Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 01:21:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228118 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Shackler's Revenge Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 105 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shackler's Revenge Discussion  (Read 476025 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1800 on: September 18, 2008, 11:50:43 PM »

SR could very well be a part of a Greatest Hits compilations in the future for exactly the reasons you don't think it will be.

By presenting a new GNR song to the world by this medium, it automically gets imbedded into the kid's minds that play these games because they play it over and over and over to master it and therefore have a unique connection to the song.  That connection is why this song will stand the test of time.  Like you said, this in not a new style of music but by presenting SR through RB2, GNR has once again started a revolution by bringing new rock n' roll back to the forefront and it uniquely belongs to this generation.

My wife, NOT the biggest GnR fan in the world (she's partial to the hits, but other than that....), has been singing the song all day long.  It's completely stuck in her head....we played it 2 or 3 times last night during a rock band session with a friend of ours.  She's hooked on it.

I think that's probably the reaction GnR was hoping for.  Whether it's the typical one, or not...we'll see.  But it's been pretty amusing for me to catch her humming and singing the song all day long.

Smiley

Gotta say I gave it a low rating after first hearing the leak.  But in its glory on RB2 with decent sound etc. I'm loving it.   

Maybe this will help make her a diehard fan like you.   Smiley
plasmabeam
Rocker

"There livin' fast and they'll die young!"

« Reply #1801 on: September 19, 2008, 12:17:24 AM »

I do love Axl's deep voice at the beginning of the song. That's one of the things I've always loved most about Axl is his many different voices. You listen to "It's So Easy," "Mr. Brownstone," "Sweet Child O'Mine," "Down on the Farm," "The Garden" and they all sound like a totally different person is singing. I don't know of any other singer out there who is able to change his voice in as many different ways and styles as Axl.

Yeah, I just picked up Buckcherry's new album the other day, and it actually bothered me a little how Josh Todd's vocals barely change from track to track. Now, I love Todd's voice (It reminds me of Axl and Chris Cornell at once), but some more vocal variety would rock.

I've worked too hard for my illusions
Just to throw them all away
GNRFAN20
« Reply #1802 on: September 19, 2008, 12:47:10 AM »

the dance part is the catchiest part in the song
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #1803 on: September 19, 2008, 02:05:07 AM »

what do those 2 lines even mean?  They are only tied together by both being emo cliches.  He has a demon inside him and it wont go away? Ok...sounds like he was hanging around outside of middle school locker rooms.  Then Ive got a feeling I wont be home today?  Why?  Why wont he be home.  When in the song is there ever a reason given as to why Axl wont be home.  Whats even going on? Or is it just kinda depressing lyrics?  Also, you can listen to almost any song multiple times and it can grow on you.  That just means that the melody kind of is non existant.   Im sorry there are some lyrics that tie together to form a theme and then there are these lyrics which are just lines thrown together with endings that rhyme with "way."  Again, I liked the guitars and wished the song was just a complete instrumental with just guitars.

And Axl's vocals?  What are you talking about? Its all synthesized.  1/2 the song sounds like My World

youre a tool...you are just trying to talk shit about the song...

He's one of those wannabe writers that hang out at Starbucks all day.

Or even worse...an English teacher grading an essay.

The song is the bomb.

i thought you weren't going to hear any new gnr songs
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1804 on: September 19, 2008, 02:06:36 AM »

what do those 2 lines even mean?  They are only tied together by both being emo cliches.  He has a demon inside him and it wont go away? Ok...sounds like he was hanging around outside of middle school locker rooms.  Then Ive got a feeling I wont be home today?  Why?  Why wont he be home.  When in the song is there ever a reason given as to why Axl wont be home.  Whats even going on? Or is it just kinda depressing lyrics?  Also, you can listen to almost any song multiple times and it can grow on you.  That just means that the melody kind of is non existant.   Im sorry there are some lyrics that tie together to form a theme and then there are these lyrics which are just lines thrown together with endings that rhyme with "way."  Again, I liked the guitars and wished the song was just a complete instrumental with just guitars.

And Axl's vocals?  What are you talking about? Its all synthesized.  1/2 the song sounds like My World

The song is the bomb.

I gave into temptation.

gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #1805 on: September 19, 2008, 04:00:01 AM »

The song is the bomb.

I gave into temptation.

you have now joined the dark side,
you can't turn back now, your one of us Smiley lolz

Im loving the song, and Im glad to see Axl is using different vocal layers and experimeting with different sound effects and what not

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1806 on: September 19, 2008, 05:16:25 AM »

The song is really growing with every single listening. The only thing is that I don't like so much is the guitar solo. If it was more blues the song would be great.

"...It don't really matter..."
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #1807 on: September 19, 2008, 05:18:59 AM »

The song is really growing with every single listening. The only thing is that I don't like so much is the guitar solo. If it was more blues the song would be great.

but a "bluesy" solo wouldn't fit in with the context of the song...
it would sound so out of place , it would be cringe worthy
I admit its not the best gnr solo ive ever heard, but hey it fits with the song,
and theres some ass kicking parts in the short solo

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
Mobenrad
VIP

Free of all these chains

« Reply #1808 on: September 19, 2008, 09:42:53 AM »

I admit its not the best gnr solo ive ever heard, but hey it fits with the song,
and theres some ass kicking parts in the short solo

Buckethead easily could have completed the circle by adding some minor sweep arpeggios mixed with some pick tapping in there somewhere. A shred solo would have fit this song like no other.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #1809 on: September 19, 2008, 01:51:41 PM »

So I finally heard "Shackler's Revenge" and I like it; I think it's a good song; it's solid. It's not great, however. It doesn't blow me away like most of the new songs have. It kinda reminds me "I.R.S." in the sense that it becomes a bit repetitive. I don't have an XBOX 360 or anything like that (the last game console I bought was a Nintendo Gamecube), but I imagine "Shackler's Revenge" being a good fit for that game; and it's probably a pretty difficult song to play.

I don't think it'd make a good single, though. If this is the first song people hear from Chinese Democracy there will be a lot of comments like "It took Axl 13 million dollars to make THIS?" "It took Axl a decade to make THIS?" Of course, there will be people who say that no matter how genius the songs are, but I feel "Shackler's Revenge" doesn't even compare to "Better" and "TWAT" and "The Blues" and all these other amazing songs that will be on Chinese Democracy. And even a lot of people in this thread have said that it took them a few listens before they really started to fall in love with the song, and you always want singles to make an immediate impact on the listener.

I initially agreed with you. After several listens... I am now convinced that "Better" and "Shackler's Revenge" are the two "surefire" hit singles we've heard so far (perhaps "Rhiad" too). They are upbeat modern rockers of manageable duration w/o sounding "sell outish" or contrived. Of course, I love almost all of the other new material (CITR, TWAT, Madagascar, etc.) but I would not be shocked if they end up achieving a kind of "Estranged" level of success... loved by critics and die-hards... but never really reaching heavy rotation. But what the hell do I know...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1810 on: September 19, 2008, 02:35:59 PM »

SR better rhiad and irs show stunning hybrid vigour. Cheesy

or change everything to fit in a bluesy solo and make the exciting song rather boring.

I take ballsy over bluesy. Every bit is effectual and the solo bit is the climax. 

the riff in the end is bluesy enough to me.

Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #1811 on: September 19, 2008, 02:43:02 PM »

The blues will never be boring, unless it aint done right.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1812 on: September 19, 2008, 02:55:58 PM »

from the blue.  sr isn't the blues.
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #1813 on: September 19, 2008, 03:02:12 PM »

from the blue.  sr isn't the blues.

Nope. I don't think anyone will be mistaking sr for the blues
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1814 on: September 19, 2008, 03:06:03 PM »

then why you brought up the blues out of the blue.
Gritty
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #1815 on: September 19, 2008, 03:11:01 PM »

nevermind
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1816 on: September 19, 2008, 05:16:13 PM »

NEWS

MTV Games and Harmonix Announce Real-World Gear for Rock Band 2

September 18, 2008 | 12:22 PM PST

Ladies and gentlemen, get ready to rock... real-world style. MTV Games and Harmonix have announced today that they are bringing real-world instruments, microphones, amps, and more into Rock Band 2.

"We believe that working closely with our musical instrument partners is crucial to our mission to deliver the most authentic music experience possible," stated Greg LoPiccolo, Vice President of Product Development, Harmonix Music Systems. "Whether it's picking out your P Bass?, finding the right finish & hardware for your drums, or choosing the best microphone for your singer's style, having real world instruments included within the world of Rock Band 2 is essential." -- Press Release

Check out the press release below, including the full list of partners which they have acquired.

ROCK BAND? Brings The Best Real World Gear to Rock Band 2

Licensed Partners Instrumental to the Authentic Rock Experience

New York, NY ? September 18, 2008 ? Harmonix and MTV Games announced today a new lineup of musical instrument manufacturers whose premier products will be appearing in Rock Band 2. Joining the list of amazing in-game instruments from the original Rock Band, will be real world microphones, new guitars and an array of industry leading drumsets from some of the music industry's most prolific manufacturers.

"We believe that working closely with our musical instrument partners is crucial to our mission to deliver the most authentic music experience possible," stated Greg LoPiccolo, Vice President of Product Development, Harmonix Music Systems. "Whether it's picking out your P Bass?, finding the right finish & hardware for your drums, or choosing the best microphone for your singer's style, having real world instruments included within the world of Rock Band 2 is essential."

The full list of musical instrument partners included is as follows:

Guitars, Basses and Amplifiers:

* Fender? (Including Charvel?, Gretsch?, Jackson?, Squier?, SWR?)

Drums:

* DW
    * Gretsch Drums?
    * Ludwig/Conn-Selmer
    * Pearl
    * SJC Custom Drum
    * Zildjian Cymbals

Microphones:

* Selnnheiser
    * Shure

Accessories / Additional Instruments:

* Ernie Ball
    * Electro-Harmonix
    * EMG Pickups
    * Fender?
    * Ludwig Drumsticks
    * Pro-Mark
    * Roland/BOSS
    * Vater Drumsticks
    * Vic Firth
    * ZVEX

Rock Band 2 features the largest music catalogue of any music-based videogame to date including over 100 songs on the Rock Band 2 soundtrack with an unrivaled blend of classic and new artists including AC/DC, Guns 'N Roses, Bob Dylan, Pearl Jam, Motorhead and more! With the addition of complete and immediate backwards compatibility for songs purchased from Rock Band's ever-expanding online music store and the ability to export most songs from the original Rock Band disc, the Rock Band music library will feature more than 500 songs by year's end.

The Rock Band online music store recently surpassed 21 million paid downloads since the game's launch in late November 2007. With more than 300 tracks available to date via disc and download purchase (complete list of tracks at www.rockband.com/dlc), the massive Rock Band Music Store allows players to preview and purchase downloadable individual music tracks, packs and albums from the vast selection of offerings available as they build their own custom Rock Band library.

For more information on Rock Band and Harmonix Music Systems please visit www.rockband.com and www.harmonixmusic.com.

http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=14349

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
dont_damn_me
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1817 on: September 19, 2008, 05:31:23 PM »

Anyone know when Shaklers was written, could be an early recording of the new GNR from late 90's or early 2000?  I like the song alot but don't think its up with the best of whats recorded. 

I could see one of the many albums to come having this industrial sound like Shaklers and Oh my god has, while the other albums could have different vibes.  One of long piano driven songs, another of punk and hard rock, , another of acoustic, maybe a live album?...who knows, axl does have his wide range of musical taste and could want to dedicate full albums to any given style...Hopefully find out soon.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1818 on: September 19, 2008, 05:40:19 PM »

according to saul,

"The basic song structure was written by Bucket and Brain. Big B did a score for a film of the same name (never released) From what I can gather Axl liked the plot/ideas of the story and crafted lyrics behind the music (which is not from the score). It's supposed to be a pretty guitar driven rocker of a song with an amazing hook/bridge."

OMG was written much earlier than that.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1819 on: September 19, 2008, 05:52:29 PM »

as for OMG, according to axl

"Musically the song was primarily written by Paul Huge over two years ago, with Dizzy Reed writing the musical hook of the chorus. Former member Duff McKagan as well as former employee Matt Sorum failed to see its potential and showed no interest in exploring, let alone recording the piece. When the demos were played for the new band, Josh, Tommy and Robin were as they say 'all over it.'"

"Paul Huge, Gary Sunshine and Dave Navarro appear on the song as well as Robin Finck. Robin's part was written by Paul and extensively manipulated by our producer, Sean Beaven. Robin was not involved in the writing of the final recording though did participate in the arrangement. All lyrics were written by myself. Additional programming (jack boots, screeching tires, etc.) was by Stuart White."
"Oh My God" press release September 22nd, 1999

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 105 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: