Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 09:35:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Best Buy exclusive
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 134 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Buy exclusive  (Read 596065 times)
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #540 on: October 07, 2008, 02:04:50 PM »

If Metal Hammer picks JayZ over Axl Rose for their cover shot, I'll be cancelling my subscription.

Sure there might be some overlap in the more generic media, but that's unavoidable.   Suggesting that GNR release Chi Dem during a time when there are NO other releases, even those in a different stream of music, is offensive to GNR in my opinion.

(Homer speaking) Wait a minute... WAIT A MINUTE!

Guns N' Roses is hard rock, not metal.

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
patcooper
VIP

« Reply #541 on: October 07, 2008, 02:49:26 PM »

Jay-Z, Ludacris, Akon and 50-Cent? Are you guys serious? Nothing short of the second coming of Jesus Christ would be enough to steal CD's thunder and you guys are worrying about these clowns. DON'T! 

the point is all of these artists are current. gnr has not released anything over a decade.and eveyone listed above will outsell CD the first week. If CD debuts on billboards top 100 at 10 that looks like a failure to the public.
stvyrayvhn
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #542 on: October 07, 2008, 03:05:12 PM »

Jay-Z, Ludacris, Akon and 50-Cent? Are you guys serious? Nothing short of the second coming of Jesus Christ would be enough to steal CD's thunder and you guys are worrying about these clowns. DON'T! 

the point is all of these artists are current. gnr has not released anything over a decade.and eveyone listed above will outsell CD the first week. If CD debuts on billboards top 100 at 10 that looks like a failure to the public.

At least I will finally have Chinese Democracy. 
sofine11
Banned
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #543 on: October 07, 2008, 03:51:13 PM »

Any news yet today?
justme
Opening Act

Keep on rollin'

« Reply #544 on: October 07, 2008, 03:52:13 PM »

no.
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #545 on: October 07, 2008, 03:53:52 PM »

The important thing is, while there are a few other big names releasing music that day, only one of them is a Best Buy exclusive. So when someone walks into Best Buy, CD is going to be predominantly featured, and also receive a ton of shelf space. Based on Best Buy's past exclusives, CD should get its very own display within 15 feet of the entrance, and on Black Friday that week, that kind of placement is going to be a big deal.

The other albums, while big names, aren't going to get that kind of treatment at Best Buy.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
badobsession81
Rocker

Forgive them that tear down your soul

« Reply #546 on: October 07, 2008, 04:43:42 PM »

anyone else wondering where this announcement is? :-S

Back In Power
patcooper
VIP

« Reply #547 on: October 07, 2008, 04:49:42 PM »

The important thing is, while there are a few other big names releasing music that day, only one of them is a Best Buy exclusive. So when someone walks into Best Buy, CD is going to be predominantly featured, and also receive a ton of shelf space. Based on Best Buy's past exclusives, CD should get its very own display within 15 feet of the entrance, and on Black Friday that week, that kind of placement is going to be a big deal.

The other albums, while big names, aren't going to get that kind of treatment at Best Buy.

Oh yeah i kinda think Kanye West will be right next gnr on the shelf. Best Buy doesn't care which cd is bought just that you are spending your money there. Plus the majority of people who walk into best buy don't even know who is is the band guns n roses these days. 7 weeks left kanye annouced album release date, and has a single. gnr NOTHING.
sky dog
Legend

« Reply #548 on: October 07, 2008, 05:03:21 PM »

They just released a track in a video game and a second track from the album is coming in a movie Friday. For fuck's sake.

Just one more mornin', I had to wake up with the blues...
axl32rose
Rocker

Heading to 3 GNR Shows in 2010.

« Reply #549 on: October 07, 2008, 05:12:28 PM »

It doesnt matter how many songs they release or what game or movie has a new GNR song in it,  We still need an official announcment confirming the release date of CD. 

As the minutes turn into hours and the hours turn into days and the days turn into weeks and so on and so fourth, Every day that goes by without an announcement really makes you think "What the fuck is Going on"

Does anyone beside me feel this way?    nervous
gav
« Reply #550 on: October 07, 2008, 05:19:27 PM »

I feel really positive about all the recent events, namely Shacklers, ITW in Body of Lies, the 'unofficial' Best Buy exclusive.

But what makes me most excited that the album is coming soon (no sarcasm intended) is that Jarmo and HTGTH has participated in distributing cans of Dr Pepper to certain fans.

Again, don't take this the wrong way, this really suggests things are going to happen! beer
overmatik
« Reply #551 on: October 07, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »

It doesnt matter how many songs they release or what game or movie has a new GNR song in it,  We still need an official announcment confirming the release date of CD. 

As the minutes turn into hours and the hours turn into days and the days turn into weeks and so on and so fourth, Every day that goes by without an announcement really makes you think "What the fuck is Going on"

Does anyone beside me feel this way?    nervous

No, don't worry, there's still plenty of time! As I said before, what takes time is to coordenate different chains of retailers, but if everything will be handled only by Best Buy, they can easily let the announce to the end of this month... smoking
ben9785
« Reply #552 on: October 07, 2008, 06:16:26 PM »

There's no need to worry about what other albums are coming out on that day. Believe me, GNR will get major attention.

And like overmatik said, they don't need to do any huge promotion or marketing too far ahead since there is already a deal with a major retailer who is going to be distributing the album, so they don't really need to "sell it" to the public. Rather, they just need to make people aware that it is coming, and that can certainly be done much closer to the date.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #553 on: October 07, 2008, 07:31:53 PM »

What I think people are missing out on is that the whole purpose of an exclusive deal is not to maximize record sales but to maximize profits.  Locking up an exclusive deal with someone like Best Buy will get them a lot of guaranteed money and free promotion.  I suggest that everyone read this article

http://adage.com/entertainmentmarketers08/article?article_id=127077

And I would like to highlight his line in particular: "Even with a price point of $11.88, low for a double CD, the Eagles effort will earn more money from worldwide sales than any album in history, Mr. Azoff says, adding that the project will net the band $50 million, with 4 million units shipped in the U.S. and 8 million sold worldwide (distributed by Universal Music Group)."

Best Buy will be promoting the hell out of the album and they have more money to spend on promotion than any record label does.  This album will get more promotion and hype than any of the others mentioned.  The name "Guns N' Roses" and the mythical nature of the album will take care of the rest of the hype.

So if you think that GnR is going to be scared off by releases by musicians like Kanye West then you don't understand the record business.  They appeal to totally different demographics.  How many people are going to walk into Best Buy with $15 to spend, torn between whether they should buy the new Kanye West or the new GnR?  Not too many in the grand scheme of things.  Kanye West will sell a shitload of records, as will GnR, and there's not going to be a very large percentage of overlap.

I also think people are underestimating the amount of hype this album is going to get from the media and the general public once it becomes known that it is officially going to be released and is no longer imaginary in the minds of the public.
patcooper
VIP

« Reply #554 on: October 07, 2008, 07:32:09 PM »

There's no need to worry about what other albums are coming out on that day. Believe me, GNR will get major attention.

And like overmatik said, they don't need to do any huge promotion or marketing too far ahead since there is already a deal with a major retailer who is going to be distributing the album, so they don't really need to "sell it" to the public. Rather, they just need to make people aware that it is coming, and that can certainly be done much closer to the date.

I'm sure lots of people are aware of CD but without proper marketing they will not buy it. This album is considered the biggest joke in the history of the music business. lol. would you spend 16 bucks for that, if you were not a die hard fan of the band. 1 song on a videogame and a song during the credits of a movie mean zero to the casual listener. you need magazine covers with articles and interviews with band members. you need to be publicizing your band on tv and radio shows, like howard stern and opie and anthony. mtv, youtube,myspace. it's called viral marketing. that's what kanye is doing. did you notice we all know when his cd is coming out. 
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #555 on: October 07, 2008, 07:37:04 PM »

I guess like Slash, I get no Dr Pepper

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #556 on: October 07, 2008, 07:39:33 PM »

I'm sure lots of people are aware of CD but without proper marketing they will not buy it. This album is considered the biggest joke in the history of the music business. lol. would you spend 16 bucks for that, if you were not a die hard fan of the band. 1 song on a videogame and a song during the credits of a movie mean zero to the casual listener. you need magazine covers with articles and interviews with band members. you need to be publicizing your band on tv and radio shows, like howard stern and opie and anthony. mtv, youtube,myspace. it's called viral marketing. that's what kanye is doing. did you notice we all know when his cd is coming out. 

I actually didnt know his cd was coming out until i read it on here.
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #557 on: October 07, 2008, 07:41:28 PM »

Kanye Who? 

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #558 on: October 07, 2008, 07:42:45 PM »

I guess like Slash, I get no Dr Pepper
Why not D ?

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
patcooper
VIP

« Reply #559 on: October 07, 2008, 07:43:25 PM »

I actually didnt know his cd was coming out until i read it on here.

thats the point. are people on kanye west forums talking about the new gnr cd. NO. why because the majority of people have'nt heard anything from them.

i just saw this on google news.

Guns N' Roses leads list of hotly anticipated releases
Mike Devlin, Times Colonist
Published: Monday, October 06, 2008

We cry ourselves to sleep at night knowing music fans have pretty much stopped going to traditional record stores.

CD sales in the U.S. were down last week by a whopping 30 per cent from the same point last year.

The cavalry is on its way, as the year's ultra high-profile releases are slated for the coming months. We've already seen big releases by Radiohead, Coldplay, Metallica, Kid Rock and Lil Wayne put up big numbers, yet the best is still to come.
We suggest you save your pennies for these upcoming efforts. They might make a believer out of you yet.

1. Guns N' Roses, Chinese Democracy (Nov. 25). The biggest joke in recent history just might become a reality in the next few months. Expectations are high that the long-delayed recording from singer W. Axl Rose (and a bag of hammers operating under the GNR banner) will move serious units. That attitude will last a week if the music sucks, and the band's label will need to find other ways to recoup the reported $10-million price tag. In any event, Chinese Democracy is the year's biggest release, in terms of audience anticipation.

2. Britney Spears, Circus (Dec. 2). The pop queen turns 27 the day her sixth effort arrives in record stores, but she's already over-the-hill. Don't count her out, though. Ms. Trainwreck is poised to scale the mountain once more -- if she stays composed for long enough, that is. Should the stars align, she'll enjoy a pop renaissance far greater than those of recent returnees Backstreet Boys, New Kids on the Block, and Spice Girls combined.

3. Dr. Dre, Detox (December); Eminem, King Mathers (December). After lying in limbo for years, two of the year's most anticipated hip-hop releases are finally coming to light, and will join scheduled new outings by fellow heavyweights Jay-Z, Kanye West and 50 Cent. Dr. Dre, whose last studio album was in 1999, and Eminem (not heard from since 2004) are leaders in the field, and have reportedly been hard at work on each other's new recordings. What results from those sessions could be spectacular.

4. AC/DC, Black Ice (Oct. 20). Rock 'n' roll has undergone a steady resurgence in the past few years, and the primary beneficiary of that groundswell is AC/DC. The veteran group hasn't made a strong studio record since 1990, and yet remains a humongous draw on the tour circuit. Look for Black Ice, AC/DC's first outing in eight years, and its strong new single, Rock N Roll Train, to put these Aussie rockers back on the charts in a big way.

5. David Archuleta (Nov. 11); David Cook (Nov. 18). The first- and second-place finishers in last season's American Idol will release new full-length albums within a week of each other next month, giving fans of the two Davids another head-to-head contest. Archuleta is already out in front: His first single, Crush, crushes the mediocrity of Cook's lame-duck Light On. Archie is way more female-friendly, and in the bizarro world that is American Idol that counts for everything.

6. Kanye West, 808s and Heartbreak (November). Fans should expect plenty of surprises on West's fourth album. Already its release date has been moved from December to November and its title has gone from A Good Ass Job to 808s and Heartbreak. His rebellious streak is in high gear -- West's new single, Love Lockdown, is nuttier than a bag of cashews -- so expect more great things from one of 2007's biggest-selling, most unpredictable
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 07:47:58 PM by patcooper » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 134 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: