Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:46:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 93 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th  (Read 428296 times)
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #1340 on: November 13, 2009, 08:19:25 AM »

you must hate the "Sweet Child" Big Daddy-release, too!  Wink

Why hate something that doesn't sound like shit?
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1341 on: November 13, 2009, 08:30:05 AM »

The biggest problem here is personal taste.

Apparently album sales or winning grammys is not equal to "quality".  I agree with that to an extent but then we have no way of ever measuring how good something is, right?

If we only have each others opinions, then no amount of arguing will change anything.

Do i like Slash?  Yes.  Do i like the PC cover?  Not really. 

Thats all there should be to it.  No need to drag out a big arguement about "Why" he released it.  im sure it was fun.

Do i like "My World"?  not really.  but i don't complain.  That album was still awesome and so will the solo album be Smiley

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #1342 on: November 13, 2009, 08:44:11 AM »

because fun isnt always to keep for yourself but entertaining others?

its the same song performed by different musicians, which have different styles of playing. That's all. They didn't change the intro for a lame hip hop base, they didn't add any extra lyrics, the guitar solo is where it should be and how it should be played... you can like it or not but it wasnt recorded just to get attention at any cost.

by the way, i cant say i prefer the big daddy version over the original, but I must say I really like Axl's vocals and that Robin's solo is fabulous.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #1343 on: November 13, 2009, 08:46:41 AM »

It does, though.
But even if it didn't, the main problem a lot of people seem to have is the principle of re-recording and releasing a classic song when there was no need to. That's why I have a problem with Paradise City even when I don't think it sounds like shit. It's why I have a problem with GN'R re-recording and releasing (kind of) Sweet Child O' Mine... it's completely unnecessary.
And before we get told that "this is about Slash, not GN'R"... the comparison is perfectly valid.
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1344 on: November 13, 2009, 09:13:03 AM »

i still find it hilarious that people really take it personal that he put a different version of paradice city on a b side to japanese single..   do i like the version?? no...  i'll prob never listen to it again.   do any of you really have a vested interest in any of the songs that slash has written??  if he wants to rerecord its totally up to him (and anyone else co wrote the songs).. why do any of you care? 
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1345 on: November 13, 2009, 09:23:47 AM »

i still find it hilarious that people really take it personal that he put a different version of paradice city on a b side to japanese single..   do i like the version?? no...  i'll prob never listen to it again.

Thats my exact feelings!  i don't like it, i won't be listening again.  i don't feel like i should be upset that Slash released it.

Some of the same people that have a problem with this are the same people that wanted Nu Guns to re-release YCBM for Terminator Salvation.

All parties from GNR should stay away from Guns songs unless its been played live.  No need to re-record any of the classics.

What i will say though is this, Slash could have re-released this closer to the old version with Chester Bennington on vocals and people still would've found a reason to hate it.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #1346 on: November 13, 2009, 09:24:06 AM »

Because a) it's unnecessary, and b) it shows a blatant disrespect to the song.
And in the age of the internet, there's no such thing as "only released in Japan" any more. Everyone has heard it.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1347 on: November 13, 2009, 09:29:37 AM »

b) it shows a blatant disrespect to the song.

i disagree.  Disrespecting the song would be if he played it note for note with a rock singer and released it as an actual single with a video etc.
That would be disrespecting Axl and everyone involved with Guns ever.
Putting a jam session version of it on a B side is not biggy

AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #1348 on: November 13, 2009, 09:32:31 AM »

I believe re-recording it at all is a major sign of disrespect. I don't give a shit if he disrespects Axl or anyone else... but to show such contempt for one of his songs is troubling to me. (And I actually quite like the recording for the record... except for the rapped vocals, which really doesn't fit the song at all).
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1349 on: November 13, 2009, 09:33:29 AM »

Because a) it's unnecessary, and b) it shows a blatant disrespect to the song.
And in the age of the internet, there's no such thing as "only released in Japan" any more. Everyone has heard it.
Exactly, all this "it's ONLY a Japanese B-side" discussion doesn't hold much water.  Like you said, everyone who wants to hear it can easily find it.  They don't have to travel to Japan or dish out tons of money like in the old days.  A few clicks on the computer and there you have it.  And people are going to be drawn to check it out.  "Hmm, Slash re-did Paradise City. I gotta check that out."  Especially if they check out the SINGLE first, and while it's a decent song, the English speaking public can't exactly sing along to it.  I know that doesn't bother EVERYONE, but it's just tough for me to get into.  I think the song would be so much cooler if I could sing along to it.  That's just me though.  Anyway, after hearing that they'll probably check out the song they're familiar with, then they'll decide.  And from what I gather, the reception hasn't been very positive from parties with no vested interests.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1350 on: November 13, 2009, 09:35:49 AM »

Putting a jam session version of it on a B side is not biggy

Not everybody agrees:
http://www.metalsucks.net/2009/11/10/jesus-fucking-christ-slash-this-is-the-worst-fucking-thing-i-have-ever-fucking-heard/

to show such contempt for one of his songs is troubling to me.

True.

Isn't this the same guy who said he wouldn't perform certain GN'R classics live a few years ago? Then he started doing it and now here we are.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #1351 on: November 13, 2009, 09:43:33 AM »

I won't bother to read all the replies, i just heard the song and here's my opinion, don't care if you hate it, it's my opinion...

As I posted it on FB with a link to the song...

WHY THE FUCK SLASH? WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU FUCKIN' DESTROY A PERFECT FUCKIN' SONG LIKE THIS... FUCK YOU... FUCK FERGIE, FUCK CYPRESS FUCKIN HILL... FUCK YOU ALL... SHAMELESS MOTHERFUCKERS...

P.S.: Steven Adler would have done a better job...

jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1352 on: November 13, 2009, 10:00:48 AM »

True.

Isn't this the same guy who said he wouldn't perform certain GN'R classics live a few years ago? Then he started doing it and now here we are.

Plans change.  Most of the other ex gunners still play those songs.

Not everybody agrees:

The internet is a tough beast.  CD got lots of bad press but we still support it on here.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1353 on: November 13, 2009, 10:20:03 AM »

True.

Plans change.  Most of the other ex gunners still play those songs.

Not everybody agrees:

The internet is a tough beast.  CD got lots of bad press but we still support it on here.
Well, we know Axl isn't thought too highly of by the press and the "general public" who have no clue why they feel that way, they just think it's the right way to feel since it's the popular sentiment. 

I thought Slash was immune to this sort of thing though.  I didn't think "the general public" or the press was capable of hammering him.  That just shows you how badly this cover is being received.

And, by the way.  Chinese Democracy DID get some pretty stellar reviews in the press.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1354 on: November 13, 2009, 10:25:31 AM »

I thought Slash was immune to this sort of thing though.  I didn't think "the general public" or the press was capable of hammering him.  That just shows you how badly this cover is being received.

Doesnt make much difference though.  these people are mindless fools half the time.
If the single with Ozzy rocks, which im sure it will, he'll have legendary status among those "fans".

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #1355 on: November 13, 2009, 10:52:01 AM »

Doesnt make much difference though.  these people are mindless fools half the time.

Ahh yeah anyone who doesn't like this recording is a "mindless fool" gotcha.
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #1356 on: November 13, 2009, 10:59:03 AM »

I really doubt that in Slash's mind he thought "Right, I'm going to deliberately record this song this way so I can ruin it and piss as many people off as I can". Obviously his intentions were good and most of the reactions I've seen range from bad to indifferent. He thought he'd put a different twist on it and it seems that the masses aren't warming to it. Big deal. It happens. At least he tried something different. Some people even like it. It seems that to some, it's important for an artist to play the music they want, unless those people don't like that music. Suddenly, doing what you want is a bad thing. I wonder how many people who rated the PC cover badly/indifferently would rate it if they ignored the fact it was a re-recorded version of a GNR classic. I think I might like it a bit more if I forgot about the original for a while. yes

Anyone who well and truly hates it should just forget it. What's done is done and it's out there. Maybe they'll like the actual album more. I probably will. Cheesy

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #1357 on: November 13, 2009, 11:03:35 AM »

Ahh yeah anyone who doesn't like this recording is a "mindless fool" gotcha.

To be fair, the person who said this has said numerous times that he doesn't like the recording, either.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #1358 on: November 13, 2009, 11:07:26 AM »

how many people who rated the PC cover badly/indifferently would rate it if they ignored the fact it was a re-recorded version of a GNR classic.

I liked it. But it's the idea of it I don't like. Nothing to do with who is on there, even. In fact, I can't wait to hear the original tracks that Cypress Hill and Fergie are on. But the idea of a classic track being re-recorded (no matter who it is, and who is doing the vocals) just makes me uncomfortable.
It's not a case of either you like the recording and agree with the decision, or that you hate both the recording and the decision... as me and jacdaniel have proven - we're coming from completely different angles...
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1359 on: November 13, 2009, 11:23:29 AM »

how many people who rated the PC cover badly/indifferently would rate it if they ignored the fact it was a re-recorded version of a GNR classic.

I liked it. But it's the idea of it I don't like. Nothing to do with who is on there, even. In fact, I can't wait to hear the original tracks that Cypress Hill and Fergie are on. But the idea of a classic track being re-recorded (no matter who it is, and who is doing the vocals) just makes me uncomfortable.
It's not a case of either you like the recording and agree with the decision, or that you hate both the recording and the decision... as me and jacdaniel have proven - we're coming from completely different angles...

beer

Thanks mate!  Your points are valid and you've taken the time to read mine properly.

Apologies about the "mindless fools" remark also.  i was just referring to some of the general public that just type what they think looks cool, nobody on here or in particular.

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 93 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: