Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 02:34:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228119 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Shackler's Revenge Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 105 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shackler's Revenge Discussion  (Read 476070 times)
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1820 on: September 19, 2008, 05:58:47 PM »

according to saul,

"The basic song structure was written by Bucket and Brain. Big B did a score for a film of the same name (never released) From what I can gather Axl liked the plot/ideas of the story and crafted lyrics behind the music (which is not from the score). It's supposed to be a pretty guitar driven rocker of a song with an amazing hook/bridge."

OMG was written much earlier than that.

Shackler and Shackler's Revenge are different pieces of music aren't they?

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1821 on: September 19, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »

yes and 'DBZ, the history of trunks' and the lost film 'shacklers revenge' are two different films.
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1822 on: September 19, 2008, 06:07:08 PM »

yes and 'DBZ, the history of trunks' and the lost film 'shacklers revenge' are two different films.

So there just happen to be two bucket songs, both for soundtracks, both with Shackler in the title?  But different movies and songs?

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1823 on: September 19, 2008, 06:27:23 PM »

Guess there're at least three shackler songs.
a soundtrack 'shackler' for DBZ, a score for the film 'shacklers revenge' and a GNR song 'shackler's revenge'.

the shacklers revenge film didn't/hasn't materialized. I don't know if the song shacklers revenge was ever meant to be a soundtrack. But apparently it was inspired by the film.
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1824 on: September 19, 2008, 06:31:58 PM »

The song is really growing with every single listening. The only thing is that I don't like so much is the guitar solo. If it was more blues the song would be great.

but a "bluesy" solo wouldn't fit in with the context of the song...
it would sound so out of place , it would be cringe worthy
I admit its not the best gnr solo ive ever heard, but hey it fits with the song,
and theres some ass kicking parts in the short solo

Sure, no doubt of it. I guess I'm missing the bad-ass atmosphere of the blues of Guns. Anyway, the song is pretty amazing.

"...It don't really matter..."
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #1825 on: September 20, 2008, 09:38:10 AM »

Anyone know when Shaklers was written, could be an early recording of the new GNR from late 90's or early 2000?  I like the song alot but don't think its up with the best of whats recorded. 

'Shackler's Revenge' is 6 years old.
TVC15
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1826 on: September 20, 2008, 10:12:38 AM »

Anyone know when Shaklers was written, could be an early recording of the new GNR from late 90's or early 2000?  I like the song alot but don't think its up with the best of whats recorded. 

Thanks for the info.  peace
BodyCount
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1827 on: September 20, 2008, 12:28:43 PM »

Imagine that!!!

Now i think the song is great, let allone if you heard it 6 years ago!!

Can't imagine what to expect in the coming years  Tongue
Olorin
« Reply #1828 on: September 20, 2008, 12:59:32 PM »

Even older music Wink
BodyCount
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #1829 on: September 20, 2008, 01:07:16 PM »

Even older music Wink

That made coffee spurt outta my nose  hihi

True, but imo very up to date..
alejoyp
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1830 on: September 20, 2008, 01:16:41 PM »

The sound of SR surprised me... more like Oh My God n' that kinda industrial stuff than the other new material that we know... what do you think? I remember some years ago Axl said that back in 98-99 they recorded a lot of industrial stuff but they won't put it on the album...
On the song: I love it, catchy, but maybe too different to the classic Gn'R sound to realesed as a first single... Better may be a "better" decision IMO  hihi
btw I don't know why but I think that the first CD single will be a song that we never heard yet..  Huh
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #1831 on: September 20, 2008, 01:58:14 PM »

Even older music Wink

What kind of music isn't so called "up to date"? this new emo shit?

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1832 on: September 20, 2008, 02:02:19 PM »

Even older music Wink

What kind of music isn't so called "up to date"? this new emo shit? what kind of music is new and fresh?
I hear you.  I don't agree with people who say music sounds "dated".  Who's to say what music needs to sound like?  Since we're in 2008, music needs to have a 2008 sound?  Makes no sense to me.  The only reason people say that about GNR is because it's taken so long for the album to come out.  A lot of the songs sound like they could be on UYI III but since bands like Coldplay and Fall Out Boy don't sound like that, it makes it "dated"?  If they came out with an album similar to AFD, would people complain about that?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #1833 on: September 20, 2008, 02:18:55 PM »

I hear you.  I don't agree with people who say music sounds "dated".  Who's to say what music needs to sound like?  Since we're in 2008, music needs to have a 2008 sound?  Makes no sense to me.  The only reason people say that about GNR is because it's taken so long for the album to come out.  A lot of the songs sound like they could be on UYI III but since bands like Coldplay and Fall Out Boy don't sound like that, it makes it "dated"?  If they came out with an album similar to AFD, would people complain about that?
They would (complain, that is).  The same people probably call those of us who were a simple pair of jeans and a tee shirt 'dated'...not 'in style'.  Drive-by, ADHD Media - have to move on to the next big thing.  Thats BS...some things are timeless...good music is one of those (so are jeans and a T).

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1834 on: September 20, 2008, 02:45:59 PM »

what kind of music is new and fresh?

shacklers revenge for example.
alejoyp is just saying although made in 2002, it sounds very fresh to him. 

music doesn't date but sound does. for arrangement, production etc...

Olorin
« Reply #1835 on: September 20, 2008, 03:28:58 PM »

I do think Shackler's sounds dated and I dont think it will age well.
Its the sound effects that I find a little passe, it sounded fresh to me back in the 90's when I discovered marilyn manson, rob zombie. I dont think dated means bad, it just makes you think of an era in music.
 People have said in the past that some of the new material has a classic zepplin/pink floyd vibe going on, would that be called dated? I dont think so since some of that music is considered timeless.
I think contemporary was used as a description of new gnr material, but will it still be regarded that way by the time the new albums hit the shelf?
 Its been a long time but I believe much of it will and I also think much of it will be considered timeless. I still think Madagascar sounds fresh and beautiful to my ears, especially the 2001 performance which still gives me goosebumps.
There are a couple of new songs I have heard that have a dated sound and imo, Shacklers is one. I still think it rocks though smoking

alejoyp
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1836 on: September 20, 2008, 03:44:18 PM »

In january '99 interview with Rolling Stone, the magazine guy who listened nearly a dozen tracks from Chinese Democracy (CITR, IRS, The Blues, TWAT, Oklahoma...) wrote "Imagine Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti remixed by Beck and Trent Reznor, and you'll have some sense of Axl's new sound." That sound very original, not just industrial, not just classic, n' original mix. Also Beta n' Axl said several times that most opf the material has a Queen vibe... lots of Orchestal Arrengments (You can imagine Rob Zombie playin' a song like with piano n' orchestal arrangements or a funky flamenco-guitar tune??). Stinton n' several people also said the album just sounds like Illusions Gn'R... I think the album will have several styles n' different type of music, not as simple to put a label like "industrial", "dated", "classic" that don't say nothing...
Olorin
« Reply #1837 on: September 20, 2008, 03:55:19 PM »

Of course I dont imagine flamenco guitar in a Rob Zombie song. I'm comparing one song to the sound I heard in the the 90's from the likes of Rob Zombie, not all of them.

Hell, none of the new GN'R songs I have heard have the same sound as one another, they are all different in style.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1838 on: September 20, 2008, 04:11:31 PM »

And many of the old songs sound like they could've been recorded in the 1970s.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1839 on: September 20, 2008, 04:26:56 PM »

I hear that when Wttj came out people said 'it sounds dated and I don't think it will age well but still it freaking rocks!' hihi

Also Beta n' Axl said several times that most opf the material has a Queen vibe...
wasn't it some of the arrangements are kind of like Queen?  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 105 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: