Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 04:13:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 93 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th  (Read 428218 times)
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #1380 on: November 13, 2009, 12:11:14 PM »

Duff hasn't felt compelled to re-record and re-release Guns N' Roses songs on his albums.

Technically, Slash hasn't either. Wink

As I reviewed that post, how'd I know you'd be there to split hairs over that part confused

Just thought I'd mention it, is all.

so if this abortion of a cover does by chance end up on the album, what would you say then?

Well, I'd be wrong. As far as we know, it's just the b-side to a Japan-only single.

I wasn't even being that serious when I said it really...

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #1381 on: November 13, 2009, 12:11:58 PM »

Anybody who doesn't know how it's possible to disrespect a song, and sees everything in terms of business obviously has no idea what it's like to be an artist.  Art isn't restricted to sculpture and paintings, but anything that you can create and leave your mark on... a part of you. When you fuck with it, it is a sign of disrespect, not to any one person or group of people, but to your creation, and by extension the piece of you that went into creating it.
And I know of a lot of extremely successful musicians who see music as a lot more than just a business (though there is obviously business running alongside, otherwise no one would choose to do it full time). Trent Reznor continuously turns down the use of his songs in commercials, and other money-making ventures for the simple reason that he doesn't want to taint his work, for example. He does release remix albums, but then his songs are the kind that are practically made to be remixed.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1382 on: November 13, 2009, 12:13:11 PM »

Ah, I guess I was right before. Recording Paradise City has generated a lot of discussion about the album. The master plan is working... Grin

Fuck 'Em All.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #1383 on: November 13, 2009, 12:16:02 PM »

Ah, I guess I was right before. Recording Paradise City has generated a lot of discussion about the album. The master plan is working... Grin

Wouldn't it be way cooler if instead of using a song by his former band as a cheap ploy for publicity, he used songs he actually wrote for the purposes of his solo record?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #1384 on: November 13, 2009, 12:17:21 PM »

Sahara has been growing on me alot, really like it now.. cool guitarinterplay aswell.

Paradise City still remains the same, pretty funky Cool
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #1385 on: November 13, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »

Sahara has been growing on me alot, really like it now.. cool guitarinterplay aswell.

Someone who wants to talk about something other than the PC cover? Shocked
Thank you... Sahara is definitely a grower.  It's kind of a shame that it won't be on the album.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1386 on: November 13, 2009, 12:21:38 PM »

Wouldn't it be way cooler if instead of using a song by his former band as a cheap ploy for publicity, he used songs he actually wrote for the purposes of his solo record?

Meh, it's gotten a lot of GN'R fans to listen to the song and comment on it, right? People like you for instance. Positive or negative, everyone now knows the album
is out there. If he had re-recorded a song off Snakepit, would you have listened to it? Nope. Slash is a marketing genius. Just look at the hotbed that this thread is.

Now, use some big words like 'integrity', 'passion', 'taste' etc. which some people here like to throw about...

Fuck 'Em All.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #1387 on: November 13, 2009, 12:25:16 PM »

I actually enjoyed parts of Snakepit..so yeah..I probably would have enjoyed that ok

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1388 on: November 13, 2009, 12:40:23 PM »

i guess my confusion is how can someone disrespect a song.. i mean its just a song..

Can you understand that the GN'R song in question might be more than "just a song" to some GN'R fans? And that these people might not like the fact that one of the original performers has re-recorded the said song with people who many GN'R fans don't really listen to/respect?

If some of you can get that into your heads, maybe you can drop the whole "it's just a fun song and only released in Japan as a B-side so you shouldn't care" routine.

/jarmo

no, i cant'.. look i love GnR.  they are prob my fav band of all time and AFD is my fav album of all time..  I was too young to see the original band.. but i got to see GnR in vegas in 01 and few times in NYC in 02 and 06.  PC to close the concert in vegas might have been one of my fav concert moments of all tiime..  covering the song has zero to do with how i feel about the song.. its his song.. he can do what ever he wants with it..  i don't see why anyone needs to defend the song.. if some U2 fan said that PC sucked..  or even if Slash came out and said that the original sucked and this version is better.. then obviously i would argue that the orginal is a gem of a song and defend it.. but i don't see what the harm in just covering a song is..
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1389 on: November 13, 2009, 12:54:32 PM »

something that i haven't seen mentioned yet... Wouldn't Axl have to ok the use of the song.. or atlease get royalties from it since its being covred on an official release??  i only say axl.. because i know he owns the rights to the GnR name..  this is just a question.. i'm trying to imply that anyone in the GnR camp approves of the cover.. but i would think there has to be some sort of deal worked out...  i don't think an artist needs to get any sort of approval from the original artist to perform a song live.. but i would imagine there has to be some sort of legal approval from the original artist to allow a song to be covered and officially released..
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1390 on: November 13, 2009, 01:00:24 PM »

something that i haven't seen mentioned yet... Wouldn't Axl have to ok the use of the song.. or atlease get royalties from it since its being covred on an official release??  i only say axl.. because i know he owns the rights to the GnR name..  this is just a question.. i'm trying to imply that anyone in the GnR camp approves of the cover.. but i would think there has to be some sort of deal worked out...  i don't think an artist needs to get any sort of approval from the original artist to perform a song live.. but i would imagine there has to be some sort of legal approval from the original artist to allow a song to be covered and officially released..

Axl probably wouldn't be involved. Slash's label will pay royalty to Geffen / Interscope from the sale of the song. Usually it's under a dollar per copy.
I don't know if since Slash plays on the original record, some sort of deal is involved, but that's unlikely.

Of course, IANAL, so I could be completely wrong.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 01:10:18 PM by Genesis » Logged

Fuck 'Em All.
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #1391 on: November 13, 2009, 01:21:29 PM »

The royalty would be payed out to the artists involved in the original. You dont need permission to cover a song.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1392 on: November 13, 2009, 01:38:29 PM »

Some more info for you: The rate is 9.1c per copy per CD.
The original authors for the song 'Paradise City' are: SAUL HUDSON, IZZY STRADLIN, STEVEN ADLER, W. AXL ROSE, DUFF ROSE MCKAGAN
The Label is: UNIVERSAL-POLYGRAM INT'L OBO BLACK FROG MUSIC

I'm assuming the other authors will get a share of the royalties from the song. You don't need permission for a cover but the author can
block the song if it deviates a lot from the original etc. I don't think Axl can be bothered.

Fuck 'Em All.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #1393 on: November 13, 2009, 01:41:08 PM »

its his song..
no. its not.  its a Guns N' Roses song.  Slash left Guns N Roses back in 1996 and hasn't been in the band since, and he's not coming back.   Therefore, he should leave the recording of Guns N' Roses songs to.. Guns N' Roses. 
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1394 on: November 13, 2009, 01:44:37 PM »

its his song..
no. its not.  its a Guns N' Roses song.  Slash left Guns N Roses back in 1996 and hasn't been in the band since, and he's not coming back.   Therefore, he should leave the recording of Guns N' Roses songs to.. Guns N' Roses. 

Right or wrong, anyone can cover anything.... See Sympathy for the Devil, KOHD, LALD, Spaghetti Incident (entire album). 
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1395 on: November 13, 2009, 01:47:45 PM »

its his song..

you really want to start this again???  Guns n roses is an entity not a person.. who was the person who wrote the guitar parts?  so when a copy of afd is purchased and that money goes to the lable.. and the lable pays gnr.. who are the poeple that get to cash the checks?  the guys that tour with Gnr right now?? just axl?  it goes to the original members who performed on the record. therefor champy.. its partially his song.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 01:53:32 PM by 1987 » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1396 on: November 13, 2009, 01:50:56 PM »

quote]
you really want to start this again???  Guns n roses is an entity not a person.. who was the person who wrote the guitar parts? 

Oh my....

But he didn't just fuck up the guitar parts of the song. The whole song sucks. The GN'R song.

Or are you suddenly claiming he wrote 100% of it?

And in response to your refusal to understand other peoples' opinions.

I thought that was supposed to be my "job"...

How ironic.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #1397 on: November 13, 2009, 01:55:11 PM »

seriously some people are way too touchy that not everyone approves of this.

obviously slash can do whatever he wants to do and no one can stop that.

i've gotten used to him playing songs like Mr Brownstone and Paradise City when he makes appearances, and sometimes he makes strange choices on who to perform these songs with.  But thats fine, thats just playing a song at a show for fun.  I don't care to see it, but I don't knock his right to do it.

but i'm allowed to think THIS is shameless.  and NO he didn't write the song himself.
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1398 on: November 13, 2009, 02:07:21 PM »

And in response to your refusal to understand other peoples' opinions.

I thought that was supposed to be my "job"...

How ironic.

/jarmo
[/quote]

pretty sure i was clear by saying he wrote the guitar parts.. never even hinted he did more..   i accept peoples opinion that the cover sucks.. I don't like it either.. what i don't agree with is how personal people take it..   and.. like i've said before.. you seem to be closer to the band than most fans.. so if you have a personal relationship with axl or whatever.. then i guess i could understand if the song means more to you.. to the overwhelming majority of us.. we have no ties to either slash or axl.. just fans.. they don't know us.. and if got ran over by a truck tomorrow neither of them would even know or care.. i'm nothing more than 1 of millions of fans who supported them financially.. by buying an album or concert tickets..   just a fan of the group and the albums.. what they do personally has zero to do with me.. so i don't get how someone can be so bent out of shape over the song.    
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1399 on: November 13, 2009, 02:51:23 PM »

OK, I finally got around to listening to the PC cover and I gotta say it's......pretty fucking terrible!  Embarrassed The Cypress Hill parts are shockingly bad. Fergie can sing OK though.  Saw this post at rollingstone.com: "First Fergie pisses on herself, now she pisses on GnR."  hihi hihi hihi

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 93 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: