Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 02:40:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Best Buy exclusive
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 134 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Buy exclusive  (Read 565092 times)
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #1300 on: October 14, 2008, 02:43:24 PM »

Another point is that Dr. Pepper's marketing campaign is "23 flavors" - maybe this has something to do with the release date of the 23rd.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
Jaakko
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1301 on: October 14, 2008, 02:46:09 PM »

Another point is that Dr. Pepper's marketing campaign is "23 flavors" - maybe this has something to do with the release date of the 23rd.

Perhaps Axl and Chief of Dr. Pepper's have seen Jim Carrey's movie Number 23 too many times  hihi
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #1302 on: October 14, 2008, 02:54:21 PM »

However, I wanted to buy it at the local record shop too...I'm trying to help them stay in business.   Undecided

You don't think they could go get it at Best Buy and then sell it themselves?

/jarmo

Reselling is against the law here. The only way they can pull it off is by opening them and selling them used... which would be a loss not a gain... lol.

"They don?t make ?em like Vince Neil or Tommy Lee anymore. And there sure hasn?t been another Axl Rose. " via MSNBC- 2008.

"Think For Yourself, Question Authority"

HUMOR = Negative Karma
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #1303 on: October 14, 2008, 02:55:56 PM »

Perhaps Axl and Chief of Dr. Pepper's have seen Jim Carrey's movie Number 23 too many times  hihi

seeing that movie once qualifies as too many times...

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #1304 on: October 14, 2008, 02:57:05 PM »

Easy for me to say (I have 3 Best Buys within 5 miles of my house), but I'm sure that the band wants the music to be available to EVERYONE and their plans will include EVERYONE in some degree (digital download, later-wider release, etc.)

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1305 on: October 14, 2008, 02:57:55 PM »

However, I wanted to buy it at the local record shop too...I'm trying to help them stay in business.   Undecided

/jarmo
Reselling is against the law here. The only way they can pull it off is by opening them and selling them used... which would be a loss not a gain... lol.

Oh right.

But importing from abroad and reselling would be ok?

I read that the small record stores plan on doing that for the AC/DC album...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1306 on: October 14, 2008, 03:05:32 PM »

/jarmo

Reselling is against the law?!?!?!   What country do you live in?

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #1307 on: October 14, 2008, 03:07:46 PM »

/jarmo

Oh right.

/jarmo

Hey I'm not pro-Best Buy and screw the little guy... I'm just saying how it is. Same thing as Ticketmaster... you can't buy a $20 concert ticket and sell it for $100, it's called ticket-scalping and it's a misdemeanor offense in the US. If Best Buy has the rights to sell the album alone... then they have the rights to sue the small store which will lose. About overseas... I don't know. Will Best Buy spend the money on litigation? Probably not, but they can.

"They don?t make ?em like Vince Neil or Tommy Lee anymore. And there sure hasn?t been another Axl Rose. " via MSNBC- 2008.

HUMOR = Negative Karma
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #1308 on: October 14, 2008, 03:09:53 PM »

ticketmaster offers a resale service where you end up paying over the face value.

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #1309 on: October 14, 2008, 03:10:45 PM »

/jarmo

I'm actually a second yr law student... I can find precedence about this if you give me time. Once a company has sole rights to distribute, than there is no reselling allowed. That would just refute the point of the exclusive. The only thing that would permit it, is if the exclusivity is only for a pre-determined amount of time. I.E. BEST BUY releases it in 2008, FYE and other stores pick it up in 2009 based on initial success.

HUMOR = Negative Karma
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #1310 on: October 14, 2008, 03:13:16 PM »

ticketmaster offers a resale service where you end up paying over the face value.

yeah... it's called auctions. like when TOOL goes on tour. You end up paying like $600 a ticket... but that is perfectly permissible... it's value placed on an object/service a consumer is willing to pay.

It's like a buying a car with "Adjusted Market Value"... I.E. the 2007-2008 Mustang Shelby GT500. It's a $40k car on sticker, but that doesn't deter people from paying $15k-30k over, just because the dealership wants to get more money.

HUMOR = Negative Karma
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #1311 on: October 14, 2008, 03:18:16 PM »

Hey I'm not pro-Best Buy and screw the little guy... I'm just saying how it is. Same thing as Ticketmaster... you can't buy a $20 concert ticket and sell it for $100, it's called ticket-scalping and it's a misdemeanor offense in the US. If Best Buy has the rights to sell the album alone... then they have the rights to sue the small store which will lose. About overseas... I don't know. Will Best Buy spend the money on litigation? Probably not, but they can.

I hope every single indie store resells the album for however much they want...why?  because they have to BUY the thing at Best Buy first!  If indie stores are buying up bulks of "Democracy" from Best Buy i seriously doubt Best buy, the record label or Guns N Roses are going to complain about it...they are effectively helping to distribute the record even more....all the while PAYING Best Buy for it....I'm sure a good portion of the 750,000 Eagles records that were sold the first week  actually went to indie record stores...  I remember seeing that thing in my local record store the day after it came out...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 03:27:49 PM by Shadows7XXX » Logged
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #1312 on: October 14, 2008, 03:24:41 PM »

If you buy a CD from Best Buy, you are the new OWNER of such material. And if you want sell it for more or less thats your right and legal.  Otherwise if Best Buy owned all rights to it, you would be basically leasing the cd from them.  They might have the exclusive distribution rights, but once an owner gets it there rights are done as it has been distributed. If best Buy wants to deter people from doing that, they would put a limit up like 5 on the albumn.

There is no way a 2nd degree Law Student could think Best Buy could sue anyone for buying a cd from them and reselling it,

Also you can buy a $20 ticket to an event and sell it for $100, its US State laws that determine that, if you are in Ohio USA and the event is in Michigan USA you can sell the ticket for whatever you want as you are not in michigan. Check Ebay they will tell you all the resale values.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #1313 on: October 14, 2008, 03:30:16 PM »

^^ I'm in FL, the only state that concerns me.

HUMOR = Negative Karma
mnsotapop
Rocker

Wake up, its time to dieeeeeee

« Reply #1314 on: October 14, 2008, 03:36:57 PM »

/jarmo

Oh right.

/jarmo

you can't buy a $20 concert ticket and sell it for $100, it's called ticket-scalping and it's a misdemeanor offense in the US.

Actually ticket "scalping" is legal in the U.S., depending on what state you live in. 

Alpine Valley, WI 5/91
Target Center, Mpls MN 1/92
Metrodome w/ Metallica, Mpls MN 9/92
Fargo Dome, Fargo ND 3/21/93
Target Center, the "Buckethead" tour
Target Center 11/13/11
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1315 on: October 14, 2008, 03:53:43 PM »

/jarmo

I'm actually a second yr law student... I can find precedence about this if you give me time. Once a company has sole rights to distribute, than there is no reselling allowed. That would just refute the point of the exclusive. The only thing that would permit it, is if the exclusivity is only for a pre-determined amount of time. I.E. BEST BUY releases it in 2008, FYE and other stores pick it up in 2009 based on initial success.

Right - there would be select scenarios where reselling could be controlled, but it's a bit of a stretch to make a statement that:

"Reselling is illegal".   

When reselling through retail is actually the norm, not the exception.  And just because a company has sole distribution rights does not explicitly prohibit resale either, it would have to be written into the contract. 

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1316 on: October 14, 2008, 04:15:06 PM »

/jarmo

Oh right.

/jarmo

I would think that's possible.  Many record stores have an import section.  Unless there is a law concerning Best Buy exclusivity.  Between leaks and exclusives, we're learning more about law here than we had ever bargained for.  hihi

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Shackler
Headliner

« Reply #1317 on: October 14, 2008, 04:44:59 PM »

Lunsjail, yea throuhout this tirade, Ive learned, usually all videogames leak b4 release, law like u said, and that the reason BH is called BH is cuz he wears a bucket on his head!

Amoung other things......

Like the tides done on the ocean, the waves already set in motion, the only one in this game that's lost is you!!!
damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1318 on: October 14, 2008, 04:52:12 PM »

I know there is a thread about the Best Buy Exclusive, but it is sooo long and overshadowed by all the excitement of people getting the record.  I wanted to make a different thread and ask "what the positives of a Best Buy Exclusive are"?  And why GNR might do it? 

I got into a little argument last night with my buddy and he was saying that the bands who are on "top" right now, don't do exclusives!  I beg to differ as I think it's the new, modern marketing plan.

What do you guys think?

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1319 on: October 14, 2008, 04:57:09 PM »

Sorry, I merged your thread here because I think many of the points have been brought up already. Smiley

I think the record company is happy because they are usually guaranteed a certain number of sold copies.

The retailer has something nobody else in the country has. That's gotta be positive for them!

The band gets a lot of publicity.

Everybody has heard about this even though it hasn't even been announced officially.

Exclusives is how it's done today. If it's not an exclusive release at only one retailer, it might be a special iTunes only bonus track or a special packaging for Amazon etc etc.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 134 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: