Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 12:34:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  SLASH, JOE PERRY Featured On 'Les Paul & Friends - A Tribute To A Legend'
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: SLASH, JOE PERRY Featured On 'Les Paul & Friends - A Tribute To A Legend'  (Read 9360 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: September 26, 2008, 11:03:28 PM »

SLASH, JOE PERRY Featured On 'Les Paul & Friends - A Tribute To A Legend' - Sep. 24, 2008

Immergent Records will release "Les Paul & Friends - A Tribute To A Legend" on September 30. This "tribute" to the beloved living music legend Les Paul, produced by Bob Cutarella (ERIC CLAPTON, STING, JOSS STONE, ALISON KRAUSS, JEFF BECK), includes performances from Slash, Joe Bonamassa, Richie Sambora, Joe Perry, Peter Frampton, Jeff Golub, as well as vocalists Joan Osborne, Edgar Winter, Mick Hucknall from SIMPLY RED, Johnny Rzeznik, Lisa Fischer, and many others. Notably Les Paul himself plays alongside his prot?g?s on several tracks. Sadly, it was during the post-production of this CD that famed barefoot guitarist Hiram Bullock passed away, making this his last official recording.

Les Paul can still be found playing his legendary namesake guitar at his standing Monday night gig in Manhattan, a further testament (if any was needed) to the fact that he has given his life over to music. "A Tribute To A Legend" is a fitting honor to the genre-crossing icon with an eclectic collection of musicians spanning the musical spectrum. From the hard-hitting thunder of Joe Bonammassa's blues-shredding guitar, to the fluid, ethereal, quasi-blow-by-blow guitar groove provided by six-string icon Slash, this CD covers the gamut of guitar and recording techniques. Solid tributes, most of which also include the 93-year old Les Paul are turned in by Johnny Rzeznik covering U2's "All I Ever Want Is You"; Joan Osborne's smoky rendition of "I Don't Wanna Be With Anybody But You"; and even Richie Sambora's spiritual vocal on "Great Hall Of Fame". Fans of instrumental music will marvel at tracks by noted guitarist Jeff Golub, Chieli Minucci and Steve Lukather's fluid work on the Todd Rundgren classic "I Saw The Light", and much more.

Here's the complete track listing:

01. The Good Luck You're Having (featuring Joe Bonamassa & Les Paul
02. The Walls Came Tumbling Down (featuring Hiram Bullock & Les Paul
03. I Don't Wanna Be With Nobody But You (featuring Joan Osborne & Les Paul
04. All I Want Is You (featuring Johnny Rzeznik - Peter Frampton & Les Paul)
05. Slipping Into Darkness (featuring Lisa Fischer & Les Paul)
06. 69 Freedom Special (featuring Les Paul & Friends)
07. Vocalise (featuring Slash)
08. I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know (featuring Mick Hucknall, Joe Perry & Les Paul)
09. How Long (featuring Jeff Golub)
10. Great Hall Of Fame (featuring Richie Sambora)

Bonus tracks (offered as download at various Internet download sites):

01. Dying To Live (featuring Edgar Winter)
02. Children Of The Future (featuring C, C, & C)
03. I Saw The Light (featuring Chieli Minucci & Steve Lukather)

Check out Slash's contribution at this location: http://www.almightyjukebox.com/index.php?volume=23&song=2

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=105517

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 11:40:58 PM »

WOW

not bad for an overrated guitar player huh Jim Bob? yes

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 04:42:30 AM »

Awesome tune, that totally fits the mood I'm in right now beer
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 05:30:13 AM »

smoking... smoking

homo homini lupus...
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 08:07:50 AM »

outstanding.

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
Agno
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 09:21:29 AM »

Beautiful! What a good guitarist he is!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 01:25:13 PM »

WOW

not bad for an overrated guitar player huh Jim Bob? yes

That was Brilliant... makes me want to cry!!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 12:03:47 AM »

This is one of Slash's greatest fucking moments ever.  Pure brilliance.  I listened to several versions of this classical song on youtube, this one can hang with all of them.  Its really, really incredible... I even hear a lil buckethead influence with the kill switch on the clean tone guitar.  I am so impressed... I hope his solo album is of this high of quality...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 12:20:52 AM »

Myspace link to album...

http://www.myspace.com/lespaultribute
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 05:06:18 PM »

Bump... How we have bowling ball tournaments with almost as many posts when this is some of Slash's greatest stuff ever is beyond me.  I bought the song off Amazon the other day.  Just .99 and it uploads it to your itunes.  Check it out...

Here is the song again..

http://www.almightyjukebox.com/index.php?volume=23&song=2
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 05:14:20 PM »

What do u mean Kill switch?

where at in the song?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 06:34:36 PM »

What do u mean Kill switch?

where at in the song?

Like what buckethead does a lot.....

From 3:07-3:10 it kicks in.. Sounds similar.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 12:31:32 PM »

This one's for you Smoking Guns...

Slash, Richie Sambora, Billy Gibbons and other guitar greats booked for Les Paul tribute concert Nov. 15 at State Theatre

by John Soeder / Plain Dealer Pop Music Critic
Thursday October 09, 2008, 10:30 AM

Slash of Guns N' Roses and Velvet Revolver, Bon Jovi's Richie Sambora and Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top are among the musical luminaries lined up for a Les Paul tribute concert at 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 15, at PlayhouseSquare's State Theatre in Cleveland.

The show is the climax of a weeklong American Music Masters salute to electric-guitar pioneer Paul, presented by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, Case Western Reserve University and Gibson Guitar Corp.

"I have tremendous respect for Les Paul," Slash said. "He's such an icon in the guitar-playing world, let alone the recording world."

Also on the bill: the Ventures, Alannah Myles (best known for her 1990 hit "Black Velvet") and various hotshot guitarists, including former Elvis Presley sideman James Burton, Dennis Coffey of Motown's Funk Brothers, the Patti Smith Group's Lenny Kaye, Steve Lukather of Toto, Barbara Lynn and Jennifer Batten.

Paul, 93, is expected to attend, too. His name has graced a line of Gibson guitars since 1952.

"I'm looking forward to it," said Slash (real name: Saul Hudson), reached by phone Wednesday at home in Los Angeles.

Yes, he played a Les Paul guitar on Guns N' Roses' immortal "Sweet Child o' Mine" -- and on countless other songs in Slash's repertoire.

"A lot of great guitar players played a Les Paul, so I identified with the sound of it," Slash said. "It's an extension of what I'm trying to communicate as a musician."

Concert tickets -- $30, $40 and $50 -- are on sale at the PlayhouseSquare box office and at PlayhouseSquare.org, or charge by phone, 216-241-6000. VIP packages, $250 (including admission to a pre-show cocktail reception) and $500 (cocktail reception and after-party), can be purchased by calling 216-515-1207.

Paul designed and built one of the first solid-body electric guitars in the early 1940s. He also developed the first eight-track tape recorder and enjoyed success as a chart-topping recording artist.

Paul became a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer in 1988, enshrined in the early influence category. He is the subject of a permanent exhibit at the museum.

http://www.cleveland.com/music/index.ssf/2008/10/slash_richie_sambora_billy_gib.html

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 02:16:29 PM »

Thanks Funkey!!!! This will be awesome!!!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 12:31:23 PM »

Slash Tips His Hat to Les Paul

Oct 27th 2008

As folks decide to dress up as Slash for Halloween this year, no doubt the two most essential accoutrements for the outfit will be a top hat and a Les Paul guitar. For the real Slash, the top hat may have come and gone but the Les Paul will never change. "I've picked up a couple stragglers over the years leading up to when I was in Guns N' Roses," Slash tells Spinner. "But I always kept gravitating to the Les Paul. If I could get one and hold onto it for any length of time, I was good."

Eventually Slash would become just as much a poster child for that Gibson-made guitar brand as his hero Jimmy Page. In fact, the guitar company has long been manufacturing Slash's own signature line of the guitar. Of course, none of it would've happened had it not been for Les Paul himself, the 93-year-old guitar wizard who not only invented the solid body electric guitar, but also much of the technology still used to record it: multi-track recording, tape-delay, reverb, etc.

"But aside from all of that, Les is just this really amazing guy with a fantastic fuckin' mind," says Slash. The two guitarists met in 1991 for a live jam session and they've jammed together many times since. "Because he plays primarily jazz and old standards and stuff, I was way out of my element," Slash recalls of their first jam. "I always use playing with him as a barometer to see where my skill set is at that point."

Don't worry, you're doing just fine, buddy. Slash performs a track on the recently released disc 'Les Paul and Friends -- A Tribute to a Legend,' in such company as Joe Perry (Aerosmith), Richie Sambora (Bon Jovi), Edgar Winter, Peter Frampton and others. For his track, 'Vocalize,' (an instrumental tune, obviously) Slash poses as a linear jazz fusionist. The barometer reading? High.

Complimenting this, on November 15 he'll show up in Cleveland, OH for a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame tribute to Les Paul. "There's not really much I can tell you about the concert itself," Slash says, "because no one has informed me of anything that's going on. I just know that I'm going down there; I'm just going to bring a guitar. That's basically it."

http://www.spinner.com/2008/10/27/slash-tips-his-hat-to-les-paul/

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 01:07:28 PM »

I hope he plays vocalise!
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 08:01:31 PM »

damnit! i hEard this song like 3 weeks ago! why couldn't i have been the one to start a thread about it  Sad i just figured everyone knew already
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 05:13:47 PM »

damnit! i hEard this song like 3 weeks ago! why couldn't i have been the one to start a thread about it  Sad i just figured everyone knew already

thread was started over a month ago ok
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 02:32:38 AM »

Wink

Guitar stars pay tribute to Les Paul in Cleveland concert

Sunday November 16, 2008

Slash put on a one-man guitar clinic, coaxing ecstatic squeals and passionate wails during the moody jam "Vocalise."

http://www.cleveland.com/music/index.ssf/2008/11/guitar_stars_pay_tribute_to_le.html

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 12:28:25 PM »

Wink

Guitar stars pay tribute to Les Paul in Cleveland concert

Sunday November 16, 2008

Slash put on a one-man guitar clinic, coaxing ecstatic squeals and passionate wails during the moody jam "Vocalise."

http://www.cleveland.com/music/index.ssf/2008/11/guitar_stars_pay_tribute_to_le.html

I found this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVIrl97vaCI
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: