Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 09:11:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Tennis Thread - Official
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tennis Thread - Official  (Read 96588 times)
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2009, 05:39:24 AM »

Its only gonna be the best ever IMO if it starts to even itself out. If Nadal wins most finals against Federer like its going then its not gonna be IMO. If Federer could say beat him at the French and take the crown then you would be talking. Nadal takes his Grass dominance away and if Federer can do the same on Clay to Nadal then i might agree. But at the moment you know that Nadal has Federers number and thats not much fun to watch unless you're a Nadal fan.

The Tennis is excellent and its up there with the Connors/McEnroe, Borg/McEnroe & Sampras/Aggasi but they couldn't compete with Fed/Nadal if they start beating each other and really not knowing who is gonna win. And if we take your example Igantius then Federer was beaten by a guy who was exhausted.... if thats the case then Nadal is MUCH better than Federer and therefore the rivallry is not as great as it could be.

Well, I agree it's not that much of a rivalry if you look at their head to head. Nadal's won 13 and FedEX won 6. But to me, this rivalry covers many more elements than their  W-L record against each other. We are talking about two players who've accomplished:

16 out of the last 17 GS,
30 out of the last 36 MS tournaments,
70 tournaments total
Number 1 and number 2 since 2005,
Some of the most dramatic finals in the history of tennis (Wimby 07 & 08, AU 09, Rome 06...)

All of the above in just 4 years.

Yeah I call this a rivalry cause we are seeing the best players of our time. Federer is already amongst the best up there with Sampras, Laver and Borg. Nadal's not there yet but could very well soon be. Nadal is number 1 now and FEDEX is ranked 2, but this could change sooner than you think since Nadal has so many points to defend from March to July.

Now, what Rog needs now is a coach for God's sake. Not that he's going to learn any secret shot that will destroy NADAL but Federer needs to change his game plan when playing against the spaniard. Especially, he needs to use more that slice backhand when Nadal plays theh high kick forehand to the left corner.

Still 4 months for Roland Garros  Sad  But hey, in march we have Indian Wells and Miami looking forward to it!!

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2009, 05:09:17 AM »

Bump.

Nadal Vs Murray today at Indian Wells.

None of the players have really played well this week, so it's hard to point out a favorite.

Murray beat Fedex yesterday which was expected. Federer's totally lost it, he really needs a coach so at least he can have a game plan when he faces stronger players (mentally) than him. Roger managed to clinch a set mainly cause he's the most talented tennis player ever, but you can't expect to hit 50 winners and 10 UE's in every match. Impossible.

Nadal had his ups and downs agains Roddick last night. He's a better player and he won, but if he wants to beat Muzza today he needs to hold his service games.

My prediction is Murray will win this one in 3. He's moving well, service's improved a lot, playing well under pressure, ball placement is perfect and the guy plays smart. This is, along with Nalbandian, the most difficult match-up for Nadal of all.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:13:15 AM by Ignatius » Logged
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2009, 08:15:07 AM »

Bump.

Nadal Vs Murray today at Indian Wells.

None of the players have really played well this week, so it's hard to point out a favorite.

Murray beat Fedex yesterday which was expected. Federer's totally lost it, he really needs a coach so at least he can have a game plan when he faces stronger players (mentally) than him. Roger managed to clinch a set mainly cause he's the most talented tennis player ever, but you can't expect to hit 50 winners and 10 UE's in every match. Impossible.

Nadal had his ups and downs agains Roddick last night. He's a better player and he won, but if he wants to beat Muzza today he needs to hold his service games.

My prediction is Murray will win this one in 3. He's moving well, service's improved a lot, playing well under pressure, ball placement is perfect and the guy plays smart. This is, along with Nalbandian, the most difficult match-up for Nadal of all.

Well Murray is playing with at least one injury and this is his first Tournament back after being out so i'm amazed he's got this far. To be fair he was awesome against Federer, Murray just waited and let Federer hit his errors.

I think Nadal will win he's had more recent match practice i think and Murray with that injury can't be 100%

I'm Gonna Buy A Gun And Start A War
If You Can Tell Me Something Worth Fighting For
[/color]

Get on your Dancing Shoes
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2009, 04:40:26 AM »

Good win by Nadal  yes

Rafa dealt with the win better than Murray and eased through both sets. Unfortunately, the conditions out there played a key role in the match. Both of the players had to adapt their game plan in order to have a chance in the match. Rafa seemed to be more comfortable and won.

To be fair, Murray has been ill recently. Andy hadn't played since first round of Dubai 3 weeks ago and he looked to be out of gas already in the fourth game of the first set. Then and there I already knew Nadal as going to win easy.

Next Miami.

By the way, this is Nadal's 13 Master 1000 series tournament (formerly known as Master Series). He's just 4 titles away to tie with all time's best Andre Agassi's 17. Also, he's just 1 GS way to tie with Boris Becker and 2 to reach Agassi. And he's not even 23 yet!

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2009, 02:30:10 PM »

By the way, this is Nadal's 13 Master 1000 series tournament (formerly known as Master Series). He's just 4 titles away to tie with all time's best Andre Agassi's 17. Also, he's just 1 GS way to tie with Boris Becker and 2 to reach Agassi. And he's not even 23 yet!

Scary isn't it. If his body holds up then he'll break a shit load of records.

Good win by Nadal  yes

Rafa dealt with the win better than Murray and eased through both sets. Unfortunately, the conditions out there played a key role in the match. Both of the players had to adapt their game plan in order to have a chance in the match. Rafa seemed to be more comfortable and won.

To be fair, Murray has been ill recently. Andy hadn't played since first round of Dubai 3 weeks ago and he looked to be out of gas already in the fourth game of the first set. Then and there I already knew Nadal as going to win easy.

Murray didn't play well. Rafa deserved it. He definatly coped with the condidtions better than Andy. I think Murray needs more match practice and he desperatly needs to win a slam because if he wins one i think he'll win a few but the longer he goes without winning one the less likely he'll ever win one

[/color]

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2009, 03:55:53 AM »

Murray - Djokovic.

Not the dream final everyone was expected but the most deserved final. These two have been the better players by a mile throughout this tournament so it's fair.

Djokovic has been surprisingly dominant this week. He's won every match easy (with the exception of the semis against FEDEX), looking better than a few months ago.

Murray's been business as usual. Not his best display but he's playing another final. Quaters against Verdasco was impressive, although the spaniard was injured, he played some great tennis that day. Against Del Potro, he played more defensively but Murray is one of the best defenders on tour.

I dont really know who will win today. I'd say Murray, but the Djoker seems to gotten his shit together for this tourny so it's hard to tell. Nevertheless, I can't wait to see this match!

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2009, 04:38:45 AM »

I dont really know who will win today. I'd say Murray, but the Djoker seems to gotten his shit together for this tourny so it's hard to tell. Nevertheless, I can't wait to see this match!

Yeah its one of those matches where if Djokovic hits those insane shots and they go in i can't see Murray doing much playing the way he's playing. However should Novak drop his game and especially his serve quality you get the impression Murray will take advantage.

As a Murray fan i'm liking that Murray is getting to these finals despite not playing well. Should he find the form of last year when he beat Djokovic and Nadal then he'll surely have a great year.

Its interesting that Novak wasn't aware how close Murray was to his No.3 spot and that makes this match even more interesting. For a while Novak has been in limbo. Miles ahead of 4th and not close enough to the top two but all of a sudden he has pressure from behind and a chance to move up with the way Federer is playing. Maybe its the spur for Novak that he needs.

[/color]

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2009, 06:28:21 AM »

Glad to see Andy pick up what many consider the "5th Major" and certainly one of the hardest tournament due to conditions.

The first set he made Djokovic look average but then didn't play too well in the second... but he keeps finding ways of winning. Its not bad when you are beating someone like Djokovic when playing "Ok Tennis" as Andy put it.

There is no doubt that Both will play better but that first set showed what Murray can do. There is probally only Nadal that can stand-up to Murray when Andy is playing at his peak now. I've seen him beat Novak the last three times and Federer struggles against him. The demolition of Verdasco was the most impressive performance of the week. Beat Del Potro playing poorly for the most part. He is starting to look the real deal.

I think Djokovic needs to look at himself and get fitter. He has no excuses for yesterday he just wasn't good enough and i think his fitness needs to be better for him to progress. I saw an interesting stat yesterday that since his first wimbledon Murray has made 12 players retire in matches. I don't think that coincidence. Thats his level of fitness and how he moves them around. ok
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 09:00:59 AM by Gnrfan » Logged

[/color]

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2009, 03:20:22 PM »

Congrat's to Murray!

One of the things that I like most about him is his ability to switch from defense to offense. Against Novak he did like a hundred times. He can get the ball back even when he's been put a lot of pressure. Playing like this also means his opponent will make a lot of UE's cause if you don't put it away against Murray he can pass you down the line or cross court very easy.

The difference with Nadal now (in my opinion) is Nadal is making more UEs now cause he's finishing the points early. He's offense's gotten more agressive so he can quicken the points. The idea is to get to the second half of the year on good physical conditions unlike the previous 3-4 years.

Clay season's already started. Let's see what Murray brings. He's got no points to defend so I'dnt be surprise if he gets the number 2 spot by after RG.

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2009, 04:07:57 PM »

Well Murray has said that Clay is his worst surface but i'm suprised coz his game seems suited to clay.

I guess we'll see.

Can anyone stop Nadal on Clay?

[/color]

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2009, 06:59:42 AM »

Can anyone stop Nadal on Clay?

I guess we'll find out.

I watched Nadal yesterday and he was Awesome. Murray is playing poorly and scrapping through which isn't a bad thing i guess.

If Murray can manage to get a set against probaly the greatest clay courter ever and certainly the best player in the world at the moment then i think he'll see it as progress as this is as far as he has got on clay in his career.

I think Murray will need to be aggressive and keep the points shorter than usual otherwise he'll need his tarck shoes to keep up with Nadal

[/color]

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2009, 01:00:50 PM »

On Evidence of the 1st Set Murray was well out of his league.

But Murray does what he is so good at and figured out a way to play in the 2nd Set and that set could have gone to either player.

I think Murray will look forward to the next meeting with Nadal and see if what he now knows can be effective. I think Nadal was brilliant in the tie-break but the 2nd half of the 2nd set Murray had Nadal running about like Nadal usually does to his opponents.

As  for the final i think Nadal will walk over Djoker i thought that he was average against Wawrinka at times and Nadal will definatly punish him.

[/color]

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2009, 09:44:54 AM »

Yeah, against Murray, Nadal dominated for one set and a half, then Murray started to play more high balls to recover position and turned out to be effective. He had Nadal 2 meters behind the base line and that allowed him to dictate.

After 5-5 in the second, the tennis by both players was superb. Incredible tie break, with Nadal clucth as usual elevating his tennis when it mattered the most.

Murray's a talented and smart player. He'll do whatever it takes to beat Nadal. If he has to adapt, he will. Unlike Federer who despite being the most talented player ever, he just doesnt feel the need to change his game plan on clay...that's the reason why he's never won RG!

Against the Djoker it was a extrange match. Nadal was not on top of his game but he managed to win. Djoker did what he had to do....it was actually the best I've seen him play on clay since last year in Hamburg but he lost. He had a chance at the beginning of third set but Nadal saved the break point with an amazing cross court backhand and from then onwards, Nadal had the upper hand!

Can't wait till Rome!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 10:53:17 AM by Ignatius » Logged
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2009, 01:14:51 PM »

So finally the top 3 is broken up.

I have a feeling that its gonna chop and change alot this year. I've had a look at the points that are being defended and Federer, Djokovic & Murray have similar points to defend. Federer was strong last year in the Slams he's got 2 finals and 1 winner spot to defend, however he hasn't got many points to defend in the masters events.

On the other hand Nadal, Murray and Novak have a crap load of points to defend especially Nadal. It would be interesting to see Nadal struggle after the French to see how close all four guys are come the end of the year.

[/color]

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2009, 07:11:25 PM »

So finally the top 3 is broken up.

Not yet, but from next week onwards Andy will be number 3 in the word.

I have a feeling that its gonna chop and change alot this year. I've had a look at the points that are being defended and Federer, Djokovic & Murray have similar points to defend. Federer was strong last year in the Slams he's got 2 finals and 1 winner spot to defend, however he hasn't got many points to defend in the masters events.

And don't forget Federer made it to the Master 1000 last year final in Hamburg, which has moved to Madrid starting next week. So I'd say he's gotta a lot of points to defend.

Murray on the other hand, has an easier road at least till the start of the hard court season in August. Hardly no points to defend from here (Madrid, RG, Queens, Wimbly) till Toronto.

On the other hand Nadal, Murray and Novak have a crap load of points to defend especially Nadal. It would be interesting to see Nadal struggle after the French to see how close all four guys are come the end of the year.

Nadal has as shit load but it's incredible how he has managed to ADD more points so far on clay. Last year he won Montecarlo, Barcelona, Hamburg and RG. This year he's won Montecarlo, Barcelona and Rome with Madrid and RG coming next. By the look of things Nadal won't have lost any points through the Clay season and that's amazing. After RG, Nadal has to defend Queens, Wimbly, Toronto and the olympic games (which obviously he won't be able to defend). But after that (mid august) till the end of the season, Nadal will face less difficulties (just semis at the US open and Cincy)

If Rafa maintains a 3000 point lead difference by the end of RG, he will finish Number 1 also in 2009.

BTW, Nadal has already surpassed Federer in Master 1000's titles. He now has 15.
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2009, 02:30:58 PM »

BTW, Nadal has already surpassed Federer in Master 1000's titles. He now has 15.

He is just a beast. Its a shame that Federer has passed his best coz a sustained battle with these two at their best could of been even better than their rivalry already is.

I'm kinda hoping for a suprise Federer win at RG as i think it would be a brilliant way to break the record (on a surface he hasn't won on) but you just can't see anyone beating Nadal.

I know you won't agree Ignatius but i'd like Nadal to go out early this year and leave the tournament open.

So happy that Murray has broken in to the top 3 although i think the top 4 will probaly end the year the same as it started.

[/color]

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2009, 06:24:33 AM »

You know what? I'll root for Fedex in RG too. He deserves it, so why not?

If Nadal wins though I will not be too unhappy :-) but yeah, RG is what Roger needs to be labeled as Greatest of all time so yeah, let's go ROGER!

On a side note, did you read what Federer say about Murray's rise to number 3? Nothing too bad, but he did take away some credit saying something to the lines of "being#3 and #4 doesnt matter...the only thing that matters is being #1 and #2...

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2009, 10:55:53 AM »

You know what? I'll root for Fedex in RG too. He deserves it, so why not?

If Nadal wins though I will not be too unhappy :-) but yeah, RG is what Roger needs to be labeled as Greatest of all time so yeah, let's go ROGER!

On a side note, did you read what Federer say about Murray's rise to number 3? Nothing too bad, but he did take away some credit saying something to the lines of "being#3 and #4 doesnt matter...the only thing that matters is being #1 and #2...

1 & 2 is all that matters to people of Federers talent. Some players ae happy yo make the top 10.

I think if Murray ended the year in 3rd he'd consider it a good year. Obviously Andy would love to go higher but there are some great players ahead, and behind him and Nadal is gonna have to drop off big time for anyone to catch him anytime soon

[/color]

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2009, 12:04:01 PM »

The door is open for Federer!
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2009, 12:10:23 PM »

Incredible stuff.

Nadal and Djokovic out in the space of two days. I have to say the Nadal vs Soderling match was one of the most enjoyable matches i've seen in recent times. I know Rafa wasn't at his best  but Sodering played incredible. Vollyeyed well, Served well and got the better of Nadal in the longer rallies. Every time you thought "Oh here comes Nadal" Soderling fought back admirably. I thought when Nadal won the 2nd set we would see awesome Rafa power on but creditto Soderling he re-grouped and played excellent especially at the net where i thought Nadal found him tough to pass.

I'm a massive Rafa fan and he is brilliant for this sport but its good to see this depth that people keep talking about come to the forefront. It can't be the best set ofplayers ever if Rafa just keeps on winning and i think him losing his dominance of the french is a good thing for tennis much like Federer losing his dominance over Wimbledon last year.

Nadal: 33 winners  
           28 Unforced Errors (alot for Rafa)
           77% first serve (really good)
           2/4 Break Point Conversion

Soderling: 64% First Serve
                 61 Winners
                 59 Unforced Errors (Very High)
                 5/6 Break Point conversion

I think i'm right in saying that Federer and Roddick are the only previous Slam winners left in the draw. Guys like Murray, Gonzales, Tsonga, Del Potro and Verdasco must be thinking this could be my chance to get that first Major.

And Federer must be thinking.... there will never be a better chance to take the title of "Best Player that has ever lived". Many say his failure to win the French (much like Sampras) is the only thing that people hold against him for that accolade.

[/color]

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: