Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 02:18:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228119 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Who have Guns N Roses Influenced?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who have Guns N Roses Influenced?  (Read 20477 times)
bold
Banned
Opening Act

« on: July 04, 2008, 10:27:02 AM »

I am a massive Guns N Roses fan. Wish Axl would get his finger out and release Chinese Democracy. Anyway, thats another story.  I was having a discussion with another lad in the pub recently about who is better Guns N Roses or Nirvana. He made the point that Nirvana were better because they were more influential i.e influenced Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.

Do any of you guys know who Guns N Roses influenced?

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 10:51:40 AM »

There's a bunch of bands who were influnced by GN'R.

But up until quite recently, it wasn't cool to say it. It was always a lot cooler to say Nirvana.

Examples of bands influenced by GN'R: Manic Street Preachers, Backyard Babies and a bunch of other bands who started out in the late 80s/early 90s. There's also a lot of younger bands who have been influnced by the Sunset Strip scene. Which is a way to lump a bunch of bands together, just like with the Seattle scene, no matter that they don't sound alike....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 11:15:28 AM »

me! Grin

Chinese Democracy!
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 11:25:31 AM »

led zepplin

Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 11:40:17 AM »

Nobody good that's for sure. 

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 11:47:53 AM »

Velvet Revolver  Wink
Jack49
Opening Act

Use Your Illusion

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 01:38:55 PM »

Avenged Sevenfold were
Farid Bak
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 01:42:23 PM »

me, and my band when it was still alive lol. And well I think in some way they have influensed the whole music industry at one point.

Here Today..
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 01:48:35 PM »

I am a massive Guns N Roses fan. Wish Axl would get his finger out and release Chinese Democracy. Anyway, thats another story.  I was having a discussion with another lad in the pub recently about who is better Guns N Roses or Nirvana. He made the point that Nirvana were better because they were more influential i.e influenced Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.

Do any of you guys know who Guns N Roses influenced?

I wouldn't say Pearl Jam and Soundgarden were influenced by Nirvana considering they all came out around the same time.    And bands influenced by Nirvana tend to all sound the same (i.e. Muddle of Pudd)  Undecided

But Jarmo is right that it wasn't cool to admit you were influenced by Axl's music until at least the early 2000s.
Johnnyblood
VIP

Nothing.

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 02:44:47 PM »

I'm a fan but GNR weren't too influential because they weren't innovative. They were just really good at what they did. Quality is a hard thing to immitate. And they were on a level that no one could touch.

I do remember though that right after Lies came out everyone was doing acoustic stuff. Songs, parts of songs, whole albums. That's also when MTV started the Unplugged series. Hard so say if it was because of Lies, but a pretty intresting coincidence.

And I do think they influenced the course of mainstream rock music by being so raw and so popular. No way does Nirvana happen without Appetite beating a path in front of them. No way.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 02:51:51 PM by Johnnyblood » Logged

I've seen enough.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 03:13:34 PM »

gnr buttfuck over shitvana anyday.

GNR influence countless bands, even shit ones like Fall out boy and MCR.

html sucks
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 03:25:31 PM »

were f words in rock/pop lyrics before GNR?

I hear zep wasn't really cool after pistils till GNR.

pistols wasn't exactly innovative nor quality but influential.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 06:27:05 PM »

The media loved Nirvana.

There was a shift in what was popular after Nirvana made it big. MTV and everybody started paying attention to bands who had been around for years but were still somehat underground. Alternative music.

The interesting thing is that most bands who never made it big, no matter genre, would probably be considered alternative....  Wink

Anyway, that whole change is attributed to Nirvana and that's why their influence is always considered enormous.

The often forgotten thing is the fact that GN'R came out in a time when rock was pretty boring. Before Appetite For Destruction, what was the most exciting music on the radio?

Tiffany? George Michael? Def Leppard?

Maybe they didn't make the whole world wear bandannas at the time, but they managed to become one of the biggest bands on the planet on their own terms. It was ok to say fuck on the album if you had to.

It was ok not to be yet another pop rock band.

I also suspect that if Nirvana had kept going, their influence wouldn't have been made out to be as big as it is.

It seems like every band that makes it goes through the same process with the music press and media. First they're "the band to look out for", "the next big thing" (GN'R AFD), then the follow-up "will they make it?". If they do make it, it's "they're boring now, let's put them down". That goes on for a while and then they're again hailed as great for the stuff they did some years ago and/or ridiculed.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Sandinista
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 08:29:39 PM »

Tiffany? George Michael? Def Leppard?
HEY. That's some good shit right there.

Pearl Jam and Soundgarden were only influenced by Nirvana in the sense that all of the late '80s Seattle bands influenced each other. Guns N' Roses were a direct influence on Mother Love Bone, which would morph into Temple of the Dog and then Pearl Jam following the death of Andrew Wood.

I wouldn't agree that it's been uncool to acknowledge GNR as an influence either. There'll always be a section of the population who view GNR as '80s metal cheese-merchants, but they've always been acknowledged as one of the era's most respectable products.

At the moment, I know Avenged Sevenfold were deeply influenced by GNR, and probably Atreyu too, though they seem to be more towards the Crue end of the spectrum. Buckcherry, obviously, Hinder et al. Probably not the greatest legacy they could have left, but it's a start!
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 09:17:35 PM »

But Jarmo is right that it wasn't cool to admit you were influenced by Axl's music until at least the early 2000s.

Has to be remebered tho; We arent exactly talking about hollywood  version of Velvet Underground here.
As amazing and hot shit and [lots of superlatives here]as GNR were, they weren't among  founders,  pioneers or even early settlers of the genre or anything. And in general not in a good position to act as some sort of shiny bright beacon that radiates influence. You could even say that when compared to commercial success and critical acclaim of AFD and UYIs, GNR's influence remains kinda modest.
The fact that no one has been too eager to write, record or listen good ol fashioned hardrock  in 10+ years now isn't helping with the influence reaping.

As an irrelevant  sidenote, it's fun how surprisingly large amount of bands that were huge influence to GNR have proved to be exceptionally slow to die. (Stones, Aerosmith, ACDC  still alive and kicking,an incarnation of  Hanoi Rocks is up and running again..)

Heh,when discussing  " influence of GNR" I automatically talk of GNR in past tense, while you comfortably and instantly change "influence of GNR" to "Influence of Axl's music"
Gotta love teh diversity!we are all unique snowflakes and all that  ay? love love love love love love love love love love

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 11:24:48 AM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
GunnerRose
Headliner

You can make my money Tonight!

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 10:18:18 PM »

Here are some bands that were touched by members of The Guns....(lots of members)

Perfect Circle
LA Guns
Avenged Sevenfold
BuckCherry
Skid Row or Baz Solo
Lenny Kravitz-Slash wrote the music to his break through hit
Ozzy-Slash Played
Tool
Micheal Monroe
Gilby Solo
Izzy Solo/JuJu Hounds
Velvet Revolver
Every band that filmed a video on top of a skyscraper to copy Dont Cry...(plenty of them)
Eminem/Fred Durst---They followed Axl attitude
Everyband that stripped it down after GnR Lies was released
Snake Pit
Stinson Solo
Dizzy Solo
Camp Freddy
Tom Petty-Great Wide Open
Don Henley- Axl on Backup
NIN
Janes Addiction
West Akreem Band
Dexter- When he needed to get in the paper----He talks about Axl
John 5
Marilyn Manson
Micheal Jackson
Motorhead
RHCP
Bumble Foot- New Record
Duff's- Horrible Album
Hookers N Blow---kidding
Daugherty

Thats all I can think of....

LJ

RTK
Headliner

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 11:16:21 PM »

Axl's Music?
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 06:36:07 AM »

i think many rock bands today would claim to have been influenced by both appetite and nevermind.  they are the two biggest landmark albums of the past 25 years.  they've both touched thousand of muscians lives whether you like it or not.

but off the top of my head...bands influenced by gnr:  linkin park, killers, priestess, darkness, mastadon, kid rock, buckcherry, system of a down, avrnge sevenfold, my chemical romance, eminem, incubus, slipknot, korn

bands nirvana influenced...white strpies, beck, weezer, modest mouse, strokes, arctic monkeys, ryan adams, death cab for cutie, rem, the cure, rise against, at the drive-in,

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 07:20:27 AM »

Jake E. Lee former Ozzy and Badlands (High Wire is a classic song)guitarist stated he changed his entire style after hearing Slash play..How many bands began singing about edgier stuff? Take a look at band photos pre N' post AFD..The makeup/hairspray was much less prevelant. Fluorescent  clothing was often replaced w/ jeans, leather pants,  and t-shirts. Even Warrant went out and got tattoos..A great post AFD band to check out is Circus of Power (at least their debut)...
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 07:45:41 AM »

I think People are forgetting how much Nirvana and the alternative scene influenced Axl-he's said it in interviews, and I think clearly if you listen to the new stuff you can hear it-I'm not sure how many bands Guns influenced, but I think the musical landscape changed more after Nevermind came out than AFD-Axl at one time wanted Nirvana to open for Guns, and of course wore the Nirvana hat in the Don't Cry video-Guns simply blew other bands out of the water with great music in the late 80's, whereas Nirvana changed things musically, and attitude wise-they didn't just sings party songs, or love songs-I think Chinese Democracy is probably more influenced by bands from the 90's than form the 70's-Axl was a huge Jane's Addiction fan (although they were around in the 80's), NIN-Axl even had Moby in to possibly produce at the time-Nirvana was the last great thing to happen in music-Guns influenced bands just by how cool they were-it's tough to say how musically

libertad
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: