Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 05:10:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228115 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  If The World
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If The World  (Read 101493 times)
BangoSkank
Rocker

"i'm gonna put my evil inside you!"

« Reply #340 on: January 13, 2009, 06:13:15 PM »

It sounds, to me, like Axl singing to Beta because it's "you're the only one I have ever loved that has ever loved me",

Or what if he was alone singing to the mirror  Shocked would it still sound basic to you?

kinda yeah... the point is not who he's singing to/about but how.

who will be the last to die for a mistake?
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #341 on: January 13, 2009, 06:52:05 PM »

I meant I wonder if they play ITW wether  the AM part would be played live or recorded like the orchrester in Bohimium Rapsody or the spoken part of God of Thunder.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #342 on: January 13, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »

I'm sure Chris has adequate gadgets to reproduce the effect in a live environment.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Annie
« Reply #343 on: January 13, 2009, 07:32:06 PM »

I loved hearing this song on the big screen when I went to see BODY OF LIES.
Thats_Called_The_Blues
Opening Act

« Reply #344 on: January 14, 2009, 11:27:32 PM »

I fuckin love this song... anyone find it sounds like it should be in a James Bond movie?  smoking
BangoSkank
Rocker

« Reply #345 on: January 15, 2009, 04:09:55 PM »

I fuckin love this song... anyone find it sounds like it should be in a James Bond movie?  smoking

Yeah, which is why it was appropriate for Body Of Lies.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #346 on: January 16, 2009, 11:26:49 AM »

I anyone find it sounds like it should be in a James Bond movie?  smoking

not me.

It sounds, to me, like Axl singing to Beta because it's "you're the only one I have ever loved that has ever loved me",

Or what if he was alone singing to the mirror  Shocked would it still sound basic to you?

my point is not who in particular he's singing to either.

You said the word love is thrown too cheep seeing it as just his to someone near him like everyone else but I see more.

Whose love would just slip away at the end of the world? Not just the singers and his loved ones. But also yours and everyones in the world.
when our history ends, the dreams we humans have had, everything human have made for some millenniums will drift away into the silence of the dark cosmos.
aliens that arrive this planet 5670 million years later or so to find the ruins may find our far behind technology retard but can they relate to our art, literature, music, thoughts, sentiments, jokes, which even your dog doesn't?

we are so alone in the universe. Do other creatures even feel lonely? Do androids dream of electric sheep?

When you think of the end of the world, don't you feel that our species are so dear and precious to you?

Na I'm not saying that is what this song is meant, but, as axl said he?d like people to develop their own relationship with the songs a bit, this song make me think of our planet?s uniqueness in the space. Think of our/ human's solitude in the entire universe.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 11:29:42 AM by ppbebe » Logged
BangoSkank
Rocker

« Reply #347 on: January 18, 2009, 07:12:32 PM »

I anyone find it sounds like it should be in a James Bond movie?  smoking

not me.

You said the word love is thrown too cheep seeing it as just his to someone near him like everyone else but I see more.

Whose love would just slip away at the end of the world? Not just the singers and his loved ones. But also yours and everyones in the world.
when our history ends, the dreams we humans have had, everything human have made for some millenniums will drift away into the silence of the dark cosmos.
aliens that arrive this planet 5670 million years later or so to find the ruins may find our far behind technology retard but can they relate to our art, literature, music, thoughts, sentiments, jokes, which even your dog doesn't?

we are so alone in the universe. Do other creatures even feel lonely? Do androids dream of electric sheep?

When you think of the end of the world, don't you feel that our species are so dear and precious to you?

Na I'm not saying that is what this song is meant, but, as axl said he?d like people to develop their own relationship with the songs a bit, this song make me think of our planet?s uniqueness in the space. Think of our/ human's solitude in the entire universe.

It's interesting you'd take that approach, and that's kind of a perfect example of what I'm talking about.  If the song really is that deep, doesn't it make you wish he hit that nail on the head a bit better?  The music certainly suggests something great and big like this, but I just don't feel the lyrics jive well-enough with it.  And don't get me wrong, it's easily one of the best songs on the album, but he's just being way too general for me to really relate to this one.  I don't say this out of criticism, only confusion and disappointment.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #348 on: January 19, 2009, 05:11:36 PM »

If the song really is that deep, doesn't it make you wish he hit that nail on the head a bit better? 

like bono would? nope,
the song is perfect as it is. No no there's no more to say, the music is already beautifully eloquent.
the lyrics are nicely refined. the vocals are singnficant. If they were verbose they wouldn't give the lingering imagery as they do.
the imagery of the rondo of planets and the infinite silence of the universe.
Annie
« Reply #349 on: January 19, 2009, 05:19:10 PM »

Yeah, which is why it was appropriate for Body Of Lies.
I loved it in that movie!
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #350 on: January 19, 2009, 05:47:20 PM »

I'm sure Chris has adequate gadgets to reproduce the effect in a live environment.

I sure he does, I bet Bumble will be on the flamenco playing buckets parts.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
cjmax02
Rocker

literary protostar

« Reply #351 on: January 19, 2009, 06:33:18 PM »

You said the word love is thrown too cheap seeing it as just his to someone near him like everyone else but I see more.

this song...kinda...gosh, hard to describe..! I'll try my best.

if the entire planet got blown to hades, it's almost too hard to imagine the billions of souls getting judged and going to heaven or hell (if you subscribe to that theory or any kind of life after death). It'd be too much effort. So we'd just be drifting out in the cosmos with all our unfinished business and hopes and wishes and love and lust for life that was denied us, we'd be bound together in some dreamtime reality. And it'd be kinda nice because humanity would be united in something at last...dreaming of each other.

I sorta feel that we'd be nothing but our drifting dreams, if the world ended.

(I wouldn't say we're alone in the universe, though. Unique, and isolated, yes, but not alone...far from it...)

on the other hand, if it's more of an 'ending of the world-as-we-know-it', all our hopes and dreams would be crushed and shattered. can't you imagine the dead look in people's eyes? To think of all the lost opportunities and 'what-ifs'. 

In some small way, this song tells me to seize the day and not waste time dreaming of love. Not to fear making your own dreams come true.

do you even know where the fuck I am?
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #352 on: January 19, 2009, 06:56:13 PM »

I can't personally explain the meaning of If The World to me, but I can say it creates a deep emotional feeling in me.  A longing and a sorrow... hard to describe.  I love the lyrics and to me, it's the most classic rock sounding song on the album.  I know many will disagree with it because of it's arrangement, but if you take that away, what's left is a very simple, very awesome classic rock song.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #353 on: January 19, 2009, 07:22:59 PM »

Yea, it kind of plays off the line in Breakdown when Axl sings "You aint got no woman better get back out and find her."

"You're the only one I have ever loved that has ever loved me"

That is really profound even in its simplicity. I had teenage crushes I mistook for love. I had some girlfriends I thought I loved who I felt used by, and didn't feel they loved me as I did them. My wife is different. I feel her love. I feel it and my love for her is... I don't really have the words for. My love for my daughters and the love I get from them is also just boundless. There is nothing like loving someone who also loves you, and you know they do deep down in every fiber of your being. And life is so precious. Goddamn I really love this song. Its still so fucking tripped out for me. It continues to be my go to when I have smoked a bowl. It just moves me. So much goodness going on.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 07:24:37 PM by Buddha_Master » Logged

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
BangoSkank
Rocker

« Reply #354 on: January 19, 2009, 07:59:22 PM »

If the song really is that deep, doesn't it make you wish he hit that nail on the head a bit better? 

like bono would? nope,
the song is perfect as it is. No no there's no more to say, the music is already beautifully eloquent.
the lyrics are nicely refined. the vocals are singnficant. If they were verbose they wouldn't give the lingering imagery as they do.

What lingering imagery? It doesn't say any of that anywhere.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 08:01:59 PM by the bucket » Logged

cjmax02
Rocker

literary protostar

« Reply #355 on: January 19, 2009, 10:49:39 PM »

like bono would? nope,

-facepalm-    are you a troll, or just ig'nant?

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #356 on: January 20, 2009, 04:21:25 PM »

like bono would? nope,

who'd have thought the alien was already here.   Tongue

that's the imagery suggests itself in the song and resounds after the song finishes like an afterglow or an ember.
or like our dreams and love after the world ends.

you know the expression 'to read between the lines'.  between the lines is space.

I sorta feel that we'd be nothing but our drifting dreams, if the world ended.

(I wouldn't say we're alone in the universe, though. Unique, and isolated, yes, but not alone...far from it...)

If so, maybe what we hear at the am radio bit is the drift of dreams from a varnished planet, comes and goes as a meteor.
the stars we see every nite are many million light years away from us. many of them are no more.  Cry still we are seeing them.

on the other hand, if it's more of an 'ending of the world-as-we-know-it', all our hopes and dreams would be crushed and shattered. can't you imagine the dead look in people's eyes? To think of all the lost opportunities and 'what-ifs'. 

In some small way, this song tells me to seize the day and not waste time dreaming of love. Not to fear making your own dreams come true.

constructive.  Smiley   

bono would go 'Save the world!'
cjmax02
Rocker

literary protostar

« Reply #357 on: January 20, 2009, 05:58:42 PM »

I can't personally explain the meaning of If The World to me, but I can say it creates a deep emotional feeling in me.  A longing and a sorrow... hard to describe.  I love the lyrics and to me, it's the most classic rock sounding song on the album.  I know many will disagree with it because of it's arrangement, but if you take that away, what's left is a very simple, very awesome classic rock song.

yeah the arrangement is far from classic rock....but let's face it, it's a stand-out track BECAUSE there's fuck-all-else that sounds like it.

If so, maybe what we hear at the am radio bit is the drift of dreams from a varnished planet, comes and goes as a meteor.
the stars we see every nite are many million light years away from us. many of them are no more.  Cry still we are seeing them.

are our dreams really our own?  or the memories of a world long-ended..?  if energy such as light can go on for so long, surely the hopes and dreams we put our very souls into can do the same.

rabia
Rocker

« Reply #358 on: January 22, 2009, 12:56:42 AM »

i love this song. its amazing.

its paradoxical that a song about the world ending has a such a sense of freedom about it but that's axl for you. Smiley there's a joyful feeling of liberation about the song that i really dig.
BangoSkank
Rocker

« Reply #359 on: January 22, 2009, 08:39:37 PM »

like bono would? nope,

-facepalm-    are you a troll, or just ig'nant?

-ball punch-  niether I just hate crappy lyrics. 

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: