Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 08:27:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 93 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Working on Solo Album - Release Date April 6th  (Read 428366 times)
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #1260 on: November 11, 2009, 10:56:58 PM »

i dont know what's the problem.

This is a GNR site. We love GNR because of its music. One guy that was in the band 13 years ago comes and does a cover of a GNR classic. Most of us think its a disgusting abomination , and we express it.

There are several examples of rock covers mixed with rap style that kick ass: 'Walk This Way', 'American Badass', etc, and there are very famous bands that mix rock and rap extremely well like Korn, Limp Bizkit (in some cases) and/or Slipknot. Well, this is not one of these cases. What I am REALLY, REALLY trying to figure out is what the fuck they did with the intro. The most significative part of the song is simple not there. They severely butchered the rest of the song but you still can identify the song. But what did they do with the intro? How can it be no one from the studio staff said to Slash ''hey mate, this thing we are recording is a shit. Your fans will hate it but, what is worst, it wont be recognized until the lyrics part comes. Just record it properly or skip the idea''

It's an irony that, if this cover has something barely decent in it, its not Slash but Fergie's vocals.

I don't like this Paradise City cover either, but maybe the point of this was to reinterpret the song?
Why play it exactly as it was recorded originally?

i dont see why it was necessary to cover it at all.

Wow, for once I think I actually agree with you... hihi

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1261 on: November 11, 2009, 11:09:17 PM »

After 2 days to let it sink in, I now love both.  4:03 is my favorite part of the Paradise City cover... Fergie did awesome and sang so clearly!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #1262 on: November 12, 2009, 12:39:02 AM »

This is a GNR site. We love GNR because of its music. One guy that was in the band 13 years ago comes and does a cover of a GNR classic. Most of us think its a disgusting abomination , and we express it.

There are several examples of rock covers mixed with rap style that kick ass: 'Walk This Way', 'American Badass', etc, and there are very famous bands that mix rock and rap extremely well like Korn, Limp Bizkit (in some cases) and/or Slipknot. Well, this is not one of these cases. What I am REALLY, REALLY trying to figure out is what the fuck they did with the intro. The most significative part of the song is simple not there. They severely butchered the rest of the song but you still can identify the song. But what did they do with the intro? How can it be no one from the studio staff said to Slash ''hey mate, this thing we are recording is a shit. Your fans will hate it but, what is worst, it wont be recognized until the lyrics part comes. Just record it properly or skip the idea''

It's an irony that, if this cover has something barely decent in it, its not Slash but Fergie's vocals.

I don't like this Paradise City cover either, but maybe the point of this was to reinterpret the song?

Wow, for once I think I actually agree with you... hihi
i'm sure its not the first time Wink
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #1263 on: November 12, 2009, 01:02:30 AM »

Thanks to Smoking Guns and Rocker for posting the covers.  Both are great.  Music/guitars very strong, I think.  I'm not so familiar with Koshi and it's in Japanese so that's a bit...I guess, hard to get used to (someone compared his sound to to Geddy Lee, which I can see).  Loved the version of PC.  Awesome take on the song! Loved it.  I know there's been 5 or 6 pages here since the song was originally posted and I can't even begin to start reading it all, but some of what I saw was the same old bullshit.  There's some people here who can't even open up their minds to something a little new or different when it comes to GnR songs..or maybe it's just because...well....it involves Slash so therefore it must suck, right?  I've heard the Cypress Hill version, here and there, for a few years now and I love their "interpretation" or "take" on the song.  Gives it a whole different "vibe".   
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1264 on: November 12, 2009, 01:14:44 AM »

Thanks to Smoking Guns and Rocker for posting the covers.  Both are great.  Music/guitars very strong, I think.  I'm not so familiar with Koshi and it's in Japanese so that's a bit...I guess, hard to get used to (someone compared his sound to to Geddy Lee, which I can see).  Loved the version of PC.  Awesome take on the song! Loved it.  I know there's been 5 or 6 pages here since the song was originally posted and I can't even begin to start reading it all, but some of what I saw was the same old bullshit.  There's some people here who can't even open up their minds to something a little new or different when it comes to GnR songs..or maybe it's just because...well....it involves Slash so therefore it must suck, right?  I've heard the Cypress Hill version, here and there, for a few years now and I love their "interpretation" or "take" on the song.  Gives it a whole different "vibe".   

Right on Lynn!  I think it kicks ass too!   ok
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1265 on: November 12, 2009, 01:22:31 AM »

Any idea when the Ozzy single will be out?

Fuck 'Em All.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1266 on: November 12, 2009, 01:25:56 AM »

Any idea when the Ozzy single will be out?

Chic on the radio says January...  I am sure it will leak before then...

Fergie did a kick ass job on PC, serious, she has attitude and range and great texture to her voice!  I can just see her rocking out in the studio.  Man, Slash laid down some sick licks... 
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #1267 on: November 12, 2009, 02:01:54 AM »

See..here we go..perfect example.  Lots of "rap" rock covers kick ass and  many bands can do it extremely well, but God forbid  that it should be PC and...gasp...Slash...who hasn't been in the band for fucking 13 yrs.  And why is it necessary to cover PC at all? 

Why not?  So what?

metallex78 said it right "..maybe the point of this was to reinterpret the song? Why play it exactly as it was recorded originally?"

That would be a very good point. 

I kind of think that when Run-D.M.C. did their version of Walk This Way, die hard Aerosmith fans had a heart attack.  They got over it.  So will some of us, here.   

jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1268 on: November 12, 2009, 02:46:49 AM »

Im not the biggest fan of this version of PC with fergie and cypress hill but i know its just a B side and at least they tried to doa  different take on it.
Im sure Slash could have directly covered it like below, and it would have been awesome ?

Some would still complain though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIP95c3FMb8

This whole thing of Slash being "over" GNR is insane.
What he means is that he longer wants to be in Guns etc etc.  Not that he will never play the songs he wrote again.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #1269 on: November 12, 2009, 03:58:47 AM »

I kind of think that when Run-D.M.C. did their version of Walk This Way, die hard Aerosmith fans had a heart attack.  They got over it.  So will some of us, here.   

"Some" might.... Wink

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #1270 on: November 12, 2009, 05:01:43 AM »

Cypress Hill annoy the fuck out of me on Paradise City. That song just doesn't work with rapped vocals... Fergie actually sounds pretty damn awesome, though.
As for Sahara... meh. It's not awful, but it's not that great, either. The guitar does sound good, though.
Uber-Tech
Opening Act

« Reply #1271 on: November 12, 2009, 05:12:13 AM »

Maybe the man has a deep seated need to alienate Guns N' Roses fans.

B-Side or not, limited Japanese edition or not, the point it is has been released. 

Yes, Slash helped to create some of the music we all love.  And now he's taken something we love and distorted and butchered it.  Worse, he's taken his own work and destroyed it.

If you don't believe in yourself, don't expect others to.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #1272 on: November 12, 2009, 05:14:18 AM »

and there are people who like it  Smiley

Re-Union time, baby!!
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #1273 on: November 12, 2009, 05:18:46 AM »

and there are people who like it  Smiley

I may not think it's as bad as most people believe, and actually quite enjoy the parts that doesn't have Cypress Hill in it... but I still think it was wrong of him to record the track and release it in the first place. I have no problem with him playing the song with these people live, and releasing original tracks recorded with them. But it still shows an enormous disrespect to the song (not even the band he wrote the song with... the song itself) that he released this version of it.

I am however, now really looking forward to the original track he did with Fergie for the album.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #1274 on: November 12, 2009, 05:27:24 AM »

As for Sahara... meh. It's not awful, but it's not that great, either. The guitar does sound good, though.

Yeah i agree.  im happy it wont make the cut for the album.  the guitar was cool around the bridge and the solo but overall i wasn't amazed.
i think the single with Ozzy will be a lot better.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
suicide
VIP

« Reply #1275 on: November 12, 2009, 06:07:57 AM »

Listening to PC for the first time... I like it. I prefer the original 'cause in my opinion it's impossible to improve the AFD-version. Since it's nothing like the original I don't mind it at all. I also think it's impossible for any band or performer to play any of the AFD-songs live like the original line-up did, and includes Slash, Axl, Duff, Steven and Izzy. To me, that was the greatest band ever!

The Sahara song I'm not so sure about, mainly 'cause I can't understand shit of what is sung. I'd love to hear an instrumental version though 'cause that solo rocks!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1276 on: November 12, 2009, 08:53:09 AM »

The "interpretation" of the song sucks though, IMO.  It's awful, horrendous, and an overall embarassment to the original.  If it was good, (to me) it'd be different.  I'd be able to admit it and enjoy it.  The way it came out, I will NEVER listen to it again.  Can't believe I actually gave it a shot.  I heard the Cypress Hill version way back when and it was awful then.  Some things never change.  I could care less if Slash re-recorded UYI II with different singers, if it sounded good.  This was just disgustingly bad.

Anyhow, Fergie did sound alright.  I'll give her that.  And Slash was fine too.  There was just no need whatsoever for Cypress Hill.  To even compare this cover to Run DMC and "Walk This Way" is utterly laughable and disrespectful.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, it's just the way I feel.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1277 on: November 12, 2009, 09:23:12 AM »

the japanese track i'll prob never listen to again because.. well... because i don't understand it.  It was a good move by slash thought to put one of japan's biggest stars on the album.  pretty good business  decision.  one to paradice city..  i hate the intro.. i know its slash with cypres hill.. i don't need to hear that in the song.  i'm not really a rap fan.. but i could see how rapping the verses and having a pop sing the chorus could work.. i think the song is good for what it is after the first verse.  the only other issue i have is i think if they were going to to do something like this.. they should have made it even more "poppy".  i mean i don't think any GnR fan is really going listen to this over the original.. but if it was done slightly different.. i could see it being a pretty big radio and club hit.  Then again its only B side..so i don't think comercial success was the incentive for releasing it.  He has played the song with cyprs hill a number of times.. maybe they just wanted to lay down the track for them selves..   

also is there a place to legally download this?  it not on itunes.. i don't like it enought to spend 30 bucks on the hard copy..
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1278 on: November 12, 2009, 09:28:17 AM »

The "interpretation" of the song sucks though, IMO.  It's awful, horrendous, and an overall embarassment to the original.  If it was good, (to me) it'd be different.  I'd be able to admit it and enjoy it.  The way it came out, I will NEVER listen to it again.  Can't believe I actually gave it a shot.  I heard the Cypress Hill version way back when and it was awful then.  Some things never change.  I could care less if Slash re-recorded UYI II with different singers, if it sounded good.  This was just disgustingly bad.

Anyhow, Fergie did sound alright.  I'll give her that.  And Slash was fine too.  There was just no need whatsoever for Cypress Hill.  To even compare this cover to Run DMC and "Walk This Way" is utterly laughable and disrespectful.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, it's just the way I feel.

Faldor, you knew you wouldn't like it before you heard it.  You do try to be objective, but very, and I mean VERY rarely do you EVER like ANYTHING Slash has done outside of GNR. 
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #1279 on: November 12, 2009, 09:35:33 AM »

It's really confusing to me how people say they don't like Sahara because they don't understand it. Surely a good song is a good song no matter what language it's being sung in. Maybe it's just me, who listens to Rammstein, and really likes it when bands like Lacuna Coil and Nightwish have songs sung in their native language. You can always read the translation that's on the Youtube vid.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 93 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: