Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:24:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Best Buy exclusive
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 134 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Buy exclusive  (Read 595882 times)
ben9785
« Reply #560 on: October 07, 2008, 07:47:39 PM »

There's no need to worry about what other albums are coming out on that day. Believe me, GNR will get major attention.

And like overmatik said, they don't need to do any huge promotion or marketing too far ahead since there is already a deal with a major retailer who is going to be distributing the album, so they don't really need to "sell it" to the public. Rather, they just need to make people aware that it is coming, and that can certainly be done much closer to the date.

I'm sure lots of people are aware of CD but without proper marketing they will not buy it. This album is considered the biggest joke in the history of the music business. lol. would you spend 16 bucks for that, if you were not a die hard fan of the band. 1 song on a videogame and a song during the credits of a movie mean zero to the casual listener. you need magazine covers with articles and interviews with band members. you need to be publicizing your band on tv and radio shows, like howard stern and opie and anthony. mtv, youtube,myspace. it's called viral marketing. that's what kanye is doing. did you notice we all know when his cd is coming out. 

I understand that. That was what I was referring to in terms of 'making people aware that it is coming', that would be in the form of press, articles, interviews with the band members etc, as you said, to talk about the album, who is in the band, the process of creating it and so on.

And I have to be honest and say that I wasn't aware Kanye west had a album coming out either until I read it on GNR forums.

No i don't expect Kanye West fans to be talking about gnr on their forums because it is a different audience and demographic for the most part
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #561 on: October 07, 2008, 07:48:19 PM »

There's no need to worry about what other albums are coming out on that day. Believe me, GNR will get major attention.

And like overmatik said, they don't need to do any huge promotion or marketing too far ahead since there is already a deal with a major retailer who is going to be distributing the album, so they don't really need to "sell it" to the public. Rather, they just need to make people aware that it is coming, and that can certainly be done much closer to the date.

I'm sure lots of people are aware of CD but without proper marketing they will not buy it. This album is considered the biggest joke in the history of the music business. lol. would you spend 16 bucks for that, if you were not a die hard fan of the band. 1 song on a vid

eogame and a song during the credits of a movie mean zero to the casual listener. you need magazine covers with articles and interviews with band members. you need to be publicizing your band on tv and radio shows, like howard stern and opie and anthony. mtv, youtube,myspace. it's called viral marketing. that's what kanye is doing. did you notice we all know when his cd is coming out. 

I actually didnt know his cd was coming out until i read it on here.

thats the point. are people on kanye west forums talking about the new gnr cd. NO. why because the majority of people have'nt heard anything from them.

Well what im sayin is that for all the promotion Kanye is doing, I still didnt hear about it until i read it on here. I shouldnt have to be finding out about it on a GN'R forum if he's doin such a good job.
patcooper
VIP

« Reply #562 on: October 07, 2008, 07:50:52 PM »

I'm sure lots of people are aware of CD but without proper marketing they will not buy it. This album is considered the biggest joke in the history of the music business. lol. would you spend 16 bucks for that, if you were not a die hard fan of the band. 1 song on a videogame and a song during the credits of a movie mean zero to the casual listener. you need magazine covers with articles and interviews with band members. you need to be publicizing your band on tv and radio shows, like howard stern and opie and anthony. mtv, youtube,myspace. it's called viral marketing. that's what kanye is doing. did you notice we all know when his cd is coming out. 

I understand that. That was what I was referring to in terms of 'making people aware that it is coming', that would be in the form of press, articles, interviews with the band members etc, as you said, to talk about the album, who is in the band, the process of creating it and so on.

And I have to be honest and say that I wasn't aware Kanye west had a album coming out either until I read it on GNR forums.

No i don't expect Kanye West fans to be talking about gnr on their forums because it is a different audience and demographic for the most part

If it's a differnt demo then why on every gnr forum there is a kanye west thread? Everyone here knows who he is. everyone knows his music. and everyone now knows his release date. But the majority of america has no clue about gnr, about the new songs and who the hell is even in the band.
patcooper
VIP

« Reply #563 on: October 07, 2008, 07:53:07 PM »

I'm sure lots of people are aware of CD but without proper marketing they will not buy it. This album is considered the biggest joke in the history of the music business. lol. would you spend 16 bucks for that, if you were not a die hard fan of the band. 1 song on a vid

eogame and a song during the credits of a movie mean zero to the casual listener. you need magazine covers with articles and interviews with band members. you need to be publicizing your band on tv and radio shows, like howard stern and opie and anthony. mtv, youtube,myspace. it's called viral marketing. that's what kanye is doing. did you notice we all know when his cd is coming out. 

thats the point. are people on kanye west forums talking about the new gnr cd. NO. why because the majority of people have'nt heard anything from them.

Well what im sayin is that for all the promotion Kanye is doing, I still didnt hear about it until i read it on here. I shouldnt have to be finding out about it on a GN'R forum if he's doin such a good job.

i hate to tell you this but he just said 2 days ago on myspace that he was pushing the release date up a month. thats was his big promotion.
ben9785
« Reply #564 on: October 07, 2008, 08:01:55 PM »

If it's a differnt demo then why on every gnr forum there is a kanye west thread? Everyone here knows who he is. everyone knows his music. and everyone now knows his release date. But the majority of america has no clue about gnr, about the new songs and who the hell is even in the band.

People are bringing him up because he pushed his album out, and are wondering how it will challenge GNR's music sales if it were to come out on the same day. Likewise with other acts who people have found out could be releasing new music on that day, such as 50 cent. That's all it is, considering the kind of sales GNR could get alongside other higher profile acts such as these proposed to be releasing new music on that day. I don't think anyone was going out of their way to promote Kanye West's new album for GNR fans
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #565 on: October 07, 2008, 08:03:06 PM »

i hate to tell you this but he just said 2 days ago on myspace that he was pushing the release date up a month. thats was his big promotion.

im on myspace pretty much everyday. still didnt see it. maybe i just dont care, so i didnt notice haha.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #566 on: October 07, 2008, 08:08:48 PM »

You are making blanket statements and baseless assumptions.  There are a lot of people in their mid-twenties and older who don't know or care about Kanye West's music, and plenty of people who only know about him for throwing a temper tantrum when he didn't win at the VMA's.  These same people all know Axl and all know GnR.  Kanye West is a more public figure at this point because he loves the attention and loves to hear himself talk.  Axl has flown below the radar by his own choice for many years.  Once he starts talking again people will listen

You think if GnR put "Chinese Democracy in stores 11/25/08, exclusively at Best Buy" on the official site that it wouldn't be all over the music media and news sites?

Once an announcement is made and Axl actually starts talking about the record the exposure and publicity will be huge.  
divoz
Opening Act

« Reply #567 on: October 07, 2008, 08:27:52 PM »

i agree with the statement, i dont listen to rap, but if you don't know who kanye west is, then your just plain out of the music scene.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #568 on: October 07, 2008, 08:29:19 PM »

Yep.  Because when I go in to buy Chi Dem, and I see that JayZ disc there too, I'll be in a real quandary. 

That's not where the issue lies, the problem is that CD will be competing with these other albums in terms of music magazine coverage, news attention etc.

I don't think that's gonna be much of an issue.

In fact, I think the worry would come from the OTHER artists.  Let's face it, CD is almost mythical in stature amongst the music industry.  It's release is more likely the "headline stealer" and not vice versa.

I agree...I anticipate a Rolling Stone cover for GNR because of RS interest in this record over the past decade....As far as promotion and coverage GNR should win that hands down...the record has certainly reached mythical status....i will be honest that a Kayne West or Jay Z release could make a run at that top spot on the billboard chart...but who really cares about that anyway?  Will a number 1 debut be nice? sure ...it would also shut up alot of critics, or even more importantly not let them harp on how the record DIDNT hit number 1, but at the end of the day the music will speak for itself...If i were another artist I know I wouldnt want to put a record out on the same day as GNR...
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #569 on: October 07, 2008, 08:31:32 PM »

someone mentioned "Talking metal" before...blabbermouth.net just put this up... it says Robin Finck departed GNR, but I wouldnt read to much into that...im sure they did not verify that...

Countdown To GUNS N' ROSES' 'Chinese Democracy': New Podcast Available - Oct. 7, 2008 

"Talking Metal" has posted its latest podcast/episode in which hosts Mark Strigl and John Ostronomy resume their countdown to one of the world's most-anticipated albums, GUNS N' ROSES' "Chinese Democracy". Download the podcast at this location.  http://www.captaint.com/talkingmetal/talkingmetaleps231.mp3

"Chinese Democracy" is tentatively set for release on November 25 exclusively through Best Buy, according to RollingStone.com. The unconfirmed report came from a "vendor convention" held by Best Buy last month in Dallas, where GUNS manager Andy Gould reportedly told 900 Best Buy employees the news before previewing three songs. Cellphone recordings of the event later surfaced on GUNS N' ROSES fan message boards.

Gould also told the crowd that a new GN'R song called "If The World" will play under the closing credits of "Body of Lies", the new film starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe due out on October 10. That news was confirmed online at film web sites whose representatives had attended a press screening of the flick. "If The World" will not appear on the film's soundtrack album.

"If The World" features the guitar work of Robin Finck and Buckethead, who have both since departed GUNS N' ROSES.

Another new GN'R song, called "Shackler's Revenge", appears on the Rock Band 2 video game.

There has been no official confirmation of the new GUNS album's release date or Best Buy deal, although Billboard.com has also reported that the latter is nearly finalized.

"Chinese Democracy" has been more than 13 years in the making, with every original member of GUNS N' ROSES except for frontman Axl Rose long since gone from the lineup. 

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 08:34:53 PM by Shadows7XXX » Logged
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #570 on: October 07, 2008, 08:55:56 PM »

Are you reading hip-hop magazines, where most likely, where anyone that does would about it know?  i have no idea about his promotion but there hasn't realy been any interviews with Axl since the radio interview he did with Eddie Trunk or the MTV interview with Kurt Loder..........other than crytic comments like in 2006 that"you'll hear music this year"
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 09:02:15 PM by classicgunsfan » Logged
nekomex
Rocker

« Reply #571 on: October 08, 2008, 12:41:44 AM »

someone mentioned "Talking metal" before...blabbermouth.net just put this up... it says Robin Finck departed GNR, but I wouldnt read to much into that...im sure they did not verify that...

Countdown To GUNS N' ROSES' 'Chinese Democracy': New Podcast Available - Oct. 7, 2008 

"Talking Metal" has posted its latest podcast/episode in which hosts Mark Strigl and John Ostronomy resume their countdown to one of the world's most-anticipated albums, GUNS N' ROSES' "Chinese Democracy". Download the podcast at this location.  http://www.captaint.com/talkingmetal/talkingmetaleps231.mp3

"Chinese Democracy" is tentatively set for release on November 25 exclusively through Best Buy, according to RollingStone.com. The unconfirmed report came from a "vendor convention" held by Best Buy last month in Dallas, where GUNS manager Andy Gould reportedly told 900 Best Buy employees the news before previewing three songs. Cellphone recordings of the event later surfaced on GUNS N' ROSES fan message boards.

Gould also told the crowd that a new GN'R song called "If The World" will play under the closing credits of "Body of Lies", the new film starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe due out on October 10. That news was confirmed online at film web sites whose representatives had attended a press screening of the flick. "If The World" will not appear on the film's soundtrack album.

"If The World" features the guitar work of Robin Finck and Buckethead, who have both since departed GUNS N' ROSES.

Another new GN'R song, called "Shackler's Revenge", appears on the Rock Band 2 video game.

There has been no official confirmation of the new GUNS album's release date or Best Buy deal, although Billboard.com has also reported that the latter is nearly finalized.

"Chinese Democracy" has been more than 13 years in the making, with every original member of GUNS N' ROSES except for frontman Axl Rose long since gone from the lineup. 

cellphone recordings of the meeting? has anyone seen the video?
Lucs
Almost Belgian
Rocker

IT FINALLY WORKED !!!

« Reply #572 on: October 08, 2008, 03:19:25 AM »

These are only audio recordings in a REALLY REALLY poor quality. It's really not worth trying to find them Tongue

kollemann
Rocker

Chinese Democracy is now!!!!!

« Reply #573 on: October 08, 2008, 03:33:39 AM »

http://www.chinesedemocracy.com/forum/guns_n_roses_news/appetite_for_destruction_limited_edition-t38287.0.html

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=17394384&st=appetite+for+destruction&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1923106

http://www.myspace.com/kollemann = german GNR support

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=100000610764106
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #574 on: October 08, 2008, 05:07:08 AM »

One week before CD how interesting assuming that ends up being the actual date.
nightrain_jh
Rocker

« Reply #575 on: October 08, 2008, 05:29:40 AM »

Well, play.com here in the UK are getting in on the act.  However, they are giving the 24th November as the release date as Mondays are when album are released here.  Would that really happen?

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/1125209/Chinese-Democracy/Product.html

Don't Damn Me!!
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #576 on: October 08, 2008, 05:39:38 AM »

Well, play.com here in the UK are getting in on the act.  However, they are giving the 24th November as the release date as Mondays are when album are released here.  Would that really happen?

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/1125209/Chinese-Democracy/Product.html

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't Best Buy isn't going to have worldwide rights.

That said, I think they are making assumptions at this point.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #577 on: October 08, 2008, 06:53:52 AM »

Not sure how so many of you can hold onto this date at true - The band hasn't even commented on the date as being the one, so that leaves us.....guessing still
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #578 on: October 08, 2008, 07:12:47 AM »

Not sure how so many of you can hold onto this date at true - The band hasn't even commented on the date as being the one, so that leaves us.....guessing still

Well one way or another we'll find out soon. If that is the date its gotta be announced by the band or label i'd say in the next week or so.
patcooper
VIP

« Reply #579 on: October 08, 2008, 07:13:17 AM »

Thats my point. With 7 weeks left no one has even made a statement about bestbuy having the exclusive deal to the public. Still no single, still no release date. Other artists all mentioned in this thread have made those things clear and gnr has not.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 134 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: