Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 11:16:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Shackler's Revenge Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 105 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shackler's Revenge Discussion  (Read 476360 times)
Olorin
« Reply #1840 on: September 20, 2008, 04:34:58 PM »

And many of the old songs sound like they could've been recorded in the 1970s.....

/jarmo

Of course. Why is it ok to say some old GN'R songs have an Aerosmith or Rolling Stones kind of vibe, but to compare the sound of Shacklers to bands from the 90's is somehow distainful?

Olorin
« Reply #1841 on: September 20, 2008, 04:38:14 PM »

I hear that when Wttj came out people said 'it sounds dated and I don't think it will age well but still it freaking rocks!' hihi

Really? I didnt know that, I thought Welcome To The Jungle was like lightning from a clear sky when it hit MTV. Thats what I heard.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 04:55:35 PM by Jim » Logged
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #1842 on: September 20, 2008, 05:04:48 PM »

do think Shackler's sounds dated and I dont think it will age well.
Its the sound effects that I find a little passe, it sounded fresh to me back in the 90's when I discovered marilyn manson, rob zombie. I dont think dated means bad, it just makes you think of an era in music.
 People have said in the past that some of the new material has a classic zepplin/pink floyd vibe going on, would that be called dated? I dont think so since some of that music is considered timeless.
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #1843 on: September 20, 2008, 05:05:27 PM »

Woops, Agreed ^
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1844 on: September 20, 2008, 05:33:53 PM »

I hear that when Wttj came out people said 'it sounds dated and I don't think it will age well but still it freaking rocks!' hihi

Really? I didnt know that, I thought Welcome To The Jungle was like lightning from a clear sky when it hit MTV. Thats what I heard.

in 20 yrs time people will be saying SR was like lighting in the sky when it hit rockband2. who knows.

I do think it will date well like wtjj did.
On the whole, the song is fresh.
does NIN sound like zombie? do marilyn manson and other acts referred to in this thread sound alike? I don't think so.

this is a crossbreed, a new variety.

Olorin
« Reply #1845 on: September 20, 2008, 05:41:43 PM »

I disagree regarding this song, but I do feel the same way as you do about this song with other new material I have heard.

Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1846 on: September 21, 2008, 10:32:10 AM »

If Shackler's is 6 years old, and even the TITLE of the song was kept secret until the middle of this year, I wonder what other surprises could be in store?  I was a little afraid that perhaps we'd seen and heard everything from Chi Dem.  But perhaps not. 

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
alejoyp
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1847 on: September 21, 2008, 12:29:01 PM »

If Shackler's is 6 years old, and even the TITLE of the song was kept secret until the middle of this year, I wonder what other surprises could be in store?  I was a little afraid that perhaps we'd seen and heard everything from Chi Dem.  But perhaps not. 

Oklahoma, Sorry, Prostitute, This I Love, Seven, Leave Me Alone, Thyme, General, Ides Of March are just some songs that were rumoured here or there (n' a lot of others too) that we haven't heard yet ok
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #1848 on: September 21, 2008, 12:44:55 PM »

I am sure with between 30 and 86 songs recorded, depending on which rumors you think are 'more credible', we are in store for a LOT of surprises...

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1849 on: September 21, 2008, 01:08:02 PM »

how the album flows might be also a suprise

I disagree regarding this song, but I do feel the same way as you do about this song with other new material I have heard.

fair enough tastes differ like I like wttj and you prefer patience.

AC
Rocker

« Reply #1850 on: September 22, 2008, 04:22:18 PM »

IMO, the album will flow as such (follows the typical GN'R "album flow theme"):

1. Chinese Democracy - similar approach to a 'Welcome to the Jungle' sounding song, great for opening the album.
2. I.R.S. - same idea as 'It's So Easy', 'Dust N' Bones', and '14 Years' - all songs that don't seem to fit the remainder of the album (again, IMO)
3. Madagascar
4. Rhiad And The Bedouins
5. Prostitute
6. If The World (Would End Today)
7. The Blues
8. There Was A Time
9. Better
10. Shackler's Revenge
11. The Catcher In The Rye (J.D.S.) (As usual, they leave us with a taste of the style to come in the future albums)

a.

The more I read the more I'm confused, but the more interested I get...
DuffRock
Rocker

www.cafepress.com/patiencepays

« Reply #1851 on: September 22, 2008, 04:24:58 PM »

1. Chinese Democracy - similar approach to a 'Welcome to the Jungle' sounding song, great for opening the album.
2. I.R.S. - same idea as 'It's So Easy', 'Dust N' Bones', and '14 Years' - all songs that don't seem to fit the remainder of the album (again, IMO)
3. Madagascar
5. Prostitute
7. The Blues
8. There Was A Time
9. Better
10. Shackler's Revenge
11. The Catcher In The Rye (J.D.S.) (As usual, they leave us with a taste of the style to come in the future albums)

a.

CD is definitely the opener, it has a minute long intro that I really can't see being in the middle of the album

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1852 on: September 22, 2008, 04:25:20 PM »

Yeah............... CD is nowhere near WTTJ though.

its grungy and not very poppy whereas WTTJ is a phenomenon that our great great grand kids will hear.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #1853 on: September 22, 2008, 04:37:45 PM »

Yeah............... CD is nowhere near WTTJ though.

its grungy and not very poppy whereas WTTJ is a phenomenon that our great great grand kids will hear.

No question
ottosporteman
Headliner

Life sucks but in a really beautiful way...

« Reply #1854 on: September 22, 2008, 04:42:29 PM »

3. Madagascar
5. Prostitute
7. The Blues
8. There Was A Time
9. Better
10. Shackler's Revenge

a.

I don't agree, since
a) I don't think that Rhiad and Catcher will be on the album (I think axl said so himself in the MSG backstage to Izabel)
b) We don't know how Prostitute sounds
c) If The World seems like something a little out of place, so I'm ASSUMING it won't be in the first album either.

I would bet in something like:

2. Better
3. Song #2 / Message For You / Whatever The Name of The Song
4. This I Love (for what the descriptions look like - fire and ice, complex arrangements)
5. Something Unheard
6. The Blues
7. Madagascar
8. IRS
9. Shackler's Revenge
10. Something Unheard #1
11. Something Unheard #2
12. Something Unheard #3
13.There Was A Time

I'm pretty sure Axl holds a lot of surprises for us.

"Yippee-Ki-Yay Muthafuckers!!"
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1855 on: September 22, 2008, 05:00:02 PM »

For the record, I wasn't trying to start an argument old vs new.

I just don't see really any comparison to WTTJ at all.

It's gonna be very hard to track this album due to the melting ot of styles and the fact there are SOOOOOOO many ballads.

I think this flows fairly well:

1.Chinese Democracy
2.Better
3.I.R.S.
4.Madagascar
5.Rhiad
6.There Was A Time
7.The Blues
8.Shackler's Revenge
9.Message For You
10.If The World

Of course we got 4-6 songs that would slot in but its untelling what those sound like.

GeraldFord
« Reply #1856 on: September 22, 2008, 05:03:33 PM »

It might be better to have "Chinese Democracy" start side two.  peace
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1857 on: September 22, 2008, 05:05:37 PM »

No offense to anybody, but I just don't like CD enough to have it kick off the CD. It has always been one of my least favorite.

U have to think of the casual fan. first GNR record in 17 years............. CD is a good song but not the first thing I would want to introduce to people.

Although they did kick off UYI with "Right Next Door To Hell" so i guess it really doesn't matter what the opener is.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 05:07:13 PM by D » Logged

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1858 on: September 22, 2008, 05:06:08 PM »

One of the more anticipated songs included in the game, is "Shackler's Revenge." from Guns N? Roses, as it marks one of the first track released from their upcoming album ?Chinese democracy?. Being a fan of Axl Rose and GNR, I have tell you tell you the first time you hear the track, you?ll be surprise as too how much of a difference this track is to what many Gnr fans are a custom to hearing, as far as released material, not including any leaks that have surface online, it's pretty damn good.

http://www.sohood.com/1/content/view/5153/30/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
alejoyp
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1859 on: September 22, 2008, 05:21:09 PM »

One of the more anticipated songs included in the game, is "Shackler's Revenge." from Guns N? Roses, as it marks one of the first track released from their upcoming album ?Chinese democracy?. Being a fan of Axl Rose and GNR, I have tell you tell you the first time you hear the track, you?ll be surprise as too how much of a difference this track is to what many Gnr fans are a custom to hearing, as far as released material, not including any leaks that have surface online, it's pretty damn good.

http://www.sohood.com/1/content/view/5153/30/

Good review n' a great bridge to get back on topic  ok
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 105 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: