Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 03:32:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Gibson Guitar interviews with Slash
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gibson Guitar interviews with Slash  (Read 3301 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« on: September 28, 2008, 11:44:39 PM »

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7CsYvuFpUo

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ICcRTimr78&feature=user

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 10:26:54 AM »

Thanks for posting.

It looks like Gibson has added some new Slash videos:

http://www.gibson.com/slash/video.html

And there's a new contest... Cheesy

Go For The Gold
Slash YouTube Video Contest

Wouldn't it be cool if you could get the new Slash Signature Les Paul Goldtop from Gibson USA for free?

We personally asked Slash for a little help.

"Get a f*%@&#g gold grill for your teeth, man," advised Slash. "I don't wear a lot of gold, but it does look good on guitars. You can get some gold sneakers and some other stuff, and if you really want to take it to the extreme get yourself some gold bling, a gold grill, some gold tennis shoes, a gold jacket and just really do it up."

There you have it, right from Slash. The rest is up to you.

http://www.gibson.com/Slash/VideoContest/SlashVideoSubmit/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 07:15:03 PM »

New Track Featuring SLASH Part Of 'Gibson Presents: Hot Tones In High-Definition' - Oct. 2, 2008

Gibson Guitar, the musical instrument manufacturer, has partnered with HDtracks to offer free, downloadable, high-definition music ? a first of its kind collaboration for an instrument manufacturer. The exclusive offering to fans of Gibson Guitar, titled "Gibson Presents: Hot Tones in High-Definition", is a diverse collection of music performed by the world's best guitarists and will be available as a FREE download at Gibson.com for a limited time. "Gibson Presents: Hot Tones in High-Definition" features exclusive tracks from legendary performers Johnny A, Michael Burks, Billy Burnette, Chris Cain, Nick Colionne, Tinsley Ellis, Eric Johnson, Peter Karp, Big Bill Morganfield, Kenny Neal, Arlen Roth with Sonny Landreth, Neal Schon and Johnny Winter plus a never-before-heard instrumental track featuring father-and-son team Abraham Laboriel Sr. and Jr. performing with Slash (VELVET REVOLVER, GUNS N' ROSES). Guests at Gibson.com can read about the brilliant musical performances and download the entire album in high definition for free on Monday, October 6, 2008 and for 60 days thereafter through HDtracks.com. On December 6, 2008, the first-of-a-kind album will no longer be available with no plans to redistribute it in any format.

The high-definition format of "Gibson Presents: Hot Tones in High-Definition" guarantees a listening experience never available before for consumers. The resolution of the audio does matter! They will also have the option of choosing the format in which to download it. Fans who download the album are automatically entered to win an exclusive Gibson Robot Les Paul guitar and other prizes from Creative Labs.

"Gibson Presents: Hot Tones in High-Definition" is a non-DRM, high-definition download available in AIFF, FLAC, and 320kpbs MP3 formats. The download is available for 60 days in the U.S. and worldwide. Consumers will have the chance to hear some of the world's greatest masters of guitar tone on a
single disc. The project represents an enormous amount of passion for and dedication to creating the best possible high-definition experience for the Gibson consumer with no financial return to the company. It is a pioneering union of musical excellence and technical achievement for the 21st century.

The free distribution of a high-definition guitar album is possible now because of the massive access of today's Internet users to high-speed DSL and cable services. Gibson Guitar Chairman and CEO, Henry Juszkiewicz and David Chesky, co-founder of audiophile label Chesky Records are two technologists who, over a recent lunch in New York, combined their ideas and efforts to create the inaugural offering from Gibson.com and HDtracks.com.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=106074

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 11:46:24 PM »

New Track Featuring SLASH Part Of 'Gibson Presents: Hot Tones In High-Definition' - Oct. 2, 2008

Gibson Guitar, the musical instrument manufacturer, has partnered with HDtracks to offer free, downloadable, high-definition music ? a first of its kind collaboration for an instrument manufacturer. The exclusive offering to fans of Gibson Guitar, titled "Gibson Presents: Hot Tones in High-Definition", is a diverse collection of music performed by the world's best guitarists and will be available as a FREE download at Gibson.com for a limited time. "Gibson Presents: Hot Tones in High-Definition" features exclusive tracks from legendary performers Johnny A, Michael Burks, Billy Burnette, Chris Cain, Nick Colionne, Tinsley Ellis, Eric Johnson, Peter Karp, Big Bill Morganfield, Kenny Neal, Arlen Roth with Sonny Landreth, Neal Schon and Johnny Winter plus a never-before-heard instrumental track featuring father-and-son team Abraham Laboriel Sr. and Jr. performing with Slash (VELVET REVOLVER, GUNS N' ROSES). Guests at Gibson.com can read about the brilliant musical performances and download the entire album in high definition for free on Monday, October 6, 2008 and for 60 days thereafter through HDtracks.com. On December 6, 2008, the first-of-a-kind album will no longer be available with no plans to redistribute it in any format.

The high-definition format of "Gibson Presents: Hot Tones in High-Definition" guarantees a listening experience never available before for consumers. The resolution of the audio does matter! They will also have the option of choosing the format in which to download it. Fans who download the album are automatically entered to win an exclusive Gibson Robot Les Paul guitar and other prizes from Creative Labs.

"Gibson Presents: Hot Tones in High-Definition" is a non-DRM, high-definition download available in AIFF, FLAC, and 320kpbs MP3 formats. The download is available for 60 days in the U.S. and worldwide. Consumers will have the chance to hear some of the world's greatest masters of guitar tone on a
single disc. The project represents an enormous amount of passion for and dedication to creating the best possible high-definition experience for the Gibson consumer with no financial return to the company. It is a pioneering union of musical excellence and technical achievement for the 21st century.

The free distribution of a high-definition guitar album is possible now because of the massive access of today's Internet users to high-speed DSL and cable services. Gibson Guitar Chairman and CEO, Henry Juszkiewicz and David Chesky, co-founder of audiophile label Chesky Records are two technologists who, over a recent lunch in New York, combined their ideas and efforts to create the inaugural offering from Gibson.com and HDtracks.com.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=106074

I wonder if its Vocalise on the Les Paul tribute?Huh
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 03:55:59 PM »

Rock Icon Slash To Appear At Sam Ash Hollywood

2008-10-02

Los Angeles, CA. (Top40 Charts/ Sam Ash Music Store) - Guitar legend, artist and philanthropist Slash will be doing an exclusive meet and greet at the Sam Ash Music store in Hollywood, CA located at 7360 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA on Tuesday, October 7th, 2008. The iconic rock star will be celebrating the release of the new Gibson USA and Epiphone Slash Signature Les Paul model guitars.

The new Epiphone Slash Signature Les Paul Goldtop is limited to just 2,000 guitars worldwide and are built using many of the same traditional guitar building processes and techniques that have made Gibson's family of stringed instruments the absolute finest in the world.
The Gibson USA Slash Signature Les Paul Goldtop gives guitar enthusiasts around the world the chance to own a guitar created and designed by Slash, the legend who single-handedly revitalized the electric guitar with some of the world's most colossal riffs known to the mortal man. The Gibson USA model is limited to only 1,000 guitars worldwide. No others of either version will be produced once the limited edition quantity is sold out.

Both versions of the limited edition guitars will be available that day at Sam Ash Music locations across the country. Slash will sign autographs during his appearance at the Sam Ash Hollywood location. Any customer who purchases either model on the day of the appearance or who attends the event with any other Slash signature Gibson or Epiphone guitar which may have been purchased previously, will have the opportunity to have the guitar autographed by the legendary musician. No other guitars other than Slash Gibson or Epiphone models will be considered for this opportunity.

Slash has left a lasting imprint on the world that cannot be measured in a few short words. His trademark sound is as original as it is unmistakable. His music catalog spans several decades, a body of work that has given us some of rock's greatest anthems. From television and radio to professional sporting events, his music continues to provide a soundtrack for life.
Most recently, the legendary guitarist/songwriter can be seen featured in the latest installment of the wildly popular video game Guitar Hero for which he wrote and recorded the game's theme song and his character's guitar solo. His current band Velvet Revolver recently completed a tour of Europe, Australia, the Middle East, and the States in support of its second album, "Libertad", which has spawned several chart topping singles.

This special event takes place at the Sam Ash Music Store located at 7360 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA. Slash is scheduled to appear from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM.

http://top40-charts.com/news/Rock/Rock-Icon-Slash-To-Appear-At-Sam-Ash-Hollywood/43248.html

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 03:59:09 PM »

SLASH Interviewed By SPIN.com; Video Available - Oct. 2, 2008

SPIN.com has posted a six-and-a-half-minute video of Ben Lashes of Seattle punk group the LASHES chatting it up with former GUNS N' ROSES and current VELVET REVOLVER guitarist Slash filmed at the September 3, 2008 installment of Guitar Center Sessions in Northridge, California.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=106064

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 04:51:01 PM »

Guitar legend, artist and philanthropist Slash will be doing an exclusive meet and greet at the Sam Ash Music store in Hollywood

I don't think I have ever seen Slash referred to as a philanthropist before... Undecided

IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 06:27:05 PM »

Guitar legend, artist and philanthropist Slash will be doing an exclusive meet and greet at the Sam Ash Music store in Hollywood

I don't think I have ever seen Slash referred to as a philanthropist before... Undecided

Think of all the drug dealers he got off the street and into lamborghini's hihi

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 07:24:34 PM »

Well, remember the kid with Cancer?  And he has played several benefit shows.. I think he is a closet giver.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 09:21:08 PM »

Well, remember the kid with Cancer?  And he has played several benefit shows.. I think he is a closet giver.

The kid with cancer was very generous, the rest...I think philanthropist is stretching it a bit....

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 10:47:03 AM »

Guitar Icon Slash Talks Les Paul, Theivery and Action Figures at Sam Ash Music

by Erin Broadley
October 7, 2008 10:33 PM

Sitting inside a parked Gibson tour bus behind Sam Ash Music in Hollywood, Slash peers at me over sunglasses and through his tumble of curly hair that threatens to catch fire with every Marlboro he lights. We sit at a narrow table and Slash smiles, stretching out in the booth across from me, wearing deconstructed army fatigues, a faded t-shirt with sleeves rolled up, and let's not forget the classic black leather top hat.

Forgoing typical rock talk for more nerdy fare, we're discussing the weather, which lately in Los Angeles could be signaling the Apocalypse, with unpredictable storms one day and sweltering heat the next. Slash takes a drag off his smoke and says, "It's insane, I know. It's like the end of the world."

Slash is excited to talk with the L.A. Weekly, which he calls "the only publication that really gets under the fingernails of this [city]." Likewise, I am excited to be talking to him, the man of a million projects. In the past year alone the Velvet Revolver and ex-Guns N' Roses guitarist released an autobiography, parted ways with VR singer Scott Weiland, became the face of Guitar Hero III and announced plans for his first solo-album.

On the day of our interview I met up with Slash at Sam Ash for the October 7th launch of his signature series Les Paul Goldtop guitar, a reissue built to sound exactly like the one stolen from him in 1998. Read on for our interview, photo and video footage of the Sam Ash event and exclusive pics from inside the tour bus.

L.A. Weekly: So tell me more about this Sam Ash event and the Les Paul reissue.

Slash: This is a new Les Paul that Gibson is launching today, actually. It's basically a replica of a guitar I used for years. I got it from Gibson. It was 1991 so it was a brand new, off the showroom floor Goldtop and I used it for all these epic songs with these long sustained note guitar solos like "November Rain," "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," "Sweet Child of Mine" and a couple other songs like the Godfather theme. Anyhow, it was just this amazing sounding guitar, very well rounded. What I loved was I'd take the tone off the rhythm pick up, turn it all the way down, do these solos and it was just sustained for days. There was no real pick attack because you turned the tone down so you just got this creamy sound. I loved it. In 1998 I was hanging out watching a movie with a friend and realized I was missing all this stuff. My guitar tech came back all white, like, "All your guitars are gone." It was unreal. Like something out of a bad dream. Slowly but surely over the years I got the guitars back and the only one I didn't get back was the Goldtop. So finally I went to Gibson and said, "Can you guys look up the specs on the 1991 Goldtop?" And they did and they built me one. They thought it would be a good idea to make a Slash model.

L.A. Weekly: What's funny is I remember you once told me about your kleptomaniac tendencies as a kid.

Slash: [Laughs] Yeah, it all comes back.

L.A. Weekly: [Laughs] And someone actually stole your top hat once.

Slash: That's because I was drunk and passed out in a booth at this club. And I woke up sans hat. What's funny is a long time ago when I was sort of a street rat I've always had this thing for guitars since day one, this mystique about them, and I remember there was a neighbor of mine that had a big plate glass window that looked into his living room and he had a Rhodes keyboard and a Les Paul in there. This was during my stealing days and I'd walk by there and scheme on how I was going to get in. [Laughs] But I never did do it and I think that was karmically proper.

L.A. Weekly: You've said about band dynamics that you don't think there needs to be volatile chemistry in a band to create good music. For the solo album, without having a domineering or problematic frontman to deal with, is that opening up doors for you?

Slash: Sitting around thinking about stuff every so often, I realize that where I get the most inspiration is when the guys that you're working with... it's like being with a woman... you have this energy. When you have a lot of negative stuff going on it just completely depletes the creative process. It's nice to be able to do a solo record and do whatever the fuck I want.

L.A. Weekly: I interviewed Dave Mustaine awhile back at Guitar Center Sessions and he sang your praises but then said, "Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours."

Slash: Well, that is actually true. Anybody who knows me knows that technically I couldn't play my way out of a paper bag. [Laughs] Or a Kentucky Fried Chicken Bucket, for that matter. I manage to do what it is I do based on a certain kind of feel and sound. I'm getting better at it but I've never been what you'd call a technical guitar player so he's totally right [laughs].

L.A. Weekly: I also read today that you have a Slash action figure coming out and it says your action figure has 15 movable parts. What are these movable parts exactly?

Slash: I have yet to see it. Maybe you can move all ten fingers [laughs].

L.A. Weekly: Maybe your ears wiggle?

Slash: [Smiles] I don't know. It's a McFarlane Toys thing from the Guitar Hero III game. I'm hoping it's ten movable fingers because I can't think of any other movable parts [laughs]!

Video Footage From Sam Ash Music, October 7th: http://blogs.laweekly.com/play/interviews/guitar-icon-slash-talks-les-pa/

Slideshow: http://www.laweekly.com/slideshow/view/158786/26?play=true

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 11:08:31 PM »

SLASH GIBSON PREMIERES AS HE GIVES AWAY GUITAR SECRETS

October 08, 2008 -

Gibson and guitar virtuoso Slash have officially released the Slash Signature Series Les Paul Goldtop. The guitar, which is available from Epiphone and Gibson USA, is built using many of the same traditional guitar building processes and techniques that have made Gibson?s family of stringed instruments the absolute finest in the world. The new Epiphone Slash Signature Les Paul Goldtop is limited to just 2,000 guitars worldwide and The Gibson USA model is limited to only 1,000 guitars worldwide. No other guitars of either version will be produced once the limited edition quantity is sold out.

We caught up with Slash during the unveiling of his signature guitar and autograph signing at Sam Ash in Hollywood, California to get his thoughts on what an honor it is for Gibson to release a Slash signature guitar.

"Just to let you know, it's a huge honor.  This is actually the third Slash model that we've done in the space of a year.  So that's a huge honor that I can put a guitar out through Gibson and then it commands to have another made."

So what went into designing the Slash signature series guitar?

"I start off with what is basically a Les Paul and then you know over the years I've learned how to make Les Paul's work better for me.  You know particular things that you pick up.  So, what we do is we start with making sure the neck is sort of a thinner neck as opposed to being very round in the back.  It's sort of flat and we changed the pickups and we put in Seymour Duncan Alnico II pickups in it and we use a Tonepro Bridge, which is a particular type of bridge.  That's a lot of the changing that I do and this particular guitar we customized the tone pots so that when you turn them down you don't lose any presence or volume.  That's basically it, the rest of it is just pure Les Paul."

Video: http://www.artisannews.com/ans101/templates/?a=5261&z=98

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 11:13:55 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: