Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 09:35:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Tennis Thread - Official
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tennis Thread - Official  (Read 96600 times)
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2008, 06:05:57 AM »

Argentina and Spain reached Davis Cup final. It will be played in Argentina from 21 to 23 of november.

Argentina is a VERY strong team in clay, but guess what, Spain is undefeatable on that surface.

So, we will have to make a huge decision: betraying our roots, putting an extremely fast surface like indoor-carpet (a surface we DO NOT like, IN A FINAL) or trying to defeat Spain in clay, which is like trying to beat Reggie Miller on a 3 point contest at the Conseco Fieldhouse.

I think the proper decision would be the indoor-carpet. Nalbandian is a very strong player at ultra-fast surfaces, and Del Potro plays exactly the same in every surface. He can make his serve do the talking. Even though Ferrer and Nadal are extraordinary players, I think Argentina's gonna have the adventage in that surface, and with the incentive of playing at home.

None of these countries have strong doubles. It will be a very tough series. I think we will win 3-2  beer

Nalbandian no est? gordo, Ignatius. Est? muy repleto de talento! hihi

I think Nalbandian is such a wild card anything could happen in that match. Nadal is the best player on earth right now but we all know if Nalbandian brings his A game he can beat Nadal. however we also know that Nalbandian can stink up the court too.... so its gonna be interesting to see.

I think they'll play on Clay and i think Spain will win.

I'm Gonna Buy A Gun And Start A War
If You Can Tell Me Something Worth Fighting For
[/color]

Get on your Dancing Shoes
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2008, 03:51:25 PM »

Another impressive display by Murray in Madrid this week. Once again shows he can beat the big boys.

If you take away the Olympics Murray has been the form player in the world since July. A host of Semi's, Finals (including US Open) and two masters series wins.

I know when you compare it to the Big 3 you can say he hasn't won a Major this year but i think he is clearly making progress and has beaten all the big 3 in the last 4 months. And since Wimbledon he has been as impressive as anyone on tour

Beating Federer this week after the beating he took in the Final of the US Open took mental strength beyond belief and extreme condfidence in his own ability.

[/color]

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2008, 10:05:25 AM »

Another impressive display by Murray in Madrid this week. Once again shows he can beat the big boys.

Yeah. He sure can.

His most impressive match though was  against Monfils. With Roger he struggled in the first set but got himself together in the second and third sets and pulled off the win. I thought FedEX was going to win easily, specially after the first set, but he lost momentum which Andy gained. It was not a display of agressive tennis by no means by Andy though, but he did what he had to do in order to win.

I notice Andy is a quick learner. His second serve was superb against Roger. He served a lot more to Roger's forehand side and that was crucial. In the US open final, Andy served most of his second serves to Roger's backhand and Roger backhand's return is more difficult to deal with than a forehand return. When Roger returns with his backhand the ball slices so much it makes you dig down to put it back into play. On Saturday, his second serve placement varied and that was a huge plus for him.

If you take away the Olympics Murray has been the form player in the world since July. A host of Semi's, Finals (including US Open) and two masters series wins.

Yeah you can say that. Nadal's won two tournaments, same as Murray. They're both done pretty much the same when it comes to wins and loses ratio since July.

I know when you compare it to the Big 3 you can say he hasn't won a Major this year but i think he is clearly making progress and has beaten all the big 3 in the last 4 months. And since Wimbledon he has been as impressive as anyone on tour

His biggest asset for me know is they way he implements strategy. He knows what he's gotta do to beat any of the top three players and that's impressive. If you take a look at Djoker, you know he's always going to play the same no matter against who's he's up against, but Murray varies his game depending his opponent. Against Rafa he takes a more aggresive approach, against Roger he's a bit more conservative and lets Roger dictaminate the points, but when he's gotta a chance, he takes it.

Beating Federer this week after the beating he took in the Final of the US Open took mental strength beyond belief and extreme condfidence in his own ability.

Next year is going to be amazing. We will have 4 players with good chances to win any slam or Master Series. Del Potro could make it 5 (he's got the game and the winning mindset) but he's yet to win a major or a Master Series.

Argentina and Spain reached Davis Cup final. It will be played in Argentina from 21 to 23 of november.

Argentina is a VERY strong team in clay, but guess what, Spain is undefeatable on that surface.

So, we will have to make a huge decision: betraying our roots, putting an extremely fast surface like indoor-carpet (a surface we DO NOT like, IN A FINAL) or trying to defeat Spain in clay, which is like trying to beat Reggie Miller on a 3 point contest at the Conseco Fieldhouse.

I think the proper decision would be the indoor-carpet. Nalbandian is a very strong player at ultra-fast surfaces, and Del Potro plays exactly the same in every surface. He can make his serve do the talking. Even though Ferrer and Nadal are extraordinary players, I think Argentina's gonna have the adventage in that surface, and with the incentive of playing at home.

None of these countries have strong doubles. It will be a very tough series. I think we will win 3-2  beer

Nalbandian no est? gordo, Ignatius. Est? muy repleto de talento! hihi

It'll sure be an exciting final. Argentina has never won the Davis, so for them this is a huge deal. Im not saying for Spain is not, but we have won it twice this decade so far.

This final will go down as one of the most dramatic ever. I have a strange feeling about it...Argentinians (crowd) will make sure we go through hell. Im sure Maradona will be in the crowd since he rarely misses tennis when played in Argentina.

I'm a little worried about the final though. Like I said, Argentinians are loud and proud when they come to sports. Nothing wrong with that, but there's a very thin line between rooting for the home team and make it a living hell for the visitors team. I hope nobody poisons our water like Billardo did once agains Brasil  Tongue

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 10:14:33 AM by Ignatius » Logged
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2009, 01:55:04 PM »

OK so the new season has started here are my predictions for the season.

> Nadal will stay No1 all year.

> Federer Will Win his 14th Slam to equal Sampras

> Murray will win a Grand Slam

> Nadal, Federer, Djokovic & Murray will all win at least 2 Masters Titles

> No one will win more than 1 Slam (Although if Nadal hits top form he could win all four)

> Tsonga, Del Potro & Nalbandian will have good years

> James Blake & Roddick won't finish the year in the top 10

[/color]

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2009, 07:20:48 AM »

OK so the new season has started here are my predictions for the season.

> Nadal will stay No1 all year.

> Federer Will Win his 14th Slam to equal Sampras

> Murray will win a Grand Slam

> Nadal, Federer, Djokovic & Murray will all win at least 2 Masters Titles

> No one will win more than 1 Slam (Although if Nadal hits top form he could win all four)

> Tsonga, Del Potro & Nalbandian will have good years

> James Blake & Roddick won't finish the year in the top 10

Makes sense, that is if tennis was logical.

However, tennis has really become so unpredicitable. So far...

Djoker loses against Gulbis.

Gulbis loses against Matheiu.

Djoker destroys Mattheiu a week later.

Nadal loses to MONFILS!!!

Verdasco loses another final (nothing new there).

Tsong? loses early in Brisbane.

the 200th player in the world reaches the Chenai final.

To be honest, I don't have any clue what could happen, not even a slight idea.

Murray is probably the strongest player out there this year (so far). He's gained confidence and is looking good entering the Aussie open. He's a strong favorite...but then again, THE AO is the toghest of all the GSlams. Not only it's comes very early in the year, but the temperatures are a living hell. It's really hard to tell what may happen...also, there's always an unexpected player who reaches the semis or final...Baghdatis, Tsong?, Korda, Johanson, Moya...those players reached the AO final before...so who knows.

Strong favorites for me are Murray and the Djoker.- For Nadal - athough he's rested and perfectly fit - this slam comes to early (I guess just like any other player) but Nadal normally needs more time to get into rythm.

As for the rest of the year...I wish I'd see Nadal No1 at the end of 2009 but he's gotta a shit load of points to defend. From March till July....Not only he must win every clay court prior to RG, but he must win RG and Wimbly again to maintain that difference. Murray and FedEX do not have many points to defend (just Marseille title for Andy and Estoril for Fedex) so they will be the rivals to keep an eye on.

Good thing though is like you pointed out, there are  other players who most likely do well this year also. Del Potro, Tsong?, Simon, Davidenko...all of those players can beat any of the top 4. It won't happen often, but it can happen. Look how Davidenko trashed Murray in the Masters Semis to then lose to the Djoker... However, I don't think all of those players will do well. There're only a certain amount of tournaments a year and it's really difficult for all the top 10 players to have "good years".

As for the MS series, yeah...it could be. Although I don't think it's going to be that EVEN, who knows. I don't see the Djoker winning 2 titles...(maybe one). Nadal will most likely clinch a few, also Murray, Fedex maybe one and the rest could go to Davidenko, Tsong?, Del Potro...

Nevertheless, it's going to be an exciting year that's for sure. Tennis has never been so unpredictable and that's a good thing.

novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2009, 07:04:16 PM »

who ya guys think is gonna win the Australian open? Nadal n Federer bot looked impressive.  Djokivich is the defending champ. Im gonna say Federer

"life sucks, but in a really beautiful kind of way."
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2009, 03:57:27 AM »

Nadal's first match performance was simply stunning. I've never - EVER - seen him playing with so much power. He hit 30 forehand winners...the last game was a good sum up of what he had done throughout the match. However, it's a bit early. Rochus is not what you'd call a tough contender these days so it's hard to say whay Nadal may accomplish until he's up against a fairly difficult opponent. He's looking good so far, but it's too early.

Federer's first match was ok. Seppi is a stronger opponent than Rochus but Fedex struggled to win the 2nd and 3rd sets. Today's match against Korolev I have not seen, but looks like an easy victory for Roger. The russian is not really a touch match up either for any of the top players as he's ranked 118th. Looking at the match stats, Fedex hit 25 winners (Nadal hit 47 on his first round match).

Murray's first match does not really tell us many things either. After one and 1/2 sets Pavel couldnt play no more and handed the game. Murray looked shaky in the first three or four games (it was a bit windy out there) but he gained momentum after and show a solid display.

I haven't seen any Djokovic matches so I cant really comment on him.

I still believe Murray and Djokovic are strong favorites though. If Nadal shows the same level of play in the next two matches, I would also add him as a strong contender.

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2009, 05:55:15 AM »

What an amazing tournament so far...

The 8 first seeds play the 4th round.

Nadal's firing off more winners than any other player (winner/game ratio).

Federer coming back from a 2 set to love deficit to defeat Berdych.

Roddick, Tsong?, Simon all with comfortable wins

Murray Vs. Velasco tomorrow - That will be an amazing match to watch

Djoker Vs. on fire Bagdhatis (in just a few minutes)

Crowd favorite J. Dokic back in form after a few years and beating seeds all the way through

And some people still say tennis is not the same as it was 10 years ago   Roll Eyes

I haven't witnessed this level of excitement in the world of tennis since Agassi beat Sampras in the '95 AU!

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2009, 09:01:40 AM »

What an amazing tournament so far...

And some people still say tennis is not the same as it was 10 years ago   Roll Eyes

I haven't witnessed this level of excitement in the world of tennis since Agassi beat Sampras in the '95 AU!

I agree. I've watched Tennis for a long time and the end of last season and the start of this is the best i've ever seen.

We have 4 top top players and we have about 8 in that pack behind who can always come through with a good week.

Its just so hard to pick a winner. Nadal has been extremley impressive, i'm watching Djokovic now and he looks like he fancys the retain, Federer had to show some class and spirit to get by Berdych and Murray has slowly gone about his job without hitting top gear like Nadal has, but i'm hoping he can raise it against Verdasco otherwise he's gonna be in trouble.... although aside from Nadal Murray has never lost to a lefty.

But you're right ignatius ... its been brilliant!

[/color]

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2009, 08:05:46 AM »

This tournament just gets better and better.

Fantastic match between Murray and Verdasco. I'm happy in a way cause Fernando advanced, but I did want to see some semifinal action between Andy and Nadal. I knew this match was going to be a challange for Murray...I had been following Verdasco up close ever since Davis Cup last year and he's improved the mental aspect of the game a whole lot.

Verdasco's always been know for being as "choker" though. He's got the talent, groundstrokes...but has always lacked the mental toughness that best tennis players have. Today, he's moved forward, at last. I really don't think he'll beat Tsong? in the quaters, but he's gained a lot of confidence after his win against Murray. He'll finish the year playing the Master Cup (or World cup series).

Easy match for Nadal against Gonzalez. Struggled a bit early in the third, pulled himself together and managed to win easily in the end. I was going back and forth between the Nadal's and Murray's match. It was so difficult to pick one and stay there!

Now, Nadal faces difficult opponent. Gilles Simon is not only the world's best moonballer, in addition, he's come up with a decent number of winners. He already beat Nadal in Madrid last October, so Rafa better be patient and get himself ready for a long battle. If, he does win, he'll most likely face Tsong?, which is the toughest player to beat on that side of the draw now. The guy looks larger than life and already beat RAFA in the semis last year.

On the other side of the draw, Roddick will most likely lose to the Djoker in 4 sets and Federer will have to battle hard to beat Juan Martin del Potro in 4 or 5 sets. So my semifinal predictions are

Rafa Nadal will beat Simon in 4 sets
Tsong? to beat Verdasco in 3
The Djoker to beat Roddick in 4
Fedex to beat Del Potro in 5

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2009, 01:32:57 AM »

The Djoker to beat Roddick in 4

Hmmmm... not quite...  What do you think about him retiring?

"I'm almost in favor of saying, you know what, if you're not fit enough, just get out of here," Federer added. "If Novak were up two sets to love I don't think he would have retired 4-0 down in the fourth. Thanks to Andy that he retired in the end. Andy pushed him to the limits. Hats off to Andy."

Come on, let's get another Fed / Nadal final...   beer
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2009, 03:45:49 AM »

Hmmmm... not quite...  What do you think about him retiring?

Yeah, so far I'm just 1 out of 3 in my predictions. Hopefully Nadal beats Simon so I'm up to 50%  hihi

Djoko's done this before. He's well known for retiring when things don't go his way. Agains Nadal he's retired 2 or 3 times, against Fedex once and now against Andy. I don't know whether he really had a heat stroke or not, fact is, it must be damn hot and humid there, but then again, he was 2 set to 1 down and totally out of the match mentally... Like Fedex said, congrats to Andy. He really pushed him hard.

Come on, let's get another Fed / Nadal final...   beer

That's what everyone wants, but Nadal still has two last hurdles; Moonballer Simon and "on fire" Verdasco who just beat Tsong? in 4.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2009, 02:52:06 PM »

I just love tennis.

One of the most incredible, amazing, stunning tennis matches I've ever watched (and I've been watching tennis since Boris Becker won Wimbledon in 1985).

Eventhough I was lucky enough to see Nadal at wimbledon playing that final against Federer in 2008, the match I watched today between Rafa and Verdasco was even better. The standard of play and intensity today was out of this world. I don't think Rafa or Fernando will ever forget this match... This was definitely the match of the open and will go down as the match of the year.

As for the final, looking forward to it. Roger is the favorite as he's got much more time to rest. If Nadal was normal he would have no chance but you never know with this kid.

Vamos RAFA!
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2009, 02:57:05 PM »

I just love tennis.

One of the most incredible, amazing, stunning tennis matches I've ever watched (and I've been watching tennis since Boris Becker won Wimbledon in 1985).

Eventhough I was lucky enough to see Nadal at wimbledon playing that final against Federer in 2008, the match I watched today between Rafa and Verdasco was even better. The standard of play and intensity today was out of this world. I don't think Rafa or Fernando will ever forget this match... This was definitely the match of the open and will go down as the match of the year.

As for the final, looking forward to it. Roger is the favorite as he's got much more time to rest. If Nadal was normal he would have no chance but you never know with this kid.

Vamos RAFA!

Brilliant. Simply Brilliant.

Not as good as Federer vs Nadal at Wimbledon IMO but bloody close. I just always thought that Nadal would pull through. But you have to applaud both players for their levels of quality. Verdasco has been playing like this since the Murray match in patches but his all or nothing attitude against Nadal has to be commended.

Can't wait for the Final.

[/color]

novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2009, 03:11:56 PM »

That was a great match this morning.
Very early in new york hihi

I hope Nadal bounces back physically and mentally after that draining match.

The overall play of this mornings match was great. Some incredible winners, and Great serving
Nadal hit some cuts and slices that were phenomenal.

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2009, 08:22:48 AM »

What a match. Either could have won it and both deserved it for the tennis they played. Nadals fitness levels are incredible and Federer look to be effected most by the week than Nadal. For 4 sets it was at the highest quality.

The crucial moment in the match was in the third set when Federer had 6 Break points and didn't take them and then fell apart in tie break. When Federer's first serve was working Nadal couldn't handle him and when it wasn't you always felt as if Nadal had the better of the rallys. Federers serve and backhand let him down.

Just looking at the final stats.... Federer actually won more points and had more winners but Nadal's unforced errors was good and at the key points i don't think Federer did enough.

Congrats Rafa.... On to the French!

[/color]

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2009, 11:39:11 AM »

What a match. Either could have won it and both deserved it for the tennis they played. Nadals fitness levels are incredible and Federer look to be effected most by the week than Nadal. For 4 sets it was at the highest quality.

What do you mean by "the week"?

Federer had an extra day to rest, I don't think he was affected by that (if that's what you meant).

Roger totally blew it in the 5th. Couldn't stand the pressure of playing against NADAL in a 5th set again and lost. Here's a guy who had lost 12 times against Nadal (last one at Wimbly) playing the decisive games in a GS final. Had he played against any other player, Roger would not have felt such pressure but against Nadal, the hesitiation and ghosts from the past must've gone through his mind in the final set.

The crucial moment in the match was in the third set when Federer had 6 Break points and didn't take them and then fell apart in tie break. When Federer's first serve was working Nadal couldn't handle him and when it wasn't you always felt as if Nadal had the better of the rallys. Federers serve and backhand let him down.

Yes. That was the key to the match. Fedex had 6 BP but Nadal played solid. Nadal is the best player in the tour when facing break points on his serve so kudos to Nadal.

Just looking at the final stats.... Federer actually won more points and had more winners but Nadal's unforced errors was good and at the key points i don't think Federer did enough.

Yeah, Nadal won the points that matter the most though. Again.

To me this was another great match between these two. This is without a doubt, the greatest rivalry of the sport - EVER - by a mile. These two players always bring the best of each other, it's amazing how this rivalry gets better and better each year. When you think nothing could top Wimbledon 2008, we get a dramatic AU 2009 final filled with suspense, intensity and incredible moments.

I'm happy Rafa won, but I felt for Roger. His breakdown during the ceremony was simply heartbreaking. I trully hope he beats Sampras record so he will be considered best tennis player of all time. In fact, I'm pulling for Federer to win the french...I hope he wins  it.

In the mean time, Rafa CONGRATULATIONS! you are the World's best tennis player. You've proved it again today!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 11:41:44 AM by Ignatius » Logged
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2009, 11:28:44 AM »

To me this was another great match between these two. This is without a doubt, the greatest rivalry of the sport - EVER - by a mile.

Its only gonna be the best ever IMO if it starts to even itself out. If Nadal wins most finals against Federer like its going then its not gonna be IMO. If Federer could say beat him at the French and take the crown then you would be talking. Nadal takes his Grass dominance away and if Federer can do the same on Clay to Nadal then i might agree. But at the moment you know that Nadal has Federers number and thats not much fun to watch unless you're a Nadal fan.

The Tennis is excellent and its up there with the Connors/McEnroe, Borg/McEnroe & Sampras/Aggasi but they couldn't compete with Fed/Nadal if they start beating each other and really not knowing who is gonna win. And if we take your example Igantius then Federer was beaten by a guy who was exhausted.... if thats the case then Nadal is MUCH better than Federer and therefore the rivallry is not as great as it could be.

[/color]

novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2009, 06:47:57 PM »

Yea if Federrer could finally conquer Nadal on clay, that would throw a wrench into the situation. Nadal never loses on the clay and has been better then Roger the last year and a half.

I hope they meet in the finals at all the majors this year because its a guaranteed fantastic match  ok

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2009, 03:50:47 AM »

Glad I stayed up for this.

Nadal is so cool.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: