Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 11:38:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228156 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Blogger arrested, accused of posting 9 unreleased Guns N' Roses songs
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blogger arrested, accused of posting 9 unreleased Guns N' Roses songs  (Read 181162 times)
snead hearn
Rocker

LORD OF THE BARNYARD

« Reply #260 on: August 27, 2008, 11:48:29 PM »

This case will get thrown out, trust me.  More tax payers dollars wasted on stupid shit that would all be prevented if one thing happened.  RELEASE THE ALBUM.

Many of you always keep saying that all albums leak.

Especially the ones that are going to be released soon.

Your solution don't do shit in this case.

Better luck next time.

At the same time, for the band to start firing off FBI agents and stuff like this, they should at least have done some formal dilligence on their side.

The band isn't the RIAA.

/jarmo

Correct. But the "band" on behalf of their legal team, started the preliminary injunctions with the cease and desist orders to Skewrl, as stated in the affadavit. Therefore, how is that the FBI Cyber Crime Squad is looking into this? You think someone dropped a dime and told them? Maybe the ghost of J. Edgar Hoover was over at Axl's house.

May 9, 1988 Felt Forum, NYC
December 5, 2002 Madison Square Garden, NYC
May 17, 2006 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
Gunsguy
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #261 on: August 27, 2008, 11:53:23 PM »

ANy lawyer could get this man off, watch you'll see, there are so many hole sin this case

GUnsguy
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #262 on: August 28, 2008, 12:11:15 AM »

ANy lawyer could get this man off, watch you'll see, there are so many hole sin this case

GUnsguy

Holes? He ADMITTED to have uploaded nine tracks that he doesn't own to his web site.

Do you think the FBI are doing this for fun?

Correct. But the "band" on behalf of their legal team, started the preliminary injunctions with the cease and desist orders to Skewrl, as stated in the affadavit. Therefore, how is that the FBI Cyber Crime Squad is looking into this? You think someone dropped a dime and told them? Maybe the ghost of J. Edgar Hoover was over at Axl's house.

Did you ever think that you should ask the record company?

Who does the RIAA represent?

So the band's legal team asked him to take down the songs. That's normal.

It doesn't say the band's legal team sent the FBI after him now does it?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #263 on: August 28, 2008, 12:15:52 AM »

this guy must have contacts..
the only way to find unrealased gnr songs
is from someone close to the band (im not saying fernando)

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #264 on: August 28, 2008, 12:25:19 AM »

From the Los Angeles Times...

For musicians, TV networks or movie studios, there is probably nothing worse than seeing their work available illegally online before it has even been released. The movie industry has put elaborate ...

... and largely effective security measures in place to make sure that doesn't happen.

And in recent years, pre-release pirates have faced the threat of prison time, not just fines, thanks to a new federal copyright law. People may not have worried about risking three years in prison for posting some songs that each retail for 99 cents, but they may want to start worrying now.

Cogill, who is appearing today in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, is the first to be charged under the new federal statute in the West, said Kathy Leodler, director of investigations for the RIAA's Western region office in L.A. There have been others nationally, including two fans of singer Ryan Adams.

"The arrest of Kevin Cogill is great for the recording industry related to our online investigations. We are very pleased with the FBI's interest and the U.S. attorney's office's aggressiveness in pursuing this investigation," Leodler said. "We think we'll see more and more of these pre-release cases."

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #265 on: August 28, 2008, 12:29:57 AM »

This seems like a big scare tactic from the record company.  I honestly don't think GNR had a lot to do with this.  It just happens to be their album...which happens to be a high profile "album."  If someone stole the new Rise Against CD...there would be very little waves.  But this is one of the most talked about albums in the past decade.  Even my parents have heard about it.  By sending a bunch of Feds to Kevin's house, it sends a huge message to bloggers everywhere that the record labels mean business and will go after you.  Chances are they want to make a big show with Kevin to get him to reveal who leaked the tracks so they can stop future incidents like this from happening.

I doubt Axl is behind pushing the feds on this kid.  I'm sure he's pissed about the leaks.  And he should be.  But here's soemthing to remember about the last set of leaks.  Those were songs that were still being worked on by the GNR/Axl camp.  The record label didn't have an album yet. When they leaked...there was not legal prosecution...just very stern letters.  Axl even joked about it in concert.  

But now that the songs are in the hands of the record label, the Feds get called in.  This caliber of incident has to have been pushed by the record label.

BTW, bands are allowed to copyright songs without their titles being made public until there is a formal release of the song.  It's to protect the privacy of the songwriter.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #266 on: August 28, 2008, 12:43:14 AM »

The Wall Street Journal article is pretty well detailed.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121989199992378827.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #267 on: August 28, 2008, 12:43:52 AM »

And in recent years, pre-release pirates have faced the threat of prison time, not just fines, thanks to a new federal copyright law. People may not have worried about risking three years in prison for posting some songs that each retail for 99 cents, but they may want to start worrying now.

Might explain why they couldn't do anything in 2003.

As I've pointed out several times, different cases, different time etc etc.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #268 on: August 28, 2008, 01:00:43 AM »

From the Los Angeles Times...

For musicians, TV networks or movie studios, there is probably nothing worse than seeing their work available illegally online before it has even been released. The movie industry has put elaborate ...

... and largely effective security measures in place to make sure that doesn't happen.

Cogill, who is appearing today in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, is the first to be charged under the new federal statute in the West, said Kathy Leodler, director of investigations for the RIAA's Western region office in L.A. There have been others nationally, including two fans of singer Ryan Adams.

"The arrest of Kevin Cogill is great for the recording industry related to our online investigations. We are very pleased with the FBI's interest and the U.S. attorney's office's aggressiveness in pursuing this investigation," Leodler said. "We think we'll see more and more of these pre-release cases."

This only further proves that it was the RIAA who tipped off the FBI.  Thanks for posting.

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #269 on: August 28, 2008, 01:03:45 AM »

What Skwerl did was illegal under the 2005 Federal Entertainment and Copyright Act. Here is the specific relevant section of the act and this is why it's different than what Eddie Trunk did, although I'm sure some will still believe otherwise:

In general.--Any person who willfully infringes a
copyright shall be punished as provided under section 2319 of
title 18, if the infringement was committed--

? by the distribution of a work being prepared
for commercial distribution, by making it available on a
computer network accessible to members of the public, if
such person knew or should have known that the work was
intended for commercial distribution.

There is nothing in the Act, and I read the whole thing, that Skwerl was in violation of that pertains to playing the songs on-air, so the Eddie Trunk comparison is null and void.

Ali
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #270 on: August 28, 2008, 01:15:16 AM »

http://www.gunsnroses.com/

August 27, 2008

BLOGGER ARRESTED FOR LEAKING 9 GN'R SONGS

GunsNRoses.com

According to multiple news reports, a blogger suspected of posting songs on the Internet from the forthcoming Guns N' Roses album Chinese Democracy was arrested Wednesday and appeared in court, where his bail was set at $10,000. FBI agents arrested 27-year-old Kevin Cogill on suspicion of violating federal copyright laws by posting nine unreleased Guns N' Roses songs in June. According to an arrest affidavit, Cogill admitted to FBI agents that he leaked the songs.

"Guns N' Roses representatives have been made aware of the arrests and are leaving the matter to the authorities," said band spokesman Larry Solters.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Fernando
The REAL Fernando
Rocker

Adz sucks irl.

« Reply #271 on: August 28, 2008, 01:15:22 AM »

I just woke up, what did I miss?

Narcissism has a lot to do with selfishness and deep need for adoration, not giving a fuck for others and promoting themselves at the expense of others often publicly.
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #272 on: August 28, 2008, 01:19:30 AM »

I am glad they addressed it. I would be a hypocrite to say I didnt DL and listen to the tunes, .As I know I did.

But I will say I also know and understand, what the guy did was and is Copyright infringement. And he did break the law. I have no idea how this case will eventually go, but seeing that it isn't Axl and the band per say being the ones going after the guy, makes me a bit more relieved, but I also know when material is released over to "the company", the FBI and RIAA, are then the ones who enforce these laws, and are bound to.

I don't wish the guy bad, I do believe and respect laws, so all I can say is hope they aren't to harsh on the guy.

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #273 on: August 28, 2008, 01:28:46 AM »

I guess this means the album really is coming soon.  Is this some SICK way of promoting it by the record company?
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #274 on: August 28, 2008, 01:53:37 AM »

August 27, 2008

GunsNRoses.com

According to multiple news reports, a blogger suspected of posting songs on the Internet from the forthcoming Guns N' Roses album Chinese Democracy was arrested Wednesday and appeared in court, where his bail was set at $10,000. FBI agents arrested 27-year-old Kevin Cogill on suspicion of violating federal copyright laws by posting nine unreleased Guns N' Roses songs in June. According to an arrest affidavit, Cogill admitted to FBI agents that he leaked the songs.

"Guns N' Roses representatives have been made aware of the arrests and are leaving the matter to the authorities," said band spokesman Larry Solters.

I can't be bothered to read 14 pages of this shit, so I don't really know what's been said, before.  But, I just want to say that this is BS.  Certainly, the "feds" have more important things to think about and deal with, than this.  Plus, there have been leaks before...why was this poor sucker targeted and made an example of?  Why? 

This is serious shit he's dealing with and it's not funny.   I fully realize why you don't post leaks or download free movies, music, etc. - although many of us have probably done just that, and any one of us could be targeted at any time.     

lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #275 on: August 28, 2008, 01:55:25 AM »

I just woke up, what did I miss?
I guess this means the album really is coming soon.  Is this some SICK way of promoting it by the record company?

Oh come, on...both of you!
Ali
Legend

« Reply #276 on: August 28, 2008, 02:00:49 AM »

August 27, 2008

GunsNRoses.com

I can't be bothered to read 14 pages of this shit, so I don't really know what's been said, before.  But, I just want to say that this is BS.  Certainly, the "feds" have more important things to think about and deal with, than this.  Plus, there have been leaks before...why was this poor sucker targeted and made an example of?  Why? 

This is serious shit he's dealing with and it's not funny.   I fully realize why you don't post leaks or download free movies, music, etc. - although many of us have probably done just that, and any one of us could be targeted at any time.     

Just because the Feds were pursuing this, that doesn't mean that they weren't pursuing more serious crimes.  They have different divisions for different crimes.  And, this guy made himself an easy target.

Ali
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #277 on: August 28, 2008, 02:05:27 AM »

Well I read alot about claims of "stealing" stealing something is different than this cleary, if I steal something its no longer there...

what stupid fucking logic

i can't believe some of you.

stealing is stealing whether its a physical product that is gone or a song that is unreleased.   stop trying to justify this, its sick.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #278 on: August 28, 2008, 02:09:51 AM »

I seriously can't believe how many people are bitching about this.

just because its relatively easy to steal copyrighted content on the internet does not make it any different then going into a store and stealing it.  its the same thing. 

if you support the band, you will support them in bringing the leakers to justice and getting the album out and letting us buy it and listen to it the way they intended.
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #279 on: August 28, 2008, 02:35:11 AM »

I don't give a shit about leaks.  I'd rather buy the album, and hear what was finally, really released.  The done and real product.

Yes, posting leaks is stealing.  So is freely downloading music and movies, as well as copying.  Any one of us.....

I do understand the whole premise behind this.  I just don't understand why this guy has been made an example of, when many have done it before - and leaks of GnR have been posted before. 

This has nothing to do with "supporting the band".  Leaks are posted all the time, not just by GnR.  And there's more important things, in life, to deal with than GnR leaks...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 49 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: