Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 08:40:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Entertainment Weekly suggests GN'R could perform at VMA's
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Entertainment Weekly suggests GN'R could perform at VMA's  (Read 117747 times)
Death Cube K
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2008, 04:09:13 PM »

IMHO at worst... he (or perhaps even GN'R) pays a termination fee to Trent to get out of his NIN contract.... Expensive and a pain in the ass no doubt... but not IMPOSSIBLE.

Worst case is that he doesn't wanna be in GNR right now, he wanna play in NIN. He's with NIN now so Im led to believe he wanna play in NIN at the moment, and NOT GNR. If the contract doesn't stop him coming back, his own feelings and motivations will. He won't be back until he wants to come back...IF he wants to come back that is.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2008, 04:28:32 PM »

IMHO at worst... he (or perhaps even GN'R) pays a termination fee to Trent to get out of his NIN contract.... Expensive and a pain in the ass no doubt... but not IMPOSSIBLE.

Worst case is that he doesn't wanna be in GNR right now, he wanna play in NIN. He's with NIN now so Im led to believe he wanna play in NIN at the moment, and NOT GNR. If the contract doesn't stop him coming back, his own feelings and motivations will. He won't be back until he wants to come back...IF he wants to come back that is.

Agreed. IF he has no desire to return to GN'R (not sure we KNOW that to be the case)- then he won't. Works both ways too- IF he's in a contractual relationship with GN'R and violates it... then he'll either fork over a termination fee or pay a damages clause, etc. BUT Axl can't compel him to return to GNR any more than NIN can compel him to stay IMHO. All either party can do is make it expensive for him to do something contrary to their wishes. Slavery is long gone.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2008, 05:05:12 PM »

isn't azoff known for his skill in dealing with such issues?

plus,
if my memory serves me right chris even thought it wasn't necessary for him to be on the 2006 world tour before axl insisted.

I don't remember hearing that.

I do. You should listen to french sometimes. Wink

Still it would be great if Guns n robin could appear at vmas.

Yeah, that would be the best case scenario.

But if it just isn't possible, I'm sure alternatives could be looked into.

Reproducing robin sounds is not easy I reckon but for a few songs it may not necessarily have to be on a real guitar. Chris has his synth and his sequencer. Otherwise, I wouldn't hate seeing  b-head and foot together for a change.

That said, I partly agree with burnz007. It would be nice as MTV publishes Rock band but I don't think VMAS is that crucial.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 05:13:00 PM by ppbebe » Logged
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2008, 05:43:29 PM »

isn't azoff known for his skill in dealing with such issues?

plus,
if my memory serves me right chris even thought it wasn't necessary for him to be on the 2006 world tour before axl insisted.

I don't remember hearing that.

I do. You should listen to french sometimes. Wink

Still it would be great if Guns n robin could appear at vmas.

Yeah, that would be the best case scenario.

But if it just isn't possible, I'm sure alternatives could be looked into.

Reproducing robin sounds is not easy I reckon but for a few songs it may not necessarily have to be on a real guitar. Chris has his synth and his sequencer. Otherwise, I wouldn't hate seeing  b-head and foot together for a change.

That said, I partly agree with burnz007. It would be nice as MTV publishes Rock band but I don't think VMAS is that crucial.

when chris said he wasnt necessary?

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
leatherebel
VIP

Facts are the enemy of truth.

« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2008, 06:17:52 PM »

Chris said this in late 2000 when Axl asked him to be on the tour with them. He didn't say he was "unnecessary" per se but rather expressed surpirse that Axl thought he was needed in live performances.
I don't think he has been questioned or said it again since then.

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2008, 07:26:12 PM »

Hold up

little off topic

but Ive been reading people talkin bout Robin signing a contract with NIN

If he signed a contract with NIN does that mean his contract with GNR has expired?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2008, 10:25:26 PM »

Hold up

little off topic

If he signed a contract with NIN does that mean his contract with GNR has expired?

Been wondering the same thing myself.... I remember hearing back in the late 90's that the guys used to sign 2 year contracts with GN'R. If I'm not mistaken... when Finck determined that nothing really substantive was going to happen with GN'R at the expiration of his 1st contract (1997-99)... he bolted back to NIN the first time. Anyway, there's absolutely NO way to know this... but for the sake of argument... IF Axl was still using the "2 year" contract format and IF those contracts were most recently signed shortly before the Hammerstein shows in May 2006... they would have expired in the last 2 months...

Who knows though.... and w/o having seen the contracts... it's hard to know how significant that would be one way or the other anyway (i.e. perhaps Finck negotiated in a clause that allows him to go to NIN in dead times for GN'R with the GN'R contract suspended until he comes back- i.e. he receives no GN'R payment in the interim- but is required to come back when done with NIN to complete his term). Who the hell knows.... but an interesting question for sure...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2008, 12:17:33 AM »

Hold up

little off topic

Been wondering the same thing myself.... I remember hearing back in the late 90's that the guys used to sign 2 year contracts with GN'R. If I'm not mistaken... when Finck determined that nothing really substantive was going to happen with GN'R at the expiration of his 1st contract (1997-99)... he bolted back to NIN the first time. Anyway, there's absolutely NO way to know this... but for the sake of argument... IF Axl was still using the "2 year" contract format and IF those contracts were most recently signed shortly before the Hammerstein shows in May 2006... they would have expired in the last 2 months...

Who knows though.... and w/o having seen the contracts... it's hard to know how significant that would be one way or the other anyway (i.e. perhaps Finck negotiated in a clause that allows him to go to NIN in dead times for GN'R with the GN'R contract suspended until he comes back- i.e. he receives no GN'R payment in the interim- but is required to come back when done with NIN to complete his term). Who the hell knows.... but an interesting question for sure...

Yeah but why pick now to go back to NIN?

Remember we were told Axl was negotiating contracts?

never really said "WHAT" contracts.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2008, 01:36:49 AM »

Chris said this in late 2000 when Axl asked him to be on the tour with them. He didn't say he was "unnecessary" per se but rather expressed surpirse that Axl thought he was needed in live performances.
I don't think he has been questioned or said it again since then.
weird
because in all the years i have been here
i have never heard about a pitman interview

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2008, 02:12:43 AM »

I think people may be looking too much into these contracts. They are adults, maybe they could go by their word. Maybe the situation went like this: Axl said there wouldn't be any activity until the fall, Robin keeps in contact with the NIN camp, he tells Axl in their downtime, he's gonna tour with NIN this summer while these "negotiations" are going on and that he'll be willing to help out when needed. Logistically, he'll be available to play at the VMA's. Ideally, they'll play the VMA's, announce the album either right before or after, release a single, have the album come out in late October/November, and start touring around March or so. They could surely gather everyone for one performance, get all of the promotion going, and by then, the NIN tour should be over. Say the album comes out in mid-to-late November, that gives them a couple of weeks to rehearse and get ready to do promotion (Leno, Letterman, Kimmel, etc.), leading up to the album release. Maybe they could a New Year's show somewhere, then tour the US from March to May, then the rest of the world...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2008, 03:45:34 AM »

Hold up

little off topic

Well... I wouldn't be surprised if Robin's decision (not the NIN announcement- but the actual decision) pre-dated Dr. Pepper, Axl's response to Dr. Pepper, GN'R's new management team, etc. Maybe he figured GN'R was dead in the water for the foreseeable future and that he could squeeze in 1.5 to 2 years with NIN in the interim.... only to be surprised by the recent developments in the GN'R camp. One has the sense now that the album is apparently done that Axl and management handle all the "day-to-day" business of GN'R and only reconvene the band for touring as needed.

All that being said... I'll try to get us back on topic...

I definitely think GN'R should play the VMA's and erase the poor to mediocre impression they seemed to have left (although I don't think that performance was THAT bad) at the 2002 Awards. I would love them to be confident enough to come out... ditch the "medley" of greatest hits... and just rock out with a kick ass complete performance of "Better".
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 04:38:28 AM by MaoAxl » Logged

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
Thorne
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2008, 10:58:34 AM »

Lets say the guns play at the VMAs, that Robin can't make it and that the band feel they really need three guitarists. Maybe they could consider getting a big, nay, HUGE named guitarist to guest spot for them. Would be an extra boost to the publicity and promotion factor of performing at such a big event and solves the problem. And I don't have a particular person in mind before anyone starts mentioning Slash, personally I think it'd be best to choose someone who hasn't really been associated with the band before  Cheesy

If you hate Thornes then don't pick this Rose.....
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2008, 11:29:03 AM »

In that case I'd give preferance to anyone associated with chinese democracy.
basically whoever the band like I'm easy tho.

I don't think he said that. Huh

What he reportedly said is that he wasn't even supposed to play live but Axl was just like "man, you're coming and you're playing".

If you mean when he said this, that's in 2006.

he was under the impression that he wouldn't appear at shows because synth works are a bit different than other parts, I'd imagine.

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2008, 11:53:02 AM »

I don't think he said that. Huh

What he reportedly said is that he wasn't even supposed to play live but Axl was just like "man, you're coming and you're playing".

If you mean when he said this, that's in 2006.

he was under the impression that he wouldn't appear at shows because synth works are a bit different than other parts, I'd imagine.
I kinda doubt Chris said this in 2006 since he was in all the shows GNR did in 2001 & 2002.

leatherebel's late 2000 scenario seems to be a more likely timeline IF Chris did say anything along these lines.

Maybe in 2006 some mag just picked up on the old story to include in their show previews/reviews.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2008, 12:00:53 PM »

ask french that heard it from chris in person.
King Axl
Rocker

4/14/2012. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2008, 08:02:28 PM »

Hold up

little off topic

Well... I wouldn't be surprised if Robin's decision (not the NIN announcement- but the actual decision) pre-dated Dr. Pepper, Axl's response to Dr. Pepper, GN'R's new management team, etc. Maybe he figured GN'R was dead in the water for the foreseeable future and that he could squeeze in 1.5 to 2 years with NIN in the interim.... only to be surprised by the recent developments in the GN'R camp. One has the sense now that the album is apparently done that Axl and management handle all the "day-to-day" business of GN'R and only reconvene the band for touring as needed.

All that being said... I'll try to get us back on topic...

I definitely think GN'R should play the VMA's and erase the poor to mediocre impression they seemed to have left (although I don't think that performance was THAT bad) at the 2002 Awards. I would love them to be confident enough to come out... ditch the "medley" of greatest hits... and just rock out with a kick ass complete performance of "Better".

Well, if the Rock Band 2 rumor becomes fact, then it would seem likely that GN'R performs "Shackler's Revenge" at the VMA's....if they are committed to performing there, of course.

"Something, something, something, DARK SIDE. Something, something, something, COMPLETE".
freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2008, 10:32:09 PM »

Sure they are going to play it. Then vegas for new years, then the super bowl! Then they will tour the new album which was handed in 365 days ago  because "summer is the best time to release it", NO! "the Christmas buying season is", then it will be 2009, repeat, 2010, repeat, 2011, etc, etc, etc. Grin
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2008, 02:28:09 PM »

After reading alot of the posts on here I have to ask a question...you guys are aware that Guns N Roses does NOT revolve around Robin Finck right??
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2008, 02:31:57 PM »

Why you say that?

Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »

After reading alot of the posts on here I have to ask a question...you guys are aware that Guns N Roses does NOT revolve around Robin Finck right??

You're right to an extent. With Fortus and Thal- Guns could add a competent live replacement and probably weather his departure decently.

That being said... my concern goes back to when Finck left the first time in 1999. According to Brian May, who came in and did some recording with Axl (Catcher In the Rye?) at that time, Axl was pretty devastated and distraught by Finck's departure. So at least at one time... Axl considered a Finck a pretty damn important member of the band. IF that holds today.... well.... it's a bit of an issue IMHO. Furthermore, Finck elevated his live performances and stage presence in 2006-07 and had become the "2nd guy" on stage next to Axl according to many reviewers/critics. That's somewhat significant as well... at least until Fortus or Thal demonstrate a capability to step it up and fill that role.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 07:13:22 PM by MaoAxl » Logged

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: