Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 05:10:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Blogger arrested, accused of posting 9 unreleased Guns N' Roses songs
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blogger arrested, accused of posting 9 unreleased Guns N' Roses songs  (Read 180393 times)
GNRVahland
Rocker

All Quiet on the Western Front

« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2008, 06:15:01 PM »

i thought these songs were demos? universal owns the rights to demo songs? something doesn't sound right with that.

Demos are copyrighted to I think and there must be a stock somewhere (RIAA in the USA ?) where they keep songs and demos. So if you have balls, just sneek in that building and find them (but I think that's illegal and encouraging someone to do that is also illegal so therefore...)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 06:16:56 PM by GNRVahland » Logged
thereisnodanaonlyz
Headliner

Mad Scientist

« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2008, 06:17:07 PM »

I think the whole stealing music thing is needed though. Look at what NIN is doing, Trent encouraged everyone to steal Year Zero and his back catalogue, and that in turn pissed off Universal/Interscope. Interscope /Universal are the bad guys here...

Dude, that's bullshit.  Trent was only "encouraging" people to steal his music to sound cool and separate himself from other artists who want to clamp down on that kind of crap.  You know full well that if record sales of "Year Zero" were down significantly because of theft, he'd not only be pissed he wasn't making money, but Universal could make a case against Reznor for the encouragement.  

Rapture
doooodickiebr
VIP

Police and niggaz...get outta my way!

« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2008, 06:17:20 PM »

jarmo, be honest, on your mother's grave...have you listened to the leaks?

Not any of the ones talked about in this article.

I heard a short snippet here and there in order to validate the clip being GN'R.

But no full songs or enough to form an opinion on the song.

I prefer to be surprised once the album is out. Instead of letting some people who have nothing to do with the album decide when I should hear the music.

/jarmo

are these the same leaks or new ones.  what songs?

Baton Rouge, LA 1992
New Orleans, LA 1992
Biloxi, MS  2002 Cancelled!!!!
Kansas City, MO 2011
New Orleans, LA 2016
Houston, TX 2016
New Orleans, LA 2019
Biloxi, MS 2023
patcooper
VIP

« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2008, 06:28:21 PM »

jarmo, be honest, on your mother's grave...have you listened to the leaks?

Not any of the ones talked about in this article.

I heard a short snippet here and there in order to validate the clip being GN'R.

But no full songs or enough to form an opinion on the song.

I prefer to be surprised once the album is out. Instead of letting some people who have nothing to do with the album decide when I should hear the music.

/jarmo

are these the same leaks or new ones.  what songs?

no new ones. they leaked 2 months ago. it's funny i thought we werent allowed to talk about the leaks here. lol CD must be really close.
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2008, 06:30:46 PM »

GnR Fighting the internet? Well, thats bullshit

- Didnt GnR make it possible for fans on the messageboards to get tickets before others?

- Didnt GnR put out some good quality live stuff on theyr website?

- You can buy ithems from theyr official website?

- Bumblefoot have made lots of Interviews with the fans, so have other members

Just because GnR havent found the right time to release theyr first official song yet, dont mean they are fighting the internet.
What they ARE fighting.. is illegal activity which harm them, both because this may not be the versions they are wanting people to hear
I know lots of hardcore fans will buy copie(S) of CD. But lots of people who heard they leaks, may not do it.. and thats hurting the sale.

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
gearbm95
Opening Act

« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2008, 06:34:20 PM »

I think the whole stealing music thing is needed though. Look at what NIN is doing, Trent encouraged everyone to steal Year Zero and his back catalogue, and that in turn pissed off Universal/Interscope. Interscope /Universal are the bad guys here...

Dude, that's bullshit.  Trent was only "encouraging" people to steal his music to sound cool and separate himself from other artists who want to clamp down on that kind of crap.  You know full well that if record sales of "Year Zero" were down significantly because of theft, he'd not only be pissed he wasn't making money, but Universal could make a case against Reznor for the encouragement.  

Trent came right out and said that NIN sees about 10 "points" per record. Anyone that is in the industry knows that points add up to about roughly 4 cents per record, that means even if Year Zero sells 1,000,000 he sees a grand total of $160,000. Royalties and publishing are seperate but sales alone he would make very little money.

Directly from his mouth...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ5iHaV0dP4
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #126 on: August 27, 2008, 06:38:28 PM »

they (whoever "they" is - i guess indirectly it's universal, but it doesn't seem to be gnr) are NOT going after someone for DOWNLOADING music.

my understanding is that they are going after someone for stealing their property and then making that property available to thousands of other people.

the laws are in place to protect them, so this seems pretty fair to me.

it's confusing to me why so many people are so passionate about defending a criminal. even if you hate record labels, or even if you hate gnr and just come here to be assholes, why defend a criminal???

Did you download or listem to any of the leaks? Do you use torrent or peer 2 peer sites?

It has nothing to do with that. It has to do with someone who posted COPYRIGHTED UNRELEASED material on the internet for the whole world to have. Yes the fucker got what he deserved for doing that.
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #127 on: August 27, 2008, 06:41:14 PM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/08/27/chinese-democracy-leaker-arrested-on-suspicion-of-violating-federal-copyright-law/

Now Rollingstone are writing about it also

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2008, 06:43:35 PM »

Guns N' Roses Internet Tracks Lead To Copyright Arrest - US Attorney

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008

jLawFuel - Special agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigation this morning arrested a Culver City man on charges that he violated federal copyright laws by posting nine songs from Guns N? Roses? unreleased album Chinese Democracy on his website.

Kevin Cogill, who uses the online moniker ?Skwerl,? admitted to investigators that he posted the songs on his website, www.antiquiet.com, according to a criminal complaint.

Cogill, 27, is expected to make his initial court appearance this afternoon in United States District Court in Los Angeles. If Cogill is convicted of the copyright infringement charges, he faces a maximum statutory sentence of three years in federal prison, or five years if proven that he did it for financial gain.

An indictment contains allegations that a defendant has committed a crime. Every defendant is presumed to be innocent until proven guilty.

The investigation into Cogill was conducted by the FBI, which received assistance from the Recording Industry Association of America.

CONTACT: Assistant United States Attorney Craig H. Missakian
Cyber and Intellectual Property Crimes Section

http://lawfuel.com/show-release.asp?ID=19151

The investigation into Cogill was conducted by the FBI, which received assistance from the Recording Industry Association of America.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
thereisnodanaonlyz
Headliner

Mad Scientist

« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2008, 06:45:45 PM »

Trent came right out and said that NIN sees about 10 "points" per record. Anyone that is in the industry knows that points add up to about roughly 4 cents per record, that means even if Year Zero sells 1,000,000 he sees a grand total of $160,000. Royalties and publishing are seperate but sales alone he would make very little money.

Directly from his mouth...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ5iHaV0dP4

Well, I still believe he'd be pissed if lo and behold, the $160,000 sunk to like, $30,000 due to theft of the record.  And again, if true damages were felt as a result of Reznor's words, I'm sure Universal could try to go after him if they believed he caused said damages.  Universal probably didn't care because they know that most people don't want to risk being arrested for things and would just opt to buy the cd (not barring legal downloads online...) instead of trying to sneak it out of a store, unpaid.  If anything, his rant just made him look like more of a "rebel" to his fans.

Rapture
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2008, 06:46:03 PM »

I havent read every post in this thread so If this has been said I apologize

But what a bunch of self righteous Hyprocritical FUCKS we are for condeming this guy.

Take a look at yourself in the mirrror ok......

IF u DL the leaks, U are just as guilty as this guy. If u didn't, bravo and flame a way but if U DL them and sent them to a friend, u are in the same boat as this guy so let's don't go too crazy condemning the guy.

That being said, if someone close to Axl is the one who gave this guy and others the leaks, they are even a bigger piece of shit because they would've been someone Axl trusted and that means they would've been disloyal.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2008, 06:52:44 PM »

IF u DL the leaks, U are just as guilty as this guy.

Looks like the RIAA or FBI don't share this thought right now.

And also, for all the people who say "GN'R are against their fans" might wanna think before posting that thought.

GN'R haven't gone after their fans. The record company decided to do something about these leaked tracks.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2008, 06:56:44 PM »

for him it also depends if these leaks are finalized cd versions or working demos. if they were working demos NOT planed to be released (f.e. cause of song structure, different lyrics, other guitar parts etc.) its some different issue because he simply didnt upload the versions of the upcoming official album, so he wouldnt have leaked (parts of) the "real" album in advance.

also about the "stealing" in this case......congratulation, you got the "easy target", the man who uploaded 9 songs (please recall its absolutely not even proven that he is THE "thief") but its not like you got the demos/songs back, they are still EVERYWHERE! this whole scenario might make musically history in a way - him being the first person in stuff like this and so his future probably isnt holding much of goodness, as mentioned - .....though i seriously have my doubts with this move. in a way they have to "react" but publicitywise for the normal press believers and people who dont follow the history of GN'R that close its "Axl against the fans". Axl and his inner circle don't have the best reputation for communicating, never had, so uhm......the ball is allready coming back!

what seems to work is that concentrating on this "leaker" with that much press and all the worldwide attention, it slows down some other recent problems where not only normal fans seem to be involved...  Wink

Re-Union time, baby!!
destroier
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2008, 06:57:04 PM »

In this case, there is no album to buy, thus there are no sales lost.

But you don't fucking own it. You don't have the right to take something that's not yours and do as you please with it.

That's what they call copyright.

/jarmo

But in order to sue, you must prove injury. There was no loss on the part of the record company and the artist, therefore no grounds for a lawsuit. This is why they had him arrested instead of suing him, which is just going to make the band look bad in everyone's eyes. Metallica's sales suffered after they took a stand against Napster, and I suspect GNR will suffer the same fate. Justified or not, having people arrested over this will not reflect well on the band in the eyes of most consumers.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2008, 06:58:31 PM »

Me, I think it's great news that the record company is taking a stand on behalf of the album.   Good things are coming, I would hope, and soon.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #135 on: August 27, 2008, 07:00:11 PM »

No doubt this dude is fucked and he should be and man, If I were others who did this, I would seriously be out of my  mind with fear.

what's scary is, this guy will probably wear this as a badge of honor and be PROUD that he can be the GNR fan jailed for the leaks.

He is probably in a sick way getting off on the infamy.

I dont see how anyone can hold this against GNR. If u get mad at a band for protecting what is theirs, u aren't a true fan in my opinion.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #136 on: August 27, 2008, 07:01:11 PM »

But in order to sue, you must prove injury.

He wasn't sued. At least not yet.

He broke the law.

Just like it's breaking the law if you drive under the influence, speed in traffic or present a fake I.D.

/jarmo

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2008, 07:13:55 PM »

anyone ever rented or bought a DVD

it says right on the front of the DVD before the previews etc.

FBI

This is protecting under federal copyright law, if u duplicate this or blah blah u can receive 10 years in prison and a 250,000 dollar fine.

gnrpatience
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2008, 07:17:33 PM »

So we all know he is a criminal as the law states that. What if he provides the names of the person(s) who gave him this material, they will be criminals too, then we will know that someone in the camp of GNR is a crminal.

My point is that Axl might have not good people in his camp.

Im sorry for that guy but maybe he deserves it im not the law.

Im happy to know we will have the CD soon!!!!!!!!!!

sandman
Legend

« Reply #139 on: August 27, 2008, 07:20:17 PM »

they (whoever "they" is - i guess indirectly it's universal, but it doesn't seem to be gnr) are NOT going after someone for DOWNLOADING music.

my understanding is that they are going after someone for stealing their property and then making that property available to thousands of other people.

the laws are in place to protect them, so this seems pretty fair to me.

it's confusing to me why so many people are so passionate about defending a criminal. even if you hate record labels, or even if you hate gnr and just come here to be assholes, why defend a criminal???

Did you download or listem to any of the leaks? Do you use torrent or peer 2 peer sites?

damn straight i have the leaks!! someone gave them to me and i couldn't resist. i crank them frequently. they are incredible!

but part of me knows it's not right. that's actually part of the thrill.

but i would never put them on a website for thousands of people to download.

now call me a hypocrite, but i also do 85 on the NJ Parkway when i'm driving to the shore. but if i get pulled over by a cop, how can i argue when the law is clear?

no, i don't use torrent (probably because i'm a little behind the times technology wise). but this situation is different from file-sharing. it's not EXACTLY the same as the whole metallica/napster thing.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 49 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: