Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 11:12:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228124 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Blogger arrested, accused of posting 9 unreleased Guns N' Roses songs
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blogger arrested, accused of posting 9 unreleased Guns N' Roses songs  (Read 180228 times)
gearbm95
Opening Act

« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2008, 05:21:35 PM »

...Keep supporting the major labels, THEY are the reason we haven't seen CD yet. CD has been done but all the bullshit hassle behind the scenes with Universal/Interscope is a joke. I'm honestly surprised the entire record hasn't somehow leaked by now. As soon as it is sent out to manufacture the record will be leaked no doubt, I can't think of a mjaor release that hans't leaked in the past few years.

Universal is just looking for a way to recoup some of the money from this album through this lawsuit. Anyone who thinks that Universal will be able to recoup their money through CD sales is so naive its disgusting.  Coldplay, Foo Fighters, U2, NIN, and Metallica are all on the SAME level as GNR these days, due partly to the decade absence Axl pulled. None of their latest records sold amazing like some people on here think CD will.

Like it or not, when the record is released the die-hards will buy it but there is just so much unknown about this version of GNR to the public that I have a strange feeling most will just pirate the album and give it a listen, if they like it they'll check them out on tour instead of buying the official release. The good news is GNR see 10x more money from touring than record sales.

Allman
The Flying Dutchman
Rocker

Rock N' Roll Jesus

« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2008, 05:23:39 PM »

Well he got his 15 minutes of fame but at a hefty price.

Elvis has left the building
Thank you and goodnight
Allman
The Flying Dutchman
Rocker

Rock N' Roll Jesus

« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2008, 05:25:55 PM »

...Keep supporting the major labels, THEY are the reason we haven't seen CD yet. CD has been done but all the bullshit hassle behind the scenes with Universal/Interscope is a joke. I'm honestly surprised the entire record hasn't somehow leaked by now. As soon as it is sent out to manufacture the record will be leaked no doubt, I can't think of a mjaor release that hans't leaked in the past few years.

Universal is just looking for a way to recoup some of the money from this album through this lawsuit. Anyone who thinks that Universal will be able to recoup their money through CD sales is so naive its disgusting.  Coldplay, Foo Fighters, U2, NIN, and Metallica are all on the SAME level as GNR these days, due partly to the decade absence Axl pulled. None of their latest records sold amazing like some people on here think CD will.

Like it or not, when the record is released the die-hards will buy it but there is just so much unknown about this version of GNR to the public that I have a strange feeling most will just pirate the album and give it a listen, if they like it they'll check them out on tour instead of buying the official release. The good news is GNR see 10x more money from touring than record sales.

Recoup? two words : Greatest Hits,  close to 4 million in the US alone, that's alot these days and money easy made.

Thank you and goodnight
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2008, 05:33:28 PM »

I am glad they arrested this guy.  I know I'm in the minority on this one, but he broke the law, and he should be punished appropriately.
Didn't Eddie Trunk leak a song in '03? How come he was never arrested?

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Allman
The Flying Dutchman
Rocker

Rock N' Roll Jesus

« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2008, 05:35:14 PM »

I am glad they arrested this guy.  I know I'm in the minority on this one, but he broke the law, and he should be punished appropriately.

They went after the source, Trunk wasn't the source in 03.

Thank you and goodnight
zosobob6
Rocker

« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2008, 05:37:59 PM »

im going to put my two cents into this, just cause im bored and have nothing else to do.

do i download tracks/albums from torrent sites...yes.  i use that as a radio really.  and i know alot of others use it as a "radio" as well.  now, where i live i have two rock radio stations, classic rock and modern rock.   its hard to even find new music that is any good out there on the radio.  i think most of us could agree with that.  but then there is the wonderful world of the internet.  if i find a band that looks interesting i find some songs or an album on a torrent site and download it.  if i like it enough, yes...i do BUY it.  sometimes i feel like im the only person in the world who still buys cds.  now if i dont like it, i delete it from my computer.  have i harmed anybody by doing this?Huh  NO.  i have downloaded the all of the GnR leaks, when the full album leaks i will download it as well.  and on the day of the release, i will buy a physical copy of the cd.  hell i bought the NIN new album and it is free...per Trents wishes.  now not everybody does this and yeah, that can be a problem.  people do want stuff for free.

onto this guy who put the songs on his blog.  i dont think he stole it from someone.  maybe he did, i dont really know.  but im going to go out on a limb and say he recieved it from someone.  which is still wrong to recieve stolen stuff.  instead of punishing this guy they need to make him talk.  some here have already said something about a paper trail.  i somewhat blame the record company and the gnr camp for the leaks.   someone close to the band is leaking this stuff.  or they are just careless.  there was that story a few years ago where Axl had played some finished tunes at a club.  he handed the dj the cds and they were played.  whos to say that dj didnt copy those cd/s???  someone close has simply gotten careless and maybe made a copy of a disc for a friend or accidently left a disc somewhere.  there are many possibilities i guess.  if axl or management would keep it under lock and key there would be no leaks.  imo its hard for multilple songs to leak to the net.  three GnR songs leaked.  then one a week later.  then some more a few years later.  i dont hear about this going on with any other band.  
now, when a disc is mastered and ready to be copied where does it go exactly??  does it go to the distributers?  do they make the copies?   because i would bet money that someone who works at one of those places, are the ones who leak the albums before an albums release date.  yes im sure they are signed to contracts and shit saying they wont take a copy out or something like that.  but, that contract is only as good as the person signing it. CD will leak just like every album out there and there is NO stopping that.  this guy does not deserve prison for what he did.  the prison system is already over populated and he would do more good by doing community service paying a fine and probation.  he is small cut in a bigger problem.

yes, it is wrong to take something that is not yours.  and while there are many to blame for "illegal downloading" the one who should be blamed the most are the record companies themselves.  the more you act like nazis, the more people will revolt.  this case along with others the records companies and riaa have sued does nothing but piss people off.  there for the cycle continues.

if i were axl i would look around me and see who has copies of the new songs...then i would take em back one by one.  like i said, the leaks go all the way back to the gnr camp and/or the record company.  find the source of the problem, and eliminate it.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2008, 05:38:38 PM »

Do you really think that's a comparable situation?

Playing the song over the air one time vs. allowing downloadable digital copies of the songs on your website?

Seems night and day to me.

Ali
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2008, 05:38:48 PM »

Why don't people read?

He played ONE song in 2003.
Was the album finished and ready for release in 2003? Yes [ ] No [ ]

This guy posts NINE songs on his site and they were available for a lot longer than however long it took Eddie to play the track on the air.
Is the album ready for release in 2008? Yes [ ] No [ ]

An X in the latter "Yes" box implies that the record company is more interested in protecting their property in 2008 than they were years and years ago.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2008, 05:39:52 PM »

this is just pathetic and disgusting...

of course i know what the guy did was illegal and the way he did it was extremely  STUPID but cmon guys this is just ridiculous...

universal and gnr should try to embrace the internet not fight against it.

homo homini lupus...
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2008, 05:40:38 PM »

I think some of you need to wake up.... or at least say the truth. We live in a new era. The digital era. People no longer rush to the music stores to buy the albums. By the internet, people can get them faster, easier and even with the same quality as the original album. It's up for the labels to find new strategies. They have the means... all they got to do is turn them to their side. I'm sure if the albums were cheaper, people wouldnt'd mind buying them. I, for instance, am not wasting 30? for an album of a band I don't like that much..If you lot do... congratz, you're a lot wealthier than me... or maybe have other priorities... The only albums I'm buying these days are from my favourite bands...and I do it more like a collectable thing because at the end of the day, I always stick to iTunes when listening to my music.

I find it so amusing, and I bet that most of you who are all bragging how downloading songs suck have done it more than once.
I, for once, have absolutely no problem saying that I've been getting to know many bands by this mean... bands I would have never get to know without the internet. Bands I ended up seeing live, adding money for them, something impossible to happen without me downloading their album.

With this I'm not saying this guy did the right thing by putting material not yet released on the internet. That's another thing. The album ain't out. The official singles ain't out either. It's not like Metallica who just released two singles in these late weeks putting them in their website for everyone to hear.
All I'm saying is that nowadays, there's just no way to simply stop the illegal downloads, new strategies have to be found. I'm sure that if  they were to arrest everyone that downloads illegaly, more than half of earth would be in jail... me included.

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2008, 05:44:55 PM »

You have no proof that GN'R is fighting "against the Internet".

The record company is just protecting what's theirs.

Just like you would if somebody tried to steal from you.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GNRVahland
Rocker

All Quiet on the Western Front

« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2008, 05:45:35 PM »

If you can't beat it....join it !
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2008, 05:47:39 PM »

I love how people try to justify leaking songs.

Just because its easier to steal something on the internet DOESN'T MAKE IT ANY LESS STEALING.  Its like going into walmart or best buy and stealing a CD.  Think you will get arrested if you do that?  You bet your ass!

if someone broke into a complainer's house and stole something, would they call the police and want the person to rot in jail?  You bet your ass!

fuck anyone complaining.  you aren't supporting the band, you are against them.

CD
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2008, 05:55:44 PM »

At least the leaks are well advertised now.....where is the good in that....
greekmule
Rocker

she's so beatifully broken...

« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2008, 05:56:12 PM »

You have no proof that GN'R is fighting "against the Internet".

that's why is said gnr and universal. maybe i should have said gnr or universal i will give u that

Just like you would if somebody tried to steal from you.

if you knew me you wouldn't say that.  Wink

if i were a song writer i would rather chop my arm off than watch a guy face jail time because of leaking some demos.

if on the other hand i were a record exec i would prefer the positive buzz the leaks created that the negative buzz this movement will induce.

homo homini lupus...
GNRVahland
Rocker

All Quiet on the Western Front

« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2008, 05:57:56 PM »

I love how people try to justify leaking songs.

Just because its easier to steal something on the internet DOESN'T MAKE IT ANY LESS STEALING.....

In the Netherlands it is allowed to "steal it from the internet for home-purpose", offering to other people is stricly prohibited !
So getting the leaks is OK, giving away isn't so using a torrent is legal as long as you don't share....

The Netherlands are an exception worldwide; only some "countries" in Asia, Dark-Africa and Polynesia have no legislation(?) but IMO
1) IT IS STEALING (in the Netherlands sharing copyrighted-software is a crime and I don't see the difference with music but I think it will be changed in the future)
2) Relaesing the album is about TIMING and therefore damage has been done
3) It is not fair to "share" something creative that hasn't been finished yet
patcooper
VIP

« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2008, 06:03:45 PM »

i thought these songs were demos? universal owns the rights to demo songs? something doesn't sound right with that.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2008, 06:08:04 PM »

For those of you who have trouble seeing differences between different cases, think of the following:

- What person would you go after: The kid who stole a candy bar from the local 7-Eleven or the guy who stole a truck load of candy bars?

- Would the fact that one person's actions might've caused more damage than the other matter?

- Would the number of songs and the possible spreading of said songs be a concern?

If you think all these cases are the same, then basically you think stealing a candy bar is equal to robbing a bank.

All cases of leaking music are stealing and violating copyright laws. But there are differences.

/jarmo

sandman
Legend

« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2008, 06:11:19 PM »

they (whoever "they" is - i guess indirectly it's universal, but it doesn't seem to be gnr) are NOT going after someone for DOWNLOADING music.

my understanding is that they are going after someone for stealing their property and then making that property available to thousands of other people.

the laws are in place to protect them, so this seems pretty fair to me.

it's confusing to me why so many people are so passionate about defending a criminal. even if you hate record labels, or even if you hate gnr and just come here to be assholes, why defend a criminal???

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
patcooper
VIP

« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2008, 06:14:47 PM »

they (whoever "they" is - i guess indirectly it's universal, but it doesn't seem to be gnr) are NOT going after someone for DOWNLOADING music.

my understanding is that they are going after someone for stealing their property and then making that property available to thousands of other people.

the laws are in place to protect them, so this seems pretty fair to me.

it's confusing to me why so many people are so passionate about defending a criminal. even if you hate record labels, or even if you hate gnr and just come here to be assholes, why defend a criminal???

Did you download or listem to any of the leaks? Do you use torrent or peer 2 peer sites?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 49 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: