Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 06:44:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  looking to build my own computer...(some opinions please!!)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: looking to build my own computer...(some opinions please!!)  (Read 5002 times)
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« on: September 25, 2008, 06:38:24 PM »

hey everyone,

I've got a laptop that I use on the go and an old desktop that I use for all my dvd burning, video editing, etc. It's quite old and I'm looking to get some parts and build it. I've got a neighbor that repairs computers so he can easily put it together. I saw some products on newegg.com and I'm looking to get some opinions.

I'm looking to make the desktop one that has a lot of memory, hard-drive space, good graphics (for gaming & viewing BLU-RAY MOVIES I'm planning on buying a burner soon..). Connect to internet through lan cable (no need for wireless PCI card). Vista compatible. Would like to have quite a few USB 2.0 slots, along with a firewire port or two for my camcorder. Three 5.25" bays for 3 dvd burners if possible, no need for floppy. Planning on buying another 500GB/1TB internal for it as well.

Here is what I have already that I'm planning on putting in/using with my new desktop..
-Acer P221W (22" monitor, using VGA...would like to use HDMI)
-2 internal DVD drives (no cables came with them...possible to use old SATA cables from old desktop??)
-500GB internal HD
-new power supply (just put into my old desktop)

Here are the items I'm looking at on NewEgg right now...
-APEVIA X-Navigator ATXA8NW-SS/500 Silver Computer Case With Side Panel Window
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
-ECS P45T-A LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Turtle Beach TBS-3300-01 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Montego DDL Sound Card
-G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5Q-8GBPQ
-Western Digital Caviar SE WD5000AAJS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Thanks for all your help!
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 07:49:11 PM »

whats your budget?
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 08:20:52 PM »

About $1000. I have seen some things cheaper on TigerDirect, and others cheaper on Newegg. I guess I can split the order two places if neccessary?

I'm also looking at this video card..

XFX GeForce 9800 GT Video Card - FREE Call of Duty 4 PC Game, 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, (2) Dual Link DVI, HDTV, VGA Support
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4104586&sku=P450-9826
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:30:00 PM by cotis » Logged
Chief
Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 03:20:36 AM »

i think that looks all good for the most part. don't know much about the video card, check the reviews.

i'd get a bigger hard drive.. or maybe the raptor model, those are among the fastest.

actually i'd get a smaller hard drive at 10K RPM for the operating system and some programs, and a 750 GB for data, or higher.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Chief
Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 03:21:28 AM »

oh and check out  anandtech.com for some reviews of hardware.

I would definitely buy a new power supply for this system.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 04:53:10 AM »

Yeah i agree looks good and i definitely agree about the raptors those are fast drives. I hear the hitatchi's with 32mb of cache are really good too. That video card only has a 58% rating on newegg though. So i would consider looking for another one. The GTX with 512mb ram seems to be much better. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150314. What size power supply you planning on putting in here? I would definitely get one with a very high wattage like 650 or higher.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 06:30:43 AM »

-G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5Q-8GBPQ

What operating system are you gonna use?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 07:03:47 AM »

/jarmo

I've got Windows Vista Ultimate on a disc that I'm planning on using, I've got Vista on my laptop and I like it so..
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »

/jarmo

I've got Windows Vista Ultimate on a disc that I'm planning on using, I've got Vista on my laptop and I like it so..

You need Vista-64 to use 8GB of RAM.

Fuck 'Em All.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 08:04:16 PM »

/jarmo

That's what I've got ok
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 09:02:21 PM »

/jarmo

When you buy Vista it has the 32bit and 64bit versions on the disc.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 12:59:45 PM »

Bumping an old thread, same components still but am looking to upgrade a few things.

Seems I can't upgrade the memory at all, at the 8GB max capacity without spending $500 (NewEgg) for 16GB RAM.

I'm looking, possibly, for a new video card as well -- I watch (mostly) all blu-rays and HD stuff. I'm also looking to maybe get some sort of input/output for that where I can bring TV feeds in (currently have DirecTV if it matters).

Not sure how many HDD I can have -- I don't think it matters but still -- but am looking to add on a third or even fourth if it is possible. I've always thought you can only have two as more would crash the power supply/motherboard/something like that.

Also, would any of you suggest a new motherboard/processor? Not sure if these are outdated or anything but I haven't had any problems with it as of yet so I think it should be sufficient?

With the PC I plan to do movie editing, downloading (reasons for big HDD space needed) and maybe capture some TV stuff if possible.

Also, plan on upgrading to Windows 7 very shortly.

Thank you guys for any help.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 01:19:19 PM »

Seems I can't upgrade the memory at all, at the 8GB max capacity without spending $500 (NewEgg) for 16GB RAM.

Do you really need more than 8GB or RAM? Waste of money otherwise.

I'm looking, possibly, for a new video card as well -- I watch (mostly) all blu-rays and HD stuff. I'm also looking to maybe get some sort of input/output for that where I can bring TV feeds in (currently have DirecTV if it matters).

If money is no object, wait for the AMD 59xx series (dual 5870) to launch by the end of this year, or else go for the 5870 or the 5850 according to you budget.
Good for HTPC stuff as well since it supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD pass through and 8-channel LPCM and is DirectX 11 to boot so it's future proof (for a while Wink).

Not sure how many HDD I can have -- I don't think it matters but still -- but am looking to add on a third or even fourth if it is possible. I've always thought you can only have two as more would crash the power supply/motherboard/something like that.

To run 3-4 HDDs reliably, you need a good power supply. Better to go for higher capacity HDDs or if you can afford it a SSD.

Also, would any of you suggest a new motherboard/processor? Not sure if these are outdated or anything but I haven't had any problems with it as of yet so I think it should be sufficient?

Depends on your budget. A Q6600 can still give decent performance.

Fuck 'Em All.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 01:35:12 PM »

Do you really need more than 8GB or RAM? Waste of money otherwise.

If money is no object, wait for the AMD 59xx series (dual 5870) to launch by the end of this year, or else go for the 5870 or the 5850 according to you budget.
Good for HTPC stuff as well since it supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD pass through and 8-channel LPCM and is DirectX 11 to boot so it's future proof (for a while Wink).

To run 3-4 HDDs reliably, you need a good power supply. Better to go for higher capacity HDDs or if you can afford it a SSD.

Depends on your budget. A Q6600 can still give decent performance.

As for RAM, I don't think I need it I have just always thought more RAM = better.

As for the Video card, I don't think that will fit in my case? Here is a link to what I've got now.

As for a SSD/HDD, I think I'm just going to switch out my 500GB one for a 1TB one, it has my windows and everything installed on it, but with my new installation of Windows 7 -- I think I'm just going to back everything up on my secondary 640GB HDD and then transfer it back over when it's done. Do-able right?

Is there a processor you suggest for the stuff I want to do?
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 02:54:19 PM »

One thing I wanted to ask, why do you want a separate sound card? Granted some audiophiles will
go for a separate card, but for most people the on-board motherboard 8 channel audio is good enough.
You can save the money and spend it on another component.

As for RAM, I don't think I need it I have just always thought more RAM = better.

It usually is, but 8GB is good enough for the time being. If you do a lot of video editing and Photoshopping etc.
in parallel and find that the system is slowing down, then you can go for more RAM later.

As for the Video card, I don't think that will fit in my case? Here is a link to what I've got now.

You're right. I didn't think about that. The 5870 is 10.5 inches long, the 5850 about an inch shorter. There are smaller versions
like the 5770 and the 5750. Whatever you get, I think a 5xxx series card is a good choice, especially if you plan on connecting
TV equipment later on for movies. I think the 5870 will fit in the case though. You might want to confirm.

As for a SSD/HDD, I think I'm just going to switch out my 500GB one for a 1TB one, it has my windows and everything installed on it, but with my new installation of Windows 7 -- I think I'm just going to back everything up on my secondary 640GB HDD and then transfer it back over when it's done. Do-able right?

Shouldn't be a problem.

Is there a processor you suggest for the stuff I want to do?

Sorry, in the previous post I assumed you had already bought the motherboard. If you are going to buy a new
motherboard and processor by all means don't go for the Q6600. That's quite outdated. You might want to look
at the Core i7 860 and a new P55 board to go with it. You can also go for a Core i7 920 which is a better processor,
but then the motherboard will be more expensive.

Or

You could go for an AMD based system, which won't match Core i7 performance but gives very decent performance
at a lower price.

Confusing I know. How much you can spend for the mobo + CPU combo would be the decider, I guess.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 03:13:37 PM by Genesis » Logged

Fuck 'Em All.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 03:37:06 PM »

I have those things in my PC now, and I'm just looking to upgrade to make it faster/stronger/more reliable.

I am fine with the sound-card built in now, but if I get a new motherboard without one, I'd likely have to get an additional one yes? But I didn't bring that up as it's one of the (if it comes about, deal with it) situations. Thinking about this MOBO with this processor but it would be a little while until I can buy it and such.

I'm going to stick with the 8GB RAM, buy a 1TB HDD to replace my smaller one (couldn't I just add it on, have a third??).

I wish that video card would fit, I'd love for it. Instead of that, what do you think about this one.

I'm looking at about $600 right now with the new video card, processor and motherboard.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 04:05:54 PM »

I am fine with the sound-card built in now, but if I get a new motherboard without one, I'd likely have to get an additional one yes? But I didn't bring that up as it's one of the (if it comes about, deal with it) situations. Thinking about this MOBO with this processor but it would be a little while until I can buy it and such.

Processor is good. The motherboard I'm not so sure about. You might be better off going for a slighly better board from ASUS or MSI or Gigabyte.

I'm going to stick with the 8GB RAM, buy a 1TB HDD to replace my smaller one (couldn't I just add it on, have a third??).

I don't think it'll work but you can try. If the system is unstable then you can get a better power supply. Board + RAM + CPU + new Video Card itself
will eat quite a bit of power.

I wish that video card would fit, I'd love for it. Instead of that, what do you think about this one.

The niggle with the 5770 is that it sometimes performs slower than a older and cheaper 4870 in games so if gaming is important get that.. Smiley
I'd rather you go with a 5750 instead.

Fuck 'Em All.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 04:19:40 PM »

Gaming isn't important to me, but the 5750 looks nice and is cheaper, so I'll consider it.

As for the Board, what do you think about this one? Do you suggest any specific board from TigerDirect? Looking to go under/around $250 for the board.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 04:43:18 PM »

Uh oh, bad news cotis. Did you already buy that RAM? I just noticed. DDR2 RAM won't work with these newer platforms. You need DDR3.
I suggest you dump the RAM and go with newer RAM rather than keep the RAM and buy an older platform.

This board is a good one.

Fuck 'Em All.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 04:56:39 PM »

Well that RAM is still in my computer, as I said I'm running it now, just looking to make improvements to it and make it better for the future.

I have THIS CASE but was thinking about possibly moving to THIS NEW CASE. That doesn't include a power supply though, which would cost me a bunch more.

Not a definite but just some ideas going through my head of what to and what not to improve upon.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 04:59:15 PM by cotis » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: