Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 03:22:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Matt Sorum To Perform At Charity Benefit For The Kenya Believe It Committee
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Matt Sorum To Perform At Charity Benefit For The Kenya Believe It Committee  (Read 5545 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: June 16, 2008, 06:06:35 PM »

MATT SORUM TO PERFORM AT CHARITY BENEFIT FOR THE KENYA BELIEVE IT COMMITTEE

MATT SORUM?renowned drummer for Velvet Revolver, Guns N? Roses and The Cult?will perform at a special all-star benefit in Kenya Sunday, July 6 at Ngong Racecourse. The concert will close-out the inaugural weekend-long benefit known as ?Kenya?s Biggest Charity Race,? organized by the Kenya Believe It Committee.

SORUM will share the stage with fellow musicians Stevie Salas (guitarist for Mick Jagger, Rod Stewart, George Clinton, Chris Daughtry), Bernard Fowler (background singer and vocal director of the Rolling Stones) and TM Stevens (bassist for Joe Cocker, James Brown, Tina Turner) for an unforgettable concert following a weekend of events. SORUM says, ?Playing music has been a gift in my life and has allowed me to visit many different places around the world. But this is an experience that I am truly honored to be a part of. I feel at this time in my life I want to give back and help people in need. Music has always transcended politics and brought hope. I hope that our trip will bring some smiles and happiness to this beautiful country and its people.?

During their stay, the band will also meet with young, poverty stricken musicians in the Kibera Slums, in an effort to provide unforgettable hope and inspiration. Salas, who was instrumental in organizing the performance, has visited Kenya twice in the past. He says: "What left the strongest impression on me were the children...Often they had no toys or material things to play with, but they always had giant smiles and never looked bored. A true inspiration!" SORUM beams, "love supreme."

The Kenya Believe It Committee?with the help of Dr. John Batten, CEO of the Poverty Eradication Network (PEN)?will distribute funds raised to various community projects focusing on maintaining sustainability. Charity Coordinator Jade Foster says, "With food shortages hitting the headlines, we must act now to move Kenya forward as a pioneering example of sustainability."

The three-day event, which begins Friday, July 4 and concludes Sunday, July 6, includes a performance by International Musicians at the Double Inn in Karen, polo matches between the Household Calvary of London and the Kenya Polo Team, a Grand Polo Ball, and a day of horse-racing topped by the all-star rock concert Sunday night. Foster says, ?Our aim is to push a strong message to international tourists and investors that we believe Kenya is moving forward in a bigger and better way."

www.kenyabelieveit.org

http://www.thegauntlet.com/article/698/12944/Velvet-Revolver.html

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 07:26:54 PM »

On his own site it says:

One wouldn?t normally associate MATT SORUM with charity events in Third World countries. But on July 6th, the notoriously hard-partying drummer for THE CULT, GUNS N? ROSES and most recently VELVET REVOLVER will take part in a special all-star benefit concert in Kenya, Africa.

This is the guy who didn't say a word about going to rehab and having to cancel gigs due to it, but now it's ok to use the "hard-partying" image to promote himself and a charity....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 07:45:52 PM »

On his own site it says:

One wouldn?t normally associate MATT SORUM with charity events in Third World countries. But on July 6th, the notoriously hard-partying drummer for THE CULT, GUNS N? ROSES and most recently VELVET REVOLVER will take part in a special all-star benefit concert in Kenya, Africa.

This is the guy who didn't say a word about going to rehab and having to cancel gigs due to it, but now it's ok to use the "hard-partying" image to promote himself and a charity....

/jarmo

Hey at least he's promoting a charity right?  Grin

gnrevolution.com
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 08:59:54 AM »

On his own site it says:

/jarmo

Hey at least he's promoting a charity right?  Grin

he'll probably just go there to see the savanna and go to some 5 stars resort while he's "helping" the Kenya cause...  Roll Eyes
Besides, I don't think hard partying helps much on charity events... but who am I to know about these things anyway...

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 02:08:24 PM »

This is the guy who didn't say a word about going to rehab

Uh, ya he did. 

He mentioned a stay in rehab on CF Radio in '06 and a more recent visit on CF Radio a few weeks
ago.

and having to cancel gigs due to it,

That was "alleged" by Weiland in a personal attack (with a foot out the VR door and an axe to grind), never proven as fact.

Since when did Scott Weiland become the harbinger of truth?

but now it's ok to use the "hard-partying" image to promote himself and a charity....

So what?

If his presence helps the charity, who cares?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 02:38:32 PM »

Stevie Salas - Guitar/s (Guitar player for Mick Jagger,Rod Stewart, George Clinton, solo artist, music Director/Producer for AMERICAN IDOL, Chris Daughtry, biggest selling album last year in the USA, and for Jordin Sparks this year.)

Matt Sorum - Drums (Drummer of Guns and Roses ,Velvet Revolver, The Cult.)

Bernard Fowler - Lead Vocals (Back ground singer and vocal director of the Rolling Stones for 25 years!)

Jara Harris - Bass ( Bass player for Slapbak, Digital Underground , Morris Day and the Time.)

A MESSAGE FOR KENYA FROM STEVIE SALAS: "You have all the beauties of the world in one country... people... animals... land... and oceans..."

When we told him about our event, he jumped on board, and enrolled his celebrity friends to play...

Stevie first visited Kenya in 2002, where he says, "It's so easy to make lifelong friends..." He jammed with "Goldfish," a local band for fun in 2006. Stevie, Matt and Bernard will be the final judge for the "KENYAN IDOL" band that wins the best theme song for Kenya Believe It!

Stevie says, "What left the stongest impression on me [of Kenya] were the children. Often they had no toys or material things to play with, but they always had GIANT smiles and never looked bored. A true inspiration!"

Thank you STEVIE, MATT, BERNARD and JARA for coming to rock and roll in Kenya, for Kenya!

http://www.kenyabelieveit.org/index.php/Latest/News3.html

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 02:58:11 PM »

Uh, ya he did. 

He mentioned a stay in rehab on CF Radio in '06 and a more recent visit on CF Radio a few weeks
ago.

Wow!

Did he laugh when he talked about it?

That was "alleged" by Weiland in a personal attack (with a foot out the VR door and an axe to grind), never proven as fact.

Of course not by Matt!

The truth, rock on!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 03:22:45 PM »

Uh, ya he did. 

ago.

Wow!

Of course not by Matt!

The truth, rock on!

/jarmo

Duff is a cool cat.  I have never seen sorum gone.  I have never seen him wasted on stage.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 03:57:50 PM »

Uh, ya he did. 

Wow!

Probably, so?

Does a laugh take away from the admission?

As noted by Duff in quotes below, both Weiland and Sorum were "gone" and Sorum took initiative to go to rehab and take Weiland with him, (and admitted at least twice on worldwide radio he did indeed go to to rehab) how can that be contrued as you said
"This is the guy who didn't say a word about going to rehab "?

The truth, rock on!

/jarmo

Realizing Matt is a guy who does rub a few the wrong way, here's a direct question:

Can Sorum do/say anything you will not take as self serving/self promoting or does your adamant and consistent disdain for him over ride all judgement and rule opinion?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 04:35:04 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 04:40:51 PM »

Here is my attempt at what Jarmo will say.

"When Sorum stops acting like a prima dona glorifying all he does and bashing Axl when its convienent but kissing his ass in case there is a reunion I will then and only then attempt to look at him in an objective light and give him the benefit of the doubt.  The same rules apply for Slash and Duff too.  Until they treat Axl honestly and fairly about the past will I be able to compliment them.  However there was that time in 2006 Slash did a tribute to Jimi Hendrix that was pretty cool.  Everyting else was just neat and nostalgic and after that I lose interest." 

/jarmo

Falcon, how did I do?  Jarmo, I am just kidding, so don't get mad or give me negative karma.  Just having fun.

Damnit Jarmo!  I said I was kidding!  Ugh!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 04:47:25 PM by Smoking Guns » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 04:48:03 PM »

As noted by Duff in quotes below, both Weiland and Sorum were "gone" and Sorum took initiative to go to rehab and take Weiland with him, (and admitted at least twice on worldwide radio he did indeed go to to rehab) how can that be contrued as you said
"This is the guy who didn't say a word about going to rehab "?

He didn't say anything at the time or when Scott made the accusations.

Only now he does? Not on his blog, not in a magazine but on his friends' L.A. radio show.

You said the accusation was never proven to be right. I showed you the quote where somebody else said it happened. Not Scott.

Are you happy with that?

Realizing Matt is a guy who does rub a few the wrong way, here's a direct question:

Can Sorum do/say anything you will not take as self serving/self promoting or does your adamant and consistent disdain for him over ride all judgement and rule opinion?

I think the guy got really lucky and has spent his time talking a lot of shit about his former band mates.

Then when he has another falling out, he tries to make amends. What a character!

Have you ever said anything bad about the guy?  Tongue

I just think the whole "hard-partying" thing is pretty fucking lame. Considering the Australian tour was canceled due to the "hard-partying", now it's used to further his rock n' roll image.

So, if he's gonna use it as his image, which is up to him to decide, maybe next time he could actually admit that he fucked up? Instead of being quiet about it for months and then act like it was something funny and cool.

That's what I meant with the "laughing about it" remark.

It seems like canceling shows due to addictions are kept quiet in this band, but then some time later it's all "huh huh huh, so I went to rehab huh huh huh. Cool dude! Party!".

Like it's another funny story to tell on radio and laugh about.

/jarmo

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 04:54:12 PM »

Well, I was pretty damn close. 

As far as a drummer goes, Sorum is pretty damn good.  As far as a person goes, that is where the problems start for many.  I like Sorum alright though.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 04:57:41 PM »

I think he's a good drummer-I'm not sure why people are obsessed with how he is as a person-it's rock n roll-unless your trolling blabbermouth everyday looking to see what he has to say,you probably would not notice

libertad
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 05:05:42 PM »

So I guess you wanna talk about how great of a drummer he is...

Instead of the issue that they canceled a tour due to him being in rehab without him saying anything about it until months had passed and it was another cool story to share with his pals.....

Fair enough.

/jarmo

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 05:20:23 PM »

So I guess you wanna talk about how great of a drummer he is...

Instead of the issue that they canceled a tour due to him being in rehab without him saying anything about it until months had passed and it was another cool story to share with his pals.....

Fair enough.

/jarmo

Jarmo, I agree with that part, but falcon's point is that it comes of as disengenious when you say these things because you don't like VR or Matt Sorum at all.  So no matter what, he can't win with you. But I agree he should have manned up then or don't man up at all.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 05:22:29 PM »

Matt went to rehab which means he at some time admitted to an addiction problem-for all I know, he may be still struggling with it, I don't know-Dave Navarro talks the same way about rehab-addiction can make you say strange, stupid things-been there, done that

libertad
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 05:25:08 PM »

It's nice of him to do charity work.

/jarmo

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 07:17:05 PM »

He didn't say anything at the time or when Scott made the accusations.

Only now he does? Not on his blog, not in a magazine but on his friends' L.A. radio show.

Again, so?

Does it really matter what form or when he admitted going to rehab? 

You said the accusation was never proven to be right. I showed you the quote where somebody else said it happened. Not Scott.

Duff also said Scott was equally a mess - doesn't  that make Scott responsible as well?  Weiland sure as hell didn't step up and be held accountable now did he?

I think the guy got really lucky and has spent his time talking a lot of shit about his former band mates.

Matt has acknowleged his luck many times, hasn't he?  Two former band mates (frontmen) have also talked plenty of shit on him so why do you hold Matt solely responsible?

It's a two way street. 

Have you ever said anything bad about the guy?  Tongue

Dude's had some seriously bad haircuts early on..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 07:30:43 PM »

Again, so?

Does it really matter what form or when he admitted going to rehab? 

Does it matter if it's gone from total silence into being something to laugh and mention in passing (not saying this was the case in this particular case, but it's been like that in the past)? Not really, just shows what kind of a person we're talking about.

I'm just making an observation about what I see posted on his web site promoting himself and what I saw unfold a few months ago.

It's very cool to be the hard-partying rock star. Great image. But please, next time you cancel a tour due to it, admit it. Just laugh and say "hey, I'm a hard-partying rock star, these things happen. The truth, rock on!".

Is that too much to ask?  hihi

I'm sure this fans will understand and forgive him. He's in a band that's all about the fans after all.

Duff also said Scott was equally a mess - doesn't  that make Scott responsible as well?  Weiland sure as hell didn't step up and be held accountable now did he?

I think he pointed out that Matt was a hypocrite....

You changed your tune. You went from saying it was never proven that Matt was to blame to saying "but Scott was to blame too".  Smiley

Matt has acknowleged his luck many times, hasn't he?  Two former band mates (frontmen) have also talked plenty of shit on him so why do you hold Matt solely responsible?

It's a two way street. 

Funny how you even admitted that "Matt is a guy who does rub a few the wrong way" earlier.....

/jarmo

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 08:38:48 PM »

You changed your tune. You went from saying it was never proven that Matt was to blame to saying "but Scott was to blame too".  Smiley

Harldy changed my tune, just pointing out the Matt may have not been soley responsible as one Scott Weiland alleged in his personal attack on Sorum.

There's obviously plenty of blame to go around, no matter how they chose to handle it - it just doesn't get under my skin or cloud perspective.

Funny how you even admitted that "Matt is a guy who does rub a few the wrong way" earlier.....

/jarmo

Not sure why you deem that assumption as "funny", it's obvous there's a few who just flat out don't like him and will spin everything he does as some sort of self serving master plan only done for personal gain.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 08:48:18 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: