Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 05:23:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  USA Today: Candidate for Career Transition: Axl Rose
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: USA Today: Candidate for Career Transition: Axl Rose  (Read 24165 times)
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2008, 01:42:39 PM »

So when there's a new album out, I listen to it and enjoy it. I don't look for things that are "wrong", like some critic.

/jarmo

It's not about listening to as song as a critic. It's simply about listening to a song and deciding what it does for me. Do I like it or not? Does it click with me?

You want to buy the album without ever hearing a note, that's fine Jarmo. I don't criticize your decision to do so. But I'm different. Yes, I am a GN'R fan but I'm not going to go buy the album not hearing any of the songs first. What enjoyment will I get if I buy the album and there's only one or two songs I like? It will be a waste of my money and I will not do that. And that does not make me any less of a fan.

Sure, GN'R want their money just like every one else. But I also want what I spend my money on to be worth it.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
ebarry51
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2008, 01:44:20 PM »

I don't think GN'R should be responsible for you getting to eat and drink.

Hey, the economy is rough right now.     :-)
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2008, 01:45:31 PM »

So when there's a new album out, I listen to it and enjoy it. I don't look for things that are "wrong", like some critic.

/jarmo

It's not about listening to as song as a critic. It's simply about listening to a song and deciding what it does for me. Do I like it or not? Does it click with me?

You want to buy the album without ever hearing a note, that's fine Jarmo. I don't criticize your decision to do so. But I'm different. Yes, I am a GN'R fan but I'm not going to go buy the album not hearing any of the songs first. What enjoyment will I get if I buy the album and there's only one or two songs I like? It will be a waste of my money and I will not do that. And that does not make me any less of a fan.

Sure, GN'R want their money just like every one else. But I also want what I spend my money on to be worth it.

i often listen to records in the recordstore.. I understand your view. But some cd`s, i really dont need to listen to first. Because i trust them so much. But i love buying cds anyway
 hihi

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2008, 01:50:56 PM »

What enjoyment will I get if I buy the album and there's only one or two songs I like? It will be a waste of my money and I will not do that. And that does not make me any less of a fan.

So basically you have no faith that the band can produce material that is up to your standards.

It's the same with going to concerts. If one of my favorite bands play a show, I don't need to know what songs they play or whatever. I'm gonna go see the concert if I can help it.  hihi

Regarding GN'R. Spending $10 on a cd. What a loss.

Divide it by all the times you've wished there was a new album out and it's not gonna hurt you as much....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2008, 01:56:23 PM »

there is a handful of artists whose albums i buy without needing to hear a single note, with gnr being obviously one of them.

however that does not mean i will like all of the songs on these albums...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 01:58:09 PM by greekmule » Logged

homo homini lupus...
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2008, 02:04:41 PM »

So basically you have no faith that the band can produce material that is up to your standards.

/jarmo

From some of the material I've heard so far, given that it has supposedly only been "rough copies," I'll say that I'm quite unsure at this point. And yes, for me it has to be up to "my standards" cause I'm the one purchasing the album. They want to give away the album for free, than go right ahead. But that's not going to happen. Like I said before it goes back to liking something and not liking something. Wanting to spend your money on something and not wanting to spend your money on something.

I could be wrong, but it seems like you take offense that a fan would not just rush out and buy a GN'R album without ever hearing a single note or not buy the album cause the majority of the material was not any good regardless of the price. Am I completely wrong Jarmo?

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Jaakko
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2008, 02:08:21 PM »

November 25 would be great...my baby boy is due that day!

Congratulations, my boy is coming October 24th !

I don't think it's fair to compare Shackler to Oh my god. Nine years ago there was not much talk about GNR, public hadn't quite realised what was missing from music-world... Remember that Live Era also wasn't a success. Also, for example, you couldn't find easily GNR-clothes and stuff.

Now it really is different: seems that people have "approved" the bands legacy and lots of people are curious in a positive way of Chinese Democracy. It might not have been as big in 2000, who knows.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2008, 02:13:12 PM »

I could be wrong, but it seems like you take offense that a fan would not just rush out and buy a GN'R album without ever hearing a single note or not buy the album cause the majority of the material was not any good regardless of the price. Am I completely wrong Jarmo?

I am a bit surprised because what I consider a fan seems to be so different to what many of you consider a fan.

Seems like being a fan to you is somebody who enjoys listening to an artist, but doesn't necessarily mean you support the artist by buying his/her music and/or concert tickets.

Compare it to sports. You have your team that you support through thick and thin. You might also like some other team, but not in the same way.

I would say you're a fan of team #1....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GeraldFord
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2008, 02:17:42 PM »

I wonder where USA Today got the 11/25 date from...?
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2008, 02:26:19 PM »

I wonder where USA Today got the 11/25 date from...?

maybe they pulled it out of Rolling Stone magazines ass?  I know thats where R.S used to get their "C.D release dates"

i wont believe anything about a release date till I see it on this site or on gunsnroses.com...In the meantime im am thrilled about "Shacklers Revenge" coming out this weekend..  peace
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2008, 02:26:47 PM »

I am a bit surprised because what I consider a fan seems to be so different to what many of you consider a fan.

Seems like being a fan to you is somebody who enjoys listening to an artist, but doesn't necessarily mean you support the artist by buying his/her music and/or concert tickets.

Compare it to sports. You have your team that you support through thick and thin. You might also like some other team, but not in the same way.

I would say you're a fan of team #1....

/jarmo

If a band doesn't put out material I enjoy than your right, I'm not going to buy an album just to support the band financially. I'm not going to go in the direction as if I'm blindfolded. Does that mean I now don't support the band? Financially, on this occasion I guess you could say yes. But I am still a fan of the band and when/if they release material I'll enjoy, than I will support them financially.

I like to think that as fan I can sit back and honestly be disappointed with something and give my reason for my disappointment and still be a fan. That doesn't mean, I'd sit back and trash the band or tell people not to buy the album, or talk crap for the sake of it, so forth and so on. I think GN'R would respect me and my legitimate reason for not buying something they release, rather than just go out and buying something for the heck of it. As you say, to support the band.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2008, 02:35:45 PM »

If a band doesn't put out material I enjoy than your right, I'm not going to buy an album just to support the band financially. I'm not going to go in the direction as if I'm blindfolded. Does that mean I now don't support the band? Financially, on this occasion I guess you could say yes. But I am still a fan of the band and when/if they release material I'll enjoy, than I will support them financially.

I like to think that as fan I can sit back and honestly be disappointed with something and give my reason for my disappointment and still be a fan. That doesn't mean, I'd sit back and trash the band or tell people not to buy the album, or talk crap for the sake of it, so forth and so on. I think GN'R would respect me and my legitimate reason for not buying something they release, rather than just go out and buying something for the heck of it. As you say, to support the band.

At what point do you stop being a fan?

Let's say there's a bunch of songs you think "sucks". How many is too many?

You are aware that you're on a GN'R fan site saying you might not even buy the album you've been "waiting" for....

/jarmo

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2008, 02:46:20 PM »

i bought "St ANger" without hearing any of the singles on it...was I disappointed? sure because it was Metallicas worst album(i still wouldnt say it SUCKS)...but when they were in the process of coming out with "Death Magnetic" i was very excited...because its Metallica...my number 2 band off all time....since the GNR/Metallica tour.....im not just going to give up on them for putting out a record i wasnt thrilled with...Kill em all, Justice, Lighting, Black album, and puppets make if very easy to forgive a record or 2 in a direction im not thrilled with....As a huge fan of a band I support them in whatever artistic direction they go ...This Guns N Roses is NOTHING like the old Guns N Roses...a completely different style of music...but I happen to really enjoy both...i just cant imagine Guns N Roses ever putting out a record and me just being like "no thanks."
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2008, 02:48:15 PM »

At what point do you stop being a fan?

Let's say there's a bunch of songs you think "sucks". How many is too many?

You are aware that you're on a GN'R fan site saying you might not even buy the album you've been "waiting" for....

/jarmo

I'll always enjoy the original bands material and be a fan regardless. For the new lineup, when the music is not appealing to me any more than I may not consider myself a fan like I use to be. Yes, I know that I'm on a GN'R fan site and I know what I'm saying. But in all honestly, what's wrong with being honest about why I may not buy the album I have waited so long for? I think a legitimate reason trumps everything else.

Does every person on this GN'R site have to agree and go along with what you say and what you think a fan is suppose to be? Cause it sure does seem like that Jarmo. I think fans can be critical of the band on a legitimate basis and still be a fan of the past, present, and possible future.

djcleaver
Rocker

deep waits...

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2008, 02:48:48 PM »

It is true that nobody wishes to be a drone following a band out of blind loyalty. And everyone is entitled to their own opinion and nobody has to like anything but?. I would simply say that in my experience there are a few artists whose output is strictly tied to quality rather than quantity with GnR being at the top of the list. We often evaluate a choice based on past experience, Given that GnR has given us nothing but quality from the beginning I would rest assured that CD will be nothing less than the perfection Axl has always been committed to. I don?t need to hear the album or a sample to trust that we will get excellent material.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2008, 02:49:14 PM »

I know I've been looking forward to this album all these years and posting on GnR sites just so I don't end up buying it  rofl
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2008, 03:02:08 PM »

I know I've been looking forward to this album all these years and posting on GnR sites just so I don't end up buying it  rofl

Again, I'm not going to buy something I won't enjoy no matter how long I've been here.

Wouldn't the situation be even more screwed up if someone had been here all these years, waiting for the album, finally buy the album and be very disappointed?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 03:04:15 PM by Drew » Logged

$$$$
VIP

the disrespect in your eye

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2008, 03:08:21 PM »

I dont necessarily think theres anything wrong with you not buying the album if you dont want to....its kinda weird but not wrong.

Id also say you have some mad discipline, I would literally trade my forst born child for this album

BASTARD SON OF A LOADED GUN
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2008, 03:11:56 PM »

Does every person on this GN'R site have to agree and go along with what you say and what you think a fan is suppose to be? Cause it sure does seem like that Jarmo. I think fans can be critical of the band on a legitimate basis and still be a fan of the past, present, and possible future.

If you think this site is for all those who are not interested in the current band and won't buy the album, think again.

I also don't wanna have a site for a bunch of killjoys who constantly find reason why things suck.

Being critical is one thing, not being supportive is another.

Wouldn't the situation be even more screwed up if someone had been here all these years, waiting for the album, finally buy the album and be very disappointed?

Why?

You bought the album, listened to it and decided it wasn't for you.

And how are you gonna about the whole process of determining if it's good or not?

If you even suggest doing something illegal, I suggest you logout right away.

/jarmo

Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2008, 03:34:01 PM »

And how are you gonna about the whole process of determining if it's good or not?

If you even suggest doing something illegal, I suggest you logout right away.

/jarmo

Perhaps by hearing the songs played on the radio or listening to the album someone else purchased, they could show up in a movie, maybe even see a video. There are a lot of ways Jarmo. Legal ways. But you don't want to see it that way. You jump to conclusions like doing something illegal.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: