Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 03:31:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228137 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  If The World
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If The World  (Read 101619 times)
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #240 on: October 13, 2008, 04:06:20 PM »

Axl wrote Estranged as a piano song and later added to the UYI2 booklet:
"Thank you Slash for the killer melodies."

"killer GUITAR melodies". Rose wrote the song.
There's know way Slash should be in credits for song writing in Estranged. That's a song written by Axl. There's no 2 ways about it.

Song writing does NOT include adding parts on top of the base of the song.

I realize that. You guys aren't saying anything I didn't already. Regardless of the fact Axl wrote it, people are going to associate Slash with the song as much as they do Axl. Axl wrote it, great, he deserves the credit. I'm just saying I can see where musicians that dont get credit could be upset by it. Its very well documented that it happens. I'm not saying its right or wrong, or that I even care, just throw'n my 2 cents out there.

u do know that this is about if the world.. great, moving on

Thanks board nazi.

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #241 on: October 13, 2008, 04:46:05 PM »

u do know that this is about if the world.. great, moving on

Thanks board nazi.

Piss off dude...

I agree... I dont want to come into this thread reading about 1991 credit arguments.... I wanna see what people have to say about the song!
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #242 on: October 13, 2008, 04:55:56 PM »

Axl wrote Estranged as a piano song and later added to the UYI2 booklet:
"Thank you Slash for the killer melodies."

"killer GUITAR melodies". Rose wrote the song.
There's know way Slash should be in credits for song writing in Estranged. That's a song written by Axl. There's no 2 ways about it.

Song writing does NOT include adding parts on top of the base of the song.

I realize that. You guys aren't saying anything I didn't already. Regardless of the fact Axl wrote it, people are going to associate Slash with the song as much as they do Axl. Axl wrote it, great, he deserves the credit. I'm just saying I can see where musicians that dont get credit could be upset by it. Its very well documented that it happens. I'm not saying its right or wrong, or that I even care, just throw'n my 2 cents out there.

Oh agreed, especially with lead guitar players because the majority of the time they don't "write" the songs. Although there's some "Slash" songs on GNR albums as well. Just not as many as Axl and Izzy.

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
keithos27
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #243 on: October 16, 2008, 02:02:11 AM »

just saw this movie tonight and was walking out during the credits when i thought i heard axl's voice... thought i would check on here to see if there was any mention of the track.  cool to see new gn'r material being released. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 02:09:18 AM by keithos27 » Logged
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #244 on: October 19, 2008, 09:49:55 AM »

Guess people didn't pic up on the fact that the music of IF the wold, was included in the movie also, in the background, during the fi, specifically the guitar parts. Just saw the film,, liked the movie .

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #245 on: October 19, 2008, 12:11:19 PM »

I finally saw BOL Friday, and was the only one in the 'megaplex' to hear Axl sing ITW...of course, I was the only one sitting through the movie as well...place was M-T on a Friday at 5pm.   Movie was lame, undeveloped characters, seemed very condensed, etc...but song was worth $10.25 I paid to hear it (it was also very condensed). ok

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
gnredwing
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #246 on: November 20, 2008, 12:15:15 AM »

Listening to the album on myspace and what a great suprise it was to hear if the world mastered. I heard the leak a couple months back and I thought it was cool, but the final version is so fuckin awesome. It tunes in and out, guitars are sick, it fuckin rules!!!!
thesloth
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #247 on: November 20, 2008, 02:53:09 AM »

Great fuckin song.  Love the funky intro
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #248 on: November 20, 2008, 05:50:42 AM »

pretty fucking sweet, i loved the way "la dada" shit was played or how to say Grin
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #249 on: November 20, 2008, 06:29:15 AM »

I love this song. In my opinion is the best one along with Better and the Democracy. The whole album kick ass.

"...It don't really matter..."
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #250 on: November 20, 2008, 07:03:45 AM »

WOW, This absolutely shits all over the leak version we got.

The part where Axl's voice slowly pans from right to left! WOW, what an effect.  the production and music and everything is just absolute perfection

I think this is one of the best songs I've heard maybe ever?

Seriously, I see people rating this one sort of low, but this song sounds like its been famous for 30 years or something.

Instant Classic

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #251 on: November 20, 2008, 08:31:25 AM »

The first real shocker of the album. By that I mean it's the first track to go somewhere you never thought GN'R would. I like how the intro sounds like a skip but it's not. It's actually the underlying groove to the whole song. Takes getting used to but again the groove grabs you. Axl's vocals in the verses are much stronger then the chorus, same for the lyrics. More great guitar work both in what you expect and don't (the flamenco work is sooo cool).
4/5

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Journeyman
VIP

Not like you, unlike me...

« Reply #252 on: November 20, 2008, 09:43:13 AM »

Its a great song (weel, all of them are...) it caught me by surprise the first time i lestened to it, its very unique!!

2/7/92 -  Alvalade, Portugal
27/5/06 - RIR, Portugal
30/7/06 - Wembley Arena, London
6/10/10 - Meo Arena, Portugal
7/5/16 - AXL/DC Algés, Portugal
2/6/17 - Algés, Portugal
5/6/22 - Algés, Portug
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #253 on: November 20, 2008, 09:46:45 AM »

Forgot to mention; LOVE the "la la la" part.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
fangbutt
Opening Act

« Reply #254 on: November 20, 2008, 11:01:13 AM »

woah, cool song  Cheesy would be cool to have an instrumental version of this one
The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #255 on: November 20, 2008, 11:02:33 AM »

The "new" beginning intro to this song must have been added on recently...it certainly wasn't in the movie "Body of Lies"...

<i>Double Talkin' Jive Motherfucker</i>
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #256 on: November 20, 2008, 12:48:17 PM »

If the World is probably one of the best tracks on CD, if only for being so out of left field. But it's a tight tune.

Oh and the level some of you go to split hairs astounds me. Here is a good metric for how to determine songwriting: If you strip it down to it's most basic level (ie: acoustic guitar and vocal, or piano and vocal) does it still stand up as a song with the same intent and emotion? For example: Smoke on the water without it's signature riff? Not a chance, Blackmore gets a credit. Estranged with just piano and vocal? Still works, no credit for Slash. His solos and parts are really nice, but they aren't the defining part of the song they are sugar on top. David Gilmour didn't get credits for plenty of Floyd tunes that contain what are considered signature Gilmour guitar solos. It's about the song, and anything you can take out of a song without the song itself breaking down are not integral (ie: worth crediting) parts.

I suspect that If The World is Axl's words, and Pittman's music (ie: initial chord progressions, piano parts), while it may not be as exciting without those guitars you could take everything but the vocal and Pitman's chords away and it would still function as the same song.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #257 on: November 20, 2008, 01:02:53 PM »

I LOVE YOU MOTHERFUCKERS!!! I thought this was one of the songs people seemed to like least and I FUCKING LOVE IT! I hope Axl does more Funky Tripped out shit in the future. So awesome! Goddamn I love If The World, always have, and always will. Its hard to shake from my mind.

Seriously people Chinese Democracy fucking rules.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Mechanical-Worm
« Reply #258 on: November 20, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »

Love this track, it was a real suprise for me to hear such a song, even when it leaked in demo form back in June.

I'm still loving the track, even more in the final product.
St_Jimmyuk
VIP

Im Right next door to hell...

« Reply #259 on: November 20, 2008, 04:12:59 PM »

love it Smiley then again have not heard a song yet (heard up till scraped) that i have not loved.
Does not sound too different from the leak to me might be myspace's quality, love the quiet bit in the middle though

- They call me Lenny...... But that's not my name, that's not my name.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: