Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 08:45:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Entertainment Weekly suggests GN'R could perform at VMA's
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Entertainment Weekly suggests GN'R could perform at VMA's  (Read 117767 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2008, 05:07:49 PM »

don't forget chinese democracy.

It's a TV show, not a GNR concert... I don't think they'll could perform a "long" set.... maybe The Blues instead of Scom
then cd instead of pc.

the reason is
if there's gonna be a release date this year. I'm not saying they'd need it,
SINSHINE
VIP

"I knew the storm was getting closer!"

« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2008, 05:28:47 PM »

It's a TV show, not a GNR concert... I don't think they'll could perform a "long" set....

Agreed. And I hope they do not do another medley.

How 'bout they take the stage to open the show (tick tock, Axl) without ANY introduction...just walk out and stand there and wait...let the audience build up get louder and louder until Axl yells "Do you know where the FUCK YOU ARE...WAKE UP...TIME TO DIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!..."

...and then launch into 'Shackler's Revenge!'

"You could have a steam train...if you'd just lay down your tracks!" - P. Gabriel
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #142 on: July 17, 2008, 05:51:53 PM »

Just one or two songs would be great. A hard rocker and an epic ballad (aka Dream On or something) maybe.

Here today...ready to rock
Perfect Criminal
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #143 on: July 17, 2008, 06:06:48 PM »

Should open the show with Shackler, period.  That is their best move IMo.  But only if the public gets Shackler to listen to at least a few weeks before the show.  With Axl's, shall we say, "inconsistent" voice when he performs live (and don't hate me cause you all know what I mean), people would react better if they knew the song up front. 
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2008, 06:19:56 PM »

Two songs Schacklers, Better should be played.  If they do Robin will be there.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
patcooper
VIP

« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2008, 07:32:41 PM »

doesnt robin need time to rehearse with them before the vma's?
and why would mtv want them to play a song that no one has heard yet?
isn't the point that SR is debuted in RB2 not on the vma's?
mtv and the vma's suck every year. why would gnr want to play at the vma's? mtv core audience is bubblegum girls and rap fans, not gnr fans or even hard rockers. i wouldn't  hold my breath to see them there.
King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2008, 07:45:26 PM »

I just noticed that the first leg of the NIN tour ends on Sept. 6 in California.  The VMA's are on Sept. 7 In California (The very next day).  He would have no problem playing with the band if they do indeed play the VMA's.

Seems like a performance is quite possible.

I think it would be better if the band didn't close the show, though. Too much hype in '02, and a substandard performance, in my honest opinion.

Opening the show with a new song from the "long awaited Chinese Democracy" would create quite a buzz, before the boy bands and lip-synchers ruin it.

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2008, 09:08:28 PM »

mtv and the vma's suck every year. why would gnr want to play at the vma's? mtv core audience is bubblegum girls and rap fans, not gnr fans or even hard rockers. i wouldn't  hold my breath to see them there.
I agree the VMA's have gotten pretty lame over the years.  Maybe I'm just getting older but I don't think I even bothered watching any more than 3 minutes worth last year.  It was awful.  I don't know if it's quite as important, or cool, as it used to be.  Maybe Axl and GNR could change that, it would work for me at least.  I'll suffer through every minute of it if it's confirmed they'll be on, as painful as that might be.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2008, 09:31:51 PM »

The VMA's used to be the greatest music show of all time.  I was at the show in LA when Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and GNR played...it was amazing. 

Now the show is basically a reflection of what tween girls are downloading from itunes.  Last year, the best performer was the Foo fighters...and they didn't even get to come to the show.  They made them play in some hotel room off site.  Even Justin Timberlake bashed the show for being too bland.  Now that's just sad.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
TheRaven
Rocker

« Reply #149 on: July 17, 2008, 10:29:55 PM »

Yes, but it isn't just about the people that would watch the VMAs, it's also about the press coverage. If they have a strong performance the press would be all over it (much like they were over Britney's poor performance). The key is to have a strong performance, because the press would probably rather write something negative than positive (negativity always sells), but they'll write something either way being that it's GN'R and the kick-off to Chinese Democracy (presumably, this time).
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #150 on: July 17, 2008, 11:30:25 PM »

I think a medley, at this point in time, would be redundant. They need to focus on 'Shackler' or whatever the first single is, and put all their energy and focus on the one song and kick it's ass. It would be a disaster to play any more older material. It's been done. It's over with. They've been played a million times, let this band and the new material take the spotlight. And it needs to be a HUGE production. Lots of lights and pyro and a big stage show. They need to make this a must-see event...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Shackler
Headliner

« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2008, 05:19:32 PM »

any update on this situation Mysteron peace

Like the tides done on the ocean, the waves already set in motion, the only one in this game that's lost is you!!!
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2008, 05:23:46 PM »

any update on this situation Mysteron peace

I know nothing right now
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2008, 05:57:52 PM »

I don't think it's necessary for GN'R to perform at the VMA's anymore.  The show is pathetic, and GN'R would bring much underserved attention to MTV.  MTV is lame, they'll get Britney again who can just move and not sing, they don't derserve to have Axl and the band play they're asses off for them.

King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2008, 07:03:08 PM »

I don't think it's necessary for GN'R to perform at the VMA's anymore.  The show is pathetic, and GN'R would bring much underserved attention to MTV.  MTV is lame, they'll get Britney again who can just move and not sing, they don't derserve to have Axl and the band play they're asses off for them.

Well, keep in mind that Metallica's new album is due out in September. What if they performed at the VMA's to promote a new song? The timing would be perfect.

Not saying that WILL happen, but the VMA's tend to be the highest rated MTV program every year. It's a great opportunity for musical acts of all styles to get noticed from it. Certainly both Guns and Metallica, after their bomb that was "St. Anger", could benefit from performing at the VMA's.

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2008, 07:20:12 PM »

The questions is, for how long can the VMAs keep getting worse and worse?

They've gotta bounce back some year right?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2008, 07:20:58 PM »

I'm all for the VMA's.  the show itself sucks, but you can't beat the exposure.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2008, 07:23:59 PM »

The questions is, for how long can the VMAs keep getting worse and worse?

They've gotta bounce back some year right?

/jarmo

You would think so.  Thus far, history has proven you wrong.  I still remember Axl strutting out to sing "Free Falling" with Tom Petty to close the VMA's...those were the days.   
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2008, 07:27:21 PM »

Unless they send GN'R to the Olympics....

Ron sure can run. Give him a sip of Mimosa for "motivation". Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2008, 07:36:40 PM »

I agree about the exposure thing, but they've only sucked since 2004. The shows before that were quite good.
With rumored acts like Michael Jackson, Dr. Dre, and (saved the best for last) Guns N' Roses for 1 show, it's looking like the 2008 edition will redeem the show.

Get Guns N' Roses, we're amazingly happy. Get Dr. Dre, rap/hip-hop fans are happy, get Michael Jackson, pop fans are happy. Get all three and you got the best show in the last 20 years.

P.S. Send Fortus for the running portions and Pitman to make some performance-enhancing margaritas!  hihi
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: