Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 04:42:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228115 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  If The World
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If The World  (Read 101470 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #360 on: January 22, 2009, 08:55:11 PM »

I just hate crappy lyrics. 

Why don't you show us the lyrics the way you think they should be?

Since you know what crappy lyrics are, it should be easy for you to come up with something non-crappy.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
BangoSkank
Rocker

"i'm gonna put my evil inside you!"

« Reply #361 on: January 23, 2009, 03:42:49 PM »

Since you know what crappy lyrics are, it should be easy for you to come up with something non-crappy.

/jarmo

I was actually trying to talk about this shit and get into a real discussion about it.  Not bashing, not just being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole, but having an actual discussion.  People are throwing gigantic ideas around from this song, and I just have no idea where they're getting them from.  But rather than explain this shit, I get called a fucking troll.  So many apologies, I guess, but I've got to defend myself.

anyway it's one of my favorite songs on the album and I was expressing disappointment in it.  And you want to know what I think are good lyrics? Better, TWAT, Right Next Door to Hell, Estranged, and Prostitute.  All of them show Axl can write great shit.

who will be the last to die for a mistake?
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #362 on: January 23, 2009, 03:47:38 PM »

I love the heavy guitar sound in this song.  Smiley

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #363 on: January 23, 2009, 04:28:32 PM »

/jarmo

I was actually trying to talk about this shit and get into a real discussion about it.  Not bashing, not just being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole, but having an actual discussion. 

so was I. no need to call what we appreciate crappy or cringe worthy.
so you really could not make sense out of my post?  Huh

Good poems leave space for us to appreciate the subtle overtones of them. I consider such lyrics deep.
BangoSkank
Rocker

« Reply #364 on: January 23, 2009, 05:11:44 PM »

/jarmo

I was actually trying to talk about this shit and get into a real discussion about it.  Not bashing, not just being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole, but having an actual discussion. 

so was I. no need to call what we appreciate crappy or cringe worthy.
so you really could not make sense out of my post?  Huh

Good poems leave space for us to appreciate the subtle overtones of them. I consider such lyrics deep.

i know you were, my problem came from the dude who called me a troll.  you and I were getting somewhere... kinda.  I still disagree that these are great lyrics, and I'd counter your argument by saying that although it's true there is always space in all of the great poems, too much space is dangerous in that the meaning will be lost.

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #365 on: January 23, 2009, 05:24:59 PM »

/jarmo

I was actually trying to talk about this shit and get into a real discussion about it.  Not bashing, not just being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole, but having an actual discussion.  People are throwing gigantic ideas around from this song, and I just have no idea where they're getting them from.  But rather than explain this shit, I get called a fucking troll.  So many apologies, I guess, but I've got to defend myself.

anyway it's one of my favorite songs on the album and I was expressing disappointment in it.  And you want to know what I think are good lyrics? Better, TWAT, Right Next Door to Hell, Estranged, and Prostitute.  All of them show Axl can write great shit.

Right next Door To Hell has great lyrics?

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
BangoSkank
Rocker

« Reply #366 on: January 23, 2009, 05:31:13 PM »

/jarmo

Totally dude, they're fierce, cutting and Axl holds nothing back.

y2marmar
Headliner

I love the chosen one...

« Reply #367 on: January 23, 2009, 05:33:15 PM »

I know I love the lyrics in that song.

Jean Claude Jaquatee...because you know who you are...when you're you
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #368 on: January 23, 2009, 05:53:25 PM »

i know you were, my problem came from the dude who called me a troll. 

she was just asking because the way you replayed to the post was quite strange, i reckon.

anyway,
with if the world, I think the 'dangerous' space allows us to use our own imagination freely.  That works superb with the instrumentals.
like rabia said there's a joyful feeling of liberation about the song.

i understand you're not used to it but try give your fancy free play in space.
You needn't get the same imagery to the next person.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #369 on: January 23, 2009, 10:08:57 PM »

/jarmo

I think it does
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #370 on: January 23, 2009, 11:52:20 PM »

I like them (I dig the line with Freud). Its that I think with ITW its really more of an overall experience. I hate the thought that other fans aren't feeling this type of journey. I still dig the sleaze rock of a RNDTH but, I love IFW for where it takes me. I would get drunk to a track like RNDTH but I wouldn't still trip to it. ITW on the other hand...

A big part of that isn't just the tripped out music its Axl. What he is saying and how he is singing it connects with me.... almost visually. Not necessarily seeing through the mind's eye but... eh, I guess either you get it or you don't.

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #371 on: January 24, 2009, 12:09:22 AM »

I like them (I dig the line with Freud). Its that I think with ITW its really more of an overall experience. I hate the thought that other fans aren't feeling this type of journey. I still dig the sleaze rock of a RNDTH but, I love IFW for where it takes me. I would get drunk to a track like RNDTH but I wouldn't still trip to it. ITW on the other hand...

A big part of that isn't just the tripped out music its Axl. What he is saying and how he is singing it connects with me.... almost visually. Not necessarily seeing through the mind's eye but... eh, I guess either you get it or you don't.

To me, like Walter Sobchak would say, "The beauty of If The World, Dude, is the simplicity."  It's a beautiful track and the lyrics are very, very simple but very effective

But I'd still say Right Next Door To Hell has better lyrics

"I'll take a nicotine, caffeine, sugar fix
Jesus don't you get tired of turning tricks
And when your innocence dies you'll find the blues
Seems all our heroes were born to lose
Just through town you believe scene
Another empty house, another dead end street
Gonna sit my bones, sit for a spell..........

My momma never really said much to me
She was much to young and scared to be, hell
Freud might say that's what I need
But all I really ever get is greed
And most my friends, they feel the same
Hell we don't even have ourselves to blame......

Not bad kids just stupid ones
Yeah we thought we'd own the world
An gettin' used was havin' fun
I said we're not sad kids just lucid ones yeah
Flowin' through life not collectin' anyone
wells
VIP

!!

« Reply #372 on: January 24, 2009, 11:27:54 AM »

I prefer ITW lyrics way more ... way ... but it is really subjective I guess  Smiley

-velimir
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #373 on: January 24, 2009, 01:18:13 PM »

This is one of those songs that could have never been done in the old days.    Stuff like this took me pleasantly by surprise as I was hoping to see Guns and Axl take things in directions they hadn't previously.   

It also really makes me appreciate what Chris Pitman brings to the band.
BangoSkank
Rocker

« Reply #374 on: January 24, 2009, 01:59:20 PM »

This is one of those songs that could have never been done in the old days.    Stuff like this took me pleasantly by surprise as I was hoping to see Guns and Axl take things in directions they hadn't previously.   

It also really makes me appreciate what Chris Pitman brings to the band.

completely agree, that's one of the main reasons why this who album kicks so much ass.

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #375 on: January 24, 2009, 06:16:33 PM »

I Iike this song a lot.  Its just has this whole James Bond or Jason Bourne vibe to it too.  Like I could see them in the begining of the movie on a boat cruising on a mission or something.  I like the guitar solo in the song too..
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #376 on: January 25, 2009, 12:59:36 PM »

To me, like Walter Sobchak would say, "The beauty of If The World, Dude, is the simplicity."  It's a beautiful track and the lyrics are very, very simple but very effective

"I'll take a nicotine, caffeine, sugar fix
Jesus don't you get tired of turning tricks
And when your innocence dies you'll find the blues
Seems all our heroes were born to lose
Just through town you believe scene
Another empty house, another dead end street
Gonna sit my bones, sit for a spell..........

My momma never really said much to me
She was much to young and scared to be, hell
Freud might say that's what I need
But all I really ever get is greed
And most my friends, they feel the same
Hell we don't even have ourselves to blame......

Not bad kids just stupid ones
Yeah we thought we'd own the world
An gettin' used was havin' fun
I said we're not sad kids just lucid ones yeah
Flowin' through life not collectin' anyone

Too much of Apple and orange aren't they? try and imagine these words set to if the world music and vice versa.
better comparison could be?scraped? Sorry? I donno.

these are eloquent, clever in the rhetoric, confrontational touching on profound issues,  etc but you can't say they are lyrical or poetic like if the world, can you?

"If the world would end today
All the dreams we had
Would all just drift away
You know there's nothing more to say
If the world would end
And our love slipped away

I never knew the way that you looked at me
Would ever mean so much to me
But in my heart I found
The feelin's that I've never shown
And now they've
Got the best of me"

See the contrast between the first verse and the second. the long shot and the close up in turn.

For it's lyricizm and grandeur, if the world has better lyrics. Walter Sobchak would say, "Dude, it's pathos."
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #377 on: January 26, 2009, 02:42:42 PM »

Nice way too put this ppbebe.

This is what I have been taking with Chinese Democracy as a whole. The themes are so much bigger.

Its the Watchmen of music.

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #378 on: January 26, 2009, 02:47:07 PM »

I'd like to hear faith no more interpret this song smoking
Principessa
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #379 on: February 06, 2009, 08:55:02 AM »

Prior to the release of CD, Axl spoke of wanting to bring a few friends of his with him into the 21st Century.

If The World, reflects this sentiment.

It is about a promise made long ago, of shared dreams, of a mutual love of music.

This world is not over.

The song has the essence of Brotherhood and Sisterhood. All for one and one for all.

Don't You Try and Stop Us Now (oh, that's Scraped)  hihi

...and I Do
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: