough for this", and the fact he's not even sure who the producer is

Well I think he was just joking around about how LONG that would take him.

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2008, 10:42:54 PM »

That's a crazy story.  Can't believe RTB wanted him to do every song in one take  Shocked

But as far as Brain having no creative input, he said a while ago that The General was a song he had helped write and we know he has a writing credit on Shackler's.  So seems as though he just re-did the previously written stuff like IRS, CD, TWAT, Blues and did his own thing on the post-2000 songs like Better, Shackler's and so on. 

PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2008, 10:45:57 PM »

im almost sure that all of that was re-recorded by axl as a producer
nothing that was recorded by RTB or Sean Beavan will be heard in CD

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »