Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 10:34:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  SLASH, JOE PERRY Featured On 'Les Paul & Friends - A Tribute To A Legend'
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: SLASH, JOE PERRY Featured On 'Les Paul & Friends - A Tribute To A Legend'  (Read 9347 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 12:52:25 PM »

And this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9KjTCOaxBA

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 01:03:57 PM »

Jaw Dropping..... WOW!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 01:10:43 PM »

And this!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-FdfEwgnjc

Fuck Me, Slash's Chops have improved!!!
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 01:21:31 PM »

Cool! The backing rhythm is Snakepit's 'Jizz Da Pit' ending smoking
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 01:30:19 PM »

Cool! The backing rhythm is Snakepit's 'Jizz Da Pit' ending smoking

I noticed that.. The other two clips are vocalise... Was really cool!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »

This video is better...

SLASH Performs At LES PAUL Tribute Concert; Video Available - Nov. 16, 2008

According to The Plain Dealer, former GUNS N' ROSES and current VELVET REVOLVER guitarist Slash was on hand Saturday night (November 15) at Cleveland's Playhouse Square's State Theatre for a salute to Les Paul, the original guitar hero. The guest of honor forever changed the sound of popular music when he invented a solid-body electric guitar. It came into vogue in the 1950s, along with a guitar-driven style of music called rock 'n' roll.

Slash put on a one-man guitar clinic, coaxing ecstatic squeals and passionate wails during the moody jam "Vocalise".

Read the entire report from The Plain Dealer.

Fan-filmed video footage of Slash's performance at the event can be viewed below (courtesy of "BigMac2395").

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=109021

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 05:40:53 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 11:21:19 PM »

This video is better...

SLASH Performs At LES PAUL Tribute Concert; Video Available - Nov. 16, 2008

According to The Plain Dealer, former GUNS N' ROSES and current VELVET REVOLVER guitarist Slash was on hand Saturday night (November 15) at Cleveland's Playhouse Square's State Theatre for a salute to Les Paul, the original guitar hero. The guest of honor forever changed the sound of popular music when he invented a solid-body electric guitar. It came into vogue in the 1950s, along with a guitar-driven style of music called rock 'n' roll.

Slash put on a one-man guitar clinic, coaxing ecstatic squeals and passionate wails during the moody jam "Vocalise".

Read the entire report from The Plain Dealer.

Fan-filmed video footage of Slash's performance at the event can be viewed below (courtesy of "BigMac2395").

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=109021

Pretty Damn awesome!!!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 03:03:24 PM »

Slash, Billy Gibbons Jam for Les Paul at Rock Hall?s American Music Masters Concert

11/17/08, 2:36 pm EST

Six decades of six-string greats gathered for the American Music Masters Tribute Concert honoring Les Paul at Cleveland?s State Theater on Saturday. The sold-out show was the climax of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum?s week-long tribute to one of the top guitar performers and innovators. Even Guitar Hero poster-boy Slash was wide-eyed and humble like a freshman glad to be at a seniors? party.

(Click below to watch Slash open up about his four Les Pauls ? including the one he used on ?Sweet Child O? Mine? ? plus interviews with Billy Gibbons and Richie Sambora.)

Backstage before the show, Patti Smith Group guitarist Lenny Kaye neatly summarized Paul?s contributions: ?Before Les, guitars were only amplified. Les made them truly electric.? Born in 1915, Paul had a string of hit singles from the 1940s through the ?60s. As an engineer, player and technician, he pioneered solid-body guitar construction, the lead guitar position, multitrack recording and effects from delay to phasing. He designed a family of heavy guitars for Gibson, the most famous of which might be the 1988 Les Paul standard from Guns n? Roses? ?Sweet Child? video. Said Paul during his acceptance speech, ?Everybody thought I was a guitar until I played here tonight.?

The concert was chummy gathering of peers, many with a similar story about seeing the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show, buying a fake Les Paul replica, getting a real one, achieving fame, meeting Paul, and finding him to be a funny, likeable guy who?s still hard to keep up with onstage.

Paul capped the three-and-a-half hour tribute by accepting an American Music Masters award statue and playing a set with the Les Paul Trio, which backed him for a tear-jerking rendition of ?Somewhere Over the Rainbow.? The marathon concert kicked off with renditions of Paul?s material, including a lighter-than-air ?Lover (When You?re Near Me)? by Jennifer Batten (Michael Jackson, Jeff Beck) and a deft take on ?Vaya Con Dios? by Alannah Myles and Kaye.

The show transitioned with songs from the new Les Paul and Friends: Tribute to a Legend album, with highlights like Slash?s airy ?Vocalise? and Richie Sambora?s ?Great Hall of Fame,? a tribute to bar-band lifers. The diamond-selling artists kept the crowd happy with tunes they said Paul made possible. Sambora sang Bon Jovi?s ?Wanted Dead or Alive,? and the night ended with an all-star jam.

Backstage before the show, Slash said, ?Les Paul guitars have a certain tonal characteristic that is really meaningful to me. It?s a big rock & roll sound.? ZZ Top?s Billy Gibbons said Paul didn?t so much hotwire the guitar as weaponize it. ?He had the rather unusual idea to bring out this war club and electrify it ? something [that seemed] unnecessary or frivolous, but turned out to be a cornerstone of popular culture.?

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/11/17/slash-billy-gibbons-jam-for-les-paul-at-rock-halls-american-music-masters-concert/#

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 11:15:47 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuVETrOqsD8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgHEcfwhR58
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2008, 01:47:31 PM »

Slash, Richie Sambora and Billy Gibbons Talk First Guitars, Famous Riffs

12/12/08, 12:23 pm EST

When Rock Daily caught up with Slash, Richie Sambora and ZZ Top?s Billy Gibbons at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?s tribute to Les Paul last November, the trio of guitarists chatted about the influence the legendary guitarist had on their work.

Slash

On his first Les Paul:
?The first guitar I ever got was a Les Paul copy. Guitar players I liked played it, and I liked the way it looked. And I figured if that guy sounds like that, and that?s the guitar he used, it?s common sense. The Les Paul is really an extension of me.?

On the ?Sweet Child O? Mine? riff:
?There was not a lot of forethought to ?Sweet Child O? Mine, that riff. It was just something I was messing around, and stumbled across this interesting pattern. I?ve got to give credit to Axl and the other guys in the band for really turning it into a song.?

On the Les Paul in the ?Sweet Child? video:
?I?m pretty sure that?s the ?88 Les Paul, the first Les Paul I ever got from Gibson. They charged me like $500 bucks for it ? cost. I had that guitar for years and years. The Gold Top came later.?

How Les Paul influenced Slash:
?The style that Les Paul plays is not something you hear a lot around rock and roll? It?s probably what makes my playing a little jazzier than a lot of rock players. Also, I was really influenced by his use of delay, this really great slap-back echo ? I used that a lot. It?s become a mainstay for a lot of rock guitar players. Also, he?s got a great sense of melody. That was a big influence on me, trying to introduce a melody that?s actually saying something.?

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/12/12/slash-richie-sambora-and-billy-gibbons-talk-first-guitars-famous-riffs/

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2009, 12:52:22 PM »

Rock and Roll Sound Check: Slash

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR7J9u7hy3o

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=108408

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: