Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 02:36:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Blogger arrested, accused of posting 9 unreleased Guns N' Roses songs
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blogger arrested, accused of posting 9 unreleased Guns N' Roses songs  (Read 180634 times)
mdttkk
Rocker

« Reply #160 on: August 27, 2008, 08:21:07 PM »

I hope they take every penny from that that guy.  Anyone who thinks that this isn't right (which seems to be quite the case on mygnr) is clearly an idiot.  Your rooting for Chinese Democracy and GNR to do well yet you are upset that the album is not leaked out on the internet?  They need to do everything they can to prevent it from getting leaked.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #161 on: August 27, 2008, 08:24:42 PM »

I just wanted to make something clear for people like JB who seem to confuse piracy and stealing:

Anyway, i'm sure jarmo has demo versions of UYI songs. I have some and I downloaded them right from this site. I know those are also unreleased songs the band didn't want people to hear. Does that makes us criminals also?

don't be stupid.   its a form of theft.
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2008, 08:26:58 PM »

i worked on the Nader campaign in 2001...  and this current GNR situation reminds me of a t-shirt sold during the Nader campaign.

in the background, there were two dinosaurs (representing the republican and democratic parties) who were eating from buckets of dollar bills, and in the foreground was ralph nader character with a sign reading "NOT FOR SALE."

LOL

the thing is, Universal and GNR could reap millions of dollars if they would stop fighting with the consumers.

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #163 on: August 27, 2008, 08:28:05 PM »

there is no way GNR or universal can claim they've been hurt by the leaks...  all they've done is provide the hype and word-of-mouth that this band cannot figure out how to do.

this is turning into a Lars vs. Napster type thing, which I think will be very negative for the band.

GNR and Universal need to realize that the market has changed COMPLETELY since the release of TSI, and there is nothing they can do about it.  They can choose to embrace it ala radiohead and nin (among many others), or they can try the decade-old (and failed) approach of Lars.....  we've been through all of this before.  I see this as just one more mistake in the legend of CD.

GnR didn't bring the FBI into it.  The RIAA did.  Read the FBI report

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0827082gnr1.html
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #164 on: August 27, 2008, 08:30:06 PM »

there is no way GNR or universal can claim they've been hurt by the leaks...  

Yeah, that's the conclusion you come up with if you don't have to think a few minutes.

Consider the fact that once tracks are leaked, you have to try to do something about the situation that has arisen.

Focus goes from whatever you were doing into dealing with the leaks.

Can you put a price on that? Maybe not.

It's like having somebody break into your home. Maybe the insurance covers the value of the stereo that was stolen, but does it cover the time you spent cleaning up and dealing with shit?

But this isn't about money at the moment.

Just like speeding on the highway isn't about money. It's about somebody knowingly breaking the law, getting caught and having to deal with the consequences of his actions.

"Guns N' Roses representatives have been made aware of the arrests and are leaving the matter to the authorities," said Larry Solters, the band's spokesman.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 08:31:37 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2008, 08:30:43 PM »

The RIAA is a conglomeration of media companies, including Universal.

it could have been GNR or it could have been universal...  perhaps GNR argued against pressing charges... either way, the RIAA is acting on behalf of Universal and GNR.

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #166 on: August 27, 2008, 08:44:32 PM »

Metal Sludge has done the same thing this guy did yet they didn't have this shit happen to them .

as for as listen to stuff , well regardless of the amount you listened to you still did listen too.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
The Chad Cometh
Mike Stewart is God
VIP

Don't think Axl! Makes my dick itch!

« Reply #167 on: August 27, 2008, 08:46:39 PM »

I, for once, have absolutely no problem saying that I've been getting to know many bands by this mean... bands I would have never get to know without the internet. Bands I ended up seeing live, adding money for them, something impossible to happen without me downloading their album.

if on the other hand i were a record exec i would prefer the positive buzz the leaks created that the negative buzz this movement will induce.

QFT!

On a side note, I have never heard the latest leaks, though not for a lack of trying ha ha ha.

I was living to the best of my ability, now I'm living in correctional facility
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #168 on: August 27, 2008, 08:49:42 PM »

Metal Sludge has done the same thing this guy did yet they didn't have this shit happen to them .

I'm quoting my own post from earlier because it seems like some of you are either too lazy to read the older posts or don't give a shit, you just want to whine:

For those of you who have trouble seeing differences between different cases, think of the following:

- What person would you go after: The kid who stole a candy bar from the local 7-Eleven or the guy who stole a truck load of candy bars?

- Would the fact that one person's actions might've caused more damage than the other matter?

- Would the number of songs and the possible spreading of said songs be a concern?

If you think all these cases are the same, then basically you think stealing a candy bar is equal to robbing a bank.

All cases of leaking music are stealing and violating copyright laws. But there are differences.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Leddy
Rocker

Asphinctersayswhat?

« Reply #169 on: August 27, 2008, 08:52:18 PM »

"Guns N' Roses representatives have been made aware of the arrests and are leaving the matter to the authorities," said Larry Solters, the band's spokesman.

/jarmo

Is the plural a typo?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #170 on: August 27, 2008, 08:53:32 PM »

Well, the problem is, if unfinished rough versions leak and people hear songs that aren't in their intended form. There are some that u can tell are demos and one can't judge the product on that and first impressions are everything and they don't want their songs judged and listened to in that form. I understand completely.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #171 on: August 27, 2008, 08:56:28 PM »

Sir they both  have  were offering leaked stuff. Regardless of how you want to or are told how to spin it.

Why only go after a little dude who doesn't have a name for shit . or right cause he doesn't have any sorta name recognition.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #172 on: August 27, 2008, 09:02:43 PM »

Still think this guy gets what he deserves for trying to be E Famous.  So did he work at the label and steal it that way?

I'm still not sure how he got a hold of it.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #173 on: August 27, 2008, 09:03:16 PM »

This "news" will not hurt GNR or sales.  Other then maybe a few assholes, who would not buy CD now because they arrested this guy?  Any press is good press and anytime I see Chinese Democracy in major new headlines I get excited.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
fegz
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #174 on: August 27, 2008, 09:05:18 PM »

this is stupid !!!

i'm sat here  waiting fucking years the first time i get to hear one of these song i wanna hear it !!

yeah im gonna buy the album but for fucks sake i was happy i've heard "shacklers revenge" and i fuckin love it but now its gone and i've got to wait again. for how long fuck knows !!!!!!

the new leaks sound amazing, we've waited sooooooooooo long can't we just enjoy the song like any other fan of a certain band can !!!

jesus christ !!!

doh!!

*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2008, 09:08:01 PM »

Still think this guy gets what he deserves for trying to be E Famous.  So did he work at the label and steal it that way?

I'm still not sure how he got a hold of it.

Not saying he shouldn't have repercussions ,but this Fbi arrest is a tad fuckign extrem.

GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #176 on: August 27, 2008, 09:08:52 PM »

IF u DL the leaks, U are just as guilty as this guy.

Looks like the RIAA or FBI don't share this thought right now.

And also, for all the people who say "GN'R are against their fans" might wanna think before posting that thought.

GN'R haven't gone after their fans. The record company decided to do something about these leaked tracks.

/jarmo

As much as I don't want to see this kind to thing start to happen often, I have to say I agree.

The band hasn't come after any fans for downloading. They've hardly even commented on the fact that we have them, and even threw some of the songs into their live shows, which was for OUR benefit. No one else recognized the songs. People looked at me like I was crazy when they saw me singing Better at a show along with the band.

The record company going after a distributor online =/= the fans getting hammered. They haven't gone after the fans yet, and I doubt they will. Most of the people here will purchase the album regardless.

But taking out someone who makes songs available for mass consumption (before the album is released and without permission, which is illegal), this guy is a much more visible and more valuable target to take down. It sends a message, and cuts one of the heads off rather than lopping off toes.

This was inevitable. Tracks floating around the internet don't too much damage, but posting 9 on a blog that gets crashed because of the traffic does. It's like apples and oranges. It doesn't make downloading tracks legal in any sense of the word, but the two situations are night and day here.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 09:16:06 PM by GunnerOne 84 » Logged

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #177 on: August 27, 2008, 09:10:01 PM »

Sir they both  have  were offering leaked stuff. Regardless of how you want to or are told how to spin it.

Why only go after a little dude who doesn't have a name for shit . or right cause he doesn't have any sorta name recognition.

I'm told to spin things? Aren't you delusional.....

The "little dude" upload NINE fucking songs on HIS own web site.

You don't think there's anything illegal about that?

Metal Sludge didn't post nine songs. They didn't post songs when the record company were getting ready to release the album. Eddie Trunk didn't post songs in 2008 on his website.

Why can't you see that there are differences?

What's stopping you?

Not saying he shouldn't have repercussions ,but this Fbi arrest is a tad fuckign extrem.

Well, too bad the FBI have guys who work with copyright violation. Maybe you should write to your congress man about that or something.

/jarmo

*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #178 on: August 27, 2008, 09:13:15 PM »

one song or nine song it's still the same fucking thing.  The amount of counts you commite a crimes doesn't make it worse .

*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #179 on: August 27, 2008, 09:16:31 PM »

Well, too bad the FBI have guys who work with copyright violation. Maybe you should write to your congress man about that or something.

/jarmo

gee thats for the fucking idea.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 49 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: