Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 08:25:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Entertainment Weekly suggests GN'R could perform at VMA's
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Entertainment Weekly suggests GN'R could perform at VMA's  (Read 117700 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2008, 12:05:59 PM »

cb I'll most likely act exactly the same if I see GNR at VMAs this year. Its sorta  like when my team scores a goal.

The loud monotonous scream at the beginning of WTTJ perhaps?

guess he heard someone saying 'wake up it's time to die!' in his dream.
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2008, 12:57:05 PM »

I don't think people took issue with the sound. I've listened to the soundboards and there are flaws on both Jungle and Paradise City, but for the most part it's a mesmerizing performance.

The issue in my estimation was that the band didn't look, well, like a band. One criticism of the new lineup has been that they were just a bunch of "hired guns" and while some of us saw through the surface, others didn't. The problem seemed to me like it was that the band lacked a cohesive image.

Axl was in leather pants and a jersey which fit well with Bucket, but Robin was really goth, Tommy was decked out in punk garb, and Brain was in cargo shorts. It just didn't look like a band. While I contest that they sounded like one, both at the VMAs and on tour, it's something that most people can't get over.

But GN'R in 2006/2007 both looked and sounded incredible. Put that out at the VMAs this time around and they'll lick your hand and call your mommy.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2008, 01:35:34 PM »

I'd say the look of the 2002 band was incredible and that of 2006/7 was credible, cool and normal.  Tongue

Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2008, 07:15:37 PM »

I'd say the look of the 2002 band was incredible

I think it was more like non credible.  Tongue

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2008, 07:34:07 PM »

The loud monotonous scream at the beginning of WTTJ perhaps?
The way he opened wttj that night was amazing, you will look long before finding a live-recording where it's better.

He looked great imo, I wear all kinds of clothes. Dress with ties, hiphop'ish, rock-based, academic etc...
anything goes as long as it looks good peace

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Mr. Nik™
VIP

This I Love

« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2008, 07:44:15 PM »

The way he opened wttj that night was amazing

I LOVE that scream.... absolutely fuck'ntastic.... first time it "schoked" me

my signature... starts now!!?
morally pure, exact, calm, serenity, peace, reighteousness, forgive, eternal, thank, passion, enthusiastic, respect
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2008, 08:51:36 PM »

I loved the 02 VMA performance. It was before I started coming on the forums so I had no idea they were gonna be there. Every time Jimmy Fallon said something close to being a "GNR comment" I got more and more excited. Then when the band came on I went nuts! I was literally yelling and screaming at the tv.  peace

I'm with you.  I remember Fallon teasing the audience about the "mystery" closer, and then saying just before going to commercial to "have a little patience."  I literally flew up out of bed and yelled out "NO-FUCKING-WAY!"  and started pacing the room and setting up every recording device I had in the house.  I literally couldn't believe what was happening.   Although I wasn't thrilled with the...disjointed look the band had as a whole, I was in awe of seeing Tommy onstage with Axl, watching Buckethead "do his job" (as Fallon said afterword), and *finally* seeing Guns take center stage in the public consciousness again.   My heroes had returned, and it was amazing.

Not as amazing as being at that first Hammerstein show years later, mind you, but pretty great nonetheless.    beer
SLCPUNK
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2008, 08:58:50 PM »

I loved the 02 VMA performance. It was before I started coming on the forums so I had no idea they were gonna be there. Every time Jimmy Fallon said something close to being a "GNR comment" I got more and more excited. Then when the band came on I went nuts! I was literally yelling and screaming at the tv.  peace

Me too, a very exciting moment.
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2008, 09:11:56 PM »

Bring Fallon back just to introduce GN'R. Even though I'm not his biggest fan, he certainly knows how to host an awards show and introduct the greatest band in the world.  Cheesy
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2008, 10:15:10 PM »

Bring Fallon back just to introduce GN'R. Even though I'm not his biggest fan, he certainly knows how to host an awards show and introduct the greatest band in the world.  Cheesy

He is a serious fan of the band.  Obviously, because he was at the Hammerstein shows.

God, I was so excited when they hit the stage in 02, then getting to see them shortly after that at MSG was amazing.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #190 on: July 20, 2008, 10:17:47 PM »

I'd just seen the band in London a few days earlier. Then on a whim, after reading the rumors, stayed up to watch the VMAs.  It was pretty intense at 4am or whatever time it was to see GN'R live on TV.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #191 on: July 20, 2008, 11:40:49 PM »

I wasn't active on the boards back then so I didn't know of the rumors.  I actually watched the show up close to the end and I think I even heard them announce something special was coming up, but I made the mistake of thinking it wouldn't be that big a deal.  I went to bed and didn't get to see it live.  I found out about it the next day and felt like punching myself in the face.  I watched the replays repeatedly that weekend though to try and make up for it.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #192 on: July 21, 2008, 12:12:31 AM »

As much as it'd be cool to be totally surprised by a performance I hope someone eventually says yay or nay on this rumor. The hype is huge already and it's only July!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #193 on: July 21, 2008, 09:29:25 AM »

I think a surprise performance would be a little more difficult to pull off these days.  I think we should probably know ahead of time.  When do they start announcing performers anyway?  Gotta be pretty soon I would think, next month probably?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #194 on: July 21, 2008, 08:11:37 PM »

After watching the ESPYs last night, Justin Timberlake made a case for host of the VMAs.

I though he did really well. He took some risks, was very animated, and tried to entertain and fire up the crowd.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #195 on: July 21, 2008, 10:55:18 PM »

After watching the ESPYs last night, Justin Timberlake made a case for host of the VMAs.

I though he did really well. He took some risks, was very animated, and tried to entertain and fire up the crowd.
Yeah I hate to admit it, he didn't do too bad a job.  I so wanted him to fail miserably, but he pulled it off pretty well.

Back to Jimmy Fallon though for a second.  I have a tough time envisioning Axl and the guys going on The Tonight Show or Letterman to promote the album.  Not saying it can't/won't happen, I just can't see it, you know what I'm saying?  Anyway, when Leno's contract runs out Conan is supposed to take over the Tonight Show and Jimmy Fallon is supposed to slip into Conan's time slot.  Fallon being such a big GNR fan, you'd know he be stoked to get GNR on his show.  Now that is something I can see happening. 

mrbucketfoot
« Reply #196 on: July 21, 2008, 10:59:10 PM »

Ditto Faldor, but lets hope it's to promote a Europe tour or something and not the album as Fallon won't be on until quite late in 2009.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #197 on: July 21, 2008, 11:04:27 PM »

Ditto Faldor, but lets hope it's to promote a Europe tour or something and not the album as Fallon won't be on until quite late in 2009.
Yeah, let's hope Axl's not waiting for Fallon to get that job to release the beast.  I'd love to see them on that show, maybe the premiere, maybe GNR will be back on top of the world by then and Fallon will devote the entire show to GNR.

grog mug
Legend

« Reply #198 on: July 22, 2008, 02:09:11 AM »

I'm guessing they might open the show...hopefully MTV will let them close again but I don't think "The Frogs" band name is going to work this time..
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #199 on: July 22, 2008, 02:11:29 AM »

I'm guessing they might open the show...hopefully MTV will let them close again but I don't think "The Frogs" band name is going to work this time..

Pink blew it anyway. If you were listening closely, you would have caught on.

And open the show? Hell no. I doubt a big act like GN'R would open a show. Mid-card, maybe. It depends on the other acts. Especially if they're going tell if "soon is the word" there.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: