Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 03:35:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guitar Hero: Guns N' Roses
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guitar Hero: Guns N' Roses  (Read 14410 times)
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 02:46:06 PM »

My whole dispute with GH: GNR is what era will they use.  If it has CD songs on it, then they have to use the current line up.

what era do you think they would use?!?! seriously....the era that sold 100 million records or the one that has not put out a record yet?  thats not a shot at the new band....I just dont see Guitar Hero putting out a game soley for a band who has not released any music yet...they are going to want to include Paradise City, Nightrain etc....

its not like its a different band, its just different members.   theres no reason they couldn't have paradise city or nightrain on the game being played by Robin, Richard, and Ron.

could not disagree with you more

theres no reason.   like it or not, the old guys are history and there is no way in hell they would be included.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 09:02:14 PM »

My whole dispute with GH: GNR is what era will they use.  If it has CD songs on it, then they have to use the current line up.

what era do you think they would use?!?! seriously....the era that sold 100 million records or the one that has not put out a record yet?  thats not a shot at the new band....I just dont see Guitar Hero putting out a game soley for a band who has not released any music yet...they are going to want to include Paradise City, Nightrain etc....

its not like its a different band, its just different members.   theres no reason they couldn't have paradise city or nightrain on the game being played by Robin, Richard, and Ron.

theres no reason.   like it or not, the old guys are history and there is no way in hell they would be included.

by your logic it would be ok to have Slash, Duff and Izzy in the game playing 'Chinese Democracy" tracks ....that they had nothing to do with....just like Robin, Tommy and so on and nothing to do with Appetite or the Illusions...
The Chad Cometh
Mike Stewart is God
VIP

Don't think Axl! Makes my dick itch!

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 09:57:14 PM »

by your logic it would be ok to have Slash, Duff and Izzy in the game playing 'Chinese Democracy" tracks ....that they had nothing to do with....just like Robin, Tommy and so on and nothing to do with Appetite or the Illusions...

Um ... no.

I don't see Slash, Duff and Izzy playing Chinese Dem songs at their live gigs, do you? If Robin Richard and Ron have been playing those songs live with Axl as members of Guns and Roses then it is fine IMO.

I was living to the best of my ability, now I'm living in correctional facility
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 10:48:41 PM »

no, that wouldn't be ok because those guys aren't guns n roses members.

a guns n roses game should feature guns n roses members playing guns n roses songs.  that is all.
uzisuicide2002
VIP

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!?!?!?!

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 11:47:58 PM »

i can see this happening sometime next year. They could put the new album up for DL for ROCK BAND like Metallica is doing. Them having there own game like Aerosmith would be bad ass. I'd play it like crazy lol  rofl

GN'R Boston 02
GN'R NYC 06
GN'R Mass 06
GN'R NJ 11
VR Mass 05
GN'R Foxboro 16
GN'R Boston 17
VR Mass 07
Slash Boston 10
Steven Adler NYC 11
Slash Foxwoods 14
Slash Providence 15
St_Jimmyuk
VIP

Im Right next door to hell...

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »

i would not have thought that guitar hero makers would want to have too many "band" versions of their game as sales would dwindle.  I mean they have AS version and now there is going to be a Metallica version so i doubt there will be too many more, unless they really space them out time wise.  And is the Metallica version going to be like GH3? or like world tour? no one knows anything yet.

- They call me Lenny...... But that's not my name, that's not my name.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 09:32:04 PM »

if Duff, Izzy, Slash are still getting royalties for their work on AFD UYI, etc; legally, if their intellectual property is used in a video game I think there is a way in hell they'd be included-Axl may own the name, but he doesn't own all the song writing credits
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 09:38:09 PM »

no, that wouldn't be ok because those guys aren't guns n roses members.

a guns n roses game should feature guns n roses members playing guns n roses songs.  that is all.

depnds on what songs are featured-your logic is pretty flawed here-selling something like this, the new members have zero songwriting credits for a large portion of the GnR song catalouge; you may not like it, but th old members are still a vital piece of this band when talking about selling a GNR themed video game; unless of course they only use material exclusively from Chinese Democracy- which outside of the initial curiosiity, would probably hamper sales rather than help

-and this post as nothing to do with my opinion of old GnR vs new GnR, former members vs curent members - but strictly from a legal/intellectual property point of view and marketing / sales
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2008, 12:15:47 PM »

I think, because of all the hassles, etc, we're unlikely to see a GH: Guns n Roses.

I wouldn't rule out, however, a "track pack" for GH, Rock band, or both.

That way the images, band members, etc aren't an issue.  But the music can be sold for the fans.

I think I'd just about explode if Appetite...or even Greatest Hits...went up for Rock Band.  I'd pay a good $15 to $20 for it....which is more than I'd pay for the ALBUMS, new, at most stores.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2008, 12:20:25 PM »

On the "what if" note, though:

If done in the vein of GH: Aerosmith.....

Can you imagine the video snippets/"documentary" pieces?

Ye gods...

Not only would the cast of characters need to be huge, they'd need an entire DVD JUST for the documentary pieces.

No holds barred?  It'd get messy.

Watered down?  It'd get destroyed by the fanbase.

Together again,
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2008, 04:38:57 PM »

if Duff, Izzy, Slash are still getting royalties for their work on AFD UYI, etc; legally, if their intellectual property is used in a video game I think there is a way in hell they'd be included-Axl may own the name, but he doesn't own all the song writing credits

that has jack shit to do with anything.   quit being a troll for the old lineup.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2008, 04:56:35 PM »

that has jack shit to do with anything.   quit being a troll for the old lineup.

actually , it does- it has nothing to do with being a troll for the old lineup but with legalities-just b/c you can't see the facts doesn't mean those issues don't exist-even Axl would tell you that
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 05:35:13 PM »

it's shocking how ignorant this post is considering all the money to be made off this- can you imagine the number of lawsuits that would be filed if they did that?  do you have any incliniation what a copywright is?  apparantly not

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 05:38:12 PM by classicgunsfan » Logged
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 10:05:33 PM »

it's shocking how ignorant this post is considering all the money to be made off this- can you imagine the number of lawsuits that would be filed if they did that?  do you have any incliniation what a copywright is?  apparantly not

i dont know what a fucking copywright is, but i do know what a copyright is, and this wouldnt' be violating any copyright.    i suppose if metallica used their current bass player over jason newsted or cliff burton on an old song that would also be a copyright violation?      i know copyrights, its how i make a living.
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 08:42:15 AM »

Someone is actually expecting Guitar Hero: Gun's N Roses featuring the NEW band to get released before Chinese Democracy? Shocked Shocked
It's only step away from Guitar Hero: Lefttodecay covering GNR Wanna buy?

I suppose no1 here knows jackshit about what sort of a copyright mess Guitar Hero: GNR  actually would invoke and involve, which is a huge shame. Would be fun to know if its even remotely possible to ever see it happening.
Unfortunatelly this surely  isn't stuff the game makers could just  sort out with record label, going  "past" Axl,Slash,Duff, etc.

If you have a project that requires ringing Axl's, Slash's, etc's doorbell and getting them to agree on this shit..well, GL with all that:p

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 08:55:25 AM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 09:24:18 AM »

i dont know what a fucking copywright is, but i do know what a copyright is, and this wouldnt' be violating any copyright.    i suppose if metallica used their current bass player over jason newsted or cliff burton on an old song that would also be a copyright violation?      i know copyrights, its how i make a living.

I'm not gonna jump into the midst of this big debate (we've done it before...), but:

There's is drastic difference in the situation you cite above, and GnR's.....basically in the song writing credits.

For example:

I have "...and Justice for all" sitting right in front of me.

Guess how many song writing credits Newsted has on it?

One.  "Blackened".

Now let's look at "Appetite for Destruction".

Every song is listed as written by "Guns n Roses".

That means they SHARE the copyright and songwriting credits on that material.

See the difference?

It's not about the "performances" or the people physically playing the instruments at any given time.  It's that, as a songwriter, you have some say in how  and where a song can be used.  Not in live performances of the material, but in any commercial release of it.  And with that right, you can "yea or nay" any release using it.  So you can, in essence, insist your likeness is used...or you refuse to sign off on the use of the material.  It's that simple when it comes right down to it, really.

There IS compulsory license, but I don't think it would apply to the video game use of master tracks. I also don't think (though it's a bit of a legal quagmire) it would allow for the rerecording of the old material by the current incarnation of the band.  It MIGHT, but I'd expect a prolonged legal battle over doing so, because compulsory license would be getting applied to something it never has before....
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 09:31:05 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 12:30:05 PM »

apparantly some people just don't understand this
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2008, 12:34:24 PM »

my sympathies to your clients

oh, and good example about Cliff Burton hihi Don't think he'd be raising any issues about a copyright violation I suppose
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 12:43:28 PM by classicgunsfan » Logged
The_Wretched
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2008, 12:48:38 PM »

^ his family would.... i'm sure that Metallica have arranged for royalties to swing thier way. I doubt Lars is that huge of a prick to screw over Cliff's family.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2008, 01:23:44 PM »

^ his family would.... i'm sure that Metallica have arranged for royalties to swing thier way. I doubt Lars is that huge of a prick to screw over Cliff's family.

Anyone know how many songwriting credits he has amongst Metallica's catalog?

His performance royalties lilkely wouldn't/couldn't get in the way of the use of the master tracks......

Together again,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: