Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 04:06:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 93 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th  (Read 428188 times)
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1400 on: November 13, 2009, 03:31:08 PM »

I heard the real Paradise City on the radio today on my way home, and boy did it sound good.  It was like listening to it for the first time after listening to that soulless abortion.

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1401 on: November 13, 2009, 03:46:53 PM »

I heard the real Paradise City on the radio today on my way home, and boy did it sound good.  It was like listening to it for the first time after listening to that soulless abortion.

The real PC is one of the greatest Rock Anthems of all time!   peace
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #1402 on: November 13, 2009, 04:12:49 PM »

Yeah the other day after listening to this version, I immediately listened to the original and it sounded better than ever.  I guess that's the one positive I can take from listening to this mess
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1403 on: November 13, 2009, 04:19:18 PM »

Yeah the other day after listening to this version, I immediately listened to the original and it sounded better than ever.  I guess that's the one positive I can take from listening to this mess

There is always a Silver Lining!
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1404 on: November 13, 2009, 04:20:18 PM »

There is always a Silver Lining!

Gray clouds give way to bright sunshine.
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1405 on: November 13, 2009, 04:30:13 PM »

i'd really like to know what lenths people are going to listen to the bside.  i've heard it once on youtube.. and couldn't even find it to download.  if its really bothering you that much.. just don't go to youtube and listen to it.  If you hear it on the radio, in bar or club.. then i think slash has managed to produce the most successful japanese B side in the history of rock.   The fact that rolling stone even wrote about is kinda funny.  just to be clear.. i don't like either song.. but the marketing move is brilliant.. i'm really looking forward to the album.. should be a gem.  i also really hope that this is the only song that cyprus hill is on.. .i liked the fergie parts and the girl from the pussy cat dolls could be good for a poppy song too..but don't really like the rap/rock..
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1406 on: November 13, 2009, 04:37:44 PM »

From Slash's MySpace:

HEY JAPAN:

Hey Japan Fans ? On Wednesday, 11/11 (that's today to you), you will get the first taste of Slash?s upcoming solo album with the release of "Sahara." The new single is a collaboration with iconic B?z front man, Koshi Inaba. Included with the single is a b-side version of "Paradise City," featuring Fergie and Cypress Hill's B Real and Syn Dog. Look for it at your favorite music store.

For all you other fans outside of Japan ? Keep your eyes out for those imports!

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1407 on: November 13, 2009, 05:04:07 PM »

i'd really like to know what lenths people are going to listen to the bside.  i've heard it once on youtube..

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=130152
http://www.metalsucks.net/2009/11/10/jesus-fucking-christ-slash-this-is-the-worst-fucking-thing-i-have-ever-fucking-heard/
http://www.prefixmag.com/media/slash/paradise-city-ft-fergie-and-cypress-hill-stream/34638/
http://www.bravewords.com/news/126027
http://www.chartattack.com/news/76685/slash-fergie-cypress-hill-redo-paradise-city
http://blog.limewire.com/posts/30280-today-in-covers-slash-fergie-cypress-hill-on-gnr-solange-knowles-on-dirty-projectors/
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/11/11/slash-revisits-paradise-city-with-fergie-cypress-hill/
http://www.rockstarweekly.com/content/view/1162/149/

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1408 on: November 13, 2009, 05:07:04 PM »

1987 just keeps digging that hole for himself.
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1409 on: November 13, 2009, 05:23:33 PM »

these are just news article.. again supporting my case that this is the most widely cover b side ever to appear on a japanese single.. my point is if you don't like.. just don't go to whatever website and sit on your computer and listen to it.  if you ever hear this song on the radio or in public.. i would pretty suprised and think it would be pretty nuts that a b side only released in japan makes it way to mainstream radio outside of japan. 
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1410 on: November 13, 2009, 05:24:44 PM »

how so?
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #1411 on: November 13, 2009, 05:31:34 PM »

Right or wrong, anyone can cover anything.... See Sympathy for the Devil, KOHD, LALD, Spaghetti Incident (entire album).  

Yeah, the hypocrisy here is quite amusing.  Obviously people are entitled to their opinions and may hate the cover of "Paradise City" if they choose.  Problem is, they're so consumed by their hatred of Slash that they disguise it via this "artistic integrity" or "it's an insult to the song" bullshit.  If that's the case, they I propose we immediately establish a thread where everyone who wishes to do so may open fire on Guns N Roses for the large amount of songs that they've covered and therefore "destroyed the artistic integrity".

I think the cover of "Live and Let Die" sucks, so on behalf of Paul Mccartney, I'm going to trash and slander GNR at every turn for ruining a classic song.

Anyone who hates GNR's version of "Knockin on Heaven's Door" may do the same to GNR in defense of Bob Dylan's artistic integrity.

Rolling Stones' fans may open fire on GNR for the awful cover of "Sympathy for the Devil".  I mean hell, the Stones were a tremendous influence on Axl, Slash, and co, and look how they repaid them?  They insulted the artistic integrity of one of their classic songs!  How DARE they!

After that, we've delve into The Spaghetti Incident and talk about how GNR affronted all of those artists too.

Personally I?m still pissed off that Charles Manson was so disrespected by Axl because he insisted on recording ?Look at Your Game Girl?.  Those were Manson?s lyrics, Axl!

Those GNR bastards, damn them!  Damn them for spitting on all of these songs over the years!

The poster a few pages back revealed the hypocrisy plainly by inquiring ?why should we hate Axl?s cover of ?Sweet Child o Mine?? for the Big Daddy soundtrack.   Why, because Axl re-recorded it with other musicians, musicians who didn?t play on the original!  That?s an insult to the artistic integrity of the song, right?  RIGHT?  That?s the whole buzzline of everyone around here.  NO SONG SHOULD BE RE-RECORDED BY OTHER MUSICIANS!

Again, everyone here can hate the new version of ?Paradise City? if they wish.  No one is denying you your right to do so.  But what needs to be pointed out is that your taste isn?t a fact.  And you?re attempting to establish your taste as a fact by hiding behind all of this hypocritical ?insult to the integrity of the song? horse shit.

It?s not that you think re-recording songs is an insult to the original.  If you did, you?d have long ago disowned Axl Rose and the original lineup for doing so many, many times.  It?s the fact that SLASH re-recorded it that you think it?s insulting.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 05:35:39 PM by Bridge » Logged
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1412 on: November 13, 2009, 05:42:47 PM »

how dare you.. the topic of this thread is about how slash and how he disrespected a song GnR did.. not about GnR's covers.. oh.. and that version of sweet child isn't a cover because a) it wasn't really released and b) it was still done by GnR and slash just isn't part of GnR anymore.  i figure i'll just say it.. because someone will.. don't even bother trying to ague or understand it..just accept it
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #1413 on: November 13, 2009, 05:49:32 PM »

Right or wrong, anyone can cover anything.... See Sympathy for the Devil, KOHD, LALD, Spaghetti Incident (entire album).  

Yeah, the hypocrisy here is quite amusing.  Obviously people are entitled to their opinions and may hate the cover of "Paradise City" if they choose.  Problem is, they're so consumed by their hatred of Slash that they disguise it via this "artistic integrity" or "it's an insult to the song" bullshit.  If that's the case, they I propose we immediately establish a thread where everyone who wishes to do so may open fire on Guns N Roses for the large amount of songs that they've covered and therefore "destroyed the artistic integrity".

I think the cover of "Live and Let Die" sucks, so on behalf of Paul Mccartney, I'm going to trash and slander GNR at every turn for ruining a classic song.

Anyone who hates GNR's version of "Knockin on Heaven's Door" may do the same to GNR in defense of Bob Dylan's artistic integrity.

Rolling Stones' fans may open fire on GNR for the awful cover of "Sympathy for the Devil".  I mean hell, the Stones were a tremendous influence on Axl, Slash, and co, and look how they repaid them?  They insulted the artistic integrity of one of their classic songs!  How DARE they!

After that, we've delve into The Spaghetti Incident and talk about how GNR affronted all of those artists too.

Personally I?m still pissed off that Charles Manson was so disrespected by Axl because he insisted on recording ?Look at Your Game Girl?.  Those were Manson?s lyrics, Axl!

Those GNR bastards, damn them!  Damn them for spitting on all of these songs over the years!

The poster a few pages back revealed the hypocrisy plainly by inquiring ?why should we hate Axl?s cover of ?Sweet Child o Mine?? for the Big Daddy soundtrack.   Why, because Axl re-recorded it with other musicians, musicians who didn?t play on the original!  That?s an insult to the artistic integrity of the song, right?  RIGHT?  That?s the whole buzzline of everyone around here.  NO SONG SHOULD BE RE-RECORDED BY OTHER MUSICIANS!

Again, everyone here can hate the new version of ?Paradise City? if they wish.  No one is denying you your right to do so.  But what needs to be pointed out is that your taste isn?t a fact.  And you?re attempting to establish your taste as a fact by hiding behind all of this hypocritical ?insult to the integrity of the song? horse shit.

It?s not that you think re-recording songs is an insult to the original.  If you did, you?d have long ago disowned Axl Rose and the original lineup for doing so many, many times.  It?s the fact that SLASH re-recorded it that you think it?s insulting.

There's a big difference between covering/remaking someone else's song, and transforming a classic hard rock song that you co-wrote into a lame ass pop/hip hop remake

GNR covering Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney's songs is nothing like this.  This would be the equivalent to Bob Dylan remaking KOHD with a Timbaland beat and trading verses with Snoop Dogg, or Paul McCartney remaking LALD with Akon and Britney Spears.  Of course, neither of those guys would be dumb enough to do something like that

As for Axl's re-recorded SCOM, that was 10 years ago, and I didn't like that version or the the idea behind it.  Good thing he didn't have a hand in this disgraceful remake although ironically Josh Freese had a hand in both.  In my opinion both remakes were bad ideas, but this one is quite a bit more shameful.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 05:53:43 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1414 on: November 13, 2009, 05:51:16 PM »

these are just news article.. again supporting my case that this is the most widely cover b side ever to appear on a japanese single.. my point is if you don't like.. just don't go to whatever website and sit on your computer and listen to it.  if you ever hear this song on the radio or in public.. i would pretty suprised and think it would be pretty nuts that a b side only released in japan makes it way to mainstream radio outside of japan. 

Yes, they are news articles...that have the song streaming.  You make it sound like this is some obscure b side that is hard to locate unless you go to YouTube.  And that's not the case.

Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #1415 on: November 13, 2009, 05:59:42 PM »

There's a big difference between covering/remaking someone else's song, and transforming a classic hard rock song that you co-wrote into a lame ass pop/hip hop remake

Actually it's not really hip-hop.  It just features Cypress Hill.  Melody-wise, the verses are sung virtually the same way as the original.

GNR covering Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney's songs is nothing like this. 

Diehard Dylan, Mccartney, and Rolling Stones fans who aren't GNR fans might disagree.  In fact, I've met people who are devoted fans of all three who despise GNR's versions of their songs and may indeed consider them insulting.
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #1416 on: November 13, 2009, 06:04:42 PM »

I like Slash's PC. It certainly won't have the lasting effect the '87 PC still has on me, but it's fun.

Fergie fuckin rocks, love her!

Could have done without Cyprus, but the art of music is in the hands of the creator.

But, Fergie is fantastic singin' PC.

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #1417 on: November 13, 2009, 06:20:45 PM »

Call me what you may...I think PC remake was attrocious.  Subtract CH from it (edit - reeeeeaaalllly hate the CH intro bullshit), and have Slash do something more dramatically different (in solo...was that an attempt at shredding?) and it would have been OK.  IMO it was Slash playing same-old-song with slightly diff arrangement.  On the plus side Fergie actually sounded good...and Slash can still play.

Sahara has a good rock vibe, but all I can think of is 'pokemon battle' cartoon when I hear the singer.  Please do not take offense...I am the problem there, since I only know dirty phrases in Japanese.  Again, good guitar work by Slash...the same way a 1957 John Deere can still plow the field...nothing new there.

I was excitied to hear his new work, and still look forward to his work with certain vocalists...but I am putting this in the 'slightly below my expectations' category.

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1418 on: November 13, 2009, 06:43:21 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, they are news articles...that have the song streaming.  You make it sound like this is some obscure b side that is hard to locate unless you go to YouTube.  And that's not the case.

[/quote]

my point is you don't have to listen to it unless you seek it out.  i can't stand that Jay z song New York... i;m a sox fan... but living in NYC and the yankees just winning the WS.. i can't escape it.   anyone who hates this or it makes them so upset for disrespecting the original.. never ever have to listen to it.. just don't click on
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1419 on: November 13, 2009, 06:43:37 PM »

how so?

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 93 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: