Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 04:42:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228115 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  If The World
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If The World  (Read 101472 times)
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #220 on: October 12, 2008, 10:55:01 AM »

slash says in his biography he spent ages arranging lots of illusion songs etc, and wrote heaps of parts but got no credit; i mean, i guess you have to draw a line somewhere, and yeah i think axl and chris probably wrote the foundations of the song, and the others added to it..

the songs pretty awesome; axl is a bit hit and miss.. i hope he hits alot on the album
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #221 on: October 12, 2008, 11:39:02 AM »

But the fact is most of those songs he didn't write. He may have made them sound better with his guitar twists. But unless he wrote some lyrics or came up with the chord progression or melody then he didn't write the song.

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #222 on: October 12, 2008, 11:41:18 AM »

axl is a bit hit and miss..

what?
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #223 on: October 12, 2008, 11:58:36 AM »

She said songwriting credits are for lyrics and music and I was simply pointing out that Guitar is music. I feel if the guitar is a heavy contributer to the song, that should count as credit.

Whoever wrote the flaminco guitar thing, should get credit for it cause its a huge awesome part of the song that elevates it.

Aren't yourself a musician? You should know exactly what means songwriting.

Solos, riffs and arrangements are not included in this category. I don't know how you can argue with that.

Brain did an AMAZING job on If The World, by far one of his best contributions (along with Rhiad). Did he get any credits?

true, but riffs are included mostly. imagine jack buce getting no credit for the "sunshine of your love" riff. or ritchie blackmore not credited for "smoke on the water"... anyway, who gets songwriting credits is not always so clear and a band might fight and argue about it as well...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 12:42:37 PM by whiny » Logged

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
Annie
« Reply #224 on: October 12, 2008, 05:41:24 PM »

I really liked the movie and I TOTALLY LOVED THE SONG!  beer smoking love hihi peace ok Kiss Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #225 on: October 12, 2008, 05:58:52 PM »

I really liked the movie and I TOTALLY LOVED THE SONG!  beer smoking love hihi peace ok Kiss Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley
I agree, I just got back from seeing it a while ago.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
nekomex
Rocker

« Reply #226 on: October 12, 2008, 11:58:48 PM »

wow

that chihuahuas movie got the first place again in the boxoffice,body of lies was 3rd. really sad. no
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #227 on: October 13, 2008, 12:04:26 AM »

who cares, its not like it ws billed as GNR movie

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
nekomex
Rocker

« Reply #228 on: October 13, 2008, 12:22:37 AM »

i mean for the movie industry not for guns, to get a new ridley scott movie and preffering to watch that chihuahuas movie? i know it was probably the families that went with their kids and all, but no one was anticipating this.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #229 on: October 13, 2008, 08:29:53 AM »

i mean for the movie industry not for guns, to get a new ridley scott movie and preffering to watch that chihuahuas movie? i know it was probably the families that went with their kids and all, but no one was anticipating this.

people that care about this and spend time covering movie grosses speculate it was due to the subject matter of the movie and the dark times in the US due to the activies of the stock market and people wanting to escape from that reality Undecided
Annie
« Reply #230 on: October 13, 2008, 08:42:32 AM »

people that care about this and spend time covering movie grosses speculate it was due to the subject matter of the movie and the dark times in the US due to the activies of the stock market and people wanting to escape from that reality Undecided
I agree. The movie is really good . I thought it had a strong message for the US to get out of Iraq. To be honest, I only went to see the movie because I wanted to hear the new song. It was so cool to see Axl and GNR's name up there on the big screen! And Leonardo is pretty cute too.
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #231 on: October 13, 2008, 12:18:19 PM »

slash says in his biography he spent ages arranging lots of illusion songs etc, and wrote heaps of parts but got no credit; i mean, i guess you have to draw a line somewhere, and yeah i think axl and chris probably wrote the foundations of the song, and the others added to it..

the songs pretty awesome; axl is a bit hit and miss.. i hope he hits alot on the album

Seems to be a bit of an ego thing, though it's not unusual at all for the guitarists not to receive songwriting credit, even though they have a huge impact on how the song comes out. I am always interested in seeing who writes what, but I don't put a ton of stock into it for that reason. I always respected the bands that credit the band as a whole for what they create, as that is probably the closest to the truth in most cases anyway. If you dont have a good songwriter, then you dont have shit. Axl is a great songwriter, and has always had great musicians to add to his songs. I am pretty sure Slash wasnt credited for Estranged, and while I realize that it is one of Axl's masterpieces as far as songwriting goes, it certainly isnt the epic it turned out to be without Slash's axe work. Axl did praise him for it in the making of, and was obviously very gracious of the work he did, but I can see how in similar cases that would really rub a musician the wrong way. It's believed to be the reason Mick Taylor left the Stones, basically ending the greatest rock n roll band of all time.
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #232 on: October 13, 2008, 01:25:31 PM »

It's just the way it is. I've been in many bands. And unless you wrote the chord progression or lyrics, you did NOT "write" the song.

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #233 on: October 13, 2008, 02:10:24 PM »

Axl wrote Estranged as a piano song and later added to the UYI2 booklet:
"Thank you Slash for the killer melodies."
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #234 on: October 13, 2008, 02:40:10 PM »

I know that. I was just using Estranged as an example. My point is that, no matter who the song is credited to, in this case only Axl, there is no way you can think of Estranged without thinking of Slash's solos. Obviously the song doesnt exist without Axl, but its not an epic w/o Slash. Thats why I dont pay much attention to the credits. Is it possible to listen to Estranged w/o picturing Slash soloing on the water? Priceless!
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #235 on: October 13, 2008, 02:44:04 PM »

There's know way Slash should be in credits for song writing in Estranged. That's a song written by Axl. There's no 2 ways about it.

Song writing does NOT include adding parts on top of the base of the song.

www.bluejayfever.com

duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #236 on: October 13, 2008, 02:47:45 PM »

"killer GUITAR melodies". Rose wrote the song.

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #237 on: October 13, 2008, 02:56:55 PM »

There's know way Slash should be in credits for song writing in Estranged. That's a song written by Axl. There's no 2 ways about it.

I realize that. You guys aren't saying anything I didn't already. Regardless of the fact Axl wrote it, people are going to associate Slash with the song as much as they do Axl. Axl wrote it, great, he deserves the credit. I'm just saying I can see where musicians that dont get credit could be upset by it. Its very well documented that it happens. I'm not saying its right or wrong, or that I even care, just throw'n my 2 cents out there.
Jack49
Opening Act

Use Your Illusion

« Reply #238 on: October 13, 2008, 02:59:39 PM »

good movie, great song and the placement in it was perfect
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #239 on: October 13, 2008, 03:45:01 PM »

I realize that. You guys aren't saying anything I didn't already. Regardless of the fact Axl wrote it, people are going to associate Slash with the song as much as they do Axl. Axl wrote it, great, he deserves the credit. I'm just saying I can see where musicians that dont get credit could be upset by it. Its very well documented that it happens. I'm not saying its right or wrong, or that I even care, just throw'n my 2 cents out there.

u do know that this is about if the world.. great, moving on
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: