Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:21:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Best Buy exclusive
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 134 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Buy exclusive  (Read 595822 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1040 on: October 11, 2008, 09:02:55 PM »

Once again, I think the record label unfairly blame downloaders and not themselves for

1.Putting out shitty music
2.releasing songs as "Singles" to Itunes.

Metallica,Lil Wayne and Kid Rock have all proven that people will still go and buy whole albums if the music is good.

Lil Wayne sold 1 million his first week. Damn Internet Downloaders.

Metallica have moved over a million in 3 weeks.

Kid Rock didnt allow his songs to be sold on Itunes etc as singles and his album with the release of All Summer Long went from a flop and dead to being in the top 5 for 6 weeks and the album selling 500k copies just from that one single.

Hell, Nickelback's last album sold 6 million copies.

All u have to do is watch the VMA's or turn on the radio or just play the Billboard top 10 and u will see why music doesn't sell anymore.

Not saying DL's don't affect it some, but its mainly due to music royally fucking sucking.

CD, I predict will move at least 500k first week, but a lot truly depends on marketing, single.

I also am probably in the minority but I don't think If The World or Shackler's is the first single

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
xj220
Headliner

TWAT=goodness

« Reply #1041 on: October 11, 2008, 09:07:50 PM »

I think one of the biggest things to hurt the band is that it isn't the original line up.  Nearly everyone I talk to about Chinese Democracy or GNR in general say something to that effect.  It isn't until I "show them the light" that they realize the new line up is just as good.  I like Shackler's Revenge and If the World is ok, but I think they need to get either Better, TWAT or Catcher in the Rye out there.  Those songs, to me, are some of the best songs I have ever heard from any band.  Release those as singles on the radio and people will be all over CD and GNR.

"Face it, if crime did not pay there would be very few criminals." -Laughton Lewis Burdock
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1042 on: October 11, 2008, 09:10:15 PM »

The only thing I could see possibly hurting GNR is, the fact its 2008 and GNR have never been a radio friendly "Singles" band.

no single of theirs except maybe "Don't Cry" is something you would call a conventional single.

so do they have a song that is capable of capturing the masses?

Better is great but Im not sure that it fits the radio format with its length/style etc.

Ak1nney
Rocker

« Reply #1043 on: October 11, 2008, 09:24:04 PM »

Here's what I say... If CD is actually really great... It will sell. End of story.
slash666
On The Edge Of Seventeen
Legend

The REAL Champ Is Here!

« Reply #1044 on: October 11, 2008, 09:28:18 PM »

The only thing I could see possibly hurting GNR is, the fact its 2008 and GNR have never been a radio friendly "Singles" band.

no single of theirs except maybe "Don't Cry" is something you would call a conventional single.

Better is great but Im not sure that it fits the radio format with its length/style etc.

I don't think length or style really come into it when you look at Metallica's 'the Day that Never Comes' its something like 7mins, gets alot of plays and any new Guns song is as conventional as that. Main point being, when theres hype around something the more chance it has being played and I don't think anyone will disagree CD isn't hyped enough as it is, so I see no reason why it couldn't be a commercial success on radio.

The Squared Circle

Join The Revolution!
Ak1nney
Rocker

« Reply #1045 on: October 11, 2008, 09:32:43 PM »

I agree
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1046 on: October 11, 2008, 09:33:06 PM »

I don't think length or style really come into it when you look at Metallica's 'the Day that Never Comes' its something like 7mins, gets alot of plays and any new Guns song is as conventional as that. Main point being, when theres hype around something the more chance it has being played and I don't think anyone will disagree CD isn't hyped enough as it is, so I see no reason why it couldn't be a commercial success on radio.

Good point, it will play on rock radio but I was talking more about the big top 100 chart.

also Best Buy probably will sell some of their shipment to other record stores possibly.

I think, from what I understand, they buy an agreed upon number and they can pretty much do whatever they want with them. So if they want to seel 1 million to other record chains, they can.

HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #1047 on: October 11, 2008, 10:11:47 PM »

Am I mistaken, or didn't they say that exclusive albums aren't counted on the Billboard charts? I coulda swore I read that when The Eagles put their album out. Hmm...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #1048 on: October 11, 2008, 11:03:19 PM »

Paradise City, Sweetchild, Patience, Wttj, Dont Cry, Live and Let Die, Yesterdays, NR, ... werent comercial hit singles? Even Since I dont have you made top 40. Lets not forgetr UCBM.

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1049 on: October 11, 2008, 11:42:54 PM »

Paradise City, Sweetchild, Patience, Wttj, Dont Cry, Live and Let Die, Yesterdays, NR, ... werent comercial hit singles? Even Since I dont have you made top 40. Lets not forgetr UCBM.

U misunderstood what I was saying

GNR have had commercial hits of course, but look at the songs that were, none fit the music that was out at the time. Nowadays its even harder to get played on radio because its not DJ's playing what they think is great, its all computerized based on all sorts of different shit.

WTTJ also wasn't a top 100 hit, Yesterdays wasn't a big hit either

NR was damn near 10 minutes long which is in no way shape or form Conventional single

by conventional single, I mean the nice polished 3 and a half minute sing a long anthem type song.

SCOM is over 5 minutes and nothing like the 'ballads' being played at the time

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1050 on: October 11, 2008, 11:44:38 PM »

I'm just happy for you D that all those other artists you keep praising in other sections of the board have all the hits that occupy the charts and airwaves.  ok

hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1051 on: October 11, 2008, 11:47:01 PM »

GNR have had commercial hits of course, but look at the songs that were, none fit the music that was out at the time. Nowadays its even harder to get played on radio because its not DJ's playing what they think is great, its all computerized based on all sorts of different shit.

NR was damn near 10 minutes long which is in no way shape or form Conventional single

by conventional single, I mean the nice polished 3 and a half minute sing a long anthem type song.

Sweet Child O Mine was like the number 1 video for that whole summer. Holy crap GNR have had MANY hit songs.. I can't believe this argument.

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1052 on: October 11, 2008, 11:50:15 PM »

Sweet Child O Mine was like the number 1 video for that whole summer. Holy crap GNR have had MANY hit songs.. I can't believe this argument.

You're arguing with D.

I don't know if he's for real. It seems all the other bands he likes are so amazing, but when it comes to GN'R, he likes to point out things like this.

Post after post.

Now he's hijacked this thread about the Best Buy deal to be about how GN'R lacks hits, while he posts about how amazing Scott Weiland's 30 second clips are in Bad Obsession.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1053 on: October 11, 2008, 11:50:47 PM »

I'm just happy for you D that all those other artists you keep praising in other sections of the board have all the hits that occupy the charts and airwaves.  ok

hihi

/jarmo

Let me clarify some more

Bon Jovi for instance are a conventional singles band. They make songs with the sole intent of radio/hits etc.  4 minutes, nicely polished, easy lyrics, big hooks etc.

GNR don't. They make what they make, if its a hit great, if not, its still a great song but Axl doesn't strike me as the type that sits down to craft easy listening radio friendly songs.

Thats actually a good thing and a compliment.

Think back when SCOM came out. what was big on the radio back then? SCOM/NR are so different

thats all Im saying.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 11:52:29 PM by D » Logged

jazjme
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #1054 on: October 11, 2008, 11:51:48 PM »

This is true, but, who woulda thought then , they would get to the status they are now. at your own words ..
none fit the music that was out at the time.

Im thinking , and always felt that GNR can again break that barrier again! Smiley

11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1055 on: October 11, 2008, 11:53:05 PM »

hihi

/jarmo

Let me clarify some more

Bon Jovi for instance are a conventional singles band. They make songs with the sole intent of radio/hits etc.  4 minutes, nicely polished, easy lyrics, big hooks etc.

GNR don't. They make what they make, if its a hit great, if not, its still a great song but Axl doesn't strike me as the type that sits down to craft easy listening radio friendly songs.

Thats actually a good thing and a compliment.

Think back when SCOM came out. what was big on the radio back then? SCOM/NR are so different

thats all Im saying.

kk I understand now. And that's true.

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1056 on: October 11, 2008, 11:54:01 PM »

Of course they can break the barrier again, Im not saying they suck or don't have great songs, Estranged is my favorite song ever but its definitely doesn't fit any radio format.

definite miscommunication going on in this thread.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1057 on: October 11, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »

GN'R makes their OWN formats.

ok
jazjme
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #1058 on: October 11, 2008, 11:58:04 PM »

Well it all comes down to peoples attentions spans, I think people could be ready for some more deep tunes, that give them a emotional journey so to speak. And maybe people are more attune to listening,. HEy we all know the world ins in a crisis right now, I don't think pop music, solves that,. I think that lyrically thoughtful, musically sonic, and driven, does, jmo. Wink

edit: I should add, that its a better outlet, look back to when GNR first broke and compare the times, werent so dissimilar.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 12:00:20 AM by jazjme » Logged

11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1059 on: October 12, 2008, 12:02:05 AM »

Oh the people will love them but radio is skewered towards all thsi gay Pop/Rap shit that they may not play it cause GNR aren't necessarily format friendly.

Yes, once again, thats a great thing. Means they original.

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 134 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: