Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 07:47:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Best Buy exclusive
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 134 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Buy exclusive  (Read 564316 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #420 on: October 03, 2008, 08:41:43 PM »

This album is special cause it has had a decade of promotion

so 4-6 weeks is plenty

October 13th will be the announcement, First Single will ship to Radio that Tuesday the 14th and that gives 1 month till Nov 25th for the album.

Ship IT!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #421 on: October 03, 2008, 08:48:43 PM »

so 4-6 weeks is plenty

October 13th will be the announcement, First Single will ship to Radio that Tuesday the 14th and that gives 1 month till Nov 25th for the album.

Ship IT!

Promotion around the world will start in 1 week,

the body of lies is showing in cinemas here in aus next Thursday, 6 more days...
Early Next week I think we shall start to see some "rumblings"

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #422 on: October 03, 2008, 09:03:45 PM »

so 4-6 weeks is plenty

Ship IT!
We have seen very little in the way of 'Shacklers' promotion/discussion post release, but we are seeing pretty good pre-release hype on If The World everywhere (mostly tied to 'release' stories)...I am hoping, barring something on gunsnroses.com sooner, that we will hear something about the album post-ITW (Oct 7th?).  If ITW is a single, it is poor marketing to wait a week post-release - can't you just hear the (deep movie announcer voice) 'hear the single from the hit movie Body of Lies' or a 'Body' commercial with the hook 'featuring new music from the band Guns n' Roses'.  

Based on their past - I would expect BestBuy to sit on their hands until the week before it's in their stores (let the label/band handle promotion) - commercial wise...they may make an announcement, massage the press a little, before then since this is THAT big...they have never had anything this big...nor do I believe ANYONE has.

Something this big HAS to be on the shelves by the day after Thanksgiving...anything later is selling it short.  I believe in the 25th.

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #423 on: October 03, 2008, 09:34:37 PM »

the 25th of november, is definetly a big day in terms of sales in america,
but to the rest of the world, it is just like every other day...

Its inevitable that once chinese democracy is released, that it will be in torrent sites
ready for illegal download,
but the question is, would you receive a bigger profit if you release it around christmas  simultaneously everwhere in the world,
where sales everywhere around the world are the biggest all year, thus cashing in on a mass scale,
and getting more "bang for your buck" as everyone would be out buying it, instead of downloading the whole cd before christmas/ just releasing it in november25
where its really only america that see this as a thanksgiving/shopping holiday...

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
tomc102968
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #424 on: October 03, 2008, 11:08:19 PM »

Everything should be ready to go in the next 2 weeks and this is gonna be one of the most exciting times EVER!

I am almost certain we  get an announcement in the next 2 weeks!Body Of Lies comes out October 10th.

I guarantee that following  Monday/Tuesday we get the OFFICIAL first single and Release.

i will buy you a case of beer $20 limit axl's not on bored no announcement imho
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #425 on: October 03, 2008, 11:23:48 PM »

the 25th of november, is definetly a big day in terms of sales in america,
but to the rest of the world, it is just like every other day...

Its inevitable that once chinese democracy is released, that it will be in torrent sites
ready for illegal download,
but the question is, would you receive a bigger profit if you release it around christmas  simultaneously everwhere in the world,
where sales everywhere around the world are the biggest all year, thus cashing in on a mass scale,
and getting more "bang for your buck" as everyone would be out buying it, instead of downloading the whole cd before christmas/ just releasing it in november25
where its really only america that see this as a thanksgiving/shopping holiday...

Well the 25th of Nov would be better for Best Buy, if not necessarily for CD sales.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #426 on: October 04, 2008, 01:53:41 AM »

Today a 6 pack of Dr. Pepper randomly showed up at my doorstep.  ok

I have a feeling we'll be getting some news shortly.
Ejay
Opening Act

Guns are Allowed

« Reply #427 on: October 04, 2008, 02:30:25 AM »

That new AC/DC album is released exclusively through Walmart in the USA. Will you be able to get it at your local store?

Imagine a similar scenario for GN'R.....

/jarmo

I thought Eagles (I believe the album is 'waste of time and money') were Walmart and AC/DC was Target?  BestBuy for Metallica?  I am so confused...I just want to be able to buy them all at the same damn store - the good old days!  I have not bought a new CD since last Christmas...was hoping to get 3 when I drove all the way to BestBuy for ChiDem.

Eagles = Wallmart (and definitely not a waste of tome and money)
AC/DC = Wallmart
Metallica = not exclusive

Eagles = Wallmart (and definitely not a waste of tome and money)

Only if you got the right speakers in place dude  hihi

In Guns we Trust, Guns never let us down
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #428 on: October 04, 2008, 03:12:11 AM »

can't you just hear the (deep movie announcer voice) 'hear the single from the hit movie Body of Lies' or a 'Body' commercial with the hook 'featuring new music from the band Guns n' Roses'.  

FYI, that guy died last month.

This is all very interesting.
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #429 on: October 04, 2008, 12:25:47 PM »

can't you just hear the (deep movie announcer voice) 'hear the single from the hit movie Body of Lies' or a 'Body' commercial with the hook 'featuring new music from the band Guns n' Roses'.  

I'm pretty sure that they can teach someone else how to do voiceovers.

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
GNRVahland
Rocker

All Quiet on the Western Front

« Reply #430 on: October 04, 2008, 01:14:50 PM »

I'm pretty sure that they can teach someone else how to do voiceovers.

I thought voiceovers were to announce a movie, not some music you can hear in end credits....
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

« Reply #431 on: October 04, 2008, 03:17:11 PM »

Was it 'natural' causes?  Perhaps someone doesn't want him doing voice-overs for this movie!  Better call the President...call a Private Eye...hihi

There are many people/actors who do 'voice-over' work...Martin Sheen, Jack Nickleson, Jerry Sienfeld...a voice over is just that...voice over video/audio.  Not character acting, with someones mouth moving in relation to voice, but the 'god' voice - announcer - narrator.

Kitty
Rocker

« Reply #432 on: October 04, 2008, 06:57:23 PM »

The other nice "perk" for GnR in this whole thing is that it DRASTICALLY reduces the chance for an early leak.  It would HAVE to leak from production, unlike Death Magnetic which leaked because it arrived at retail early.  If it arrives at BB early....I don't think it's gonna leak.  Not from them.  Sealed cartons, possible lock and key, and a HUGE big box retailer as a single source really narrow the pipeline.

And GnR have tried to be pretty protective of their material.  I think this helps them in that deptartment.

Does that mean I should go get a job at the local best buy just incase it arrives early?  I wouldn't care if I got fired from there...

Fired could be the least of your worries. I worked there for a year back in 00'-01' and saw police involved in two seperate incidents involving employees breaking street dates on products. They take them very seriously, and would think that something like CD would be even more serious... I remember one of the products being a ICP DVD (who the fuck would take the time to break that street date).

Granted they have changed SOP in the last 8 years, but when they recieved media like this early it was locked in a large cage that only the merch, media, sales, and store managers had access to.
I'm sure things are pretty similar in terms of stuff being received. Everything we do seems pretty standard. We get new releases in from UPS sometime the week before the release, come packed in cardboard boxes, dosen't say what it is on the outside. Have to open boxes up, verify quantities received, take cds out, price them(new releases don't come priced), and store them in the warehouse until the morning of the street date. We've never locked releases up in a cage because we get so many of them in at a time and have never had a problem with stuff getting out early. It is serious business though, an employee stealing anything will result in the cops being called and prosecuted, and if it accidentally made it out on the floor early, they won't be able to pay for them because the registers will signal that it is ahead of the street date.

9/20/06 9/21/06 12/15/06 2/10/12 2/12/12 2/15/12 10/20/12 10/21/12 11/2/12 11/3/12
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #433 on: October 04, 2008, 09:19:05 PM »

Interesting piece I found on AC/DC's exclusive deal with Wall Mart.

The AC/DC Wal-Mart exclusive is about to be thunderstruck as US stores prepare to bring in stock of Black Ice from outside the USA.

One independent chain told Undercover News that, ?we have been able to order Black Ice in from Argentina for $8.25 per unit and will be able to sell it for less than the Wal-Mart price?.

The ease of buying from anywhere in the world makes a farce of the ?exclusive deal?.

By forcing the real music stores to shop internationally for their stock, SonyBMG America will be the loser in the deal.

?We can buy from anywhere,? the store source said. ?With technology and international accounts, if a major like SonyBMG America decides they don?t want to do business with us, we will do business with other territories. Why should we allow them to disadvantage our businesses and piss off our customers?

It complicates things a bit... CD will be a huge release so I guess there will be problems if shit like this happens...

However, they won't affect the band as it's a record company problem, and they're the ones who should solve it...

Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #434 on: October 04, 2008, 09:22:42 PM »

But then I read this...

Fringe relevance....

AC/DC: 'Black Ice' Vinyl Goes Exclusive To Indies In U.S. - Oct. 2, 2008
According to Australia's Undercover News, stores across America have reached a happy compromise over AC/DC's exclusive deal with Wal-Mart. Independent outlets will now have the exclusive vinyl release of the new AC/DC album, "Black Ice", and the 7" vinyl release of the single "Rock N' Roll Train" backed with "War Machine".

AC/DC has extended its trek across North America by adding sixteen more shows to its Black Ice World Tour. Newly added dates begin on December 20, in Ft. Lauderdale, FL and wrap up on January 31, 2009 in Nashville, TN. The tour kicks off on October 28, 2008 in Wilkes-Barre, PA.

18 Black Ice World Tour concerts sold out in record time when tickets went on sale for the initial round of on-sales, with shows being added in Chicago, Los Angeles, and Oakland due to unprecedented fan demand.

"Black Ice" will arrive on October 20 and will be sold exclusively at Wal-Mart, Sam's Club and ACDC.com in the U.S.

AC/DC was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003. The band has sold more than 200 million albums worldwide, including 69 million in the U.S. alone.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=106091

Still, some retailers could buy the cd's from Argentina and blow off the whole "exclusivity" thing...

IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

« Reply #435 on: October 04, 2008, 09:26:35 PM »

The AC/DC Wal-Mart exclusive is about to be thunderstruck as US stores prepare to bring in stock of Black Ice from outside the USA.

One independent chain told Undercover News that, ?we have been able to order Black Ice in from Argentina for $8.25 per unit and will be able to sell it for less than the Wal-Mart price?.

The ease of buying from anywhere in the world makes a farce of the ?exclusive deal?.

By forcing the real music stores to shop internationally for their stock, SonyBMG America will be the loser in the deal.

?We can buy from anywhere,? the store source said. ?With technology and international accounts, if a major like SonyBMG America decides they don?t want to do business with us, we will do business with other territories. Why should we allow them to disadvantage our businesses and piss off our customers?

It complicates things a bit... CD will be a huge release so I guess there will be problems if shit like this happens...

However, they won't affect the band as it's a record company problem, and they're the ones who should solve it...
God bless the 'international economy'...a guy in NY pays $1.50 for his morning coffee - that same $1.50 would pay a mortgage in China.  If you can buy 1 mil copies overseas, and spend the $$$ for shipping (1 mil CD's don't fill 1 20' container), you can probably turn quite a profit vs. American 'exclusive' sales.

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #436 on: October 04, 2008, 10:04:56 PM »

From walmart.com:
Black Ice (Wal-Mart Exclusive) (Red Album)
by AC/DC
Release Date: 10/20/2008
List Price: $14.98
Our Price: $11.88
You save: $3.10 (21%)

Black Ice (Blue) (Wal-Mart Exclusive) (Deluxe Edition)
by AC/DC
List Price: $15.98
Our Price: $13.88
You save: $2.10 (13%)

After that "independent chain" adds their 'profit margin' to that $8.25, I doubt it's gonna be that much cheaper than Wal-mart ... PLUS it'll probably take that "chain" a few days to a week or more to get them shipped from Argentina and on to their shelves.

Do you seriously think GNR fans are gonna wait a few days to get CD for a buck or two cheaper than they can at Best Buy?

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #437 on: October 04, 2008, 10:06:58 PM »

From walmart.com:
Black Ice (Wal-Mart Exclusive) (Red Album)
by AC/DC
List Price: $14.98
Our Price: $11.88
You save: $3.10 (21%)

Black Ice (Blue) (Wal-Mart Exclusive) (Deluxe Edition)
by AC/DC
List Price: $15.98
Our Price: $13.88
You save: $2.10 (13%)

After that "independent chain" adds their 'profit margin' to that $8.25, I doubt it's gonna be that much cheaper than Wal-mart ... PLUS it'll probably take that "chain" a few days to a week or more to get them shipped from Argentina and on to their shelves.

Do you seriously think GNR fans are gonna wait a few days to get CD for a buck or two cheaper than they can at Best Buy?

After waiting for so long i doubt it.  rofl
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

« Reply #438 on: October 04, 2008, 10:12:55 PM »

Down with the non-believers.  I will be at BestBuy 11/25 IF that is what the band wants! drool
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 12:35:36 PM by IKnowWhereIAM » Logged

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #439 on: October 05, 2008, 10:46:57 AM »

Today a 6 pack of Dr. Pepper randomly showed up at my doorstep.  ok

I have a feeling we'll be getting some news shortly.

Heh heh...I got one, too.

Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 134 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: