Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 06:45:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228145 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Tennis Thread - Official
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tennis Thread - Official  (Read 96698 times)
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2008, 07:57:13 AM »

Ok Murray has just played his worst set of the US Open... and managed to win it.... Go figure.

if he keeps playing like this i can't see him winning.

Well Murray has ended the run of that idiot. But i have to say i think Del Potro will consider himself unlucky. I have to be honest its one of the worst i've seen Murray play in a long time... but his heart and grit got him through again. He'll have to improve whoever he plays but

I have to say i'm a little skeptical about Del Potro injury breaks... i mean Del Potro looked ok until he lost the first set then needed treatment. hmmm.

I thought Murray played within himself and couldn't serve well enough throughout to dominate. Del Potro threw everything at Murray and Murray kept coming back. the 4th set at 2-2 Murray defended his serve against several break points.... but Del Potro kept coming back and when he broke Murray in the 4th i thought he we go another 5 set. but I think Murray turned it up a level and showed his class.

They said on there tonight Murray will now be 4th in the Rankings... i think thats where he should be. He is the leader of that pack chasing those brilliant top 3. I just hope its Murray vs Nadal now coz even if he loses (which he will if he plays like he did tonight) it will be good to see how far he has come since Wimbledon.

Congratulations Andy!!

I missed the match  no

Bur I have my box back!! ill be watching some action tonight. Go Roddick!!!

Then, we'll wait for Nadal Vs. Murray. Cant' wat to see that one!

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2008, 08:12:19 AM »

Ok Murray has just played his worst set of the US Open... and managed to win it.... Go figure.

if he keeps playing like this i can't see him winning.

Well Murray has ended the run of that idiot. But i have to say i think Del Potro will consider himself unlucky. I have to be honest its one of the worst i've seen Murray play in a long time... but his heart and grit got him through again. He'll have to improve whoever he plays but

I have to say i'm a little skeptical about Del Potro injury breaks... i mean Del Potro looked ok until he lost the first set then needed treatment. hmmm.

I thought Murray played within himself and couldn't serve well enough throughout to dominate. Del Potro threw everything at Murray and Murray kept coming back. the 4th set at 2-2 Murray defended his serve against several break points.... but Del Potro kept coming back and when he broke Murray in the 4th i thought he we go another 5 set. but I think Murray turned it up a level and showed his class.

They said on there tonight Murray will now be 4th in the Rankings... i think thats where he should be. He is the leader of that pack chasing those brilliant top 3. I just hope its Murray vs Nadal now coz even if he loses (which he will if he plays like he did tonight) it will be good to see how far he has come since Wimbledon.

Congratulations Andy!!

I missed the match  no

Bur I have my box back!! ill be watching some action tonight. Go Roddick!!!

Then, we'll wait for Nadal Vs. Murray. Cant' wat to see that one!

Well you didn't miss much, it wasn't a classic but some of Murrays defence was brilliant.

Murray vs Nadal will be awesome i think. although i see Nadal winning i'm hoping Murray can at least get a set and play better than against Del Potro

I'm Gonna Buy A Gun And Start A War
If You Can Tell Me Something Worth Fighting For
[/color]

Get on your Dancing Shoes
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2008, 10:32:16 AM »

hehe i just saw Del Potro crying in a aftermatch interview.... hehe..... Thats what Karma does to you yes

[/color]

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2008, 07:18:54 AM »

Djokovic was good again. Looked sharp.

Although after his poss match interview, i doubt he'll have the crowd on his side for Federer!

One thing you should never do after beating an American in Amercia, Get cocky!.... They booed him off. haha When was the last time a player got booed off the court after winning a Quarter Final at a Major?

Interesting.

Well Ignatius looks like we have the Semi-Finals we all wanted. I'm obviously hoping for a Murray vs Federer final. But i'd Settle for Nadal vs Federer. I just don't want Novak to win it. ok

[/color]

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2008, 07:25:58 AM »

^ Really?  What's with the Novak dislike?  The dude seems like a nice enough guy.

As for Murray's chances, do you think he is capable if Nadal is in form, or does he need Nadal to have an off day?
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2008, 07:32:00 AM »

^ Really?  What's with the Novak dislike?  The dude seems like a nice enough guy.

As for Murray's chances, do you think he is capable if Nadal is in form, or does he need Nadal to have an off day?

I think if they both play their best Nadal will have to much. But if Nadal goes down to 90% Murray is right in there.

I quite like Novak too, But i'm a huge Federer fan and would like him to win, just to shut all the doubters up. And if i'm honest i'd like him to beat Nadal, as i think he needs to for his condfidence.

Plus i think the place would riot if Novak won it after last night.

[/color]

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2008, 07:56:06 PM »

Nadal is saved by the rain!

We'll see if he bounces back tomorrow... Federer for the title!
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2008, 05:19:37 AM »

Damn right he was!!! That was the best could that could happen to him.

Great display put by Andy yesterday, I'd never seen him playing so well. Nadal looked very, very tired though, but, we can't take any of the credit from Murray. He was on top of his game.

I don't know what will happen today. Hard to predict. If Nadal manages to hold serve a few times from the start he'll have a real chance to take on the 3 set and take this match a bit further, however he better feel fresher than he did yesterday. If Andy plays like he did yesterday, this could be over in 30 minutes though.

I'm so GLAD FedEx is in the final. I just cant stand the Djoker. Roger played the best match probably since the Wimbledon final. Good for him.

Now I only wish he will face Rafa in the final tomorrow.
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2008, 06:23:16 AM »

Murray was awesome yesterday, wouldn't surprise me if after the rain delay he chokes and Nadal goes on to win though. It all reminds me a bit of Henman against Ivanisavic at the Wimbledon semis.

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2008, 12:03:45 PM »

Murray was awesome yesterday, wouldn't surprise me if after the rain delay he chokes and Nadal goes on to win though. It all reminds me a bit of Henman against Ivanisavic at the Wimbledon semis.

Murray has twice the heart of Henman! just not comparable especially on hard courts. If Nadal wins from here Murray has to play bad or Nadal has to play his best tennis this year.

Its gonna be interesting. You just could never rule out Nadal. But he was taught a tennis lesson in that first set.

Damn right he was!!! That was the best could that could happen to him.

Great display put by Andy yesterday, I'd never seen him playing so well. Nadal looked very, very tired though, but, we can't take any of the credit from Murray. He was on top of his game.

I don't know what will happen today. Hard to predict. If Nadal manages to hold serve a few times from the start he'll have a real chance to take on the 3 set and take this match a bit further, however he better feel fresher than he did yesterday. If Andy plays like he did yesterday, this could be over in 30 minutes though.

I'm so GLAD FedEx is in the final. I just cant stand the Djoker. Roger played the best match probably since the Wimbledon final. Good for him.

Now I only wish he will face Rafa in the final tomorrow.

I'm really hoping for a Murray vs Federer final... i'd feel like i couldn't lose.

Its impossible to predict..... If Nadal wins the third then its game on. If it goes to 5 sets Nadal wins. So i'm hoping Murray see's its out in 3 but i'd settle for four.

I feel so bad for Murray, he plays the tennis of his life and Nadal gets saved by Rain... I know Ignatius will disagree but i think Murray deserves to go to the final just for his guts yesterday.

and the crowd seem to love him in New York.

[/color]

slash666
On The Edge Of Seventeen
Legend

The REAL Champ Is Here!

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2008, 12:44:28 PM »

Murray looked sharp & comfortable and playing the best tennis he has played all year. Nadal was clawing his way back and I honestly think the rain stoppage will be the best thing for Murray, he will be able to assess what he can do better and will be fresher. Nadal didn't look like he was totally into the game, head wise. Something just seemed alittle off and I think it is safe to say Murray has more passion for the game than Nadal at this moment in time. He has drasticly improved in the last year, no longer the tempered sloppy player he once was. Murray is going to only get better in time.

Cracking game thus far though, way better than their Wimbledon encounter. Shame Federer is in the final, just never liked the guy. Of course I think Federer has the advantage in the final due to the terrible schedual this year, absolutally shocking delaying the Nadal/Murray match by 1hour & 30mins when they could have been finished. Just an unneeded call and gives Federer more rest time which in my books is unfair to Nadal/Murray.

The Squared Circle

Join The Revolution!
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2008, 06:11:10 PM »

Nadal keeled over and out of gas, now that's something I haven't seen before  hihi

Great match and some wonderful exchanges towards the end.
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2008, 06:22:12 PM »

Fantastic display from Murray, I thought he was going to fall apart after throwing away all those break points early in the 4th and then giving away his serve so easily the very next game. All credit to him he showed he was made of much stronger stuff, he got stronger and stronger as that final set went on. Nadal just seemed to run out of steam after he was broken in that final set, take nothing away from Murray though he was on fire today (and yesterday).

Should be a great final.

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2008, 06:31:54 PM »

Fantastic display from Murray, I thought he was going to fall apart after throwing away all those break points early in the 4th and then giving away his serve so easily the very next game. All credit to him he showed he was made of much stronger stuff, he got stronger and stronger as that final set went on. Nadal just seemed to run out of steam after he was broken in that final set, take nothing away from Murray though he was on fire today (and yesterday).

Should be a great final.
It's a change that has happened in a matter of months.

Earlier in the year when I was watching him in Masters Series Events and such, when he was losing he'd be swearing when he lost a point, getting visibly annoyed and falling apart.

Today he was cool, calm and collected, heck even in winning he was, I half expected a bigger celebration....someone's definately coached him well on how to conduct himself  yes
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2008, 07:33:06 PM »

That second game in the 4th set, Wow!  How many break points did Nadal hold off, 7 I think?  That turned out to be a really entertaining match...  After watching that, it seems like Murray will give Roger a bigger challenge in the final than Rafa.  Roger seems fresh though, I still think he has it in the bag.
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2008, 07:40:42 PM »

Murray looked sharp & comfortable and playing the best tennis he has played all year.

Murray has actually been playing like this for a while now but i agree he went up a gear in those 1st two sets. but i feel he doesn't get the credit he deserves. People label him "heartless" or "Bottler" or "Not Mentally Strong"... when infact they are his best assets. He has beautiful variation to his game and it must be hard for his opponent to read him. To think he has beaten Federer twice, Djokovic and now Nadal... so all of a sudden people say he is playing well when in fact he has snowballed and gets better and better for every tournament he plays.

Nadal was clawing his way back and I honestly think the rain stoppage will be the best thing for Murray

I think the break suited Nadal more. He had a chance to go and view the tapes of what he was doing wrong and he came out all guns blazing... no one can say Nadal didn't play some of his best tennis.

Nadal didn't look like he was totally into the game, head wise. Something just seemed alittle off and I think it is safe to say Murray has more passion for the game than Nadal at this moment in time.

I think the argument of his hectic year will take its toll but he wasn't tired tonight and it was some of the best tennis i've seen. Both players were simply brilliant. Nadal came out like the No1 in the world and showed why he deserves that title. But i think Murray does that to you. He wears you down with his variation and patience and i think he got into Nadals head in those 1st two sets and i think he just had no answer, which hasn't happened to Nadal this year.

Murray is going to only get better in time.

Thats whats so exciting. We now have 4 players who on their day can beat any of the other 3. Brilliant.

Nadal keeled over and out of gas, now that's something I haven't seen before  hihi

Great match and some wonderful exchanges towards the end.

I know, Murray was moving him so well. And even with Nadals hectic season even his biggest fan couldn't say a set and a half was too much for him.

Some of the rallies were incredible. Both players were playing close to their peak i believe so it was so gripping. I was really impressed with Nadal when he came to net, which i have never been before. Its scary that Nadal, Djokovic & Murray are so young too.

Nadal just seemed to run out of steam after he was broken in that final set

Well if he did then he needs fitness training because he only played a set and a half.... i think maybe it was more mental tiredness.

Should be a great final.

yeah there is a story there whatever isn't there. Murray's 1st grand slam and emerging talent. or Federer back in the business of winning a major.

Federer has to start favourite with the extra rest time and all his experience in finals, but Murray has beaten him twice and i think Murrays slice backhand might cause Federer's tempremental forehand some problems.

Oh and i'd just like to point out that i've been saying for a while Murray would be in a Slam final in the not to distant future. My comments were met with a far bit of cynasism but i'm really glad he has got himself there and its testiment to his mental strength and heart that many say he lacks that he is in the US Open final.

As for Nadal... he has gone up in my opinion alot this year, showing he more than just a clay court player, he has improved vastly in many areas and is always polite in defeat and humble in victory. He is the best player in the world right now but i think he just ran into a Murray masterclass in those first two sets and it was always gonna be tough to come back against Murray when he was serving so well.

[/color]

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2008, 07:03:15 AM »

Well too bad  no

I thought Nadal had it when he was 3-1 up in the 4th and 0-30., but Murray kept strong and won the game. That was an illusion anyway, Andy again seemed the fitter, fresher and the better player. Nadal was really struggling to hold serve through the set it ws a matter of time for Murray to break back and break again to clinch the set and the match.

Good win for him, he deserves to be in the final. He's got a fair chance against FedEX, he's defeated him twice so it's a tough call. Roger played very good against the Djoker, he probably got the confidence he needed by beating a top player in such a dominant fashion...it'll be interesting to watch.

I believe Federer will win in 4 though.

I do not think though Roger in unhappy about his rival today. Andy deserved a final spot, but if you asked Federer last night after the Nadal - Murray game which player would he like to face in the final, I have no doubt he'd picked Murray. A mediocre Nadal (the one we saw in the semifinal on both days against Murray) is still a much dangerous threat to FEDERER than any player at the top of his game now (like Andy). That's the way it is...Nadal has beaten Federer so many times that Roger's mind frame is a bit different when he's facing the spaniard than any other player. Andy is 2-1 I believe against the swiss, but Nadal is 12-5 or something like that. It's been only two months from Wimbledon and I'm sure Roger still has nightmares about that match,....

Now, about Nadal last night...well, he wasnt on top of his game at all. There are some things that are simply undeniable and Nadal was simply tired. I dont think the match we saw last night was brilliant at all. Murray was, but not Nadal. If you think Nadal displayed a similar effort than he did against Murray in Wimbledon then we are not on the same page. Nadal lacked the depth, fitness and the confidence he had in Wimbledon against Murray.

I'm not the only one saying that, check the match reviews at the US open site or atp tour... they all say Nadal was just tired. He was struggling with the serve, he couldnt move properly to reach out Murray's returns, his forehands were all short and soft...GNRfan mentions how can he be tired after one set an a half? Well, there's nothing wrong with Nadal fitness, as a matter of fact, his fitness is one of the key factors that's taken him this far...it's the fact that he's played 35 more matches this year than Andy Murray, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic. That's a huge factor to be taken into consideration...

Im not taken anything away from Murray's win. He deserved, he was the better player. No doubt. However, we didnt see Nadal fit enough to beat such a quality player. If Nadal is playing at 70% he can beat Fish, Querry, Troicky...but not Murray nor Djokovic nor Federer. He needs to be 100% fit to win any of those match ups, especially if those are played on hard court, and Nadal last night was not even at 60%.

Nadal will only play two more ATP tournaments in 2008. That's is Madrid Master Series and the Master Cup. He needs some time off!!

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 07:05:14 AM by Ignatius » Logged
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2008, 11:54:44 AM »

I thought Nadal had it when he was 3-1 up in the 4th and 0-30., but Murray kept strong and won the game. That was an illusion anyway, Andy again seemed the fitter, fresher and the better player. Nadal was really struggling to hold serve through the set it ws a matter of time for Murray to break back and break again to clinch the set and the match.

Me too dude. I was cursing at the TV.

I believe Federer will win in 4 though.

1st set is so important for Murray! if he can get that i think Federer could be rocked

I do not think though Roger in unhappy about his rival today. Andy deserved a final spot, but if you asked Federer last night after the Nadal - Murray game which player would he like to face in the final, I have no doubt he'd picked Murray. A mediocre Nadal (the one we saw in the semifinal on both days against Murray) is still a much dangerous threat to FEDERER than any player at the top of his game now (like Andy). That's the way it is...Nadal has beaten Federer so many times that Roger's mind frame is a bit different when he's facing the spaniard than any other player. Andy is 2-1 I believe against the swiss, but Nadal is 12-5 or something like that. It's been only two months from Wimbledon and I'm sure Roger still has nightmares about that match,....

I agree. If you ask Federer who he'd prefer to beat.... he'd say Nadal coz i think he needs that condfidence against him but i believe he will be happier playing Murray especially having being rested up for two days.

Now, about Nadal last night...well, he wasnt on top of his game at all. There are some things that are simply undeniable and Nadal was simply tired. I dont think the match we saw last night was brilliant at all. Murray was, but not Nadal. If you think Nadal displayed a similar effort than he did against Murray in Wimbledon then we are not on the same page. Nadal lacked the depth, fitness and the confidence he had in Wimbledon against Murray.

Yeah but you see at Wimbledon , Murray played on of his worst games of the year. Yeah Nadal played well, but Murray let him. This week Murray just didn't let Nadal play well for sustained perioid of time by using his variation so well. Murray is one of the only guys i know who doesn't mind hitting to Nadal's forehand because he knows 90% of the time Nadal will be hitting into his strong Backhand.

And i think Nadal was playing well yesterday. Maybe not 100% but then i dont think Murray played as well as he did in the first set either. In fact i dont think he played his best game in the 3rd & 4th sets. Just did enough.

I think saying if Nadal plays his best Murray doesn't have a chance is disrespectful to the job Murray has done in the past 12 months he is in that group now, he has beating all the players ahead of him and done so with style. I'd admit Nadal is the best in the world but on Hard Court i just don't think he is. I believe that Nadal is king of clay, Federer is still the best on grass and on Hard we have 4 players who are hard to seperate. I remember you telling me that Nadal always ran out of steam in the 2nd half of the season... well maybe it not a coincidence that a majority of the 2nd half of the year is hard courts.

I'm not the only one saying that, check the match reviews at the US open site or atp tour... they all say Nadal was just tired.

I'm Sorry dude but thats just rubbish IMO i dont care if he's played 100 more matches he is the No1 in the world and with his fitness and young age he should be able to go and play for 2 sets without using fitness or tiredness as an excuse. Yeah if it goes to 5 sets and 4 hours .... maybe i'd say yeah ok tiredness featured heavilly. But they said in commentry last night that Murray had played more hours of tennis than Nadal at the US Open and McEnroe said that he believed that the Rain would help Nadal because he will be fresh and tiredness shouldn't effect him. He just got beat!

and Nadal last night was not even at 60%.

Oh Please. well if he was at 60% i guess Murray was at 70% coz there wasn't much between them last night. I believe Nadal is the best player in the world right now and he came out of the blocks at 90% minimum and i believe in that 3rd set Murray played quite badly... Nadal saved 7 break points. Even Nadal can't do that against Murray playing at 60%.

Nadal will only play two more ATP tournaments in 2008. That's is Madrid Master Series and the Master Cup. He needs some time off!!

I think he needs some time off. and it will only do him good. yes

I think next year he has to take a hard look at the way he books his tournaments. Booking the tournaments you play in is a big part of tennis for the top players Federer used to book himself so well when he was on that incredible run. Maybe Nadal was desperate to get to No1 and thats why he played so many. But he's gotta wise up if he honestly thinks he is out of the US Open because of how many smaller tournaments he has played this year. Because if he believes that then he only has himself to blame.

I just dont see Murray beating Nadal soon, for two obvious reasons.

1.- Mindset. Murray has lost 5 times to Nadal. That, whether you like it or not, adds more pressure on the losing player than the winner. Nadal feels more comfortable playing him cause he's always beaten Murray, whereas with Novak, he's lost 4 times against him, so the mindset is different as he doesnt see himself as a clear favorite (specially on hard courts).

2.- Style. Murray is not the kind of player that can really put a threat in Nadal. Rafa, struggles the most against the heavy hitters who happen to have their best day; look at Tsonga, Blake, Youzhny, Djokovic...all those players have beaten Nadal on their best day. And Nadal didnt really have his day when those loses came along. I see Murray as more of a moonballer than a heavy, agressive tennis player. He's got a good all around game, but Nadal doesnt really feel threaten (yet) by it.

Mindset... Check

Style... Check

ok
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 12:30:02 PM by Gnrfan » Logged

[/color]

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2008, 01:27:03 PM »

I think saying if Nadal plays his best Murray doesn't have a chance is disrespectful to the job Murray has done in the past 12 months he is in that group now, he has beating all the players ahead of him and done so with style. I'd admit Nadal is the best in the world but on Hard Court i just don't think he is. I believe that Nadal is king of clay, Federer is still the best on grass and on Hard we have 4 players who are hard to seperate. I remember you telling me that Nadal always ran out of steam in the 2nd half of the season... well maybe it not a coincidence that a majority of the 2nd half of the year is hard courts.

It's not disrespectful at all. Nadal, right now is the best player in the world, better than Murray, Djokovic and Federer. It's funny how you justified Murray's loss at Wimbly cause he played like crap and now last night you say both players played brilliant tennis. You even go further by saying Nadal could not play the same way he played Andy at Wimbly cause Murray didnt let him??  confused

Dude, watch those matches again, Nadal played like crap yesterday, it was not as bad as he did two nights ago, but definitely not at the same level ha has played on the first half of the season.

I'm Sorry dude but thats just rubbish IMO i dont care if he's played 100 more matches he is the No1 in the world and with his fitness and young age he should be able to go and play for 2 sets without using fitness or tiredness as an excuse. Yeah if it goes to 5 sets and 4 hours .... maybe i'd say yeah ok tiredness featured heavilly. But they said in commentry last night that Murray had played more hours of tennis than Nadal at the US Open and McEnroe said that he believed that the Rain would help Nadal because he will be fresh and tiredness shouldn't effect him. He just got beat!

Dude, here we go again...you think 35 more matches in one year shouldnt affect in any way?Huh this puzzles me to no end. The extra day Nadal had did some good to RAfa, no doubt, but it was just not enough. Why is so hard to understand?? Nadal has played 35 more matches than Murray...many of those have taken place during the last 4 months.

Nadal was TIRED. That's one of the reasons why he lost.

Oh Please. well if he was at 60% i guess Murray was at 70% coz there wasn't much between them last night. I believe Nadal is the best player in the world right now and he came out of the blocks at 90% minimum and i believe in that 3rd set Murray played quite badly... Nadal saved 7 break points. Even Nadal can't do that against Murray playing at 60%.

Ok, this is ridiculous! Murray makes it to his first GS final and all of the sudden he's at the same level as Nadal...

Get your facts straight. Murray has done NOTHING yet. He's won 1 Master Series tournament and some shit tournaments you mentioned Nadal likes to play so much. Nadal's won 5 GS, 31 tournaments, 12 or 13 MS...Murray still has a long way to go if he wants to accomplish 1/3 of the Nadal's achievements!

I think next year he has to take a hard look at the way he books his tournaments. Booking the tournaments you play in is a big part of tennis for the top players Federer used to book himself so well when he was on that incredible run. Maybe Nadal was desperate to get to No1 and thats why he played so many. But he's gotta wise up if he honestly thinks he is out of the US Open because of how many smaller tournaments he has played this year. Because if he believes that then he only has himself to blame.

What?? man, you need to get your facts straight on this one too...The only smaller tournament he's booked this year was Chennai in Jan. Murray has won Doha and Marseille this year (shit tournaments)...

You would think that Nadal has had to played small tournaments to reach the number one, but hey, look at the smaller tournaments Nadal's won this year:

Montecarlo -->This is a Master series tournament (as you know there are nine of this every year) - Murray also played
Barcelona --> An international series tournament - This is a step down from the Masters Series, but still an important tournament - Murray played an lost in 3rd round.
Hamburg -->Another master series - Nadal beat Murray in two sets
Roland Garros
Queens -->Grass tournament.- It?s an international tennis tournament. Andy lost against The Djoker in the semis
Wimbledon --> Nadal beat Murray
Toronto -->Another master series -- Nadal beat Murray
Olympics

Those are the 8 tournaments Nadal's won this year.  6 major tournaments and 2 international series. Where amongst this are the smaller tournaments?

On a side note. Nadal is not just the king of clay. If you compare his Hard court results with Murray's hard court results Nadal is still thousand miles ahead.

Nadal's won 4 MS in Hard Courts (he's also reached two other finals)
Olympics
2 other Tournaments (Dubai and Hong Kong)

Anyway, we could be having this discussion for hours and still not really prove anything. I've been wacthing tennis pretty much all my life and also have followed Nadal's career from the early stages 5 years ago...people tend to misjudge Nadal's ability to learn and develop better tennis skills so he can win in all surfaces...He's won big tournaments in each and every surface and some people still call him the King of Clay. You talk about disrespectful earlier, calling Nadal the King of Clay is just stupid...simply because he wins tournaments every where he goes. I mean, the guy has reached the Wimbly final 3 times and won the last  one...who would've thought that the king of clay could accomplish that??

Well, enough for today...I'd like to know what Andy told Rafa at the net when they finished the game. Seems like there's some good vibe between the two.

Cant wait for tonight. This is the real deal, we'll see if Andy has it or not

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 01:28:34 PM by Ignatius » Logged
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2008, 02:32:43 PM »

It's not disrespectful at all. Nadal, right now is the best player in the world, better than Murray, Djokovic and Federer. It's funny how you justified Murray's loss at Wimbly cause he played like crap and now last night you say both players played brilliant tennis. You even go further by saying Nadal could not play the same way he played Andy at Wimbly cause Murray didnt let him??  confused

Dude, watch those matches again, Nadal played like crap yesterday, it was not as bad as he did two nights ago, but definitely not at the same level ha has played on the first half of the season.

I agree Nadal is the best player in the world. I'm just saying that sometimes he plays well and loses. Nadal played like crap in the first two sets but i refuse to believe that he played crap yesterday.

Dude, here we go again...you think 35 more matches in one year shouldnt affect in any way?Huh this puzzles me to no end. The extra day Nadal had did some good to RAfa, no doubt, but it was just not enough. Why is so hard to understand?? Nadal has played 35 more matches than Murray...many of those have taken place during the last 4 months.

Nadal was TIRED. That's one of the reasons why he lost.

No i do understand.

i'm sure it affects him, But i'm saying its not an excuse for last nights tennis. Are you telling me that Rafa Nadal is sooooo tired he can't manage 1 and a half sets after 24 hours rest?

and you're right its One of the reasons he lost.

It's funny how you justified Murray's loss at Wimbly cause he played like crap and now last night you say both players played brilliant tennis. You even go further by saying Nadal could not play the same way he played Andy at Wimbly cause Murray didnt let him??  confused

Well you do the same with Nadal. I'm saying if they play 100% Nadal will win 9 out of 10 times... But what i'm also saying is that Nadal only has to be at 90% on Hard Courts for Murray to be able to beat him. None of this 60% rubbish. Thats like saying Murray can only beat Nadal if Nadal is half the player. and i think thats taking away from how good Murray was.

Ok, this is ridiculous! Murray makes it to his first GS final and all of the sudden he's at the same level as Nadal...

Get your facts straight. Murray has done NOTHING yet. He's won 1 Master Series tournament and some shit tournaments you mentioned Nadal likes to play so much. Nadal's won 5 GS, 31 tournaments, 12 or 13 MS...Murray still has a long way to go if he wants to accomplish 1/3 of the Nadal's achievements!

I have never said that Murray is as good as Nadal... Not once. In Fact i have said several time that Nadal is the best player in the world. But he is now at the stage in his career that on Hard Courts he can beat Nadal, Djokovic & Federer. You have to remember that Nadal has a 4 year head start on Murray in terms of his Pro career and i believe it was only this year that Nadal won any major aside from the french and some might say that as well as Nadal has played, Federer has played worse.

Murray will never acheive what Nadal has IMO and i have never said he will. But tournament wins are wins when you play the quality type of player that Murray has.

What?? man, you need to get your facts straight on this one too...The only smaller tournament he's booked this year was Chennai in Jan. Murray has won Doha and Marseille this year (shit tournaments)...

You would think that Nadal has had to played small tournaments to reach the number one, but hey, look at the smaller tournaments Nadal's won this year:

Montecarlo -->This is a Master series tournament (as you know there are nine of this every year) - Murray also played
Barcelona --> An international series tournament - This is a step down from the Masters Series, but still an important tournament - Murray played an lost in 3rd round.
Hamburg -->Another master series - Nadal beat Murray in two sets
Roland Garros
Queens -->Grass tournament.- It?s an international tennis tournament. Andy lost against The Djoker in the semis
Wimbledon --> Nadal beat Murray
Toronto -->Another master series -- Nadal beat Murray
Olympics

Those are the 8 tournaments Nadal's won this year.  6 major tournaments and 2 international series. Where amongst this are the smaller tournaments?

You can't have it both ways... you can't say he's too tired to win but then say he's chosen his tournaments well.... if you are a sucessful player like he has been this year then you have to expect this sort of thing. I mean its possible Nadal could win every tournament he enters... and he'll expect to win every match he plays. So he knows how much he can take and if he's too tired to by the time the US Open rolls around every year then something is clearly wrong.

Please dont get aggressive with comments like "Get Your facts right" if yours are not. its a conversation. I enjoy talking about Tennis with you on here coz you are passionate about it like me. But i wont bother if you get aggressive. i'm allowed my own opinion like you are. I don't need the hassle. Just getting that straight.

On a side note. Nadal is not just the king of clay. If you compare his Hard court results with Murray's hard court results Nadal is still thousand miles ahead.

Yeah if you compare him to Murray... a guy who has only become a big threat this year. Right now Nadal is the king of Clay, Federer is the best grass player and you'd have to say that Federer is the best Hard court player. i think thats undeniable. Nadal has made huge strides on Grass and improved alot on Hard courts but you couldn't say he was the best on anything other than clay! I mean if you're talking Hard Court Grand Slams he hasn't won anything more than Murray. Maybe its just due to his 2nd half of season tiredness but Grand Slams are Grand Slams.

I've been wacthing tennis pretty much all my life and also have followed Nadal's career from the early stages 5 years ago.

people tend to misjudge Nadal's ability to learn and develop better tennis skills. You talk about disrespectful earlier, calling Nadal the King of Clay is just stupid

Yeah i gathered you have and thats why i like talking to you as opposed to my friends who think a slice shot has no merits coz its "slower". I played tennis a quite a high level until i was 15  and have been interested all my life too.

And are you really saying that calling Nadal the "King Of Clay" is disrespectful? its a honour! and you could hardly call him the "King of the Hard Courts" when he hasn't won a Hard Court Grand Slam yet!

Well, enough for today...I'd like to know what Andy told Rafa at the net when they finished the game. Seems like there's some good vibe between the two.

Cant wait for tonight. This is the real deal, we'll see if Andy has it or not

I reckon it was something to do with him being his hardest opponent.

So does that mean if Federer, who has got to the last 5 finals beats Murray in his first... Murray doesn't have it?  Roll Eyes

[/color]

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: