Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:42:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 93 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th  (Read 428285 times)
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #1320 on: November 12, 2009, 10:48:51 PM »

If Slash wanted to do a Welcome To The Jungle and have Steven Tyler sing it, I doubt anybody would object.

Performing it live or recording it for commercial release?  two very different things.  The first one is acceptable, the second is a disgrace.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1321 on: November 12, 2009, 11:03:13 PM »

EDIT: just listened and holy shit that sucks.
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #1322 on: November 12, 2009, 11:05:12 PM »

If Slash wanted to do a Welcome To The Jungle and have Steven Tyler sing it, I doubt anybody would object.

Performing it live or recording it for commercial release?  two very different things.  The first one is acceptable, the second is a disgrace.

We get it Jim Bob ANYTHING recorded with Slash that is a Guns N' Roses song is a "disgrace".

If you have open ears then it's a a decent cover; obviously no one is claiming it is anywhere near as good as GN'R but it's fun and I think fergie does a great job vocally. It's Slash being loose and having some fun with friends on a song he made up , a glorified jam session and I love it. Can't wait for the whole CD!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1323 on: November 12, 2009, 11:32:11 PM »

u won't find a bigger Slash fan on this forum but i must admit, that cover of PC sucks bad.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1324 on: November 12, 2009, 11:41:08 PM »

Not only did the cover suck, he removed some of the nicest riffs from the song. The intro and the riff played during the "So Far Away" parts namely.

Fuck 'Em All.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #1325 on: November 12, 2009, 11:43:10 PM »

We get it Jim Bob ANYTHING recorded with Slash that is a Guns N' Roses song is a "disgrace".

If you have open ears then it's a a decent cover; obviously no one is claiming it is anywhere near as good as GN'R but it's fun and I think fergie does a great job vocally. It's Slash being loose and having some fun with friends on a song he made up , a glorified jam session and I love it. Can't wait for the whole CD!

Fergie is actually the least of the problems on the song.  Here is the problem:  Slash took a GNR classic that is the epitome of great hard rock music and turned it into a corny ass pop remix replete with glossy production, poppy arrangements, rap vocals, and most of all no balls.  It's not a matter of Fergie sounding bad, it's a matter of Slash castrating and ruining a GNR classic just to look cool and contemporary.  

It is not good, and it is not fun, it is cheesy, shameless and superfluous.  
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1326 on: November 12, 2009, 11:51:06 PM »

Not only did the cover suck, he removed some of the nicest riffs from the song. The intro and the riff played during the "So Far Away" parts namely.

Ah!  A guitarist I can talk to.

Not only those parts, but the whole song is slower.  The riff is going by so slow, and for the solo, he totally held back.

This song is a microcosm of his career since 1993. 
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1327 on: November 13, 2009, 12:00:03 AM »

Thanks to Smoking Guns and Rocker for posting the covers.  Both are great.  Music/guitars very strong, I think.  I'm not so familiar with Koshi and it's in Japanese so that's a bit...I guess, hard to get used to (someone compared his sound to to Geddy Lee, which I can see).  Loved the version of PC.  Awesome take on the song! Loved it.  I know there's been 5 or 6 pages here since the song was originally posted and I can't even begin to start reading it all, but some of what I saw was the same old bullshit.  There's some people here who can't even open up their minds to something a little new or different when it comes to GnR songs..or maybe it's just because...well....it involves Slash so therefore it must suck, right?  I've heard the Cypress Hill version, here and there, for a few years now and I love their "interpretation" or "take" on the song.  Gives it a whole different "vibe".   
The "interpretation" of the song sucks though, IMO.  It's awful, horrendous, and an overall embarassment to the original.  If it was good, (to me) it'd be different.  I'd be able to admit it and enjoy it.  The way it came out, I will NEVER listen to it again.  Can't believe I actually gave it a shot.  I heard the Cypress Hill version way back when and it was awful then.  Some things never change.  I could care less if Slash re-recorded UYI II with different singers, if it sounded good.  This was just disgustingly bad.

Anyhow, Fergie did sound alright.  I'll give her that.  And Slash was fine too.  There was just no need whatsoever for Cypress Hill.  To even compare this cover to Run DMC and "Walk This Way" is utterly laughable and disrespectful.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, it's just the way I feel.

Faldor, you knew you wouldn't like it before you heard it.  You do try to be objective, but very, and I mean VERY rarely do you EVER like ANYTHING Slash has done outside of GNR. 
Define rarely?

I liked his work in Velvet Revolver, though I felt he wasn't utilized enough.  But I loved Contraband.  That was in heavy rotation for me for a year plus.  Libertad I liked too, though it was a step down from Contraband in my eyes.  I REALLY liked "Messages" though, which wasn't on the album for some unknown reason.  Slash shined on that track.  I like that one solo song he did, "Vocalise" is it?  And even more recenly I liked his collaboration with Fergie on SCOM at Quart Fest, though a lot of that had to do with Fergie shaking her sweet ass all over the stage.  That was nice.  And even more recently I said I liked the "Sahara" track, just would've liked it more if I could understand it.  AND I even said I didn't mind Fergie on the Paradise City cover, Cypress Hill was the problem.  And you're right, I knew going into it I wasn't going to like it because I heard Slash and Cypress play the song YEARS ago and it was god awful then.  No amount of time in the studio could fix that.

I also bought the man's book and enjoyed reading that, and trust me I am NO reader.  The only books I've read in the past 10 years have been Slash's book and Reckless Road.  Some things Slash has done in recent years that I haven't been a fan of.

1) American Idol
2) playing SCOM with the Black Eyed Peas
3) playing/recording Paradise City with Cypress Hill
4) Appearing on the Ellen Degeneres show
5) Both versions of Snakepit and Blues Ball

There may be others on both sides that I'm missing, but that's all I can think of right now.  Basically it comes down to who Slash works with.  I'd rather hear Slash solo then hear him play with Cypress Hill, Nicole Scherzinger, either Snakepit frontmen, etc.  These are people I could care less about.  And I actually didn't even mind Cypress Hill back in the day, they just have no right touching any GNR classic.  I was a big STP fan so I was stoked about VR, and they delivered for me.  I can probably pick which songs on his solo album I'm gonna like.  I'm sure I'll like the tracks with Ozzy and Kid Rock.  I'm pretty sure I won't like the one with Nicole.  Fergie I don't mind, so I might be able to get into that one.  

Either way, I'm not as much of a Slash hater as you might think.  Far from it actually.  I just don't jump up and do cartwheels for everything he does.  Some of the stuff I just don't agree with.  Simple as that.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 12:09:18 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1328 on: November 13, 2009, 12:04:05 AM »

Damn Marc, faldor just read you the riot act.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1329 on: November 13, 2009, 12:10:09 AM »

Allow me to step down off my soapbox now. 

It wasn't that bad, was it?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #1330 on: November 13, 2009, 01:01:20 AM »

I don't see why its necessary for him to take Guns N' Roses songs and re-record them. 

read the posts here, dude is alienating some of his most hardcore fans.  of course you have the few who will bow down to whatever he's doing, no matter how shameless or distasteful it is.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 01:16:54 AM by Jim Bob » Logged
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #1331 on: November 13, 2009, 01:53:21 AM »

I don't see why its necessary for him to take Guns N' Roses songs and re-record them. 

read the posts here, dude is alienating some of his most hardcore fans.  of course you have the few who will bow down to whatever he's doing, no matter how shameless or distasteful it is.
[/b]

You have the few that do that with any artist. It's not necessary , I don't think he said it was. I doubt anyone here would qualify as "his most hardcore" fans considering this is a Guns N Roses board. I think it's just Slash and friends playing a song he wrote for some fun ; he's not trying to push it as a single in the states. He's not trying to advance his career based off of this, some people look too far into it.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1332 on: November 13, 2009, 02:38:37 AM »

Its a B side, get over it already.  Im not a fan of it either but i know the album will be much different than this.  (Im sure you'll disagree before listening)
Im excited by Marc Canters comments.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #1333 on: November 13, 2009, 04:27:11 AM »

Slash has released a couple of albums after oldGuns.....everyone at least having a few good songs on them, some of guest appearances have killer solos "Street Child"), count them together and there you have around 10-15 nice songs!
i really like the PC-version, something new, something different but still with the dude who wrote the guitar parts on it  peace

Re-Union time, baby!!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1334 on: November 13, 2009, 04:53:51 AM »

Allow me to step down off my soapbox now. 

It wasn't that bad, was it?

Ha, Gary and Faldor, its cool... I was giving Faldor a hard time..  No biggie, nice comeback.  I saw Tesla tonight, holy fucking shit, what an amazing live band!
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1335 on: November 13, 2009, 05:05:09 AM »

you have around 10-15 nice songs!

Id say even more.  beer
Most of contraband is very good.  at least half of libertad is good.  messages is awesome.
and 1 or 2 snakepit songs are good as well.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #1336 on: November 13, 2009, 05:24:18 AM »

I'm eagerly anticipating the album.

Just listened to the two Japanese releases....  Slash's guitar playing on "Sahara" is good but better than that singer deserves.  People here have said the singer sonds like Vince Neil... personally I'd say he's a cross between Vince Neil and Mark Slaughter.

"Paradise City" was a fun listen I thought.  It isn't ever going to replace the original but I highly doubt that was the intention.  I think people take it a bit more seriously than need be.  It sounds to me like it was obviously an exercise in fun for all involved, nothing more.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #1337 on: November 13, 2009, 05:30:02 AM »

an exercise in fun for all involved, nothing more.

then why release it?   its just a very stupid move.   dude has no shame or integrity, whatsoever.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #1338 on: November 13, 2009, 05:54:21 AM »

because fun isnt always to keep for yourself but entertaining others?
you must hate the "Sweet Child" Big Daddy-release, too!  Wink

Re-Union time, baby!!
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1339 on: November 13, 2009, 07:49:01 AM »

The Spaghetti incident album was also fun.

Nothing ground breaking but some cool jams of punk songs

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 93 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: