Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 07:21:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228528 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Shackler's Revenge Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 105 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shackler's Revenge Discussion  (Read 497074 times)
GNFNR-UK
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #680 on: July 15, 2008, 07:56:27 AM »

Since the song is (Musically) written by Buckethead

I keep hearing this. Where do we have this information from?

I read it in this thread. Apparantly on his website there is a list of songs he has written for movies, one was called 'Shackler' but the movie was never released. This song is thought to be a sequal to this.
If i'm wrong could someone please correct me?

Previously GNFNRUK, long time poster at HTGTH who forgot his password and had 500+ posts, ooops!
SlashRock
Rocker

G'N'F'n'R

« Reply #681 on: July 15, 2008, 07:59:07 AM »

Good news I suppose, but I'll believe it when I see it.

'Excuse me whilst I kiss the sky!'
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #682 on: July 15, 2008, 07:59:40 AM »

This is great news, made all the more exciting by the fact that it's a track that I'd never heard of before.  I know very little about the videogaming industry but, judging by the extensive media coverage it receives, it should prove a very effective way of introducing GNR to a new generation.  For Axl's sake, as much as my own, I really hope that the final pieces of the jigsaw are slotting into place now and it won't be too long until we get confirmation of a release date for CD.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #683 on: July 15, 2008, 08:35:48 AM »

Actually, I think it could make it less likely to be leaked.

During development, strong NDAs are enforced pretty well for marquee games like this. They would be screwed big time if they (the developer) were the source of a leak like this. The only thing that managed to leak here--within a few days of its intended presentation--was the tracklist.... which was something prepared for presentation.

After / during manufacture, the game isn't going to be in anyone's hands that are capable of ripping it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the developer had to send a couple people to work on site at Geffen / wherever the raw tracks are, and the data was probably secured to not leave the location until the game was ready for manufacture. At that point, only the game data would be let loose... which may even be encrypted better than RB1 this time.

Anyone can rip great quality from a normal audio CD... but the best anyone will likely do with a game is record it while it is playing... if there IS a leak, it probably won't be a high quality leak.

Microsoft and the developer will receive a small number of test discs from the manufacturer for certification... I think they need at least 2 months to manufacture if they are planning on keeping this on the shelves when it comes out. Given the first game, the initial run could be quite low. So they may push disc printing out to mid-August if they are going to have the same quantities as the first game... then again, now that they've been through that once already, they may be printing righ now Wink

Master Tracks for RB2 were probably ripped to a proprietary in-house audio format.  In other words, they can't leak "indirectly" because nobody has the software required to play /convert the format.

Then the Master was probably worked on by Harmonix in house, and eventually coded in their proprietary format for the game.  Again, no chance, really , for anything to leak "indirectly".  The only way it's ripped to a "useable" format would be for someone working directly for Harmonix to do it, and they're not going to do anything that's going to jeopardize the company.

Once it's actually released, you'll see it in mp3 format pretty quickly.  It's relatively easy to play the song with the Xbox360 run into some sort of recording device (DVD-R, for example) with digital audio, in between the 360 and the display.  You play the song "perfect" on guitar, bass, or drums and you've got the full audio for the song.  Extracting an MP3 or WMV from the soundtrack of that recorded DVD (if that's the medium you choose) would be pretty simple.

BEFORE then, though, I agree.  IF the game leaks, it's going to leak close to release and only a very small handful of people with modded xbox360's could play it, anyway.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 08:40:17 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #684 on: July 15, 2008, 08:37:08 AM »

umm... are you still saying that it WILL be leaked, or not?

You're right... even if they farm out the testing, it's not like some tester is going to be able to rip the music to his ipod or whatever.

I think putting it in a game limits the chances of it leaking before release.

who knows what the big plot is, though... maybe we will hear it as soon as Wednesday when they demo the game??

Testing is done in house, on in house hardware.  Not much chance of the testers getting anything out.

Together again,
Elle
Headliner

« Reply #685 on: July 15, 2008, 08:39:31 AM »

Might have already been posted but news has spread to bbc too -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7507429.stm

'If we could take the time to lay it on the line
I could rest my head
Just knowin' that you were mine
All mine'
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #686 on: July 15, 2008, 08:43:09 AM »

Imo , shacklers revenge will be put out as a single soon, to faimiliarize the general public with the song,  (mabye in august)
and then when everyone knows the song and loves it, people will want to play it on the xbox, and then cd will come out in oct/nov

any takers?

I think it hits the radio and RB2 right about the same time, if not coordinated to arrive the exact same day.

Together again,
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #687 on: July 15, 2008, 08:46:48 AM »

I think a single release of this is iniment,

I mean GNR MUST know with the past leaks of their songs/bootlegs etc

that this song will get recorded and up'd to the internet in a matter of seconds once the game is released,

so they will want to kill 2 birds with one stone,

and collect the profit from rockband 2,

whilst ALSO

be getting media attention/profit from the single "Shackler's revenge"

They have one chance to cash in twice on this, so Im sure they will do the right thing...

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #688 on: July 15, 2008, 09:28:37 AM »

"Shackler's revenge"..."Shackler's revenge"....

Always we read a lot of setlists but this song never appeared...

I like the title

destroier
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #689 on: July 15, 2008, 09:41:15 AM »

So it's the revenge of a person who shackled another one - not the revenge of a person who has been shackled by another one? Confusing already.  hihi

hihi Just what I was thinking. I hope Shackler is the someone's name, and not a huge grammatical error.
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #690 on: July 15, 2008, 09:47:38 AM »

You play the song "perfect" on guitar, bass, or drums and you've got the full audio for the song.  Extracting an MP3 or WMV from the soundtrack of that recorded DVD (if that's the medium you choose) would be pretty simple.

Actually, all you'd have to do is beat the song on easy with just one instrument, (the bass most likely as it's the easiest) and you'd have the full song.  No need to play it with all the instruments. 

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
DoctorNo
Headliner

... but at least there's a reaction.

« Reply #691 on: July 15, 2008, 09:48:42 AM »

Maybe they don't have that much of a choice. This contract is for mutual benefit. It's not so that the Rockband producers really NEED Guns N' Roses - GNR is a really welcome bonus for them, but do not be mistaken - they are literally printing cash these months anyway.

Guns N' Roses on the other hand really NEED good PR right now, so there is a good chance the contract is slightly in favor of the Rockband producers and gives them the last word in how to deal with parallel distribution.

I don't want to be a naysayer, don't get me wrong, but from a purely economic point of view, our beloved band is not much of a Goliath right now.

There's nothing negative in your analysis. Like I said twenty pages ago, keeping this track under wraps until the game is released is win/win for both parties. Rock band is a big deal, and right now, it's sharing every other headline with the words "Guns N' Roses."

GNR got top billing at the press conference, above Dylan and AC/DC. Harmonix/EA obviously consider this a major coup - if not THE major coup of the soundtrack. It's one thing to say, "Rock Band 2, featuring the new track from GNR;" it's quite another to say "Rock Band 2, featuring the debut of the new track from GNR." This is a major arrow in EA's quiver, especially as the instrument-simulator genre gets even more crowded (GH World Tour introducing drums, Konami re-entering the genre with Rock Revolution). They will want to claim this as an exclusive for release.

And Guns need some good PR. It doesn't get much bigger than this. Seriously: about the only thing they could do to garner more attention than this, would be to co-headline a summer tour with Led Zeppelin, including a fully resurrected John Bonham. The longer GNR shares the headlines with Rock Band, the better, and there's no better way to sustain that anticipation than to keep the song secret. Releasing a single now would blow their load early. "Shackler's Revenge," no matter how good, would (in terms of hype) just become another song on a giant soundtrack.

If the contractual delays on Chinese Democracy really pertain to Universal trying to guarantee a return on their investment (to the extent that's possible in this industry), this could be the kind of event-level publicity that finally seals the deal.

My guess is, withholding any official release of the song until after RB2 launches is one of the conditions GNR agreed upon in licensing the song to Harmonix. Win/Win.

It's a partnership, a good partnership, that should make both parties (and us) happy.

Once it's actually released, you'll see it in mp3 format pretty quickly.  It's relatively easy to play the song with the Xbox360 run into some sort of recording device (DVD-R, for example) with digital audio, in between the 360 and the display.  You play the song "perfect" on guitar, bass, or drums and you've got the full audio for the song. Extracting an MP3 or WMV from the soundtrack of that recorded DVD (if that's the medium you choose) would be pretty simple.

I don't think it's even that involved. If I read correctly, RB2 will give you the option of listening to its soundtrack without actually playing - basically turning Rock Band into a jukebox. So, you're right, of course - as soon as the game is released, the song will hit the net. It would behoove them to release an official (purchasable) single of the track when the game debuts.

So, I stand by my analysis: we'll see the song released as a single concurrently, or very shortly after the release of Rock Band 2, but not beforehand.

Also: FWIW, I think it's an awesome name for a song, and if it rocks as hard as the aura it gives off... we will be kicking serious ass with toy guitars very soon.

I guess I'll keep it to myself.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #692 on: July 15, 2008, 09:59:34 AM »

You play the song "perfect" on guitar, bass, or drums and you've got the full audio for the song.  Extracting an MP3 or WMV from the soundtrack of that recorded DVD (if that's the medium you choose) would be pretty simple.

Actually, all you'd have to do is beat the song on easy with just one instrument, (the bass most likely as it's the easiest) and you'd have the full song.  No need to play it with all the instruments. 

Cheers,

Andrew

Yup, I know.

Note the OR in the highlighted passage from my quote......

I mention the instruments, however, because beating it  "perfect" with the mic would cause an issue:  Your voice would be mixed in with the rest of the audio.  Not exactly the way, I think, someone would want to get "pure" audio of the song....
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 10:02:19 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #693 on: July 15, 2008, 10:01:41 AM »

Once it's actually released, you'll see it in mp3 format pretty quickly.  It's relatively easy to play the song with the Xbox360 run into some sort of recording device (DVD-R, for example) with digital audio, in between the 360 and the display.  You play the song "perfect" on guitar, bass, or drums and you've got the full audio for the song. Extracting an MP3 or WMV from the soundtrack of that recorded DVD (if that's the medium you choose) would be pretty simple.

I don't think it's even that involved. If I read correctly, RB2 will give you the option of listening to its soundtrack without actually playing - basically turning Rock Band into a jukebox. So, you're right, of course - as soon as the game is released, the song will hit the net. It would behoove them to release an official (purchasable) single of the track when the game debuts.

So, I stand by my analysis: we'll see the song released as a single concurrently, or very shortly after the release of Rock Band 2, but not beforehand.

Also: FWIW, I think it's an awesome name for a song, and if it rocks as hard as the aura it gives off... we will be kicking serious ass with toy guitars very soon.

I'm fuzzy on the "jukebox" funtionality, to be honest.  You also may have to complete the song on playthrough before it's available to listen to via their playlist funciton.  I just don't have enough details to be sure.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #694 on: July 15, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »

People also need to realize this:

We're hardcore GnR fans.  WE know this stuff, and will seek out the new material.

The placement of this song in RB2, ON THE DISC, has a great effect for GnR: It introduces their material to a WHOLE new generation of music fans who might not otherwise hear GnR.  That's a pretty big benefit to this deal, IMHO.  The exposure, and the press of being touted as highly as they are by the Harmonix guys, will be a MAJOR benefit to them if they can piggyback a single and album release on it.

Together again,
Rapunzel
Yes, I will probably get banned again.
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #695 on: July 15, 2008, 10:10:53 AM »

It doesn't get much bigger than this. Seriously: about the only thing they could do to garner more attention than this, would be to co-headline a summer tour with Led Zeppelin, including a fully resurrected John Bonham.

a fully resurrected John Bohnam!!  rofl

How about touring with Roger and Pete!!!  yes

Man! The Supergroup is getting bigger and bigger!  ok

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly.
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #696 on: July 15, 2008, 10:18:46 AM »

People also need to realize this:

We're hardcore GnR fans.  WE know this stuff, and will seek out the new material.

The placement of this song in RB2, ON THE DISC, has a great effect for GnR: It introduces their material to a WHOLE new generation of music fans who might not otherwise hear GnR.  That's a pretty big benefit to this deal, IMHO.  The exposure, and the press of being touted as highly as they are by the Harmonix guys, will be a MAJOR benefit to them if they can piggyback a single and album release on it.

I agree.  Timing is now critical.  The single on iTunes should follow shortly after the release on Rockband at which point the albums release date should be announced.  It would be a shame if they don't use this opportunity to move on releasing the album before the end of the year as all momentum will be lost.

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
Schwarzgold
VIP

KAWUGI!

« Reply #697 on: July 15, 2008, 10:21:18 AM »

Come to think of it ... its the first time since the first wave of leaks (when? 2005?) that I am really excited and gettin' my hopes up.

Restraint is for suckers.
W. Adam S
Rocker

...Gone to the toilet

« Reply #698 on: July 15, 2008, 10:24:44 AM »

A nice bit of publicity here...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7507429.stm

'For Ricky to be any smarter he would have to die and come back as a turnip' - Trailer park boys.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #699 on: July 15, 2008, 10:42:57 AM »

Since the song is (Musically) written by Buckethead

I keep hearing this. Where do we have this information from?

here

The basic song structure was written by Bucket and Brain. Big B did a score for a film of the same name (never released) From what I can gather Axl liked the plot/ideas of the story and crafted lyrics behind the music. It's supposed to be a pretty guitar driven rocker of a song with an amazing hook/bridge.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 105 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: