Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:29:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 93 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th  (Read 428485 times)
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #1280 on: November 12, 2009, 09:42:15 AM »

Thanks to Smoking Guns and Rocker for posting the covers.  Both are great.  Music/guitars very strong, I think.  I'm not so familiar with Koshi and it's in Japanese so that's a bit...I guess, hard to get used to (someone compared his sound to to Geddy Lee, which I can see).  Loved the version of PC.  Awesome take on the song! Loved it.  I know there's been 5 or 6 pages here since the song was originally posted and I can't even begin to start reading it all, but some of what I saw was the same old bullshit.  There's some people here who can't even open up their minds to something a little new or different when it comes to GnR songs..or maybe it's just because...well....it involves Slash so therefore it must suck, right?  I've heard the Cypress Hill version, here and there, for a few years now and I love their "interpretation" or "take" on the song.  Gives it a whole different "vibe".   
The "interpretation" of the song sucks though, IMO.  It's awful, horrendous, and an overall embarassment to the original.  If it was good, (to me) it'd be different.  I'd be able to admit it and enjoy it.  The way it came out, I will NEVER listen to it again.  Can't believe I actually gave it a shot.  I heard the Cypress Hill version way back when and it was awful then.  Some things never change.  I could care less if Slash re-recorded UYI II with different singers, if it sounded good.  This was just disgustingly bad.

Anyhow, Fergie did sound alright.  I'll give her that.  And Slash was fine too.  There was just no need whatsoever for Cypress Hill.  To even compare this cover to Run DMC and "Walk This Way" is utterly laughable and disrespectful.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, it's just the way I feel.

Faldor, you knew you wouldn't like it before you heard it.  You do try to be objective, but very, and I mean VERY rarely do you EVER like ANYTHING Slash has done outside of GNR. 

Maybe that says more about Slash's quality of work post GNR then anything else.....
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1281 on: November 12, 2009, 09:43:54 AM »

Maybe that says more about Slash's quality of work post GNR then anything else.....

I think Slash has had more success than anyone from the old band since leaving Guns.  Although Duff has had plenty also

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1282 on: November 12, 2009, 09:49:47 AM »

It's really confusing to me how people say they don't like Sahara because they don't understand it. Surely a good song is a good song no matter what language it's being sung in. Maybe it's just me, who listens to Rammstein, and really likes it when bands like Lacuna Coil and Nightwish have songs sung in their native language. You can always read the translation that's on the Youtube vid.

Well, I don't listen to songs in other languages so I'm certainly not used to it. If you don't understand the language it just sounds like noise on the track over the guitars.
Very annoying. Translations are good for understanding what he's singing but doesn't solve the above problem.

Fuck 'Em All.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1283 on: November 12, 2009, 10:24:43 AM »

It's really confusing to me how people say they don't like Sahara because they don't understand it. Surely a good song is a good song no matter what language it's being sung in. Maybe it's just me, who listens to Rammstein, and really likes it when bands like Lacuna Coil and Nightwish have songs sung in their native language. You can always read the translation that's on the Youtube vid.

Well, I don't listen to songs in other languages so I'm certainly not used to it. If you don't understand the language it just sounds like noise on the track over the guitars.
Very annoying. Translations are good for understanding what he's singing but doesn't solve the above problem.

There are a lot of US bands I can't understand, and I DO speak English.  I enjoy the song and like the vocals and the notes he hits!
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1284 on: November 12, 2009, 10:27:25 AM »

There are a lot of US bands I can't understand, and I DO speak English.  I enjoy the song and like the vocals and the notes he hits!

Each to his own I guess...

Fuck 'Em All.
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #1285 on: November 12, 2009, 10:48:51 AM »

For some reason I only like English lyrics and singing. Not German or anything else, not even Dutch either. It has nothing to do with how good the song is, it has to do with personal taste.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #1286 on: November 12, 2009, 11:21:13 AM »

Thanks to Smoking Guns and Rocker for posting the covers.  Both are great.  Music/guitars very strong, I think.  I'm not so familiar with Koshi and it's in Japanese so that's a bit...I guess, hard to get used to (someone compared his sound to to Geddy Lee, which I can see).  Loved the version of PC.  Awesome take on the song! Loved it.  I know there's been 5 or 6 pages here since the song was originally posted and I can't even begin to start reading it all, but some of what I saw was the same old bullshit.  There's some people here who can't even open up their minds to something a little new or different when it comes to GnR songs..or maybe it's just because...well....it involves Slash so therefore it must suck, right?  I've heard the Cypress Hill version, here and there, for a few years now and I love their "interpretation" or "take" on the song.  Gives it a whole different "vibe".   
The "interpretation" of the song sucks though, IMO.  It's awful, horrendous, and an overall embarassment to the original.  If it was good, (to me) it'd be different.  I'd be able to admit it and enjoy it.  The way it came out, I will NEVER listen to it again.  Can't believe I actually gave it a shot.  I heard the Cypress Hill version way back when and it was awful then.  Some things never change.  I could care less if Slash re-recorded UYI II with different singers, if it sounded good.  This was just disgustingly bad.

Anyhow, Fergie did sound alright.  I'll give her that.  And Slash was fine too.  There was just no need whatsoever for Cypress Hill.  To even compare this cover to Run DMC and "Walk This Way" is utterly laughable and disrespectful.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, it's just the way I feel.

Faldor, you knew you wouldn't like it before you heard it.  You do try to be objective, but very, and I mean VERY rarely do you EVER like ANYTHING Slash has done outside of GNR. 

well its pretty obvious you and a few of your cohorts here will priase ANYTHING slash does.  I think your mind was made up before this came out that it was going to be awesome! hihi

out of all the positive responses to this paradise city mutilation, I could have called 95% of this a week ago Smiley
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1287 on: November 12, 2009, 11:30:33 AM »

i have only listened to Sahara 3 times but that bridge is stuck in my head.

The bit where the drums come in alone and the delay guitar

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #1288 on: November 12, 2009, 11:37:50 AM »

Could everyone stop going around in circles? You're making me dizzy!
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #1289 on: November 12, 2009, 11:39:45 AM »

I think Slash has had more success than anyone from the old band since leaving Guns.  Although Duff has had plenty also

Success meaning what? Whoring himself out to whoever will play with him or put him on tv etc? Then certainly he is more successful at that. Still doesn't mean the stuff he has done since Guns is all that good.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1290 on: November 12, 2009, 11:47:08 AM »

Success meaning what? Whoring himself out to whoever will play with him or put him on tv etc? Then certainly he is more successful at that. Still doesn't mean the stuff he has done since Guns is all that good.

Releasing a great tune such as Slither was successful.  I've seen it on a few Top 100 polls.
Releasing Contraband.  The album sold a couple of million worldwide and allowed them to play to millions of people at events like live 8 and huge festivals.
Winning a grammy.
Releasing videos and touring the world. 

Ok, so VR broke up.  A guitarist without a band.  hmmm, what did you expect him to do Huh

He jams with Fergie every once in awhile, so what! Get over it already! 

Im not surprised some bands don't update their fan's or do promotional campaigns.  These days it seems to be called "whoring yourself".  hihi

Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1291 on: November 12, 2009, 11:51:25 AM »

For me, that portion is desperately missing a fill of some sort at 1:56-1:57. I keep adding it in my head.
Otherwise, it's a good bridge.

Fuck 'Em All.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1292 on: November 12, 2009, 11:52:58 AM »

For me, that portion is desperately missing a fill of some sort at 1:55-1:56. I keep adding it in my head.
Otherwise, it's a good bridge.

Anyone else think the guitar sounded a little AC/DCish

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #1293 on: November 12, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »

Releasing a great tune such as Slither was successful.  I've seen it on a few Top 100 polls.
Releasing Contraband.  The album sold a couple of million worldwide and allowed them to play to millions of people at events like live 8 and huge festivals.
Winning a grammy.

Ok, so VR broke up.  A guitarist without a band.  hmmm, what did you expect him to do Huh

Im not surprised some bands don't update their fan's or do promotional campaigns.  These days it seems to be called "whoring yourself".  hihi

You are equating commercial success to quality. The 2 don't always go hand in hand. It might have sold a couple of million albums but so does nickleback etc. Doesn't mean its any good.

Slash has always been a media whore doing credit card and car commercials etc. It's who he is, and it's about time you accept it.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1294 on: November 12, 2009, 11:55:26 AM »

You are equating commercial success to quality. The 2 don't always go hand in hand. It might have sold a couple of million albums but so does nickleback etc. Doesn't mean its any good.

Slash has always been a media whore doing credit card and car commercials etc. It's who he is, and it's about time you accept it.

Taste differs from one person to the next and we could argue all day and still have different opinions.  Smiley

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #1295 on: November 12, 2009, 12:00:07 PM »

Winning a grammy.

Yeah, and then after Contraband, after people complained that the production was too "nu-metal" and modern, Slash said that the guitars didn't sound right and threw the producer under the bus by saying he didn't really know how to record guitars.

Prior to Libertad he said he's never been more proud of his work than he was on that album, and that he'd had an amazing time making the album.  After it flopped, he claimed that Weiland had taken over the musical direction and that making that album wasn't an enjoyable process

So essentially he's putting out music that he's not satisfied with because he's either too lazy to get it right or doesn't have the balls to take a stand.

It is pretty obvious at this point that he cares more about being seen as "cool" and relevant than he does about making great music
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #1296 on: November 12, 2009, 12:05:43 PM »

I'll take that as a no, people won't stop going round and round in circles, despite the fact that no one's going to change anyone's mind and it's just a waste of effort from all involved.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1297 on: November 12, 2009, 12:51:50 PM »

Apparently this from Marc Canter on Facebook...
I heard Slash's Record today and it sounded very good!!

A little more from Marc Canter regarding his "very good"...

I was talking about the over all sound. The way it was recored. The songs that I heard were great. I didn't hear the whole record maybe 12 or 13 songs. I'm the type of person that needs to hear something like 4 or 5 times before I really know what there. I was not grading it like it was a baseball card Very good or mint, There was a lot of different things going on because every song had a different singer. I think there is something for everyone on this record. A wide range of music. I was very happy with what I heard so far.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #1298 on: November 12, 2009, 12:55:26 PM »

Some people seem to like using 'quality' to back up their arguments. Quality of music is subjective, people! Subjective! Gah.

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1299 on: November 12, 2009, 01:35:40 PM »

Apparently this from Marc Canter on Facebook...
I heard Slash's Record today and it sounded very good!!

A little more from Marc Canter regarding his "very good"...

I was talking about the over all sound. The way it was recored. The songs that I heard were great. I didn't hear the whole record maybe 12 or 13 songs. I'm the type of person that needs to hear something like 4 or 5 times before I really know what there. I was not grading it like it was a baseball card Very good or mint, There was a lot of different things going on because every song had a different singer. I think there is something for everyone on this record. A wide range of music. I was very happy with what I heard so far.

Out of 19 songs I guarantee there is at lease 1 song everyone on this forum will like, weather they admit it or not is another question.  Marc Canter is tight with Axl, so maybe the album does have potential.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 93 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: