Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 02:14:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Blogger arrested, accused of posting 9 unreleased Guns N' Roses songs
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blogger arrested, accused of posting 9 unreleased Guns N' Roses songs  (Read 192691 times)
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #800 on: October 30, 2008, 06:24:11 PM »

I am torn on the amount of harm they do to a band, any band.  If the music is good then I think the harm is minimal.  It can create a buzz and fuel sales.  But if the songs sucked then there could be great damage.

Ok.

So here's a scenario:

An album is coming out in a few months. Tracks from it leak online today.

Many people listen to them without paying.

The artist has no control over what gets heard, how and when.

Maybe he/she had a plan to release one song ahead of the album's release, maybe there were other plans.

No, everything is pretty much wasted.

Some of the surprises are no longer surprises. People have heard the tracks.

Did I mention nobody paid to hear the songs?

If artists want to use the Internet to promote their music, they often do so. There's web sites, Myspace, Youtube and all kinds of outlets for that.

A lot of them put songs on their Myspace pages before the albums are out. But the difference is, they get to choose what songs and when.

Not some leaker.

/jarmo

The whole leaking-filesharing-torrenting thing has to me "two faces"... There's the leaking of finished products and unfinished products.

I have sympathy for the bands/artists that have their material leaked online before the songs are "complete". Imagine you are a famous, well respected painter, and someone breaks into your house and steals the painting you're working on and distribute it around the world saying "hey! look at this!! This is Picasso's new painting!!"  As an artist I would hate if that happened.... I would go: "what are you guys talking about?! This not the finished painting!!"

But If a new finished product got around the world and people loved it! The artist should (in a world where art isn't big buisness) be happy about that!

If an artist takes action on the leaking of FINISHED products, then it's all about the money, there's no way around it....

When it comes to the GN'R-leaks we've had over the past years, I believe most of us have listened to them and thought: "wow, this sounds amazing, can't wait to hear the finished product". And since we've been starved for such a long time we couldn't help ourselvs!!

The filesharing/torrenting-technology  is here to stay! There is no question about that anymore! So the artists, managers, money- and marketing people in the buisness should really stop trying to fight it, and rather work WITH it!!

I use the technology to listen to newly or soon to be released albums, to determin if it's worth having in my collection. It's just easier then driving 30 min to the nearest recordstore and listen to it. That way, I know when I buy an album, I know it's worth having in my collection.

It's been documented that the people who download music "illegally" the most, are also the people who buy most CD's. So the people their're fighting is in fact their best customers. The technology has only given us the tool to determin the great albums from the albums with one or two good songs!

Stavanger-rock-city!!
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #801 on: October 30, 2008, 06:59:09 PM »

I wonder if this will be a landmark case in the industry?  You have to think that the piracy issue will have to be solved sooner or later.  Who will win, the pirates or the labels?  I say labels as some artists choose to give their music away.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #802 on: October 30, 2008, 08:22:16 PM »

All of the stuff had been available for download for 8 years?  So songs in live version yes, but as far I recall studio demos first leaked in 2006, not counting the Piazza IRS leak.

I was talking about live versions too.  Madagascar, Chinese Democracy, The Blues, Rhiad were all available since early 2001 in live versions...The others since 2006 minus "if the world" and "untitled".....Thats why i dont think Axl's hand was "forced."  There were only 2 tracks revealed that have not been heard somewhere before...

tat2d1
Opening Act

i don't give a fuck

« Reply #803 on: October 30, 2008, 09:44:29 PM »

I see his charges have been reduced to a misdemeanor. Probably because they knew they couldn't get a conviction on the felony charges.

Once there was this rock n roll band rollin' on the streets. Time went by and it became a joke. They just needed more and more fulfilling,uh huh. Time went by, it all went up in smoke.....
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #804 on: October 31, 2008, 07:04:40 AM »

I see his charges have been reduced to a misdemeanor. Probably because they knew they couldn't get a conviction on the felony charges.

Or he helps them find the original source....

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
dub05
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #805 on: October 31, 2008, 07:09:48 AM »

I would bet my life on the fact they already know the source .

Suspended sentence i bet.
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #806 on: October 31, 2008, 07:25:14 AM »

and what happened with guy?
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #807 on: October 31, 2008, 04:59:37 PM »

does anyone know if Axl himself reduced the charges? My local radio station this morning said that Axl reduced the charges and was offering a reward to anyone who comes foward with information about who in the higher ups of Universal helped with the leaks

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Olorin
« Reply #808 on: October 31, 2008, 05:04:58 PM »

Sounds like speculation, it wasnt Axl who went after him, it was the record company. But I do think it is a good opportunity for Axl to get some good publicity if this guy was dealt with leniently.

If Skwrel gets 5 years you know who the backlash will be aimed at no
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #809 on: October 31, 2008, 05:24:58 PM »

yea they probably mis read an article but they said that Axl was more concerned about how Skwrel obtained the tracks and that is why he lessened the charges....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #810 on: October 31, 2008, 06:04:30 PM »

Cogill's attorney, David Kaloyanides, tells E! News that the feds have now reduced the felony count to a misdemeanor, which carries a maximum one-year prison term.

"Discussions are always ongoing, but both sides are a lot more flexible now," he said. "Hopefully, we'll be able to come to a satisfactory resolution."

Even if Cogill's found guilty, as a first-time offender he would likely receive probation instead of prison, per his lawyer.

Cogill, currently free on $100,000 bail, has so far not revealed where he came across the tracks.

No word if he's willing to spill the beans. A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office was not immediately available for comment.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b66677_alleged_guns_roses_leaker_catches_break.html

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #811 on: November 10, 2008, 03:42:56 PM »

Guns N' Roses Uploader to Plead Guilty
By David Kravets EmailNovember 10, 2008 | 4:14:30 PM

The Los Angeles man arrested on accusations he uploaded nine pre-released Guns N' Roses songs from the upcoming Chinese Democracy album has agreed to plead guilty to one federal count of copyright infringement as part of a deal, the authorities said Monday.

"Yes. There is a plea deal," (.pdf) Los Angeles federal prosecutor Craig Missakian said in a telephone interview.

Cogill, who the FBI said confessed to uploading the nine songs last summer to his music site, antiquiet, is scheduled to enter a plea Dec. 8. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Still, the authorities reduced the charges from a felony to a misdemeanor last month ? a move that exposes him from five years to a maximum one-year prison term. Because of an acceptance of responsibility and the defendant's lack of a criminal record, the 27-year-old Cogill is likely to receive substantially less time, if any.

"His sentence is up to a judge," Missakian said.

Cogill's attorney, David Kaloyanides, was not immediately available for comment. It was not known whether the 27-year-old Cogill, as part of the deal, must acknowledge where he obtained the nine tracks he is accused of uploading June 18.

The Recording Industry Association of America brought the case to the FBI's attention, according to court records.

Chinese Democracy, a 14-track album, is set to debut next month.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/11/guns-n-roses-up.html

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #812 on: November 10, 2008, 03:45:18 PM »

If I were the one who gave this dude those tracks, I'd be  pissing myself right now.

He obviously turned state's evidence to get that deal.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
TWT
Rocker

GNR's next lead guitarist

« Reply #813 on: November 10, 2008, 03:46:03 PM »

I wonder if intends to apply for his free Dr Pepper?
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #814 on: November 10, 2008, 03:46:08 PM »

Glad everyone can move on from this soon.  Will be interesting though to hear who his source was, if we indeed find out.  

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
AC
Rocker

« Reply #815 on: November 10, 2008, 04:22:08 PM »

Glad everyone can move on from this soon.  Will be interesting though to hear who his source was, if we indeed find out.  

No doubt, especially if it's someone close to the band, studio, processing plant, etc.

a.

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
SLCPUNK
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #816 on: November 10, 2008, 04:25:59 PM »

He'll get probation and a big fine.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 01:47:14 PM by Republican Jesus » Logged

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

"If you think I am Jmack, you are a moron.  I am his BFFL.  We type nothing alike and I am much younger."
thomas
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #817 on: November 11, 2008, 01:12:08 PM »

Chinese Democracy? Leaker Changes Plea to Guilty
11/11/08, 9:02 am EST

The blogger who leaked nine songs from Guns N? Roses? Chinese Democracy has agreed to change his plea to guilty in a deal that will reduce the charges against him to a single federal count of copyright infringement, a Los Angeles prosecutor said. Under the deal, Kevin Cogill, the writer for the website Antiquiet who leaked the tracks back in June, will only face a maximum of one year in prison. Whether or not Cogill must reveal his source for the leaks as part of the deal has not been revealed. The plea bargain will bring to an end a tumultuous six months for Cogill. Following a visit from the FBI, Cogill told Rock Daily ?If legal proceedings come my way, I?ll face them 100 percent.? ?I?m not afraid of that. I did what I did, and I?ll face the music if I have to.? Chinese Democracy will finally be released in its finished form on November 23rd.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/11/11/chinese-democracy-leaker-changes-plea-to-guilty/
themsbreaks
Opening Act

« Reply #818 on: November 11, 2008, 09:58:07 PM »

I don't like this.

Imo, ideally, all "information", music included, should be free to all, for the following reason:  If you "give" something like music away - you still have it.  Unlike say...a loaf of bread or something.  If someone "steals" your loaf of bread, you've lost your loaf of bread and are now at a disadvantage.  But if someone "steals" a song you've written, and puts it on the internet, you still have it.

At the same time though, I totally agree that musicians (and authors etc.) should have the right to do whatever they want with their creation's.  They should be in control of what happens with their creation's.

The problem I think, is that we've moved things into the realm of "money/commerce" that shouldn't be there in the first place.

It used to be that printing a book cost money.  But now, anybody with a computer can "publish" anything they want and "put it out" to an audience of billions, for ZERO cost.  This is great.  Same thing with music.  Technology has come along, and allowed us to do things that used to cost a lot of money and labour (printing books, pressing albums, etc), for next to nothing.

cybercurves
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #819 on: November 11, 2008, 10:11:40 PM »

This wasn't about stealing - Copyright Infringement is a Federal Offense.  The guy was responsible for thousands of copies ending up in everybody's hands without permission from the Copyright Holder. 

cybercurves
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 49 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: